Were Back !

mifki

104 posts in this topic

lol, gramshi. Are you {censored} retarded? All netkas has done is copy dfe's work, then add some more data from the dumps, he has done nothing in reality. Without dfe we wouldnt have pc-efi. I dont see why everyone is so excited about it.

I mean, your still using BIOS, still using the same old darwin bootloader, you need a special boot for every configuration i.e: gma or x1600. It only works on Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, not AMD. You still need dsmos. Sure you might be able to update without any major worries, but anyone who had any issues while updating shouldnt be using a computer considering how dead simple it was. You cant use Startup Disk (which is a big plus being able to use it).

Also, Why would you even come here? You have nothing nice / useful to say, except to spew out some useless propaganda, which is worded poorly and incorrectly. You're just a sheep following the crowd of noobs that is osx86.

As for MacEFIx86, well it never became anything, why? Well the simple fact is that, We have jobs, we dont have all the free time in the world to work out something that in the end isnt even needed. If you want to be such a cheapass and steal an OS, then go ahead. But i would much rather run Mac OS on real Mac hardware. It's like these people spending thousands of dollars on a new rig, to match the Mac Pro's hardware. They end up spending even more than a Mac Pro costs to be able to run a Operating System that will be plagued with issues.

For those who really, really, really want to get EFI working native. Go buy a Mac-Mini, go spend a couple of hundred on a SPI flash reader/writer, then open your brand new mac mini up most likely {censored} it up in the process and desolder the SPI Flash on it. Once you have the SPI Flash you can use the SPI reader to dump the contents of the chip into a raw binary file on your PC. Go buy a Intel motherboard that closely matches the hardware of the mac-mini, read its SPI flash (just incase you dont like a mac-mini clone), then program the mac-mini's flash onto it. Boot up and voila. You have yourself one working mac-mini clone (hopefully working assuming you are a master solderer and desolder). And for only a couple of grand.

You may now go and spread the love.

P.S: frizbot, hopefully they will release an update, cause i dont feel like pulling apart my hardware

frizbot,

If you have an Intel 965 based board maybe you have noticed an interesting bit of software included in the version 1712 of the BIOS, is called the "Integrated System Recovery Technology", this is a graphic based utility to backup the HD partition running in the pre-boot environment, meaning that it runs in top of UEFI !!!, so the intel motherboards have a full UEFI implementation ready to work, I already test it, is nothing wonderful but shows that U/EFI is alive within the board, an only an update is required to enabled it. As you said windows server 2008 is around the corner, but also vista sp1 which is supposed to support U/EFI. An update to enable U/EFI boot in the Intel boards is well with in the realms of possibilities given that Intel does not need to add anything and is using it already.

If anyone doing EFI or OSX kext disassembly has seen code that is playing with the PCI root hub express control registers specifically with link control and NVidia chips set, a pastbin of the code would be nice. Or just point me to the kext in question.

Also any code/kext that might by playing with a clock generation chip that might control pci-e bus speed. The clockgen chip would be off an SPI bus.

This is to figure out why the AppleTV runs the pci-e bus at X16 under it's native OSX but only X2 under a Tiger/Linux install.

Thanks

Scott

I have 945 chipset, but I'd be happy to switch the motherboard out for something newer. The board supposedly has EFI, with a BIOS emulator. If Windows supports EFI, then Intel can release an update to enable it. Right now, EFI is just a semi-failed copyprotection for OS X, and if Intel wants EFI to go anywhere then they'll be releasing boards that support it. That should mean they'll release an update to enable EFI on boards that use it (IIRC some 3rd party motherboard manufacturers also use it). It's why I bought a crappy-but-supported Intel motherboard.

Sorry davilla, I know what most those words mean, but I can't help you.

• 4 months later...

ok guys i have a questing for ya. i have an hp pavilion dv9207us. is it possible to get EFI for it. i think it would totally kick ass to be able to run osx without all the hacks. and yes before you say it i already own a mac pro i just want to tinker with my laptop cause i cant afford to drop another 2g's. the misses would strangle me alive(believe me im still recovering from when i bought the mac pro and that was nearly a year ago) ill happily provide any system information if asked. please get back to me when you can. my email is coopmeister123@mac.com. or you can IM me @ zacwhite15@msn.com. thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the last time I will beat what looks like the skeletal, fossilized remains of a horse, but Vista SP1's release has come and gone, alone with UEFI support finally. QEMU has also implemented UEFI support, if that's any good news. So, question is, have we come to a point where work on this project can be continued?

If not, I'm thinking we should close down this subforum as a part of our yearly housekeeping.

• 2 weeks later...
Have any x86 (-64) motherboards enabled EFI booting? That's why Windows' new EFI boot feature was exciting.

The Intel boards DX38BT and DX48BT2 support EFI boot with the newest firmware. The MSI Efinity - only available in asia - also support EFI but I'm not sure about its boot capabilities, maybe someone living in korea, japan, etc. could verify, is very difficult to get one of these out of asia and is by far the cheapest option of the three.

