I haven't quite figured out why this worked, but it did. Using 1111g with 1099's IO80211Family and a new Apple5701Ethernet.kext, I've finally got a working signal strength meter and automagic associating to known networks.
My Lat D600 has a BCM4309 wireless card and a BCM5750 Ethernet interface. 1099's and 1111's AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext always gave these errors at boot:
Nov 28 01:37:10 localhost kernel: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 InitNVRam - found non-5701 with serial eeprom or unbuffered flash
Nov 28 01:37:10 localhost kernel: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 getAdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed
Nov 28 01:37:10 localhost kernel: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up
My new favourite person in the whole world (Tinhead) patched AppleBCM5701Ethernet so that it would work with my on-board interface. (http://forum.osx86pr...?showtopic=4987)
When I used his new kext, not only was the on-board interface finally recognized, but the BCM4309 was also recognized as an Airport interface (previously it had been labled "built-in"). With that came the working sig meter and all the other good stuff!
The only thing I can guess is that the OS was extremely confused in thinking that there was supposed to be a built-in 5701, but only seeing the 4309 wireless...
Regardless, I'm a happy camper.
If anyone has the same experience with the wireless being recognized as "built-in" and having to use the airport command line to associate, try Tinhead's kext. Even if you don't have an on-board 5701, it might make a difference. If you do have an on-board 5701, I can guarante it will make a difference