No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
DiaboliK - thanks for the update, that is encouraging...

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
hello again munky!

i got another sleep and waker!
Sapphire X1600PRO 512mb Pci-e
used an NatitX1600 based on the new unrealesed X1300 that sleeps and wakes. :D
Still no luck on pure dvi output or extended monitors tho.... ^_^ (still working on it)

Screenie:
Attached File  DiaboliKs.X1600PRO.jpg   151.69KB   210 downloads

same jas amd/intel sse2/sse3 v2 disk. semthex kernel.

Looks like its time to make munky a new NatitX1800.kext! :)

-DiaboliK

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
YAY! Please do! :whistle:

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
DiaboliK has made some nice progress and has posted a sleepable X1300 Natit kext on his helpful files site..

He's fixing some bugs for the X1600 version, and I am currently testing an X1800 version (first build didnt work, but we're investigating).

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
DiaboliK's theory is that if you make sure all the kexts have their dependencies satisfied, sleep starts to work. He's had success with an X1300 and X1600 so far.

The X1800 kext he built for me didnt work, but it did make my machine load ATITVOut.kext, which I hadnt seen before. :)

Fingers crossed...

Spart

Spart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
On the topic of making sure all kexts have their dependencies satisfied, is there anyway to do that without recompiling extensions?

Most of my extensions are looking for various versions of IOKit or Libkern other than the ones actually installed on my system, Apple System profiler shows tns of unsatisfied dependencies.

Back to the main topic:

After much tweaking my computer now will sleep fine, and will come back from sleep upon tapping the keyboard or moving the mouse. The system is not locked up at all after sleeping, however all USB devices stop working. If you unplug anything (for example the mouse) it will seem to not be powered when plugging it back in (doesn't light up.)

I can tell that the OS itself is fine, because when it looses my bluetooth connection (D-Link USB adapter) it freaks out and throws up an error message on the display.

This message has always popped up when booting with -v:

OHCI: USB will be unloaded across system sleep.

My BIOS is configured to S3 level sleep, my hardware is below, and I have the following kernel as revealed by uname -a:

Darwin Crackintosh.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
DiaboliKs new X1800 kext works as well as ever, but still no wake from sleep. I checked thru some of the system logs, and found these:

Mar 12 20:20:16 Zaphod kernel[0]: Started CPU 01
Mar 12 20:20:16 Zaphod kernel[0]: System Wake

<- lots and lots of info and errors to do with USB ->

Mar 12 20:20:26 Zaphod kernel[0]: in_delmulti - ignorning invalid inm (0x35d63d)

<- more stuff about usb, needing to recreate a usb root hub, which it eventually does ->

Mar 12 20:20:40 Zaphod diskarbitrationd[68]: SystemUIServer [253]:24835 not responding.

<- more blah usb blah ->

Mar 12 20:20:41 Zaphod kernel[0]: jnl: journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x24e6c98; s 0x1a1800 e 0x1a1800)

I tried killing and restarting SystemUIServer, which made no difference other than i could no longer connect via VNC. (I could before killing it, but i just got a black window).

Any ideas?

Spart

Spart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
A more exact readout of the error (this isn't saved in a log I can find, had to copy it down by hand)

USBF: 34.486 AppleUSBOHCI[Ox1814000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USB caused wake event (EHCI)

The numbers in red are different every time the system boots.

Edit: output of system.log when sleeping as follows:

Mar 12 14:04:15 Crackintosh launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[150]: exited abnormally: HangupMar 12 14:04:15 Crackintosh configd[55]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_changeMar 12 14:04:15 Crackintosh lookupd[259]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Mon Mar 12 14:04:15 2007Mar 12 14:04:18 Crackintosh kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::terminateWL .. doneMar 12 14:04:20 Crackintosh kernel[0]: System DozeMar 12 14:04:21 Crackintosh kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer StoppedMar 12 14:04:21 Crackintosh kernel[0]: Registering For 802.11 EventsMar 12 14:04:21 Crackintosh kernel[0]: [HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Is SupportedMar 12 14:04:21 Crackintosh configd[55]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_changeMar 12 14:04:25 Crackintosh kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::restartShutdownWL this is a wake from sleepMar 12 14:04:29 Crackintosh kernel[0]: AppleDP83816Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUTMar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh lookupd[263]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Mon Mar 12 14:04:32 2007Mar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh pppd[265]: pppd 2.4.2 (Apple version 233-13) started by root, uid 0Mar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh launchd: Server 4a3b in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[263]: exited abnormally: HangupMar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh pppd[265]: local  IP address 10.64.64.64Mar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh pppd[265]: remote IP address 10.112.112.112Mar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh configd[55]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_changeMar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh lookupd[266]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Mon Mar 12 14:04:32 2007Mar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh configd[55]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_changeMar 12 14:04:32 Crackintosh lookupd[267]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Mon Mar 12 14:04:32 2007Mar 12 14:05:12 Crackintosh pppd[265]: Failed to open /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: Resource busy

Edited by Spart, 12 March 2007 - 08:45 PM.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Spart - my machine's log shows a whole heap of USB problems on wake. It keeps saying it will have to rebuild the root hub, which it eventually does. My USB devices would *appear* to be fine after wake (my mouse has lit up). Though I cant cd to /Volumes/cPod (which is my partner's iPod nano)... interesting....

EDIT: ive just ripped out all my USB devices and am going to boot. i have a ps2 keyboard and i can VNC in from my MBP... :D

EDIT2: lol : http://guides.macrum.../SystemUIServer

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Right, some more findings:

1) Mar 12 22:24:03 Zaphod kernel[0]: ATIRadeon::wait_for_rb_space: Overflowed block waiting for FIFO space. Have 0, need 5. RBBM_STATUS 0x90010140

Followed by a big ASIC Hang Log. (256 entries of 0xdeadbeef, followed by some real data - more info in attachment)

2) After this happened, I tried to reboot, and my machine does a thing which it does from time to time - it boots with no video, and the GPU fan on 100%. The difference is that this time I VNCd in. System Profiler showed Unknown ATI and no displays connected!? WTF? *I HADNT CHANGED ANYTHING*. This *must* be some recovery mode the GPU is going into after the hang.

So i'm now convinced that the GPU is hanging on S3 resume, and that this is the cause of my problems. I'm going to do a clean JaS 10.4.8 install without selecting any video patches, then apply DiaboliK's new X1800 kext. (This is the install route he used).

Attached Files

The Baron

The Baron

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I'm going to do a clean JaS 10.4.8 install without selecting any video patches, then apply DiaboliK's new X1800 kext. (This is the install route he used).

Do you have a link on how to install the X1800 kext? I'm using the NeoPheus installer, but would like to help out with some testing to get sleep working.

TIA,

The Baron.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
The Baron: check your PM inbox :)

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Update: did a clean JaS 10.4.8 (the SSE3 / SSE2 / AMD / Intel disc), installed DiaboliK's v2 NatitX1800. Machine sleeps but hangs on wake, with system fan running 100%. at least i think its the system fan, it might be the gpu fan...

will get Airport working, then will try to see if its network responsive.

after that i'm going to try an alternate kernel.

and after THAT, the next thing im tempted to try is installing apple's combo 10.4.8 update.... *sigh*

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • 1,336 posts
hmm... sleepy part is a messup on my part!

it seems that ive been on the S1 mode of sleep not S3.

so here are my results from my 915gux with S3 sleep enabled:

semthex b8 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)
semthex b9 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)
Semthex fd21 : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)
paulicat kernel : sleep but no wake from either mouse or power button (no power on light)

so im stemming it down to this 915gux mobo dosent like S3 sleep at all..... :(
S1 works well tho!

as soon as i back up my data from my cube project i will switch dev. machines and work off of my commell lv-677 with a c2d t7200 and a sleeping and waking 7600GS..... (S3 mode i checked ;))
(im going to dev for the X1300 and X1600, removing the 7600gs, of course)

sorry for the screwup and the bad new! (my bad, im sorry)
atho the new natit revisions work better than the old ones :P

Later I will post my findings on my cube and the ati's sleep and wake in S3 mode.

-DiaboliK

Edited by DiaboliK, 13 March 2007 - 03:54 AM.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
LOL

Back to the drawing board, eh DiaboliK? :happymac: Thanks for your efforts anyway...

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

LOL

Back to the drawing board, eh DiaboliK? :) Thanks for your efforts anyway...

yea, it sucks tho cause these ati cards are trashing my commell mobo.

the pci-e slot is starting to become loose. :happymac:

i cant afford to buy another one either, they are $350 bones a pop :P

so its either stop development until i get a new mobo to dev on or go until my commell is dead.
i dunno....

-DiaboliK

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Ah... 10.4.9 is here, with updated drivers. There's a patched 10.4.9 kernel kicking around. Yet more opportunity for me to get my hopes up that wake will actually work.

We shall see... ;)

The Baron

The Baron

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Ah... 10.4.9 is here, with updated drivers. There's a patched 10.4.9 kernel kicking around. Yet more opportunity for me to get my hopes up that wake will actually work.

We shall see... ;)

Yep, I'm going to wait until I have 4.9 up and running til I play around with sleeping. Interestingly, I my machine sleeps atm (I'm on 4.6, waiting to upgrade) without any vid drivers - network stops, drives stop etc, but screen remains - then when I click it all comes back to life. When I had 4.8 with Neo's ATI driver, sleep would shut down pc near instantly, video off, and a click would just be like turning the machine on, bios post etc.

I take it we are aiming for 'suspend to ram' then wake (everything) on mouse? Never used a real mac so don't know the details.

maccat

maccat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
i dont know if it helps or if its even been said b4,

but my sleep works perfectly (and did from the get go) on a p4m890 chipset Mainboard (im not sure if this is the reason)

but i used to have a p4m800 and it didnt work, when i changed to the 890 pretty much everything worked great. :)

WiZMaC

WiZMaC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 147 posts
Guys,

Sleep/wake for both system and monitor work fine here both under 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 ...

All I had to do, with trial and error, was to use a DVI-A cable instead of a DVI-D cable and force the LCD panels to use DVI-A by setting the option to manual select and BAM- SLEEP works!!! I'm guessing it has something to do with PnP EDID data being read properly.

Using Neopheus's installer, without any patching, with 10.4.6 up'd to 10.4.8 and finally 10.4.9 using Paulicat's method. Check my signature for system specs =)

I hope this helps.

Edited by TeKKi, 15 March 2007 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy