• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

dsc106

dsc106

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
I am wondering, for those that have been using this for a while now...

any problems, at all?

I am considering dual booting vista/osX. OsX install would have a dedicated HDD, as would Vista install (on NTFS, of course). Then I would make all my other internal HDDs HFS+ formatted. That way, thanks to MacDrive, I can access all my files between either OS. I would be doing a lot in both windows and Mac, such as video editing, and storing all those files on the HFS+ drives whether through windows or mac.

Should this be a safe and stable solution?

MetalFishX

MetalFishX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Hi, well, on my case, when i've asked them about the activation problems, their response was:

"I apologize for any confusion. MacDrive will lose its activated status if substantial changes are made to your PC (i.e. reinstalling Windows or activating Windows). I have enabled your serial number to be activated again."

After this it was activated; but, still, every change i do, i need to ask them for enable my serial number... crazy...

In the other hand; MacDrive 7 (with latest patches), in my experience, is not too much stable on Windows Vista. I had some problems trying to, for example, execute installers (vista says the file cannot be executed), and you need to put into another drive to execute that installer... And well some experiences like this, saving for example a file i am editing in, let say Dreamweaver; it keep saying that the file was changed outside...

But, what can i say as good things is that it works, is fast (you can even work with video), and well you can read/write all macs drives.

If you askme if it worth the buy? i say YES it does, becasue "THERE'S NO OTHER SOLUTION AROUND", but if there were "I WOULD PREFER TO TRY THE OTHER VERSION FIRST" :)

Grettings.

Roberto.

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Like alot of Windows software it dont support 64bit, 64bit software support on Windows is a total joke.

jpsiemer

jpsiemer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but they still do not support x64, does anybody have a workaround to allow it to install? great program, but this limitation sucks!

freesmart

freesmart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
MD7 did not support 64bit version windows. Last night I tried to install current version on 64bit vista but failed. I hope the release 64bit version quickly.

nikinomo

nikinomo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
i dont recomend MacDrive to use... cuz this utilitie screw up ur Mac Os partition

RyanThaDude29

RyanThaDude29

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

i dont recomend MacDrive to use... cuz this utilitie screw up ur Mac Os partition

Care to elaborate?

I've been using it for years without any major problems. Never did it once screw up my HFS+ partition. Only issue I have was due to operator error. About the only problem I could see this causing is that MacDrive gives you full access to the entire partition(s). Messing with the wrong files can lead to trouble.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
I also had corrupted files when I used MacDrive.

coolied

coolied

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

The funny thing is, it seems overly generous. The "bug" i reported was a spelling mistake... said "heirarchy" instaead of "hierarchy" when checking a Mac volume.

And suddenly an error which would take ten seconds to fix scores me a free copy of MacDrive. I'm not complaining, but I wonder who decided that bug reporters get a free copy. :)

Well, since most people download betas for the express purpose of getting free (if less than 100% stable) software; they were rewarding you for actually taking the time out to point something out to them that may make them look somewhat bad. I had a similar thing happen to me on a coffee message forum once, the webmaster for a large coffee retailer emailed me a gift certificate for $50 for pointing out a simple bug in the shopping cart app, like in your case it happened to be a misspelling.......... he asked readers of the message forum to beta test the site, and any bug would get a gift cert.; even though I didn't consider what I reported to be a bug and wasn't expecting anything, it meant enough to the company to reward my pointing it out, the same I am sure is true in your case. It's actually commonplace in the software world to offer a beta tester who points out a bug a full version of the software when it's released; some larger beta tests give it to you bug or no bug.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
concerning corruption:

1) make sure the HFS+ is journalled !! MacDrive does not like unjournalled HFS!

2) if you have your HFS+ on a MBR HD, go over your hard disk with PTDD Partition Table Doctor 3.5 (Windows) and Norton Partition Magic 8.05 (Windows AND DOS) and make sure you don't have any partition errors on your HD

3) regularly run Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, Drive Genius and TechTool Pro over your HFS+ volumes esp. if they are on a MBR HD. Mac OS is NOT at all meant to boot from MBR schemes, but on GUID HDs. Volumes on MBR HDs tend to corrupt.

If you run Mac OS X regularly or even as your main sys, please consider swithching your HD over to GUID, and you will have less trouble with anything, incl. MacDrive.

Hourglass

Hourglass

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Horticulture, Science, Art, Atheism, Altruism.
I know when using MacDrive in Windows XP it would corrupt files only when the HFS formatted drive property policy under windows were set to enable disk write caching. This I believe must be disabled on all HFS format drives to ensure no corruption issues, especially when writing to from Windows! I went on my intuition here and it does the job. Anyhow, I am going to give HFS Explorer a go for my 64 bit install.
Lates'. :)

Hammad A Mirza

Hammad A Mirza

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
How can i add write support to NTFS volumes in Mac? At the moment OS X only supports reading NTFS, does any one knows how to write on NTFS too?

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
Grrr still no xp x64 support

What the hell are they doing at macdrive ?

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

How can i add write support to NTFS volumes in Mac? At the moment OS X only supports reading NTFS, does any one knows how to write on NTFS too?

1: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ then 2: http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Also check PARAGON NTFS

not free but stablest than macfuse & ntfs3g

muitommy

muitommy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Piano x Mac OS X
this thing gives me bluescreen in my 64-bit vista. .. sad

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Also check PARAGON NTFS

not free but stablest than macfuse & ntfs3g

Seconded on Paragon NTFS, best Mac reader I've ever used!

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
Anything like macdrive that can be used to write on a x64 XP ?

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Seconded on Paragon NTFS, best Mac reader I've ever used!

Third-ed for Paragon NTFS, it is way better than ntfs3g could ever have been.

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
GotDarnit give us 64bit support...seriously, who still runs 32 bit windows lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy