Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

I'm running Jas 10.4.6 on a Dell Latitude D820, Broadcom 5752, dev 1600.

I patched my installation with the following tutorial, that I've clipped from a previous post in this thread (quoted it below).

And it worked beautifully... for a few seconds. After loading about two pages, I get a nice and polite demand to reboot my machine (probably the GSOD. I'm new to the Mac world).

There have been two or three similar cases in a thread dedicated to the d820, but I thought others may have encountered this. Does anybody know what the problem is? I'd be pathetically greatful.

Hi lesigh:

I have Jas 10.4.7 installed on Dell Latitude D620, Broadcom 5752 , dev 1600.

I followed your instructions and my NIC looks work, but after explore two page, the screen display "You need to restart your computer......" And I have to power off the computer then restart it . Next time I do nothing with my computer, just wait after the reboot, after 2~3 minutes, the "You need to restart your computer...." comes again! So awful! The system works well before I use the patch though it can't use the NIC.

Can anyone help me?How to solve it? Thanks!

Hater, thank you very much. It works!

:angel:

I have DELL GX520/SC430 and both BCM5751 on board.

I could make SC430 work and I write down step by step how I did for someone who has SC430/GX520 or BCM5751 onboard.

So people like me should not read all thread to make it happen.

My DEV_ID of BCM5751 is "1677" (VEN_ID is "14E4").

MAC ADDRESS is "00:13:72:18:XX:YY". (replace XX YY as yours)

You can check these numbers in Windows.

Also you need the following tool or similar software called "binary editor" or "hex editor".

Hex Edit (freeware)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10658

---

Run terminal

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS

cp AppleBCM5701Ethernet /Users/your_account_name/Desktop

---

(back to Desktop)

1) right click AppleBCM5701Ethernet, Get Info.

2) change ownership & permissions as you can modify it.

3) run HexEdit, then open AppleBCM5701Ethernet

4) choose "Find & Replace" from menu.

5) Find: "66 81 FA 59 16" /Replace with: "66 81 FA 77 16"

(my DEV_ID was 1677, you type yours at last two bytes)

6) Matching: "Hex: (<-choose this)

7) push "Replace All"

8) scroll down to 37550

9) change address 37554, 37555 of "75 71" to "EB 71"

10) then save file and quit Hex Edit.

11) change ownership & permissions as before (by Get Info)

ownership="system" and group="wheel"

12) (return to terminal)

---

cp /Users/your_account_name/Desktop/AppleBCM5701Ethernet ./

shutdown -r now (or reboot)

---

(after reboot, run terminal)

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:13:72:18:XX:YY

(machine should get IP address if you connect cable)

I did not need the following steps which Hater mentioned.

---

# renew IP

sudo ipconfig set en0 BOOTP

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

Thank you again, Hater. I could save one PCI slot from GX520/SC430.

[ual808 turning DELLs into Macintels] :P

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that this worked on a DELL Latitude D620 Dev ID 1600, and also fixed the wireless connection. The wireless would be detected as "built-in ethernet" after manually setting the SSID with the airport command. After doing these instructions the Broadcom 57xx gigabit works and the Broadcom wireless is correctly reporting as "airport". Thanks everyone here, my D620 is working wonderfully now!

Hi Gellius31,

you don't have to patch anything...

If you have other device-id as i am post before, please post ist here...

I would like to expand the list of supported chips

best regards...

Homar

Hi Nisa-it, I have a 1600 device, and it hangs my system with a GrayScreenOfDeath after the patching as soon as there's a cable connected to it...

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that this worked on a DELL Latitude D620 Dev ID 1600, and also fixed the wireless connection. The wireless would be detected as "built-in ethernet" after manually setting the SSID with the airport command. After doing these instructions the Broadcom 57xx gigabit works and the Broadcom wireless is correctly reporting as "airport". Thanks everyone here, my D620 is working wonderfully now!

1. About the ethernet card: this and any other method works with my d620 for a couple of minute: after that my PC freezes with a GrayScreenOfDeath. (I'm using JaS 10.4.7 + 10.4.8 Combo Update, what are you using?)

2. What wireless card do you have? My d620 has an intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG (ID 8086/4222) that is not supported in any way...

Thanks!

Ste

I'm not sure which type (57xx) of broadcom I have, but my device ID is 165E, and Vendor ID is 14E4, the device shows up, but I cant connect to my router and thus to the internet, i'm on a HP NW8000, i figured this would all be easy since the laptop is "linux certified" boy was I wrong.

I have a dc7600 from hp:

Network interface

Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for HP

I am guessing its the 57xx chip.

Vendor ID is 14E4 , The Dev ID is 1600,

Any help with installing this is great. I have tried the above options simply no go...eth0 does not exist,,,

14e4165e = NetXtreme BCM5705M_2 Gigabit Ethernet -- or -- NC8000 laptop -- or -- NC6000 laptop -- or -- NX6110/NC6120 laptop

14e41600 = NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express -- or -- E4500 Onboard

Instead of eth0 look for en0.

hi folks,

thx for all help me to get working drivers....

best regards,

Homar

@Gellius31: try the following instructions

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

2. move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

3. open Terminal

4. sudo -s

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions/

7. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

8. reboot

This worked like a champ for me. I have to set the mac address manually, but now I'm golden. I'm on a 5751M on a Thinkpad T43P.