{censored} intel to hell, they said they would release updates for all boards sold as EFI enabled once SP1 was released that would allow efi booting. Nothing yet......

{censored} intel to hell, they said they would release updates for all boards sold as EFI enabled once SP1 was released that would allow efi booting. Nothing yet......

lol

The standards makers backtrack for manufacturers relying on borked and antiquated standards, you lose.

• 3 weeks later...

The project isn't completely dead. Some are still working on it in our off time. I currently have windows server 2008 x64 booting from UEFI with DUET. I also compiled an x64 version of rEFIt although I haven't got the graphics mode to work as of yet, but the text mode works just dandy. I need to find an x64 compatable HFSplus efi driver before I can continue on with OS X. A dump of all the EFI files from an x64 EFI Mac would probably be benificail as well.

• 2 weeks later...

first of all, DEAD means no more development.

Then, there are no TPM chips on real Mac (biggest myth), The DTK is not out there anymore and there is no support in Leopard for it, so even if you get one DTK there is no use if you get the chip.

As for the EFI "chip" you should read that there is an alternative called EFi-X on Front Page & Rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

About two days ago my EFINITY Mainboard has arrived, from Japan ...... www.shoppingmalljapan.com made it possible, but be prepared that they DO charge for their service!

I quickly ripped apart my other Hackintosh and put in an E4500 C2D, 2GB RAM, SATA HDD + DVD/RW .... the system boots and works very well, as expected. The efi shell is crippled, does not have the bcfg command ...... of course no inbuilt support for HFS ....... impossible to boot with the original DVD at the moment,

This board for sure deserves further investigation ...... I'll keep you informed on the proceedings! :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...

I've tried on my P45D3 Platinum with EFI.

On the shell i load the hfsplus.efi and also ApplePartition-Driver (both x64 Versions, i've extracted them from the Mac Pro Firmware *.fd).

So far so good....

I can browse my HDDs (HFS+ Format), and only the HDDs.

No CD/DVD, no matter what i try. Even USB-DVD will not work. Not tried an FireWire Device.

Someone got an idea what can i try now?

You have dvd on SATA or ATA bus? You need drivers for efi for it.

Hi Superhai!

I have tried both :thumbsup_anim:

I just loaded the IDE and ATA/ATAPI and also the SATA (Mac)EFI drivers.

Weird thing is, i cant even see files on any other CD/DVD (ISO9660) Format. Anyway i think the drivers get connected to the devices, since the 'drivers' cmd from shell says the Partition-Driver is connected to 6 devices...

The project isn't completely dead. Some are still working on it in our off time. I currently have windows server 2008 x64 booting from UEFI with DUET. I also compiled an x64 version of rEFIt although I haven't got the graphics mode to work as of yet, but the text mode works just dandy. I need to find an x64 compatable HFSplus efi driver before I can continue on with OS X. A dump of all the EFI files from an x64 EFI Mac would probably be benificail as well.

Hi,

i wrote an little Tool to extract those files from an EFI-Firmware-Device (*.fd).

If you still need those x64-EFI Images just notify here, i will upload them then.

Hi Superhai!

I have tried both :)

I just loaded the IDE and ATA/ATAPI and also the SATA (Mac)EFI drivers.

Weird thing is, i cant even see files on any other CD/DVD (ISO9660) Format. Anyway i think the drivers get connected to the devices, since the 'drivers' cmd from shell says the Partition-Driver is connected to 6 devices...

It is a long time (over a year ago) since i looked at it, so maybe there were more files required to load for the dvd. For graphics mode to work you need the correct gfx card efi drivers.

• 3 months later...

macefix8622ux.jpg

I want to point out that BuildSmart is apparently still working on this too.

He has posted what seem to be some custom BIOS's (EFI) for Bad Axe 2 here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=134515

So, I guess the quest of the "holy grail" of OSx86 is not only alive, but may be about to be solved. It actually is pretty cool to witness this two and a half years after I first tried to get EFI development moving. Of course with all the other advances in OSx86 technology, the need is certainly not as pressing now.

• 3 weeks later...
He has posted what seem to be some custom BIOS's (EFI) for Bad Axe 2 here:

Almost all modern Intel Motherboards, not only Bad Axe 2 has EFI support and not only in custom bioses:). Here is the pic of my Intel DP35DP's boot options screen:

post-162990-1229049084_thumb.jpg

And it works!

• 2 months later...
Guest BuildSmart
Almost all modern Intel Motherboards, not only Bad Axe 2 has EFI support and not only in custom bioses:). Here is the pic of my Intel DP35DP's boot options screen:

post-162990-1229049084_thumb.jpg

And it works!

All this shows is that the boot option menu recognizes the windows boot manager and that you have a CD with some kind of efi shell on it.

The shell is not on an HD since it is reported to be on a CD-ROM and you show nothing that a shell or boot manager is bootable from the GPT/GUID EFI partition, only that it appears in your boot option menu.

What would be worth examining is the CD-ROM that contains the EFI shell if it actually boots to the EFI shell.