Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200B/2915

tuxx

383 posts in this topic

Any updates??? Hope this project is getting the attention it deserves. Anyone think about contacting alf@istumbler.net for assistance with the ieee80211? His istumbler program is open source, perhaps there is a part of that which can be taken and modified for use with this driver... just a thought.

-M

what about extracting the 802.11 parts of the modified airport2.kext that allows broadcom chipset wireless cards to work? That project got my linksys wpc54g v1 working with WEP... (no WPA).

Check out:

http://www.osxhax.com/archives/cat_airport...reme_hacks.html

http://gtdriver.binaervarianz.de/index.php

Not sure if this will help but I'm including the Apple80211.h file from the istumbler release 95 source located at http://istumbler.net/downloads/source.html

Apple80211.h.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I have read every thread conserning the ipw2200 driver, and I'm very desperate on getting this thing working. :wacko:

I am not really into the Xcode stuff yet and new to Mac, but learning... :(

Can one actually use the Linux driver binaries as the base for recompiling the driver for MacOSX? I compared the OSX Dev. Driver with the original Intel Binaries from the Intel website and found similarities.

Would it be possible to recompile Linux drivers to work with OSX with only minor changes to the code or would it be easier to totally rewrite the code?

???? (IVAN)

Recompile, no. But you could use the linux drivers as somewhat of an example to write the driver. Mostly, using other unix-like OS driver can sort of help u figure out how to comunicate with the device. But at the end of the day, you're going to end up starting from scratch, because Darwin communcates to devices through it's I/Okit and other associated BS. The best thing would be to study xcode, darwin, and the I/O kit-and start writing.

By the way, I don't think that Intel will publish an official driver for os x86. So it is to us to make this thing work. Why don't people with this Wireless Adapter problem and others willing to help finally organize and start a mini-project on coding this driver so it works? I am willing to help everyone else and myself, but my level of x-coding, darwin and I/O is not sufficient to be productive from the beginning.

Please answer asap with your comments and whether such thing would be possible.

This is a wide spread device. So I think that many people are interested in getting this finally working.

To all those, who can help: Please do :D

Fatal error, i do think that apple will release the drivers because new iBooks/PBs will be probably based on Centrino.

I don't know nothing about the Xcode and stuff yet, but soon I will get some free time and am willing to learn it.

You know what would be interesting, modifying darwin' kernel, (and framework?) so that it doesn't use the I/O kit and make it more of a freebsd system, while still maintaining the aqua and Mac OS X framework compatibility. Like that, driver porting would be minimized or maybe into a less tedious task. It's prolly not feasible, since aqua is closed source so we (or I at least) don't know what would be needed to be changed to get it to work.

Well, tell me what you think. In the meantime, I'll take a look at the this sourcecode.

Hmm..very hard. Imagine, your emulator would have to interpret the (for example) freebsd calls, and then on fly, tranlate them into darwin ones. You would still need to know exactly how the hardware communicates with the specific OS. This would be some sort of virtual driver translation/porting. Not only would it be slow and consume system resources, but just making it for a single line of devices would be hard. It would just be easier to write the driver.

But rewriting and implementing a new kernel, not only would be much more fun, but more useful... Hell, I'm thinking about giving it a go. I'm going to install pure darwin, and take it from there. But then again, every app that needs the specific kernel would not work, so...

In any case, I would like to talk to maxxus about, he obviously has experience with the kernel.

I suppose this is the beginnig of an open source Mac OSX:), a universal platform of some sort.

I would be very interested in working on this too, but as said before: I am not ready yet! :)

What about the 2200? Could any one imagine working together on this driver? Please throw in some ideas on this...

Up to this point the only major disadvantage of OSX is the uncompartibility with non-mac devices. We'll see how this gap fills. :)

Hi, i listen to this topic since two weeks and don't know how it goes on. I have a Intel 2915A/B/G wireless networkcard in my IBM Thinkpad T30. OSX works fine on this machine - fast and stable (dev. DVD + Jas DVD-Patch) up to the intel wireless card. I don`t know how should i do to get it to work. :)

I consider that i should buy a new minipci networkcard.

Can anyone tell me how long it can take to finish the driver for this card?

and what mini pci wireless-lan card do you prefer for OSX and IBM?

greets

nonck

I know enough C++ to program in the Objective-C that's used for OS X, but since I don't know much about hardware I'm having trouble putting code together. Here's a list of the projects I'm currently using for sources:

- iwi2200 on sourceforge (actually gets OS X to recognize the card)

- wirelessdriver on sf (drivers for some pci cards on ppc os x)

- maxxuss' network driver (to try and understand how to use iokit)

Man, I really wish there was some IOKit tutorials.. :)

heyja boys...

glad to see you havent given up hope on this project just as yet here are 2 links that were pmed to me by TheMax32000 about reverse engenieered apple80211framework which is needed for this project to advance any furthur

i really dont think that modifying the kernel to bypass IOKIT will work.. i mean what your suggesting is to make aqua run under an fbsd kernel or something... the entire concept of the kernel is based on OO and IOKit... chaning that is really overkill... specially since it makes porting drivers so easy..

writing an IO82011family would be alot easier... altho i've seen there is an IO82011Family.kext in 8f1111 build which probably would be the key to this project... unluckily i was unable to get it running on my centrino platform...

happy hacking

tuxx

Edited by tuxx

Tuxx, congrats on your work on this driver. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know how dependant the aqua framework is on the present kernel. I'm really interested in kernel modding, and would like to find a way to by pass the iokit, or at least create and alternative to it. And you are right about writing an IO8201family- would be easier, but I need a find a more vast solution to general driver problems. And I guess that the kernel is the only general approach.

I don't plan on using a pure Fbsd kernel, but surely use some code from that kernel to patch out the I/0 kit and let the rest of the OS communicate with the hardware through other means.

P.S.

I'll just start another thread on this.

Thanks guys and I'll try to dedicate sometime to this project.

Edited by Killer Loop