both cores (T7200) working!

krille

56 posts in this topic

sj, just let the kernel guru's do their job, we have the best guys for the job and a new release is coming out very soon :thumbsup_anim:

I've only ever experienced stuttering sound on very few occasions when the FSB isn't correctly detected by the kernel at start, but after using the new Apr 1st SSE2 kernel with built-in dsmos, the stuttering went away.

If you decide to use that kernel, you will need to delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext otherwise the system wont boot.

Don't worry about it being SSE2, because it will skip any SSE3 emulation after it detects that the proccy is capable.

Edit: Paulicat's Speedstep mpkg is a BETA, but it shouldn't be breaking DMG mounting support. If you decide to use it on 10.4.9 you need to make sure that you are using the 10.4.8 system.kext and kernel.framework.

Then i enabled both cores in the bios, and proved that after sleep and wakeup, the system went smoothly with both cores enabled.

However, when the second time i rebooted the system with both cores enabled, the system directly went into "four language page" requiring for restart. This repeated for 3 times, after which i gave up the duo core attempt and disabled one core in the bios.

Did you XBench your Dell when the system was supposedly working "smoothly with both cores enabled"?

sj, just let the kernel guru's do their job, we have the best guys for the job and a new release is coming out very soon :thumbsup_anim:

I've only ever experienced stuttering sound on very few occasions when the FSB isn't correctly detected by the kernel at start, but after using the new Apr 1st SSE2 kernel with built-in dsmos, the stuttering went away.

If you decide to use that kernel, you will need to delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext otherwise the system wont boot.

Don't worry about it being SSE2, because it will skip any SSE3 emulation after it detects that the proccy is capable.

You have to remember that Paulicat's Speedstep mpkg is a BETA, so I'm not surprised that it isn't working perfectly, especially if it's breaking DMG mounting support.

thanks dev,

i'll wait for the new kernel and hopefully we can find some solution for the dell bios.

:)

Did you XBench your Dell when the system was supposedly working "smoothly with both cores enabled"?

not yet, 'cause i was installing a chinese-input tool which requires a restart, and after that, i was no longer able to start the system.

He doesn't want Dell related merom users, he was mistaken by the thread title and thought it applied to all people that had issues with dual-core.

Well, fixing for *all* dual-core users would be even better. :thumbsup_anim: Just don't forget Yonah!

CD and C2D works fine generally, it's just us Dell users that have been shafted because of a POS BIOS.

I have quite a few P4/CD/C2D(i875, i945 and i975) desktop and non-dell systems set-up and running Hackintoshes perfectly :thumbsup_anim:

I also have a T7200 and have had both cores running for sometime (little posted here Post 1 , here Post 2 and here Post 3)... How does this run with the flag not being set (platform=acpi)?? I will have to try this..

now xbench: ~160 @ dell inspiron 9400 ;)

i reinstalled osx 10.4.8 and does not set the kernel flags. System was slow and jumpy. but after wake up from sleep modus everthing worked fine and smooth. anybody else recordnized this?

what is changing by waking up from sleep?

please help to get us run both cores on every start...

There is also a strange thing happened to me.

After enbaling both cores on my DELL9400, once a while, there will be an interuption during the start up. Sometimes before the APPLE boot screen appears, and some times in the middle of it. the boot screen will disappear and there is only a line of words on the top of the screen --- "localhost:root#".

After i typed in "reboot" for 3 times, the system just came back.

Originally I thought it had something to do with the speedstep patcher. Now it seems to be also related with the duo core problem.

By the way, I am currently using the IONetwork.kext from 10.4.3 and 10.4.6, sometimes, with the network status showing that i am connected to internet via builtin ethernet, I am not able to get access to the internet. I don't know this is related with OSX or the Parellel Desktop I installed. Will try to figure out somehow.

good night guys.

Something stranger.

After enabling both cores, the earphone seems stopped working, though i still can have sound from the built in speakers.

I am so wondering what had dell done to the bios to make it such unbelievablly {censored}.

:(

how difficult is it for some talents to rewrite the bios...........

looking forward to that day

Read the thread, its a Dell issue. :rolleyes:

Got you, HP users are all saying identical issues though. I am assuming it is something with how all these guys do there ACPI... Does the dell bios have the "virtualization mode" in the BIOS like the HP just added (fixed many problems I had in Linux also)??...

Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) isn't related to the problem we are experiencing with Dual-Core unfortunately.

Quoted from Hardware Secrets

Formerly known as Vanderpool, this technology enables a CPU to act as if it were several CPUs working in parallel, in order to enable several operating systems to run at the same time in the same machine.

So it's only benefitial if you are running VMWare and I assume, Parallels.

Had to reply, my speedstep package has NO problems with mounting dmg's. My package is for 10.4.8 only, and if you try to use it on 10.4.9, you'd better grab the 10.4.8 kernel.framework and system.kext.

