Were Back !

mifki

104 posts in this topic

from what I understand, netkas's solution still requires a custom-compiled kernel and therefore really doesn't take us any further than where we are today. The whole point of using EFI is to be able to boot the stock apple kernel, system etc, from an EFI-enabled PC..

just afaik... there isn't much info around on this development.

I'm glad that the work is showing results. IIRC, with EFI working, certain video drivers will work without modification? I'll be very much impressed if the stock kernel won't need patching sometime, but booting with EFI is a step forward.

Netkas' page says something about a "Kiko" "stealing" some OS X patch. That "lonewolfness" really is annoying. No need to explain anything here and derail a topic, I don't need to know that stuff, it's just a good example of someone wanting to "go it alone" and not share new developments.

from what I understand, netkas's solution still requires a custom-compiled kernel and therefore really doesn't take us any further than where we are today. The whole point of using EFI is to be able to boot the stock apple kernel, system etc, from an EFI-enabled PC..

just afaik... there isn't much info around on this development.

it's not possible simply because there are cpu checks in kernel and efi can't help us here, so patches will be needed in any case

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kiko!

Nice to see you keeping this afloat. :(

Seems like after reading over everything you guys ended up duplicating the results I had where the graphics would crash it out. Are you still stalled out on that? I don't have my dev environment setup anymore.. but if I get some time I might see if I can get set back up and let you know since I'm not working on anything else OSx86 related atm.

I'll let you know hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

netkas hasnt worked on efi since may iirc, none of us have really done any work surrounding efi lately as the only valid/viable option would be to flash boards. which none of us have the tools to do

Well, if you dont like it. Buy a mac. Not until motherboard vendors such as Intel and asus start to allow UEFI booting, then we will/should be able to get bootcamp, etc etc

The whole point of using EFI is to be able to boot the stock apple kernel, system etc, from an EFI-enabled PC...
<br /><br />I am less concerned about using a stock a kernel then being able to take advantage of firmware functionality like BootCamp and BootSelector and TargetDisk Mode.<br /><br />The original reason I was interested in EFI was to enable the use of Apple graphics drivers and with Natit and such that is no longer an issue.<br /><br />
... from what I understand, netkas's solution still requires a custom-compiled kernel and therefore really doesn't take us any further than where we are today...just afaik... there isn't much info around on this development.
What exactly has netkas accomplished on the EFI front, this is not clear to me:

14jx1.png

One cannot use the stock kernel without EFI, and probably some apple boot software (boot.efi or something?). An emulator could work, by booting in BIOS and then into an EFI environment, or there needs to be a way to boot the motherboard into EFI.

The only way to get proper and full OS X support on PC hardware, is to have EFI working. It's why I truly hope that efforts will continue on MacEFIx86.