Atheros AR5007EG, Who can help me?

Romil

97 posts in this topic

AR5007EG is not supported even in the current MadWiFi HAL, so the likelihood of any patches having made it upstream to Apple prior to the last OS update are nil, especially as Apple themselves don't use the 2425 in any product (nor is it likely to be used as all new Apple cards are pre-N compatible, and the 5007EG only supports B+G.)

Unfortunately, the Mac Mini's 5006EG implementation uses the same ven & dev IDs as my Abit AirPace (2425/5007EG-based) which only adds to the confusion as most Atheros drivers pick it up as a supported device only to run into a brick wall trying to initialise it.

AR5007EG is not supported even in the current MadWiFi HAL, so the likelihood of any patches having made it upstream to Apple prior to the last OS update are nil, especially as Apple themselves don't use the 2425 in any product (nor is it likely to be used as all new Apple cards are pre-N compatible, and the 5007EG only supports B+G.)

Unfortunately, the Mac Mini's 5006EG implementation uses the same ven & dev IDs as my Abit AirPace (2425/5007EG-based) which only adds to the confusion as most Atheros drivers pick it up as a supported device only to run into a brick wall trying to initialise it.

Not exactly promising news. In looking around on the net I found something by Orange.

Release Notes for v3.3

New In this release:

- Support for the Atheros 5414 chip

Release Notes for v3.2

New In this release:

- Support for the Atheros 2414 chip

So ... is anyone working on drivers for the AR2425 chip set ... AR5007EG at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked two separate postings I put in this thread and found them garbled together, here's a translation:

Check this link to get your atheros working

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=disk+image

bryan51 said: "It recognizes the built in Web Cam- Chicony"

I responeded: I searched Chicony and didn't find [the webcam driver] that you obviously found. Could I get more details? Thanks.

I think getting your 5006 wireless chip working is worth the info to get my webcam working...don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also had a 5007EG and did not work. I replace it with an Apple card (MA688Z/:D with a Broadcomm chip. Still the same problem! There's only FireWire showing up in the Network control panel. I booted up with Ubuntu and it's showing normally like my other Atheros card...

Now I have 2 questions:

1. I'm not an expert, could it be possible that the PCI-E bus is not recognize properly?

2. Is the installers in fault? I tried 10.4.8, 10.4.9 and 2 different 10.4.10 and always the same problem.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

aces is right, i re-installed vista after i couldn't get any network connections whatsoever in 10.4.10. When I tried to install the drivers for this particular card (5007eg) it was a bee-och! So I can only guess as to the difficulty the people writing the drivers are having. Btw... those select few who write drivers for hackintosh are amazingly brilliant people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have the same adapter on my Toshiba satellite a200-1m4 and I am trying to make it work on my Leopard x86 ToH but I can't manage with it. If someone can explain simply how to do it on Tiger maybe it would work on Leo too just like my sound driver. 10x a lot

• 4 weeks later...

THX all the same to everybody, but now my AR5007EG is still not work. ah~~ :=(

I tried all the ways which you said, and my Acer 5570z is still not work now.

Waiting for someone who can get it work,

and dont forget to tell us how to do.

• 2 months later...

Atheros AR5007EG

Chipset: AR2425 / AR5007EG

URL: http://atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm

Supports: 802.11b 802.11g

Interface: PCI-Express x1

Device Information: Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. Unknown device 001c (rev 01),Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. Unknown device 3065

Notes: not supported by HAL as of 2007.04.28 - resturns Hal status 13

Notes: Suported by ndiswrapper with windows driver, but some user reports crash problems

Notes: Instructions about how to use the windows driver + ndiswrapper

Notes: works fine with ndiswrapper, using old drivers, search ubuntu forums

Notes: Sometimes erroneously reported as an AR5006EG by lspci

Notes: Works perfectly with latest madwifi snapshot and this patch --> http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679

Notes: This patch is tested and working on:

Notes: Acer Aspire 5315, Acer Aspire 5613WLMi, Toshiba Satellite A210, LG E500 and more (post your models here)

Notes: How-to compile madwifi and the patch

I think that now when its suported from the MadWifi someone colud try to think out a solution

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems I am not alone...

I have an Aspire 4315.

Everything is working perfectly, LAN, Graphics, Sound etc. But no matter what I try, I can't get my Atheros AR5007EG (VenID: 168C DevID: 001C) to work. I'm desperate for some help with this, as I've fallen in love with OS X :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got that card working under Linux..

you need to fetch http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwi...6+ar5007.tar.gz

I don't know how to make a kext from it, yet... but I think it shouldn't be so difficult..

I use this script to compile

#!/bin/bash
madwifisvn=~/madwifi/ar5007eg
madwifisvnscripts=$madwifisvn/scripts
sleeptime=10
cd $madwifisvn
cd $madwifisvnscripts
echo Need root password to unload Atheros modules
sudo $madwifisvnscripts/madwifi-unload
sudo $madwifisvnscripts/find-madwifi-modules.sh $(uname -r)
cd ..
make clean && make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo depmod -aq
echo Sleeping $sleeptime Seconds
sleep $sleeptime
echo SysLog
tail -n20 /var/log/syslog

anyone care to tell me how to achieve the same on MacOSX?

RK

:D

I don't know how to make a kext from it, yet... but I think it shouldn't be so difficult..

#!/bin/bash
sleeptime=10
cd $madwifisvn
cd $madwifisvnscripts
cd ..
make clean && make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo depmod -aq
sleep $sleeptime
echo SysLog

RK

:)

DO IT! I dunno how to make kext, is it that simple take a driver and make it

• 4 weeks later...

#!/bin/bash
sleeptime=10
cd $madwifisvn
cd $madwifisvnscripts
cd ..
make clean && make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo depmod -aq
sleep $sleeptime
echo SysLog

RK

:rolleyes:

Well, I also unfortunately have the terrible luck of having this wireless card. Nothing so far has worked, including using Chun-Nan's Kexts.

In reference to roadkill's post, I also have gotten this wireless card working on linux with the patch thoes folks made. Apparently, something is slightly different with the 5007EG that they need to make the 5007EG work. Here is a discussion about the patch:

http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679

Was wondering if anyone could look at how the MadWifi was patched and apply it to the OSX drivers? A lot of people are having a ton of issues with this ethernet card, so we would really appreciate it :D.

• 4 weeks later...