Your Next Computer

Your next computer  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Which you will buy?

• Mac
    • PC

99 posts in this topic

Didn't you see the Sticky at Mods and Overclocking of How to fit PC in a G5 PowerMac enclosure :>

Or do you want the Lamp iMac model?

of course i did!

my boxes are a little bit smaller.

the powermac g4 Cube (Pix in teaser in my sig :whistle:), and a g4 quciksilver.

g5 cases are overdone, too many people can do a g5 mod. (not many can do it right tho...)

Id do a hackintosh lamp but th hard part is finding the model i want... i want the 20" or 17" model. makes it easier for me to fit a good LCD panel into it. and on the cheap make it even harder. other than that its super simple to make a iLamp hacky.

-DiaboliK (OSX86 Mini-itx master)

Mac are very nice, and beautufull PC'S and their OS id fantastic but the price of the hardware is ridiculously high. My hackintoch works wery well. As a result, investing in a $2,000.00 IMac or a $4000.00 MacPro is nosense. Hadcore Mac fans think the other way but in this moment, ba able to run Mac OS in $800.00 PC discourages a big group of "possible" Mac Customers. If Apple revise their actual price scale and offer the 24 inch Imac for 1000.00 of the Mac Pro for 2500 I will Buy one. At today's prices Apple is ripping off their customers.

My PC 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB Ram DDR-II 667, 250GB HD, Nvidia 7950GT EVA PCI-E Graphics, Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 Mobo dual boot Win XP Pro and Jas Mac OS 10.4.8 Kernel8.8.1 all working.

i got my new pc at Christmas

but one of the first things i did to it was turn it into a hackintosh

the only reasons i got the pc instead of the mac was it was cheaper than one (im only 15 i have a limited budget) and that i like building pc's from scratch, it makes you feel like you have achieved something when you start it up

i also didnt like the macs that were in my price range they were imacs and i dont like all in ones, if only apple had a dual core mac pro for more mid range pricing

of course i did!

my boxes are a little bit smaller.

the powermac g4 Cube (Pix in teaser in my sig :hysterical:), and a g4 quciksilver.

g5 cases are overdone, too many people can do a g5 mod. (not many can do it right tho...)

Id do a hackintosh lamp but th hard part is finding the model i want... i want the 20" or 17" model. makes it easier for me to fit a good LCD panel into it. and on the cheap make it even harder. other than that its super simple to make a iLamp hacky.

-DiaboliK (OSX86 Mini-itx master)

Wow I loved the G4 Cube ever drool.gif

I own a G4 mini and have brought up a couple of hacks (which is great fun) but in a couple of days my new Mac Pro will arrive.

You wont regret it!!!!

I will never go back to pc unless im very tight on cash, and 10.5 can be hacked to run on them :D

I'll be the first.

I will never own a mac, if I cant run an OS on a PC, I dont need it. I like osx86 but it hasn't influenced me to buy an overpriced Apple product.

Agreed. My next PC will be... a $300-400 upgrade of motherboard and processor and maybe some RAM, like I do every few years. I get bargain prices because I get whatever was fastest 6-12 months ago, and upgrade my current PC instead of throwing it out. I get a huge speed boost, for very little money, and even though it's 6-12 months behind the latest and greatest, it's still usually faster than whatever Apple is selling at the moment.

And when I've upgraded, I can use the old parts to upgrade a family member's computer, or sell it on Ebay.

This is why I will never buy a Mac. I don't believe in only having ONE option, and I don't believe in paying twice as much money for LESS performance, and no ability to upgrade other than tossing out a bunch of perfectly good components and buying them all over again.

I'm enjoying my hackintosh, though, and I think it's funny that I'm getting better performance running OSX on my slightly aging hardware than my friend who has a new Mac Pro.

:|

By the way, this poll should be a really good indicator of reality. "How many people on this MAC forum are going to buy a MAC?" lol

Edited by Vertigo50

My next computer will probably be a BlackBook or PowerBook G4. No PC for me! =)

Edited by articquad

My next computer will have 8 gigs of ram, at least it can run 16 threads in parallel, a powerful graphics card, more that 2 terabytes of space.

Maybe i can buy it in the next 3-4 years

My next computer will just be an update to my hardware: memory, video card, and processors...And maybe eventually the 30 inch Apple HD Cinema...

Something I find entertaining though... Not counting the the display, which will be a while any way, I will be saving soooooo much more money than getting a Mac, even if I get the Mac mini....

Because right now I have 1 gig of ram, already beats the mac mini's 512 MB...

So I can get something like this:

GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO Video Card - $349.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz - $221.00

In total of $570.99

Wow....

If I get a mac mini, I get weaker parts for $600 minimum!

When I can just simply buy two things for cheaper total price, and still be able to do the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame exact things....And runs games and what not at sweet fps and great performance...

And if that's not enough there is always OSx86

And if anything fails, there is always the good ol' upgrade...

Soo...

While I wouldn't mind having a Mac, they sure look damn sweet!

They are pretty much a heavy investment for something you need constant Apple support just to upgrade or change anything hardware-wise...

Viva La Hackintosh!

after grabbing ioregs in the real apple macs from the apple store today, it seems that my hacks are quicker and snappier compared to the genuine thing.

i was especially displeased with the macpro, sluggish POS. (it might of been the store's model but it SUCKED!).

thats my feelings.

-DiaboliK

My Mac Pro arrived and I'm pumped. The last desktop computer that I didn't build for myself was a Gateway with a pentium pro running at a scalding 200 mHZ. It does feel a tad sluggish but I think that is from being ram choked and having a slow hdd. I'd been running a Raptor in my hack and I'm pretty sure that is why the Mac Pro feels that way.

And yeah, I am that old.. 1st computer that I wrote code for was a HP2100 and the computer was new. :)

I have just bought a Bad Axe1 from Ebay.

In due time I'll also buy a Core 2 Duo E6600, and possibly a new case and a NVIDIA card to replace my ATI X1600XT (because ATI support for Linux still sucks)

Thus what I have in mind is an upgrade, for the time being.

Edit: it has now happened, my upgraded computer has been ready in its final form for a couple of weeks now: mobo and CPU as above, GeForce 7900 GT, Coler Master Centurion RC-534 (I prefer it to the more expensive Thermaltake Tsunami Dream that I had before).

I am very happy with it. Quiet, powerful computer. OS X 10.4.8 runs like clockwork.

I own lots of PCs, and have never owned a new mac. I think If I had the chance I'd get a Mac 24' or a Mac Pro.

• 1 month later...