[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Yes those fit through holes on the bottom of the case easily. I used custom 60mm high standoffs, 4 of them are screwed through holes in the bottom and other two are glued.

PSU circuit fits those holes at the bottom just perfectly so I used 5mm standoffs to fit the circuit and 55mm standoffs to hold the PCB in place and on top of that is PSU bay cover.

Nice work. I would like to use case of original G5 power supply I ordered, so, it will be the best :D) anyway, what about you project - I am wondering how do you plan to solve "problem" with connectors on backside. Custom-made backpanel with connecors, cut back metal off and put there ATX one, or......?!

Smoothy: I wanna to use just case of original G5 power supply. You can not use G5 PSU for ATX motherboard without some wiremodding, and that is difficult. I will rather mod to PSU case normal ATX PSU. :)

Hmmm, ill probally give it a go, the only problem is with using a atx psu it doesnt have the special connector for all the stuff in the upper part of the case.

Hehe, G5 PSU, G5 fan, PCI holder metal plate and cables arrived. Any ideas where to get original PSU covering plate?

BTW you can make some wiremodding on molexs and under the MB sneak them to upper part of case. Or make a hidden shaft for them. :)

So you have the actual g5 psu just no cover for it?

Looking at the connector on my atx psu and the apple psu, the atx has 20 pins, and the atx plug only has 20 holes. The apple has 20 pins but 24 holes, meaning 4 are empty, and all it should need is an atx plug and a bit of rewireing and lengthening. I'm looking through the pin outs now to confirm this. I'm using the attached service manual for the g5 pinouts. Thought it could be useful.

**Edit** It wont attach for some bloody reason.

Smoothy Boothy: I have G5 PSU in its case, but no PSU bay cover like TribesMans one. I want to get original one, but if I must, I will fabricate it myself.

what about pins - I think somebody checked G5 PSU pinout and it was not useable for ATX because of different voltage etc. Anyway, check it and let us know :(

• Like 1

I have checked them out. It is not as simple as i thought but not impossibly hard. The g5 psu has 3 plugs. P1 and P2 go onto the mainboard somewhere, and P3 connects to a cable that leads upto the top section of the case. P1 is the larger of the 2 we are interested in (P1 & P2) where as P2 is smaller, and smaller than an atx 20 pin molex. P1 doesnt have all the pins needed for a atx 20 pin molex, it has 13 grounds where as an atx only needs 7, it doesnt have enough 3.3v's and some other differences. However P2 has the others needed, and still has enough for the other plugs needed by newer more power hungry boards. So both plugs have to be scrapped, and rewired into atx and atx 2.0.

I want to know how quiet the psu is before i put the time into this. I want a silent system, hence all the w/c kit hanging around my room.

**EDIT** I went back over it. There are 2 pins not accounted for. PWR_OK, a grey wire, and -5VDC a white wire.

Anybody got any idea on how to get these two from the apple psu. I dont have much experience with the actual details of the wires, just shrinking and putting on new atx molex plugs.

Also, has anybody used the actual apple psu?

Hi, I have the original 600W PSU and at the beginning I would like to use the Apple PSU... but it has different pinouts and different voltages and ampere values so I preferred to modify my Enermax PSU and put it into the Apple PSU case...

I kept the original Apple PSU fans and the system remains very silent...

:)

Seems like there is no good way of using the Apple PSU then really but im still interested in Smoothy Boothy's attempts to do it. But otherwise its just easier to get a 450W Supply rip out the internal components and just use the case?

Some more info on this would be intresting and if Smoothy succeeds or if anyone else have done it, a guide maybe?

Hello again guys...

You might be interested in this little program my friend wrote today. It is used to eject CD tray in your G5 case under Windows using F12 key... Remember G5 case does not have eject button on the optical device, so this is quite handy when runing windows on your "G5".

Instalation is simple, just put the exe under startup.

Then press F12 to open or close the tray. (there is a little eject OSD animation every time you eject the tray, just like in OS X :D)

And please report the bugs :blink:

G5Eject.rar

Im still looking into it. Im getting some more hardware later this week. If i cant get the apple one to work and i source a cheapish, decent psu on ebay, ill be tempted to transplant it into the apple psu case. I thought someone would have already done this mod, but it seems not. Im not that experienced with psu modding, but ill give it a shot. Can someone tell me what the PWR_OK lead is used for?

I figured out how to manually run Apple PSU, but it is still nothing when I can't use it for ATX mobo. But, maybe I will try to switch and mod wires to make it ATX useable, and test it on old mobo anc components where is some damage OK. But I am not sure with good result.

Smoothy: You think that default chassis fans near hdd rack, right? Well, you have to disassemble lot of things. It is longer story. I will make a photo-tutorial, ok? :D Or contact me on:

msn: jirka.komon@atlas.cz

and wel'll talk about it.

Smoothy: You think that default chassis fans near hdd rack, right? Well, you have to disassemble lot of things. It is longer story. I will make a photo-tutorial, ok? :blink: Or contact me on:

msn: jirka.komon@atlas.cz

and wel'll talk about it.

Yeh i mean the top fans, the hdd rack and the top shelf. I need to remove them all to fit my mobo, then mod the shelf and the rack so they both fit back in. Ill add you when i get home. thanks :(

that very usefull thread !,

i own myself one of these G5 encosure totaly new - is till in his box

and waithing for mobo/cpu to arrive,

just my idea was to addapt full atx mobo without to cutt G5 case

i will let you about my progress when i have all to start

thanks !

ps: inside on top of case near HDD's there is smoll board come with case

some one know for what the hell is ?, temp sensor or what ?

that very usefull thread !,

i own myself one of these G5 encosure totaly new - is till in his box

and waithing for mobo/cpu to arrive,

just my idea was to addapt full atx mobo without to cutt G5 case

i will let you about my progress when i have all to start

thanks !

ps: inside on top of case near HDD's there is smoll board come with case

some one know for what the hell is ?, temp sensor or what ?

Good guess, i believe there is two in the case, there is also a little board below the hole for the air baffle prongs. This is a sensor that tells the g5 when the baffle is in place and puts the fans back onto auto.