934 replies to this topic

department27

department27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi

I have a dell d600. The card I have is the 5705M product id: 5725 (165d) vendor id: 14e4.

Tried all the above and i cannot get an ethernet connection.

Here is a log:

Jan 20 15:40:04 localhost kernel[0]: iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x1e8e
c000
Jan 20 15:40:04 localhost mDNSResponder-107.3 (Oct 28 2005 06: 01:53)[54]: start
ing
Jan 20 15:40:04 localhost kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFam
ily(1.5.0)@0x1e8d6000
Jan 20 15:40:04 localhost lookupd[52]: lookupd (version 369.1.5) starting - Fri
Jan 20 15:40:04 2006
Jan 20 15:40:04 localhost kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.7
)@0x1b2cf000

Any idea's.

Only thing I did not try is using the hex editor. Woudl try that if someone would give me the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

powrslave

powrslave

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
yes! bump for hex detailed instructions

Makkie

Makkie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its working on!

YES..

Only strange problem is. When i reboot the pc the network card is working.. When i reboot again, i must follow the procedure again.. it seems when i reboot the second time, he put something back.. so that i must do the steps again.

michaeljs

michaeljs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

blah ...

copy my modyfied extension into the /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

Change/Add device into the Info.plist ( still needed, if this not help you must patch with hexeditor my kext )

then run

sudo -s
cd /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

and reboot.

Patching with Hexeditor :

-Expample, device id 169c ( bcm 5788 )
-patch on hex 37336 from "66 81 FA 59 16" to "66 81 FA 9C 16".

Thats all. I will patch the 10.4.4 drivers too, but currently try to run the 10.4.3

Help please! Also an OSX newbie.

I can paste the kext file into the plugins directory, but I don't know how to do this step:

Change/Add device into the Info.plist ( still needed, if this not help you must patch with hexeditor my kext )

Then, this step also doesn't seem to work (possibly because I haven't done the step above?):

I continue with the subsequent commands, and they seem to work, but then ethernet still does not work. The "Built in ethernet" connection is greyed out on Network properties.

I have an IBM R40e with the Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet (according to XP device manager).

Many thanks in advance :)
Michael

tc08

tc08

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Yep, i know, 6220 have bcm 5751 and this way didnt work. I got 6220 yesterday and will try to patch the driver for the bcm 5751 ...

I have 5751 too, no go here... (and i have intel 2200bg wireless, so my osx i totally networkless right now.)
Looking forward to any progress with this adapter driver!

Jimb0

Jimb0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I have 5751 too, no go here... (and i have intel 2200bg wireless, so my osx i totally networkless right now.)
Looking forward to any progress with this adapter driver!

i am in the exact same boat as you dood!

i have an NC6220, cant wait to get the network stuff working,

tinman, any progress?

tiggrr1

tiggrr1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Also an OSX newbie in need of help,

I have the same problem as michaeljs.

I don't yet know howto..........Change/Add device into the info.plist

I can edit the list but do not know what to change or add :D

While I'm sure this is very easy to all those who use OSX often, a little help is needed and much appreciated by those of us starting out.

I have a broadcomm 5788 ethernet card in my acer aspire laptop which others seem to have working but it looks like I need to get a different wireless card as mine is not compatible (acer IPN220).

Thanks in advance for any help :D

sayagain

sayagain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello TinHead

I have 5751m which is device-string 167D (on thinkpad X41, called Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet).

I did exactly like you instructed (patched your kext also), and now I'm getting "NVRAM failed" and "not respond to magic constant" error in system log.

I installed native 10.4.3 8f1111 DVD-ISO pre-patched with wesley (it also crash little bit on safari on another computer, X31)

OSX is completely offline.. help!

Edited by sayagain, 23 January 2006 - 07:33 PM.

sayagain

sayagain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Yep, i know, 6220 have bcm 5751 and this way didnt work. I got 6220 yesterday and will try to patch the driver for the bcm 5751 ...

sorry, didn't see this until now.

Being on the same boat as tinhead, makes me feel Safe! :gathering:

nixblicker

nixblicker

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Okay! I think I have bad news for some!
Inspired by tinhead I disassembled the AppleBCM5701.kext to get my BCM5750A1 (devID 0x1677) to work. So I patched all checks for "bad" nvram away. But than the driver can't initialize the card correctly. Instead it reports transmission errors and says network down.

I don't think with simply bruteforce-patching all checks away we get newer cards to runs! Very sad!!!

So, anyone wants to port the driver from Linux? :police:

sayagain

sayagain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Bad news indeed.

Ok, I've decided I will use the X31 for this instead, which has Intel_VE-100-Nic (native support)

once I get the crashes out (0x001 / KERN_INVALID*...), I'll also buy a usb-wifi as both X's wireless don't work..

desolation

desolation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
device id = 167D
VENDOR 14E4

laptop is a T43p, tried all the steps besides of the hex patching but doesn't work :D

Odrec

Odrec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What is needed to port the driver?

http://www.linbox.co...uly/000037.html

JustForKix

JustForKix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
i have the BroadCom 57XX Gigabit controller (not sure if it is 5701 or 5751) and i patched and installed the kext. It says the kext is successfully loaded but the ehternet option is still grayed out in System preferences.

fullOut

fullOut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
same here, Dell GX620 with BroadCom 5751 vendid 14e4,devid 1677. It says the kext is successfully loaded but the ehternet too.. but no device found.

thx in advance,

fullOut

sudden falter

sudden falter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have changed the device ID in the array to match my card ID and vendor ID with TextEdit. When I restart the machine I get the error:

System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

Could someone please help.

Thank you.

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

I have changed the device ID in the array to match my card ID and vendor ID with TextEdit. When I restart the machine I get the error:
Could someone please help.

Thank you.

Yes, it cannot load it because you did not set the permissions. So do:

terminal
>sudo -s (login)
>chown -R root:wheel /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext
>chmod -R 755 /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext
>kextcache -k /system/library/extensions
>reboot

after that:

:)

sigxcpu

sigxcpu

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
btw, I have some problems with the broadcom5701 drivers. sometimes (it always happens when uploading at full speed on a SMB share) it just hangs. no ping, nothing. i do a kextunload and a kextload again of the BCM57xx driver and it works successfully.

maybe this will help somebody.

hardware is HP NC8000 notebook.

yeye632

yeye632

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My nb is Acer 3212 BCM5788

when i useAppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext
hex edit to offset 37336hex, change "66 81 FA 59 16" to"66 81 FA 9C 16";
and add"<string>pci14e4,169c</string>"in info.plist
when i boot i got this error :

"System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

what can i do now?

sudden falter

sudden falter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same issue and all I had to do was follow these original instructions from tinhead:

sudo -s
cd /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

and reboot.

Could someone please help me with the hexedit instruction, I am new to OSX and don't understand tinhead's original instructions to :

Patching with Hexeditor :

-Expample, device id 169c ( bcm 5788 )
-patch on hex 37336 from "66 81 FA 59 16" to "66 81 FA 9C 16".

Thank you in advance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy