• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Erhnam

Erhnam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Netkas did a great job on this. Meaybe we can help?

http://www.hackint0s...read.php?t=1092

current status

using tianocore shell on usb stick
added hfsplus.efi module there, to be able to read hfs+ partitions
patched boot.efi works fine
kernel load and runs
the only problems - graphics.
pc bootloader pass to kernel data about current video card settings (resolution , depth, base memory adress, etc) and also pc bootloader sets vesa mode before running kernel
i ripped values for vga 80x24 mode and vesa 1024x768 mode
the only problem - to set vesa mode somewhere

kernel boots fine, it's modified to utilize efi
even boots to gui, but callisto sets too bad mode for monitor, so i can't see anything, but i can get a screenshot, and sounds, so gui works fine

the only problem right now - some efi tool, which will set vesa mode on videocard, Or, adding this staff to kernel...all needed info about setting vesa mode can be found in boot-132 sources, from apple. file graphics.c. any help is good.

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
I've already seen that, we had that working sometime last year, but we never had a UGA (vesa driver for the video card). If netkas comes on to irc again soon, i'll talk with him as i might have a solution for him. Also, the aim of this is to be able to use a un-modified kernel, the kernel which boots has crc checks taken out, so not un-modified.

Also on one of our test beds we had efi booting off a cd straight to the GUI with full res change

Erhnam

Erhnam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
From netkas:

ok. here is all stuff i used
http://tinyurl.com/2nvwnd
readme inside

ATTENTION, not for noob, only for skilled.
for that you need usb stick.

OoOoOoO

OoOoOoO

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
hey , don't recopy my posts!!
it's weird, if you want to provide info - paste link to source!!

cat_7

cat_7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Nobody seen the current efi effort results from Netkas? He got OSX booting to the desktop and full working using the efi.
http://netkas.freefl.../efi-pwned.html

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
from what I understand, netkas's solution still requires a custom-compiled kernel and therefore really doesn't take us any further than where we are today. The whole point of using EFI is to be able to boot the stock apple kernel, system etc, from an EFI-enabled PC..

just afaik... there isn't much info around on this development.

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
I just wished we could get rid of the lonewolfiness, and cooperate with the findings.

and btw if anyone have the time or resources to add anything more to this it would be cool:

http://efi.openmacos.com/wiki

asap18

asap18

O RLY?

• Donators
  • 1,423 posts
I should be getting a P35 chipset mobo (Asus p5k) so I will be able to run some tests if you need to see if intel has happened to add anything cool in its new chipset/ich9.

OoOoOoO

OoOoOoO

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
My reasons were to get it working on pc with efi, it was experiment, not for mainstream using, just to collect knowledgments for later use.
:)

frizbot

frizbot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I'm glad that the work is showing results. IIRC, with EFI working, certain video drivers will work without modification? I'll be very much impressed if the stock kernel won't need patching sometime, but booting with EFI is a step forward.

Netkas' page says something about a "Kiko" "stealing" some OS X patch. That "lonewolfness" really is annoying. No need to explain anything here and derail a topic, I don't need to know that stuff, it's just a good example of someone wanting to "go it alone" and not share new developments.

OoOoOoO

OoOoOoO

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
don't start stupid war again...

frizbot

frizbot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Of course not. I know nothing about it other than the post I saw on the netkas page. I'm simply interested in EFI progress. What benefits does the current progress bring?

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
none, its actually more trouble imo

Vitaliy

Vitaliy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

from what I understand, netkas's solution still requires a custom-compiled kernel and therefore really doesn't take us any further than where we are today. The whole point of using EFI is to be able to boot the stock apple kernel, system etc, from an EFI-enabled PC..

just afaik... there isn't much info around on this development.

it's not possible simply because there are cpu checks in kernel and efi can't help us here, so patches will be needed in any case

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
Hmm, not if you have core 2's and vt-x

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts
Hey Kiko!

Nice to see you keeping this afloat. :(

Seems like after reading over everything you guys ended up duplicating the results I had where the graphics would crash it out. Are you still stalled out on that? I don't have my dev environment setup anymore.. but if I get some time I might see if I can get set back up and let you know since I'm not working on anything else OSx86 related atm.

I'll let you know hopefully soon.

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
Hey rogabean, yeah, that'd be great. just been really busy trying to get my life together lately

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts
Well it looks like the best results have been gotten from DUET.. unfortunately I'm a machine now that doesn't work with DUET so I'm going to have to rectify that.

kevinosx

kevinosx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
ok, so under Netkas' blog he says that he is off the x86 efi for sometime thanks to "chmoski" and he's switching to iphone?
http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/

??

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
netkas hasnt worked on efi since may iirc, none of us have really done any work surrounding efi lately as the only valid/viable option would be to flash boards. which none of us have the tools to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy