• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 917 posts

I now have full speedstep!

Following fabiosun's advice I removed patches - all of them actually, checked C states in clover (I don't know if this is necessary.

I also have all USB ports without patches and HDMI sound. No onboard sound but I don't use that (have a USB DAC).

edited my instructions at top and added attachment - my clover 

Wait though. I'm getting a logoff and once even a freeze when I do certain things on my browser - Chrome.

Which patch fixed this on my old list...  Any ideas?

In High Sierra Beta 6 (dev) I have Audio through HDMI and Displayports on my RX Vega 64 8gb.     Just an FYI!     Great Job with this monster rig, it's a beautiful thing.

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Architecture

Hi surfinchina

Hi hope IPG power value are not real at all...above 240 Watt ....If I don't mind your cpu has a TDP of about 140...

It should be however an IPG problem..if not your cpu should be very powerful...and hot! :-)

Hi Fabio,

The IPG power is real, tests on windows as well. These things can pull 400! Even at stock they're doing 250, so you really need a lot of cooling.

My overclock of 4.8 is probably too high even at just 1.25 volts it gets to 85deg which I don't like so much.

olofd

olofd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

First test setup, nothing optimized, but it runs ...

@apfelnico I'm also very interested in your build! Tell us more!

It's great to see that the Gigabyte board is working, but I'm more interested in using 

an ASUS board myself (Never like the UEFI on Gigabyte-board, found them unstable an unreliable compared to ASUS).

It would be great if you could do some kind of build guide or summary? It seems like a great setup.

Another thing I'm interested in is how your GC Thunderbolt-card is working with this setup? And if you are using NVME?

Really hoping for x299 to be a stable HEDT-platform for hacks going forward, but It's an investment, so I really appreciate as much information

as possible before investing.

Thanks.

sparkyboy767

sparkyboy767

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Got to love the Apple rumour mill...

http://wccftech.com/...tted-geekbench/

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

haha I'm famous on wccftech :D

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Pike says he added the new CPUs to PrGen--want to see if you can make a proper SSDT surf?

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 917 posts

Nice find, thats cool!   You know the Hackintosh community really does a lot of research for apple.   I wonder if they don't have a team taking credit for our acomplisments and testing. lol.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

Hi Surfinchina & Apfelnico - I LOVE IT! So is everything stable with this particular build? I'm seriously considering building this very build. Please let me know thank you. With using the 7900X CPU, could I use my Dual Titan X (Maxwell) or Dual 1080 Ti GPU's with this particular setup? Thank you. Even though this didn't beat the 59,104 GeekBench score on my current system (link provided below)

http://www.insanelym...fastest-system/

I'd rather go with something more reliable and stable, since I'm having issues with this system freezing every 1 to 2 hours. Thanks again for whatever info you can provide! :)

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Hi Surfinchina & Apfelnico - I LOVE IT! So is everything stable with this particular build? I'm seriously considering building this very build. Please let me know thank you. With using the 7900X CPU, could I use my Dual Titan X (Maxwell) or Dual 1080 Ti GPU's with this particular setup? Thank you. Even though this didn't beat the 59,104 GeekBench score on my current system (link provided below)

http://www.insanelym...fastest-system/

I'd rather go with something more reliable and stable, since I'm having issues with this system freezing every 1 to 2 hours. Thanks again for whatever info you can provide! :)

Hi punk,

I wouldn't know. With the Nvidia you couldn't use High Sierra and I haven't tried the X299 with Sierra.

If you were to go with the Vega it'd work :P

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

Hi punk,
I wouldn't know. With the Nvidia you couldn't use High Sierra and I haven't tried the X299 with Sierra.
If you were to go with the Vega it'd work :P

Thanks for letting me know this. I'm wondering why High Sierra is not supporting nVidia drivers? Any thoughts why?

I saw the other guy's setup (Apfelnico) and he used a top of the line X299 Asus board and 7900X CPU and got a great GB score 46,000+. He has not replied that much at all though about how he put his build together.

Is that GPU you're using is at the top of the line one that's available?

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Thanks for letting me know this. I'm wondering why High Sierra is not supporting nVidia drivers? Any thoughts why?

I saw the other guy's setup (Apfelnico) and he used a top of the line X299 Asus board and 7900X CPU and got a great GB score 46,000+. He has not replied that much at all though about how he put his build together.

Is that GPU you're using is at the top of the line one that's available?

The High Sierra is still beta and the Nvidia drivers don't usually come out until it's finally released.

The Vega has only just come out and it's about on par with the 1080. The good thing is that it's natively supported with hackintosh.

The new Mac Pro is coming out with them and something close to the X299 if not the same. So it's easy to hack!

My gb score with the 7900x oc to 4.8.

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-08-12 17.22.22.png   187.5KB   6 downloads

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

The High Sierra is still beta and the Nvidia drivers don't usually come out until it's finally released.

The Vega has only just come out and it's about on par with the 1080. The good thing is that it's natively supported with hackintosh.

The new Mac Pro is coming out with them and something close to the X299 if not the same. So it's easy to hack!

My gb score with the 7900x oc to 4.8.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-12 17.22.22.png

That is FANTASTIC !!! I know that I'm getting 59,000+ but I'm using Dual CPUs. Can't wait to build one of these. So why did you choose that Gigabyte board and not Asus? Just curious.

Also with a score like that I wonder what GB scores you'd get with a Dual CPU setup when that comes out? 95,000+ would look real nice... :)

But you're current setup is really nice!

I wonder, can you run 2 x AMD cards on this setup and would they both work?

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Oh. Brumbaer has Kindly provided a PMdriver that works with X299 :)

Super good of him because he doesn't currently have an X99 or X299 rig! Thanks!!!  :thumbsup_anim:

Attached File  PMDrvr.kext.zip   17.21KB   48 downloads

• fry likes this

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

Thanks a lot for the kext file. By the way would this X299 work with 2 x AMD cards?

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

That is FANTASTIC !!! I know that I'm getting 59,000+ but I'm using Dual CPUs. Can't wait to build one of these. So why did you choose that Gigabyte board and not Asus? Just curious.

Also with a score like that I wonder what GB scores you'd get with a Dual CPU setup when that comes out? 95,000+ would look real nice... :)

But you're current setup is really nice!

I wonder, can you run 2 x AMD cards on this setup and would they both work?

A few reasons, My hacks with Gigabyte are always easier, the USB DAC on the Aorus 9 are outstanding and I like good music, and it has a USB header by the sata. My 360 rad blocks off the entire bottom of the mobo which means I couldn't connect the case USBs with the Asus. And finally the black goes better than white with my build :D

There are a few cases on this site of guys running dual Vega with high Sierra...  http://www.insanelym...h-sierra/page-3

My design software likes high single core performance a lot of the time and then for rendering it uses all cores, so an overclocked i9 is perfect! When the 18 core comes out I'll sell the 10 core and get the big one :)

I found my output with multi CPUs goes down because of their poor single core performance. I only render a couple of sessions a week.

Thanks a lot for the kext file. By the way would this X299 work with 2 x AMD cards?

Yes this board is good for it, but any ATx board will be fine :)

If you get a 7900, you need to allow for excellent cooling. water-cooled 360 rad is minimum. AIO 360 is ok. I have a 420 rad plus a 360 and that is ideal.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

A few reasons, My hacks with Gigabyte are always easier, the USB DAC on the Aorus 9 are outstanding and I like good music, and it has a USB header by the sata. My 360 rad blocks off the entire bottom of the mobo which means I couldn't connect the case USBs with the Asus. And finally the black goes better than white with my build :D

There are a few cases on this site of guys running dual Vega with high Sierra...  http://www.insanelym...h-sierra/page-3

My design software likes high single core performance a lot of the time and then for rendering it uses all cores, so an overclocked i9 is perfect! When the 18 core comes out I'll sell the 10 core and get the big one :)

I found my output with multi CPUs goes down because of their poor single core performance. I only render a couple of sessions a week.

Yes this board is good for it, but any ATx board will be fine :)

If you get a 7900, you need to allow for excellent cooling. water-cooled 360 rad is minimum. AIO 360 is ok. I have a 420 rad plus a 360 and that is ideal.

I'll check it out. I don't have a problem with water cooling. Did you see my latest video build? You can watch it here. Let me know what you think.

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I'll check it out. I don't have a problem with water cooling. Did you see my latest video build? You can watch it here. Let me know what you think.

Cool!

The SR 2 was the best. It was my dream. 2x overclocked xeons :)

I had a 5690 on a UD3. Fried it haha. My cooling had a hiccup.

I still miss that platform...

I think you'll love the X299. So much power and promise of more with delidding etc. It's brought the fun of the overclocked hackintosh back for me. The peripherals like fast USB, sata, M.2 make a huge difference! And quite easy hacks.

I can play and work at the same time :D

Thanks for your vid and your energy.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

Cool!

The SR 2 was the best. It was my dream. 2x overclocked xeons :)

I had a 5690 on a UD3. Fried it haha. My cooling had a hiccup.

I still miss that platform...

I think you'll love the X299. So much power and promise of more with delidding etc. It's brought the fun of the overclocked hackintosh back for me. The peripherals like fast USB, sata, M.2 make a huge difference! And quite easy hacks.

I can play and work at the same time :D

Thanks for your vid and your energy.

LOL! That was one of the FIRST record breaking machines that I built as well: The Hackinbeast! Here's the link to that build right here:

http://www.insanelym...he-hackinbeast/

I'm still using that SR-2 setup currently even after almost 5 years ago. The only drawback is that you can't upgrade past 10.9.5 and that's now become an issue as I spent over 2 years working on another project with someone else that has become it's own nightmare (The ULTRABEAST). Sure it's the fastest recorded system out there, but what good is that system when it keeps on freezing every 1 to 3 hours randomly whenever it wants to? That's why I wanted to get something built that used the very X299/7900X setup that you have. So I'm grateful to know that you've done this.

Not only that, but your choice of using the top-of-the-line (TOTL) Gigabyte board and Apfelnico's build using TOTL Asus board, is amazing. You guys truly think the way I do - going BALLS OUT and SPENDING THE MONEY to get the best stuff and making it work!

On a side note, you mentioned delidding. Well, guess what? I ordered a delidding unit for 1151. That's when I was going to build a 7700K setup. Guess what else, the company that I was ordering this from is right where I live Houston, TX:

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

I not only spoke with James Holbrook but also got to do a video of him (which I'll be loading up here soon). Unfortunately he doesn't have one made for the 7900X yet. Well we'll see what happens and if someone else makes one. 

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

LOL! That was one of the FIRST record breaking machines that I built as well: The Hackinbeast! Here's the link to that build right here:

http://www.insanelym...he-hackinbeast/

I'm still using that SR-2 setup currently even after almost 5 years ago. The only drawback is that you can't upgrade past 10.9.5 and that's now become an issue as I spent over 2 years working on another project with someone else that has become it's own nightmare (The ULTRABEAST). Sure it's the fastest recorded system out there, but what good is that system when it keeps on freezing every 1 to 3 hours randomly whenever it wants to? That's why I wanted to get something built that used the very X299/7900X setup that you have. So I'm grateful to know that you've done this.

Not only that, but your choice of using the top-of-the-line (TOTL) Gigabyte board and Apfelnico's build using TOTL Asus board, is amazing. You guys truly think the way I do - going BALLS OUT and SPENDING THE MONEY to get the best stuff and making it work!

On a side note, you mentioned delidding. Well, guess what? I ordered a delidding unit for 1151. That's when I was going to build a 7700K setup. Guess what else, the company that I was ordering this from is right where I live Houston, TX:

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

I not only spoke with James Holbrook but also got to do a video of him (which I'll be loading up here soon). Unfortunately he doesn't have one made for the 7900X yet. Well we'll see what happens and if someone else makes one. 

I'm looking forward to you getting this rig and helping me out with overclocking :)

This one's sitting on 4.8 with 1.25 volts easy. Watching it hit 400 watts is scary though, but under 85deg is ok.

I pre-ordered a mobo waterblock from EK today, just bear this in mind when you choose a motherboard - only a couple have VRM water available and the heat from them can be an issue on X299!

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 263 posts

I'm looking forward to you getting this rig and helping me out with overclocking :)

This one's sitting on 4.8 with 1.25 volts easy. Watching it hit 400 watts is scary though, but under 85deg is ok.

I pre-ordered a mobo waterblock from EK today, just bear this in mind when you choose a motherboard - only a couple have VRM water available and the heat from them can be an issue on X299!

Good to know I will order that as well from EK as well as the waterblocks for the Dual AMD Vega cards that I ordered as well. This will be just like what I did with the SR-2 setup. I waterblocked everything... including the motherboard.

I just asked the guys at EKWB if I'm going to need the Double or Triple Terminal Bridge for linking the two AMD Vega cards together. I usually get the Triple Bridge, because I usually have to skip a PCI-E slot, but just want to be sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy