Success with High Sierra on i9-7900x X299 GA Aorus 9, Radeon Vega

190 posts in this topic

Hi Surfinchina & Apfelnico - I LOVE IT! So is everything stable with this particular build? I'm seriously considering building this very build. Please let me know thank you. With using the 7900X CPU, could I use my Dual Titan X (Maxwell) or Dual 1080 Ti GPU's with this particular setup? Thank you. Even though this didn't beat the 59,104 GeekBench score on my current system (link provided below)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324545-ultrabeast-2-x-980tis-2-x-e5-2697v2-cpus-geekbench-59104-fastest-system/

I'd rather go with something more reliable and stable, since I'm having issues with this system freezing every 1 to 2 hours. Thanks again for whatever info you can provide! :)

Hi punk,

I wouldn't know. With the Nvidia you couldn't use High Sierra and I haven't tried the X299 with Sierra.

If you were to go with the Vega it'd work :P

Hi punk,

I wouldn't know. With the Nvidia you couldn't use High Sierra and I haven't tried the X299 with Sierra.

If you were to go with the Vega it'd work :P

Thanks for letting me know this. I'm wondering why High Sierra is not supporting nVidia drivers? Any thoughts why?

I saw the other guy's setup (Apfelnico) and he used a top of the line X299 Asus board and 7900X CPU and got a great GB score 46,000+. He has not replied that much at all though about how he put his build together.

Is that GPU you're using is at the top of the line one that's available?

Thanks for letting me know this. I'm wondering why High Sierra is not supporting nVidia drivers? Any thoughts why?

I saw the other guy's setup (Apfelnico) and he used a top of the line X299 Asus board and 7900X CPU and got a great GB score 46,000+. He has not replied that much at all though about how he put his build together.

Is that GPU you're using is at the top of the line one that's available?

The High Sierra is still beta and the Nvidia drivers don't usually come out until it's finally released.

The Vega has only just come out and it's about on par with the 1080. The good thing is that it's natively supported with hackintosh.

The new Mac Pro is coming out with them and something close to the X299 if not the same. So it's easy to hack!

My gb score with the 7900x oc to 4.8.

post-1564334-0-28039300-1503197804_thumb.png

The High Sierra is still beta and the Nvidia drivers don't usually come out until it's finally released.

The Vega has only just come out and it's about on par with the 1080. The good thing is that it's natively supported with hackintosh.

The new Mac Pro is coming out with them and something close to the X299 if not the same. So it's easy to hack!

My gb score with the 7900x oc to 4.8.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-12 17.22.22.png

That is FANTASTIC !!! I know that I'm getting 59,000+ but I'm using Dual CPUs. Can't wait to build one of these. So why did you choose that Gigabyte board and not Asus? Just curious.

Also with a score like that I wonder what GB scores you'd get with a Dual CPU setup when that comes out? 95,000+ would look real nice... :)

But you're current setup is really nice!

I wonder, can you run 2 x AMD cards on this setup and would they both work?

That is FANTASTIC !!! I know that I'm getting 59,000+ but I'm using Dual CPUs. Can't wait to build one of these. So why did you choose that Gigabyte board and not Asus? Just curious.

Also with a score like that I wonder what GB scores you'd get with a Dual CPU setup when that comes out? 95,000+ would look real nice... :)

But you're current setup is really nice!

I wonder, can you run 2 x AMD cards on this setup and would they both work?

A few reasons, My hacks with Gigabyte are always easier, the USB DAC on the Aorus 9 are outstanding and I like good music, and it has a USB header by the sata. My 360 rad blocks off the entire bottom of the mobo which means I couldn't connect the case USBs with the Asus. And finally the black goes better than white with my build :D

There are a few cases on this site of guys running dual Vega with high Sierra...  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/page-3

My design software likes high single core performance a lot of the time and then for rendering it uses all cores, so an overclocked i9 is perfect! When the 18 core comes out I'll sell the 10 core and get the big one :)

I found my output with multi CPUs goes down because of their poor single core performance. I only render a couple of sessions a week.

Thanks a lot for the kext file. By the way would this X299 work with 2 x AMD cards?

Yes this board is good for it, but any ATx board will be fine :)

If you get a 7900, you need to allow for excellent cooling. water-cooled 360 rad is minimum. AIO 360 is ok. I have a 420 rad plus a 360 and that is ideal.

A few reasons, My hacks with Gigabyte are always easier, the USB DAC on the Aorus 9 are outstanding and I like good music, and it has a USB header by the sata. My 360 rad blocks off the entire bottom of the mobo which means I couldn't connect the case USBs with the Asus. And finally the black goes better than white with my build :D

There are a few cases on this site of guys running dual Vega with high Sierra...  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/page-3

My design software likes high single core performance a lot of the time and then for rendering it uses all cores, so an overclocked i9 is perfect! When the 18 core comes out I'll sell the 10 core and get the big one :)

I found my output with multi CPUs goes down because of their poor single core performance. I only render a couple of sessions a week.

Yes this board is good for it, but any ATx board will be fine :)

If you get a 7900, you need to allow for excellent cooling. water-cooled 360 rad is minimum. AIO 360 is ok. I have a 420 rad plus a 360 and that is ideal.

I'll check it out. I don't have a problem with water cooling. Did you see my latest video build? You can watch it here. Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

I'll check it out. I don't have a problem with water cooling. Did you see my latest video build? You can watch it here. Let me know what you think.

Cool!

The SR 2 was the best. It was my dream. 2x overclocked xeons :)

I had a 5690 on a UD3. Fried it haha. My cooling had a hiccup.

I still miss that platform...

I think you'll love the X299. So much power and promise of more with delidding etc. It's brought the fun of the overclocked hackintosh back for me. The peripherals like fast USB, sata, M.2 make a huge difference! And quite easy hacks.

I can play and work at the same time :D

Thanks for your vid and your energy.

Cool!

The SR 2 was the best. It was my dream. 2x overclocked xeons :)

I had a 5690 on a UD3. Fried it haha. My cooling had a hiccup.

I still miss that platform...

I think you'll love the X299. So much power and promise of more with delidding etc. It's brought the fun of the overclocked hackintosh back for me. The peripherals like fast USB, sata, M.2 make a huge difference! And quite easy hacks.

I can play and work at the same time :D

Thanks for your vid and your energy.

LOL! That was one of the FIRST record breaking machines that I built as well: The Hackinbeast! Here's the link to that build right here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/277433-punknuggets-mod-the-hackinbeast/

I'm still using that SR-2 setup currently even after almost 5 years ago. The only drawback is that you can't upgrade past 10.9.5 and that's now become an issue as I spent over 2 years working on another project with someone else that has become it's own nightmare (The ULTRABEAST). Sure it's the fastest recorded system out there, but what good is that system when it keeps on freezing every 1 to 3 hours randomly whenever it wants to? That's why I wanted to get something built that used the very X299/7900X setup that you have. So I'm grateful to know that you've done this.

Not only that, but your choice of using the top-of-the-line (TOTL) Gigabyte board and Apfelnico's build using TOTL Asus board, is amazing. You guys truly think the way I do - going BALLS OUT and SPENDING THE MONEY to get the best stuff and making it work!

On a side note, you mentioned delidding. Well, guess what? I ordered a delidding unit for 1151. That's when I was going to build a 7700K setup. Guess what else, the company that I was ordering this from is right where I live Houston, TX:

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

I not only spoke with James Holbrook but also got to do a video of him (which I'll be loading up here soon). Unfortunately he doesn't have one made for the 7900X yet. Well we'll see what happens and if someone else makes one. 

• Like 1

LOL! That was one of the FIRST record breaking machines that I built as well: The Hackinbeast! Here's the link to that build right here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/277433-punknuggets-mod-the-hackinbeast/

I'm still using that SR-2 setup currently even after almost 5 years ago. The only drawback is that you can't upgrade past 10.9.5 and that's now become an issue as I spent over 2 years working on another project with someone else that has become it's own nightmare (The ULTRABEAST). Sure it's the fastest recorded system out there, but what good is that system when it keeps on freezing every 1 to 3 hours randomly whenever it wants to? That's why I wanted to get something built that used the very X299/7900X setup that you have. So I'm grateful to know that you've done this.

Not only that, but your choice of using the top-of-the-line (TOTL) Gigabyte board and Apfelnico's build using TOTL Asus board, is amazing. You guys truly think the way I do - going BALLS OUT and SPENDING THE MONEY to get the best stuff and making it work!

On a side note, you mentioned delidding. Well, guess what? I ordered a delidding unit for 1151. That's when I was going to build a 7700K setup. Guess what else, the company that I was ordering this from is right where I live Houston, TX:

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

I not only spoke with James Holbrook but also got to do a video of him (which I'll be loading up here soon). Unfortunately he doesn't have one made for the 7900X yet. Well we'll see what happens and if someone else makes one. 

I'm looking forward to you getting this rig and helping me out with overclocking :)

This one's sitting on 4.8 with 1.25 volts easy. Watching it hit 400 watts is scary though, but under 85deg is ok.

I pre-ordered a mobo waterblock from EK today, just bear this in mind when you choose a motherboard - only a couple have VRM water available and the heat from them can be an issue on X299!

I'm looking forward to you getting this rig and helping me out with overclocking :)

This one's sitting on 4.8 with 1.25 volts easy. Watching it hit 400 watts is scary though, but under 85deg is ok.

I pre-ordered a mobo waterblock from EK today, just bear this in mind when you choose a motherboard - only a couple have VRM water available and the heat from them can be an issue on X299!

Good to know I will order that as well from EK as well as the waterblocks for the Dual AMD Vega cards that I ordered as well. This will be just like what I did with the SR-2 setup. I waterblocked everything... including the motherboard.

