No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

munky

219 posts in this topic

I'm going to do a clean JaS 10.4.8 install without selecting any video patches, then apply DiaboliK's new X1800 kext. (This is the install route he used).

Do you have a link on how to install the X1800 kext? I'm using the NeoPheus installer, but would like to help out with some testing to get sleep working.

TIA,

The Baron.

Update: did a clean JaS 10.4.8 (the SSE3 / SSE2 / AMD / Intel disc), installed DiaboliK's v2 NatitX1800. Machine sleeps but hangs on wake, with system fan running 100%. at least i think its the system fan, it might be the gpu fan...

will get Airport working, then will try to see if its network responsive.

after that i'm going to try an alternate kernel.

and after THAT, the next thing im tempted to try is installing apple's combo 10.4.8 update.... *sigh*

hmm... sleepy part is a messup on my part!

it seems that ive been on the S1 mode of sleep not S3.

so here are my results from my 915gux with S3 sleep enabled:

semthex b8 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)

semthex b9 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)

Semthex fd21 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)

paulicat kernel : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)

so im stemming it down to this 915gux mobo dosent like S3 sleep at all..... :(

S1 works well tho!

as soon as i back up my data from my cube project i will switch dev. machines and work off of my commell lv-677 with a c2d t7200 and a sleeping and waking 7600GS..... (S3 mode i checked ;))

(im going to dev for the X1300 and X1600, removing the 7600gs, of course)

sorry for the screwup and the bad new! (my bad, im sorry)

atho the new natit revisions work better than the old ones :P

Later I will post my findings on my cube and the ati's sleep and wake in S3 mode.

-DiaboliK

Edited by DiaboliK

LOL

Back to the drawing board, eh DiaboliK? :) Thanks for your efforts anyway...

yea, it sucks tho cause these ati cards are trashing my commell mobo.

the pci-e slot is starting to become loose. :happymac:

i cant afford to buy another one either, they are $350 bones a pop :P

so its either stop development until i get a new mobo to dev on or go until my commell is dead.

i dunno....

-DiaboliK

Ah... 10.4.9 is here, with updated drivers. There's a patched 10.4.9 kernel kicking around. Yet more opportunity for me to get my hopes up that wake will actually work.

We shall see... ;)

Ah... 10.4.9 is here, with updated drivers. There's a patched 10.4.9 kernel kicking around. Yet more opportunity for me to get my hopes up that wake will actually work.

We shall see... ;)

Yep, I'm going to wait until I have 4.9 up and running til I play around with sleeping. Interestingly, I my machine sleeps atm (I'm on 4.6, waiting to upgrade) without any vid drivers - network stops, drives stop etc, but screen remains - then when I click it all comes back to life. When I had 4.8 with Neo's ATI driver, sleep would shut down pc near instantly, video off, and a click would just be like turning the machine on, bios post etc.

I take it we are aiming for 'suspend to ram' then wake (everything) on mouse? Never used a real mac so don't know the details.

i dont know if it helps or if its even been said b4,

but my sleep works perfectly (and did from the get go) on a p4m890 chipset Mainboard (im not sure if this is the reason)

but i used to have a p4m800 and it didnt work, when i changed to the 890 pretty much everything worked great. :)

Guys,

Sleep/wake for both system and monitor work fine here both under 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 ...

All I had to do, with trial and error, was to use a DVI-A cable instead of a DVI-D cable and force the LCD panels to use DVI-A by setting the option to manual select and BAM- SLEEP works!!! I'm guessing it has something to do with PnP EDID data being read properly.

Using Neopheus's installer, without any patching, with 10.4.6 up'd to 10.4.8 and finally 10.4.9 using Paulicat's method. Check my signature for system specs =)

I hope this helps.

Edited by TeKKi

okey doakie:

DiaboliK's 10.4.9 sleep test results: ATi x1600Pro 512mb pcie (all 1049 ATi kexts), commell lv-677 mobo, c2d t7200 (both cores enabled, alll kernels :))

monitor sleep dosent work til natit is applied. (no natit, no monitor turn off)

semthex b8, b9 and nd21 : sleep and no monitor wake on s3 mode (s1 works fine tho)

8.9.1 kernel : sleep and no monitor wake on s3 mode but s1 still works fine.

Paulicat SpeedStep kernel : same result as the other four kernels

still have yet to try the hpet 8.9.1 kernel tho. but i may think what the rusult may turn out to be.... the same :)

anyone else?