Cheers!

1. About the ethernet card: this and any other method works with my d620 for a couple of minute: after that my PC freezes with a GrayScreenOfDeath. (I'm using JaS 10.4.7 + 10.4.8 Combo Update, what are you using?)

2. What wireless card do you have? My d620 has an intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG (ID 8086/4222) that is not supported in any way...

Thanks!

Ste

I also have a D620 and has the same situation with you, the NIC on board can work only for a few minutes, and the screen freeze then have to power off and restart. It's too boring!

Anyone could help me?Thanks!

device ID 14E4 1600

I'm having the same difficulties as Fido above...

Installed 10.4.8 w/ Latest Semthex and put the modified BCM751...kext into my Extensions directory.

And everything worked Beautifully! (Well, with the exception of the 00::::00 issue, but my router didn't care).

Then about 3 days later, I rebooted, and *boom* system locks on:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

I see that twice, then system lockup.

Any ideas?

we need some soulution for this....i just cant get the network card to work...any one whos even got the broadcom dev id 1600 to work let me know.

En0 not working either. When i try to change mac address it says network is down or some thing like that.

Works fine on my other machine which had broadcom dev id1677 with this patch and adding mac address maually cant figure out whats the issue with this Dev id :1600

I figured out that if you move the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another folder and load it manually after you are in the Gui it works fine!

So what I did:

1. sudo -s

2. mkdir /System/Library/Extensions2

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions

4. mv AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext ../Extensions2/

5. cd ..

6. rm Extensions.*

That moved the kext to a different folder to prevent the autostart => halt of the system.

7. Than open your "/etc/rc" file with the editor of your choice and go to the end of the file. Before "exit 0" add the following line

kextload /System/Library/Extensions2/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Maybe

8. diskutil repairPermissions /

9. reboot

Using this method I got the card working on every startup and my Pentium M (SSE2 only) with the latest semthex kernel (beta9).

Working Broadcom/BCM5751 on OS X 10.4.8 at boot..

Note: After trying every method/hack in every forum here's what finally worked for me was the original hater mod *WITHOUT* the patched 5751 kext

1) grab the original AppleBCM5701Ethernet driver from any pre-10.4.8 install (it will be a larger file)

or

1a) grab the famous AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip (note: this kext crashes on load for me BUT it includes the older/pre-10.4.8 5701 driver as well!!)

1b) in its MacOS dir is both a patched AppleBCM5751 *AND* legacy/unpatched AppleBCM5701 driver, cp the 5701 to your 10.4.8 dir :rolleyes:

3) overwrite the original 10.4.8 5701 driver with the older (and larger) one

4) from here revert to the original hater mod (manually edit Info.plist and hex edit the [newly installed] 5701 driver (again w/ hater instructions)

At this point you have replaced the 10.4.8 driver (/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/[file in here]) and done the old hater mod to both the driver and plist files

4) chmod/chown the driver to 755 and root:wheel

5) rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.*

6) sync

7) reboot

8) disable NIC (or in my case, on my shuttle I had to disable the PCI-e channels that my BCM5751 hung off of)

9) boot, disk util, repair

10) reboot, reable NIC

i got this card working on my IBM ThinkCentre after patching the driver with my ID Device (167E) and set the MAC address manually then receive ip from DHCP server. but in my network status in system preferences it show that my cable is connected but does not have an IP address :P ..how do this happen?and i cannot browse samba/cifs on my network...anyone can help??

thanks in advance :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit: Driver Installation Instructions Needed

Would someone be so kind as to re-post the instructions on this site so that anyone needing the information doesn't have to request to have it e-mailed? If so, that would be great! Thanks a bunch!

Hi nixblicker,

Were you able to correctly get the MAC address with this method ?

I have a Dimension 8400 - DEV_ID=1677. I've tried all method and I cannot change my MAC address. It boots up fine but with MAC address of all 0s.

Thanks.

I figured out that if you move the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another folder and load it manually after you are in the Gui it works fine!

So what I did:

1. sudo -s

2. mkdir /System/Library/Extensions2

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions

4. mv AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext ../Extensions2/

5. cd ..

6. rm Extensions.*

That moved the kext to a different folder to prevent the autostart => halt of the system.

7. Than open your "/etc/rc" file with the editor of your choice and go to the end of the file. Before "exit 0" add the following line

kextload /System/Library/Extensions2/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Maybe

8. diskutil repairPermissions /

9. reboot

Using this method I got the card working on every startup and my Pentium M (SSE2 only) with the latest semthex kernel (beta9).

Hello all.

I have notebook HP nc6320 with broadcom BCM5788(dev 169c) I tried 10.4.8 & 10.4.7 both with no sucess.

I have followed the instructions for this card(also patched with hexedit), unfortunately I get "bad magic number" in nvram problem.

Anything that could b helpful in this case?

Many thanks!

Edited by forcer

Hello all.

I have notebook HP nc6320 with broadcom BCM5788(dev 169c) I tried 10.4.8 & 10.4.7 both with no sucess.

I have followed the instructions for this card(also patched with hexedit), unfortunately I get "bad magic number" in nvram problem.

Anything that could b helpful in this case?

Many thanks!

try this one solution

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4987&hl=bcm5788&st=24#

it works for me on Acer 4602 with 10.4.7 :)