Tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD SSE3 "Test 1"

Guest Ramm

353 posts in this topic

The not locking up, or the install overall?

The locking up came from being overclocked I think, in XP it was always fine, but I imagine there is less room for error with OSX, especially these beta builds and such, so I put my cpu back down to factory speeds and I have not locked up since.

I used the driver HERE for NTFS, and the macvidia drive for my 6800GS, and the broadcom script to enable my wireless card.

The install went without a hitch as long as I didn't install the NV40 package, and booted right into the OS setup after the reboot. All in all, this release is excellent!

My specs:

AMD A64 3200+

DFI Ultra nForce4 w/onboard sound - worked out of the box

Buffalo WLI12 G545 (Broadcom 4306) - works with the broadcom enabler script

nVidia 6800GS - macvidia driver

NEC DVD-RW

WD 120gb SATA

WD 250gb SATA

The not locking up, or the install overall? The locking up came from being overclocked I think, in XP it was always fine, but I imagine there is less room for error with OSX, especially these beta builds and such, so I put my cpu back down to factory speeds and I have not locked up since. I used the driver HERE for NTFS, and the macvidia drive for my 6800GS, and the broadcom script to enable my wireless card. The install went without a hitch as long as I didn't install the NV40 package, and booted right into the OS setup after the reboot. All in all, this release is excellent!My specs:AMD A64 3200+DFI Ultra nForce4 w/onboard sound - worked out of the boxBuffalo WLI12 G545 (Broadcom 4306) - works with the broadcom enabler scriptnVidia 6800GS - macvidia driverNEC DVD-RWWD 120gb SATAWD 250gb SATA
Thanks, I was wondering how you got the install over all to work. I think I may have misunderstood you when you said "couldn't write to my SATA and NTFS drives". So you got OSX to work, just you couldn't edit your NTFS drives? I thought you meant you couldn't install to the SATA drive, hence couldn't install OSX.BTW Stealth, I might also PM you later if my install doesn't work out. I have almost the exact same specs as you.

Installing. First time around, the installation ended, saying there were errors during the install. I'm now trying a second time, this time without the ATI X1900XT part.

Installing with everything unchecked (except the core of course)

VMWare successful, but can't get it form VMWare to Native. Burning to DVD now.

I would suggest not installing any of the optional stuff at the bottom. My installation failed when I checked the ATI X1900 one, and Stealth had trouble at the Login Screen when he checked the NV40 one.

Everything works except nForce4 SATA/ATA Raid and Reboot don't work which previously known issues. Stable and faster than JaS or other releases.
Did you have to do anything to get it to work from native?
No go on Opteron 170.
Does any release work on that? I have it as well.

I downloaded this version, burned it to dvd-r and then booted from it. I used mac utilities to format my hard drive(i have a new one coming so i was going to use this one as my experimental) I then began installing it. I left for about 10 minutes during the installation and when i came back, my computer was at the motherboard screen. When i press tab, it takes me to the bios menu(where it shows my memory, cpu, hd, etc.) and at the bottom it says, press DEL for setup, ESC to boot from disc, but whenever i press any of those buttons it does nothing at all, then after pressing it like 10 times it begins to make a strange clicking sound whenever i press any key.

I tried putting my hard drive in another computer as the slave, but it would not show up under "my computer" although i was able to locate it under the device manager. my Specs are as follows,

amd athlon 64 4000+

DFI lanparty UT nF4-d motherboard

XFX 7900 gt vid card

200 gb seagate IDE hd

2 512 sticks of ram

LG super drive

Thnak you SOOO much.

I downloaded this version, burned it to dvd-r and then booted from it. I used mac utilities to format my hard drive(i have a new one coming so i was going to use this one as my experimental) I then began installing it. I left for about 10 minutes during the installation and when i came back, my computer was at the motherboard screen. When i press tab, it takes me to the bios menu(where it shows my memory, cpu, hd, etc.) and at the bottom it says, press DEL for setup, ESC to boot from disc, but whenever i press any of those buttons it does nothing at all, then after pressing it like 10 times it begins to make a strange clicking sound whenever i press any key.

I tried putting my hard drive in another computer as the slave, but it would not show up under "my computer" although i was able to locate it under the device manager. my Specs are as follows,

amd athlon 64 4000+

DFI lanparty UT nF4-d motherboard

XFX 7900 gt vid card

200 gb seagate IDE hd

2 512 sticks of ram

LG super drive

Thnak you SOOO much.

Did you read the info on first page?