-DiaboliK

*the semthex nd21 kernel is still way faster than the 8.9.1 non-hpet kernel, on non-rosetta. but you need 1048 system.kext for a few things :)*

Guys,

Sleep/wake for both system and monitor work fine here both under 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 ...

All I had to do, with trial and error, was to use a DVI-A cable instead of a DVI-D cable and force the LCD panels to use DVI-A by setting the option to manual select and BAM- SLEEP works!!! I'm guessing it has something to do with PnP EDID data being read properly.

Using Neopheus's installer, without any patching, with 10.4.6 up'd to 10.4.8 and finally 10.4.9 using Paulicat's method. Check my signature for system specs =)

I hope this helps.

yea but me and munky are on vga. and the monitor is recognized by system profiler and has qe/ci, reschange and such but no wake from sleep.

also are you on s3 sleep mode or s1?

s1 sleep your monitor turns off but comes back on after sleep and with s3 it dosent.

so check your bios and tell me what you have.

-DiaboliK

yea but me and munky are on vga. and the monitor is recognized by system profiler and has qe/ci, reschange and such but no wake from sleep.

also are you on s3 sleep mode or s1?

s1 sleep your monitor turns off but comes back on after sleep and with s3 it dosent.

so check your bios and tell me what you have.

-DiaboliK

running s3 with HPET enabled for 64bit Platform.

I just tried switching back to DVI-D and my monitor won't wake but the system did. What's funny is that I'm actually running faster on DVI-A than DVI-D ... 163MHz compared to 132MHz

Forgot to mention:: running in extended mode- dual mons and both lcds are detected and configured automatically,,,

Edited by TeKKi

running s3 with HPET enabled for 64bit Platform.

I just tried switching back to DVI-D and my monitor won't wake but the system did. What's funny is that I'm actually running faster on DVI-A than DVI-D ... 163MHz compared to 132MHz

Forgot to mention:: running in extended mode- dual mons and both lcds are detected and configured automatically,,,

what card are you running your ati or your nvidia?

my nvidia sleeps and wakes fine but not ati.

hmm... i did wonder if EDID might come into it. i'll plug my mbp in tonight and grab my Iiyama VM Pro 452's EDID data and try that in Natit.

thanks for the tip tekki / WizMac :thumbsdown_anim:

No probs- I surely do hope your saga ends here =)

If my memory serves me right, all macs, excluding the old models, come with DVI ports and not analog- that could be the reason why you haven't been able to get your analog monitor to wake from sleep.... Sadly, my viewsonic monitors suffer from a DVI-D EDID problem - manufacturing defect, which lead me to believe now more than ever that PnP EDID is the culprit behind all this.

btw, I've witnessed the same issue on vista too.

Tried the new 10.4.9 kernel from netkas and my results are:

Dell Inspiron 6400, GMA950, Core Duo T2300:

- Closing the lid keeps the system awake, but screen doesn't go up after it opens.

- Sleep DOES work, I disabled safe sleep with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0, and then sleep works just fine.

Desktop from my signature:

- S3 Sleep seems to work, but screen doesn't come up.

- Didn't try S1 Sleep.

Acranis: try to get the EDID info for your monitor and put that into Natit. It might help, you never know ;)

WizMac: I did an ioreg -l | grep EDID on my hackintosh and got nothing. I wonder...

...or so i thought. i'm a fool - i forgot the -l. in fact, my EDID is being autodetected, so that cant be the problem. :thumbsup_anim:

I think it's a driver problem.

Since on Windows i think it makes a call to the video drivers to do a "wake up" to the vga since for me it appears "R520LE BIOS 500/500" or something like that before booting into windows again.

I guess sleep works on the GMA950 because is the system most identical to a real mac and maybe Intel didnt bother in making an efi subsystem for it, and for the ATI cards when the computer wakes up the drivers are doing an EFI call to wake the card up, but our cards use BIOS, so it never wakes up.

Maybe with some magic from Natit someday we will have wake from sleep.

@munky: Which ones? My X1800XL did not on a ECS 945G-M3 (945G chipset), even though the GMA950 from that chipset woke up from sleep fine, and on a Asus P5B Deluxe (965P) didn't woke up either. My laptop (Dell 6400 i945G-M based with GMA950 wakes up fine too).

@Fronobulax: Which are your system specs? Try on the terminal: "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" (without quotes) and then try sleep again.