If used on 10.4.8, I repeat, it DOES NOT have any issues with disk image mounting.

Now as for the sleep possibly fixing both cores, I can say that waking from sleep fixed a problem on my h.p.

If I didn't send it to sleep then wake it the fan would never come on and it would eventually thermal and shut off.

I eventually found that removing AppleACPIThermal.kext fixed this problem for me without sending it to sleep.

Moral of the story, sending a laptop to sleep and waking initializes the bios/cpu/memory/devices differently then a normal power up. Weird, but true.

Paulicat.

Do you know what in the system.kext differs from the 10.4.8 to 10.4.9, helping resolve this issue?

I'm anxious to install this speedstep package as it seems to be the answer to some other issues I have been having. I am assuming this will help out many of us (not just Dell users as you seem to have an H.P) as I was thinking for a little while this thread was started for just Dell users - Earlier someone mentioned to me "read the thread, this is for Dell users." Although I stumbled here because of the thread title, not the thread.. If this is only for Dell users, can someone please fix the title!?!

Thanks,

TheVoiceOver

Had to reply, my speedstep package has NO problems with mounting dmg's. My package is for 10.4.8 only, and if you try to use it on 10.4.9, you'd better grab the 10.4.8 kernel.framework and system.kext.

If used on 10.4.8, I repeat, it DOES NOT have any issues with disk image mounting.

Now as for the sleep possibly fixing both cores, I can say that waking from sleep fixed a problem on my h.p.

If I didn't send it to sleep then wake it the fan would never come on and it would eventually thermal and shut off.

I eventually found that removing AppleACPIThermal.kext fixed this problem for me without sending it to sleep.

Moral of the story, sending a laptop to sleep and waking initializes the bios/cpu/memory/devices differently then a normal power up. Weird, but true.

Paulicat.

Finally managed to get sleep (and therefore both cores) working on an Inspiron 9400 with an NVidia GeForce Go 9700 GS.

After much tinkering and many reinstalls, I was able to isolate the video card as the weakest link. Sleep WILL NOT work with Titan or Natit, even if I'm using the 10.4.8 GeForce kexts; using NVidiaEFI 1.0.2 with the 10.4.8 kexts works beautifully, however. Here is the final journey I took to get it working, as far as I can recall:

1) Installed JaS SSE2/SSE3 DVD with Semthem 10.4.8 kernel.

2) Installed mobility.kext (found on this forum) and patched AppleHDA.kext

3) Installed JaS 10.4.9 upgrade combo package

4) Turned SafeSleep off with 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0'

5) Turned off 'Enable disk to sleep when possible' (or whatever) and changed Display Sleep to 'Never' in Energy Settings

6) Installed NVidiaEFI 1.0.2 kext and removed Titan.kext

7) Fixed relevant permissions

8) Reboot and used kernel flags 'cpus=2 fsb=166 fn=1'  (if I do not specify 'fn=x' then I get thrown into single user mode during boot)

9) Use Apple menu to enter sleep mode after OS X is up and running, and the machine goes into S3 state without any issues. Upon wake, both cores are functioning.

'uname -a' confirms I am using the 10.4.9 netkas HPET kernel and I did double-check to make certain that the GeForce/NV40 kexts were still the same version as the 10.4.8 DVD. I also replaced IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext with ones I found in a random thread at one point (attached as 'Extensions.zip', but not the same 'Extensions.zip' available in the 'Useful Files' thread), but as I later re-replaced them with the original versions off the JaS DVD, I do not believe they played an integral role in getting sleep to work.

As for BIOS settings, I'm using the latest A08 and I have NX enabled, Virtualization/Vanderpool enabled, SpeedStep enabled, and both cores enabled (obviously).

Hopefully this will help some of you who are having issues with entering sleep mode and using similar video devices. If not, let me know and I will have a trawl through my Extensions folder to see if there's anything else I messed about with and forgot (it was about the 8th reinstall, so details tend to get a bit mixed up when you're not actually expecting things to work on that particular attempt!)

Best of luck to all! (Now who's going to solve the subwoofer issue so I can have a fully working machine... ? ;) )

Thanks for that post, tbcarey. If somebody is able to reproduce this, I'd say it requires an own thread or tutorial.

I am only curious if there are any similar possibilities with GMA950 graphics that many Dell-owners are using. The video-card seems indeed to be the critical factor when trying to get sleep, and maybe dual core working on the Dells.

Did you already have any time to benchmark your system? What kind of improvement do you get with dual core?

Again thanks for your efforts!

Did sleep worked on any of the previous version of OSX86(10.4.5, 10.4.6,.10.4.7 or 10.4.8) with Dell E1705/9400 with GMA950?

"Going to sleep" worked very well here with 10.4.6 and 10.4.8, but the display never wakes up. Same in 10.4.9 now...