382 replies to this topic

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
Man i so want this fast. Cmon dont give up......There are so many users with this wireless card. As soon as someone gets this working, I am dumping windows

mortis

mortis

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Xerid:

Did you take over the project?

xerid

xerid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:If you want to IM me, PM me first. I only allow those on my list to contact me....

Xerid:

Did you take over the project?

About an hour ago I spoke with tuxx. He is hell busy with {censored}, so he gave me a walk through, and for the time being I'm going to take over the development. I don't expect anything useful for two weeks. My first task is going to be porting everything that is needed. Once that is done I can start some builds. If you don't hear from me by the end of the month, just reply here. if anyone has any experience with any aspect of this, just email me at grover dot blue at gmail dot com.

With that said, I will start working on this tomorrow. I've had a long day at work and I need a mental break. There is good news, however. I have a week and half vacation that starts Saturday, so I will be reading/writing my {censored} off to at least get a base going.

I'm sorry if it's taking so long. I just didn't know where to start without a little guidance. Again, ppl with at least a bit of experience with this would be greatly welcomed. just email me at the address above.

later.

TonyDennis

TonyDennis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

*words*

Thank you very much for your efforts, xerid. They are appreciated.

mag3

mag3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thxxx...

borez

borez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Great!!

Hope you guys manage to work this {censored} through.
All the best! :D

mrphan

mrphan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am really eager to get this thing to work too. I'm a Computer Engineering Major and I learned C and Unix this quarter. If there's a crash course in porting, or driver development I bet I could help out with further hardcore programming.

tuxx

tuxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I am really eager to get this thing to work too. I'm a Computer Engineering Major and I learned C and Unix this quarter. If there's a crash course in porting, or driver development I bet I could help out with further hardcore programming.

the source is open... go for it...

Urbz

Urbz

La cr�me de la cr�me...(?)

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
hey guys, just wanted to know how it's going.
xerid, have you progressed at all?

tuxx

tuxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
heeyyy!!! its rumoured to me that apple has provided the IO80211Family in 10.4.3!

there might be hope for this project afterall!!

tuxx

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts

heeyyy!!! its rumoured to me that apple has provided the IO80211Family in 10.4.3!

tuxx

Its sorta a borked configuration though, and some report its missing in 8f111, but in the prior build. :)

joenicorata

joenicorata

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ive been curiously following this thread since joining the other day, best of luck to everybody working on it.

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts

tuxx

Just confirming that this kext doesn't exist in build 8f1111. All wireless is currently removed I think, at least I didn't see any in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Argus

Argus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As i understand it this project is spinning its wheels for lack of (documented) 802.11 functions provided by Apple. So if somebody were to port oh say an open source 802.11 stack (http://ieee80211.sourceforge.net/) would it speed things up? I'm not exactly clear on what this stack has to do but I imagine it encompasses the following:
AP enumeration and association
WEP encryption (or a wrapper of established crypto routines)
WPA encryption/key-sharing voodoo (probably hold off on this one...)
Reporting of link info such as SNR

Basically I imagine it has to provide the functions (then called by the iwi driver) to do everything necessary to provide a medium that the ethernet packets can traverse?

And another thing, can somebody explain how wireless configuration takes place? Does the iwi driver have to create/manage the dialogs for choosing SSID etc or does the OS provide those, and if so, how do we get it to see the 2200 as a wireless device rather than just an ethernet controller?

I guess what I'm asking is would it help if somebody delivered a seaworthy IO80211.kext or should I not even bother.

As you may be able to tell i have very limited programming experience and even less with ieee 80211 but I will help however I can :D I want to get this thing off the ground as much as everybody else!

bleepjay

bleepjay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just bumping for any status updates??

mortis

mortis

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
has anybody come to think hat maybe transition to Intel will also include intel wireless for apple notebooks????'
we may get a a official driver by january!

MenacingM

MenacingM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Any updates??? Hope this project is getting the attention it deserves. Anyone think about contacting alf@istumbler.net for assistance with the ieee80211? His istumbler program is open source, perhaps there is a part of that which can be taken and modified for use with this driver... just a thought.

-M

MenacingM

MenacingM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
what about extracting the 802.11 parts of the modified airport2.kext that allows broadcom chipset wireless cards to work? That project got my linksys wpc54g v1 working with WEP... (no WPA).

Check out:

http://www.osxhax.co...reme_hacks.html

http://gtdriver.bina...nz.de/index.php

Not sure if this will help but I'm including the Apple80211.h file from the istumbler release 95 source located at http://istumbler.net...ads/source.html

Attached Files

M@TT

M@TT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
hey guys have been reading this since before i joined ha! I'm waiting on Sound and Wireless to have a complete 10.4.1 system... good luck... :(

Urbz

Urbz

La cr�me de la cr�me...(?)

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
is progress being made? Because other drivers for wireless cards are all up and running, but not ours...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy