Update hackintosh 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 and 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 INTEL ONLY

Dr. Hurt

471 posts in this topic

THIS GUIDE HAS BEEN UPDATED AGAIN. :D

As of 8/25/2007:

This guide can also be used to update a system from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10. It will not update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.10.

The combo update will not work with these instructions. I prefer that you only update the system and not the kernel. 10.4.10 kernel is not completed yet.

INSTRUCTIONS TO UPDATE THE KERNEL ARE BELOW. (only 10.4.9)

=======================================================================

Requirements:

1) 10.4.9 Delta updater: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...pdateintel.html

2) 15-30 minutes of your time

3) Pacifist

4) IRC client to get new kernel.

Steps to update to 10.4.9/10.4.10 without new kernel:

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following (line by line):

cp /mach_kernel /old
cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run the delta installer (AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW)

5) Open terminal and type the following:

cp /old /mach_kernel
cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/
cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/
rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair permissions for your OS X partition

7) Pray and restart the system (unless you have GMA 900 or GMA 950--> read below)

8) Post pictures of your 10.4.9/10.4.10 :whistle:

NB:- The first system boot after the update might take very long and cause a couple of restarts.

GMA 900/950 users: (Do these steps after finishing above steps)

900: Go to this site http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iATi.html download the GMA900 package and install it then reboot.

950: install the support files from the 10.4.8 DVD or any other source that you have.

Kernel update steps (for the 10.4.9 kernel):

Once you make sure that everything is working fine with above steps, do these.

1) Go to system>library>extensions and copy system.kext to the desktop

2) Open your update DMG and open the .pkg with pacifist.

3) Select system>library>extensions>system.kext (ONLY THIS KEXT) and click install.

4) Go to: irc.osx86.hu then #kernel the #1049 to get the link for the latest 8.9.1 universal kernel (use an irc client like colloquy)

5) Download the latest universal kernel, extract it, and rename it to mach_kernel instead of mach_sse2.

6) Put this kernel in the users folder (temporarily)

7) Open the terminal and type the following:

sudo -s
cp -R /mach_kernel /old
cp -R /users/mach_kernel /
(DO NOT DO IF YOU HAVE CORE 2) rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

8) Repair permissions using disk utility.

9) Reboot and pray again... lol

Congratulations, you now have the complete and latest version of OS X :)

***If this does not work, boot with the boot flag "old" (without quotes)

Copy old system.kext from you desktop back to the extensions folder and repair permissions.

open terminal and type:

sudo -s
rm -rf /mach_kernel
cp -R /old /mach_kernel

=====================================================================

Disclaimer:

Again, I am not responsible for any damage happening to you, your computer, your data or anything due to following my instructions. Different hardware configurations could still cause problems.

post-21972-1173887804_thumb.png

post-21972-1178104645_thumb.png

Hi!

I followed your method exactly, and it worked for me with SSE2 and b9 semthex kernel. Great work! Just loginwindow.app still crashes, which also was the case for me with 10.4.8, so no surprise there. Thats why i cant show a pic of it, but im running 10.4.9 on SSE2 and thats cool.

regards

Hello, just spent the last hour installing from zero 10.4.8... installed wireless and my gma900 support...

followed your instruction correctlly... before rebooting went to system info and it showed 10.4.9... but could not boot...

I got passed the grey logo screen, but it froze in the blue one (same as if i didn't have the vga dongle trick for the gma900)...

i dont know what i did wrong...

I noticed one thing: when i repaired permissions, there was nothing to be repaired, i even ran it twice just to be sure... I'm wondering if this is normal...

I'll have to format and reinstall 10.4.8 again and will try once more your method if someone idenfy if something is wrong here...

Thanks!

Hello, just spent the last hour installing from zero 10.4.8... installed wireless and my gma900 support...

followed your instruction correctlly... before rebooting went to system info and it showed 10.4.9... but could not boot...

I got passed the grey logo screen, but it froze in the blue one (same as if i didn't have the vga dongle trick for the gma900)...

i dont know what i did wrong...

I noticed one thing: when i repaired permissions, there was nothing to be repaired, i even ran it twice just to be sure... I'm wondering if this is normal...

I'll have to format and reinstall 10.4.8 again and will try once more your method if someone idenfy if something is wrong here...

Thanks!

OK....

This is probably a problem related to your GMA900.

You probably should have backed-up you graphics frameworks and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

I'm not really sure what the frameworks to be backed-up are. If anyone here is using a GMA900 and knows what frameworks are supposed be backed-up then it would be really appreciated if he could say. Alternatively, after following my instructions, you could just install the JaS 10.4.8 GMA900 support from the 10.4.8 DVD before rebooting.

I will update my GUIDE.

Steps:

1)Insert your 10.4.8 DVD

2)Navigate to DVD>system>installation>packages>

3)install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.support.pkg

4)reboot

I know this is a bit too late for you.

This Tutorial works perfectly with all my settings/drivers, but after the update is it not possible to load any dmg-files.

my system

E6600 @ 3600MHz

ASUS P5B Deluxe AHCI

NVIDIA QuadroFX 1400 (Natit 2.0 Dualscreen)

3xSamsung SP2004 200GB

Du have a idea? Is it a problem with the ICH8-kext?

Alternatively, after following my instructions, you could just install the JaS 10.4.8 GMA900 support from the 10.4.8 DVD before rebooting.

the problem is JaS GMA900 support package in the dvd does not work... there's a solution to it in another thread.

I'll try again, reinstall 10.4.8 from scratch and try to update it without fixing my GMA900 and wireless... lets see what happens...

thanks

3rd attempt... nothing yet. What I did: installed 10.4.8 and followed the instructions (including backing up system.kext). I did not install/fix my GMA900 (CI/QE issue) and atheros wireless...

hangs at blue screen... I'm using the one wire method, but also tried with a vga dongle and no fix at all... no luck for me yet...

Hasn't anyone else with a GMA900 given this a try?

Thanks

is this the same reason I get the blue screen for like one second after rebooting and it immediately becomes black on mine? Will I need to acquire the DVD again for the kexts i need for my GMA950, or is there a way to get just the kexts? I can insert them into OSX with macdrive without booting from the DVD if I can do it that way (I loaned the DVD to someone)

Greetings!

Finally! It lives!!! hahaha

Followed your instructions adding the system.kext back-up and apply JaS GMA900 (which needs tweaking to enable CI/QE) at the end of installation.

The update resolved and issue with my wireless that was a pain for me. At my office, I have disabled SSID broadcast, so every time I booted Mac OS, I had to insert my network name and password, it did not save the config. Now after 10.4.9 it works beautifully!

I took a print screen of it.

Now I need to find out how to "delete" my second display, because when my mouse hits the right side of the screen, it "disappears" to the one faked by the one wire trick. I managed to plug in the monitor of our office server and clicked the mirror option and it works for a few times, but eventually it crashes and I'm stuck with a blue screen again... Does anybody know a fix for this?

Thanks for your kind support!

Edit: I'm having no problems with dmg files as mentioned before

post-47352-1174006124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bra$$eN

You can get it out of the 10.4.8 delta update which is free to download. The problem maybe then, that you can't open it because without system.kext working, you can't open dmg-files. Use Transmac in Windows to open the dmg, then extraxt archive.pax. Get back to Mac to extract the archive.pax or open it with pacifist (as its a compressed file and not image, it works). Then replace the system.kext and youre done.

Edited by mcfresh

You can just get it off your 10.4.8 DVD using pacifist. That's what I did anyway.

Also, for some reason I can't edit my first post anymore. I am trying to update it to include backing-up the system.kext

Is anyone having the same problem? I only see the quote and reply, no edit..... Pls help me MODs.

I tried this steps last night. it works and my atm displayed the 10.4.9 version. but some apps wont start. even my itunes and the finder hangs a lot.

i don't recommend this update.

Did you back-up and replace the system.kext?

If yes, then repair the permissions and boot with -f