IF YOU PARTITION A DISK WITH THE BUILTIN DISKUTIL MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE MBR OPTION !!!!!!

Did you have to do anything to get it to work from native?Does any release work on that? I have it as well.

Yes, except those issues I mentioned in my previous post.

Wow, i cant believe i did not pay attention to detail at all. So is that why my hard drive is messed up? and is there any way to fix it?

I had this problem serveral times. I believe what you did was format your HD with GUID Partition Table or Erase without partition it first. What I think is Mac-Intel very sensitive with MBR. So if you don't use MBR then BIOS won't be able to boot after it lists all the devices.

I heard some people said they killed their HDs, appearently they did not. BIOS can only list the device but stuck from there.

Solve:

Method 1: Unplug your poor HD. Boot from OSX DVD. At Darwin kernel init, plug the HD power in. Follow the screen and re-format it using MBR.

Method 2: Use Seagate utility from their website. Boot from "that" floppy. Follow the instructions and erase it. T or 0, whichever you choose.

Thanks ximuI tried booting to disc (with a windows xp version i have) and then plugging the hd in, AND IT WORKED!!!!! its at 50% formatted right now!!!THANK YOU XIMU!!!!! i plan on trying to install 10.4.10 after i see that xp is working. thanks guys, specially ximu!!!!! :D:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Installed this at the end of last week... the 10.4.10.

My system:

eMachines t3410 (my trench warrior... not robust out of the box, but takes a beating)

Sempron 3400+ @ 2.0 GHz (Socket 754)

nForce 4 Chipset and integrated periphs

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT

2 GB DDR

1 x 150 GB PATA

2 x 250 SATA

The only thing that I can't get to work is the network.

Everything else, however, including USB Periphs and my wireless HIDs, are working fast. Aside from the network issue, the nforce 4 integrated ethernet, everything is tight and running well... no crashes, no exceptions. On install, ran through the whole process in about 20 to 30 mins from CD boot to restart. The system is very tight... I was actually surprised on how responsive and fast the system was and how much built-in access I had... all my SATA drives were present even in install, including my flash drives.

It doesn't like to be interrupted at the boot timer... I have to let it count down to zero and boot on its own. If I hit enter or disturb the boot counter, it gives me errors on startup and eventually just crashes out at trying to start the login widow. If I just leave it, it starts up fine. This extends to Chain0 via BCD... if I boot the system by setting the OSX partition as active, everythin is perfect. If I try via Vista's BCD through the Chain0, I get the errors when loading the system. This is not a big deal to me since I have no problem flagging partitions as I need them using either OS X or Vista, but it may cause a prob for others if they are experiencing it.

I have XP and Vista on the drive as well. OSX is installed to partition 3, Vista on Part 2, and XP on part 1. I shrunk Partition 2 to accomodate this OSX install. Nothing about my system or install was clean, but I had no problems or corruption anywhere. Before installing, I did create the new partition as id=af in Vista's diskpart before I installed since creating the partition in DiskUtil will harm the other parts in install since it will try and write its own MBR.

If anyone has any suggestions on getting the ethernet up and running, let me know... I'd be glad to hear it or try anything on my setup if you want someone to experiment. Tried the oldie but goodie forcedeth (forcedeth-nockd) kexts with no luck. I see the kext loading and it gets accepted, but I see no ethernet link coming up or notifications in the logs of anything ethernet related.

I'm about to try an install to a VMWare virtual machine.

any news about SSE2 support?

guess when i wan't to download this release i should do it now, before the people stop sharing it, but without a SSE2 PPF it will be useless to me

Got it to work. It is fantastic. Everything works for me, absolutely nothing is broken yet.

Sound works, internet works, software update just finished updating successfully, restarting works, no problems at all!

Great release!

I am VERY pleased.

I have only one PATA on which to install, but OS X is already on it and there is NO way I'm erasing it.

So....I d/l Gparted live cd and managed to resize the existing partition and make room for a 6 gig partition (Remembering to turn off Journaling on the drive before hand).

After the partitioning I had to make sure not to leave the new partition as "Unallocated" and partition it as NTFS. Afterwards I could easily reformat is as HFS+, but if I had left it unallocated not Disk Utility or Drive Genius or the WinXP Drive Manager were able to see the unallocated partition.

Booted with the DVD (What's with the long boot time on these DVD's ?? how come the Tiger Apple DVD's boot so so much faster ?). Installed with the NV40 package.

Everything works right off the bat.

:unsure: