Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

611 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

• YES
    • NO

111 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using MacOS on my primary machine (Athlon 64 3700+), runing stable since I got it to run around May 06. I use it for all what I have normally to do with the computer (so most of the time). I use Windows Server 2003 for Audioworks only 'cause my RME Hammerfeld 9636 and Cubase SX3 won't run on Intel-Macs. But OSx86 is installed on this machine (Athlon FX-55) too.

Only time Mac OS crashed was when I was running the "clear" command in terminal. Other than that, it seems very responsive. Love Expose. I'm still keeping my 50gb XP partition for games. The only thing lacking is up to date DVD ripping and encoding software like ripit4me and autogk.

I use it as my primary OS on both my laptop and also, since i changed my gfx-card and got rid of mouse tearing issues, also on my workstation and i LOVE it. Will never go back to m$.

Also going to get a MBP as soon as they release Leopard (and hopefully some upgrades to the MBP.

I hadn't intended to use it as my primary O/S, but Vista was so goddamned picky about what partition it would boot from that I gave up and have been running OS X full time for the past few weeks. I'll probably get another hard drive this weekend and reinstall Vista, mostly because I need Access for school and I'd like to play a game now and again.

That said, I think I'm going to stick with OS X for my primary work environment. I like the look, feel and ergonomics over Vista.

I'd like to have it as my primary os, but:

1. It is still not reliable. For instance, I am trying to have it set up with XCode and when I install Xcode 2.4.1, what is happening is that I installed it ok... but after restarting the system the bluish background screen comes for a very short while and then a tottally blank black screen. Yet, there is hardisk activity. But I can't see my desktop.

2. Both hardware and software support is still an issue. I am trying to find help with installing a Realtek ALC 850 AC 97 Onboard Soundcard, but yet no luck. I've been modifying kext files and downloading lots of kexts for nothing... (till now)

3. OSX86 is still at an early stage; Developers have done a pretty great job here but a lot of hours still need to be invested in debugging and optimizing the system to handle exceptions and avoid kernel panics.

Good job guys, I believe you can make Mac OS X x86 fly! Keep it flowing...

Steve Jobs should consider launching at least a lite version of Mac OS X for PC... I have my doubts that Apple will ever make such a compromise, since they do what they do with such pride. But still I believe they would benefit from entering into the x86 market.

This isn't the area for polls. "Apple Opinions and Discussion" is more suited.

Please move.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------

My finder has some issues where it restarts (like how in windows explorer freezes and restarts) and I can loose windows, which is anyoying but happens one every week or so.

My sound is working out of the wrong port so that's anying too because it menas when I go from XP to OSX I need to swap ports.

So i'm not using mine to the max. More like 20%, until these are resolved.

This isn't the area for polls. "Apple Opinions and Discussion" is more suited.

Please move.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------

My finder has some issues where it restarts (like how in windows explorer freezes and restarts) and I can loose windows, which is anyoying but happens one every week or so.

My sound is working out of the wrong port so that's anying too because it menas when I go from XP to OSX I need to swap ports.

So i'm not using mine to the max. More like 20%, until these are resolved.

That finder thing happened to me quite a bit. If i consecutivley right clicked, it'd restart finder. No big deal at all, but it was still an annoyance.

• 1 month later...

My primary OS atm is Ubuntu linux on my laptop only because I can't install OSX on the sata drive on it. OSX works solid on my desktop but I almost never use it because the laptop is so much quieter. If OSX works out the problems with installing on laptop sata drives, I'd probably switch or at least do a triple install.

osX86 has been my primary os since september 2005 which I think is incredible, looking back at it now. The initial thrill of the first unibin apps, iTunes in particular! Now, only waiting on Office... what a ride!

as to crashes? azureus crashed once last week. that's it. stays stable for weeks at a time easy. cheers to marklar!

Id make it my primary os but some applications "quit unexpectedly" when I start them such as chess and iChat, any help would be very much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

It is probably the video card. Look under system profiler and see if you have quartz extreme support!

I had the same problem until I switched video cards. My ati 9250 could not do the quartz thing. After installing a 9600 Pro OS X got new life! I can even play some games and programs hardly ever crash on me. Now I am looking to install a 7800 Geforce for even better results.

I'm running OSx86 since about a year now, with stability. Period. Although I use OS X for Final Cut Pro 2 & Logic Express, I still rely on Windows for Maya, 3DS Max & a couple of other stuff. Not because OS X can't run it but because Windows runs it better.

Has it been stable? How many lock-ups/crashses do you get weekly?

Have played with OSX86 since 10.4.3 and now have 10.4.8 and have been using it every day for two months. I have only had three crashes, two were because of trying to run PPC only apps and one is a mystery. Keep in mind that I have installed many many programs and messed around with the system files. (my pitiful effort at hacking) Vista has crashed at least three times in two months and I very rarely use it!

I have MS Vista on another hard disk and use it primarily for games (cheaper than buying an Xbox360!) When I am using Vista the hard drive is constantly working hard and I have 1 gig of Ram. Seems like Vista uses much more memory and is slower than OSX86. I do have the Aero glass enabled.

When I want to get things done I use my OSX86 ! I love Keynote, Office 2004, ical, Camino and spotlight! I am just waiting now for a good deal on a macbook!

I also love Linux but it can do what I want it to do like transfer all my old movies on VHS to DVD format with my dazzle dvc 100!

Count me as a long time user of MS (Since DOS 5/Win 3.1) who has been converted to Macintosh!

My box: Jas 10.4.8 w upgrade to 10.4.9

P4 with 1 gig ram

Radeon 9600 Pro AGP 256 meg ram

There is no other OS than OSx86 if you have the correct hardware. I have my system(s) running since May 2006 and it's running great, the only bigger program what crashed was Acrobat Writer 7. But this was PowerPC and could maybe have crashed on real Intel-Macs too.

My system is a bit crazy now. I patched a lot of things for FrontRow and now some panes of the System Preferences (Monitor, Sound, Keyboard) are crashing. Lastly I installed Windows in Parallels, my mouse was hanging sometimes during this. I tried to restart the finder, it crashed - but Parallels was still installing in the background :)

But this happens only if you're wild patching in the system. Without this it runs very stable.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

i'm also going to use OSX as the only OS on my PC.

the only reason for still having an vista installed is for watching tv with my pinnacle pctv stereo using windvr. (wich works better under vista then xp pro, ms drivers actually better then pinnacle ones?)

it's only a matter of time and the spare money that comes with it and this "problem" will get solved.

the only app on OSX that crashes from time to time is opera 9.21 when doing fast foward and backward comands when flash movis are involved.

this also happens in windows.

don't know who to blame, the app or my impatience, if i wait until flash players startet it doesn't crash.

Im using it as primary since march 2006 with all updates i had no OS crashes at all (expect one cause bios settings) and ironicly on my macbook i had kernel panic 3 times since november.

BTW OSCrashes means hard lock and kernel panic, some applications are crashing same way on my Macbook and on HomeMac

Even better is in meantime i changed in my Comp Everything expect HDD, Graphics From GMA to NV, Mobo, Ram, WiFI (from Ralink to broadcom) and finally CPU (from P4 to C2D) this OS is trully amazing. (try do this with XP :pirate2: )

Not until Office 08 comes out will I fully switch to OSX. I have fully converted to the XML format(takes up less space and Calibri looks nice) that M$ is so advocating because I got 4 free copies of Office 2007 from that roadshow. Hey, it was free!

Crossover runs most of my games.

Currently primary on this machine. I reboot to XP for games (SupCom, etc), and that's about it.

The only thing I really miss is the dual-monitors. Right now the display is just mirrored.

Still trying to get that going...

Yes as primary OS.

Only thing that anoying me is that i don't have real Mac and the real quality feeling.

Let's se what WWDC presents in 4 days.

Maybe i press the buy button for brand new iMac?