I just asked the guys at EKWB if I'm going to need the Double or Triple Terminal Bridge for linking the two AMD Vega cards together. I usually get the Triple Bridge, because I usually have to skip a PCI-E slot, but just want to be sure.

Good to know I will order that as well from EK as well as the waterblocks for the Dual AMD Vega cards that I ordered as well. This will be just like what I did with the SR-2 setup. I waterblocked everything... including the motherboard.

I just asked the guys at EKWB if I'm going to need the Double or Triple Terminal Bridge for linking the two AMD Vega cards together. I usually get the Triple Bridge, because I usually have to skip a PCI-E slot, but just want to be sure.

There's a difference between the Aorus 7 and Aorus 9 for PCIE slots. I got confused (I'm nearly 60) but it would pay to check that. I think the Aorus 7 is better for 3 GPU.

Don't know about the Asus.

I don't want three and don't need it as two is waaaay more than enough for my needs. It'll be overkill anyway. Cool thing is that with both cards combined I'm looking at 32 GB of video graphics and for my 3 x 28" 4K monitors that's enough. Even one card is good enough. Can't believe I spent $430 for each monitor (14 months ago) and went into Costco yesterday and saw a 28" 4K monitor for $300. But my monitors are gaming monitors. I don't really need gaming monitors but it will be nice to have Windows 7 up and running for my games. Mmmmm... haven't played GTA V in a while...

Unless I'm mistaken the AORUS 7 and AORUS 9's PCIe slots are identical. The board as a whole is identical with some extra stuff added for the AORUS 9.

post-625834-0-15909100-1503362688_thumb.jpg

post-625834-0-15426500-1503362699_thumb.jpg

If I ever get the time, I'd like to get MacMod of the Month kickin' again. We'll see what happens in the near future...

Unless I'm mistaken the AORUS 7 and AORUS 9's PCIe slots are identical. The board as a whole is identical with some extra stuff added for the AORUS 9.

attachicon.gifGigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7.jpg

attachicon.gifGigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9.jpg

If I ever get the time, I'd like to get MacMod of the Month kickin' again. We'll see what happens in the near future...

Oh, the difference is that IF you have 3 GPU, the gaming 9 works in 16x, 8x, 16x. The gaming 7 works in 16x, 16x, 8x.

With 2 GPU they will both always work 16x.

I think because the gaming 9 has that extra M.2 between slots 1 and 2. the gaming 9 also comes with a matchy PCIE M.2 card giving you 4 M.2 in total.

My VRM/CPU cooler is shipping next week, I'll take a pic once it's on :)

I figured out on my own what Terminal bridge I needed. Too bad that EK never got back to me with my simple questions, as I emailed them three times in two days. They must be overwhelmed as they've never done that before. Doesn't matter. I ordered:

2 x AMD Vega Waterblocks

1 x Monoblock for the AORUS 9 board

1 x Dual bridge for the GPUs (off of eBay - Great Deal too as there was only one!)

Sorry to highjack a little bit the thread...

Congrats for the build mates, my question is for PunkNugget... I have a similar rig to yours, and I'm one that has been working with Andrew to get everything running on this motherboards/cpu combos (X9DAi and Sandy/Ivy CPUs).

Are you running already High Sierra on your rig ? If yes I'm curious because I got HS running on it, but having trouble with Power Management and some lagginess with the system, when under Sierra it is running Flawless. I can also confirm that Vega runs out of the box!

Thanks for any insight ;)

Sorry to highjack a little bit the thread...

Congrats for the build mates, my question is for PunkNugget... I have a similar rig to yours, and I'm one that has been working with Andrew to get everything running on this motherboards/cpu combos (X9DAi and Sandy/Ivy CPUs).

Are you running already High Sierra on your rig ? If yes I'm curious because I got HS running on it, but having trouble with Power Management and some lagginess with the system, when under Sierra it is running Flawless. I can also confirm that Vega runs out of the box!

Thanks for any insight ;)

Why don't you post this question on my build right here (link below):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324545-ultrabeast-2-x-980tis-2-x-e5-2697v2-cpus-geekbench-59104-fastest-system/

as this is about the system you and I built and does not really pertain to surfinchina's build. I just posted your quote on that link, I'll let you know what I can there. Thanks...

I figured out on my own what Terminal bridge I needed. Too bad that EK never got back to me with my simple questions, as I emailed them three times in two days. They must be overwhelmed as they've never done that before. Doesn't matter. I ordered:

2 x AMD Vega Waterblocks

1 x Monoblock for the AORUS 9 board

1 x Dual bridge for the GPUs (off of eBay - Great Deal too as there was only one!)

Hi punk,

After getting a waterblock for my Vega and finding it runs at 42deg full noise, thinking this is good for overclock :) , I find out that there's a hardware security chip that prevents you putting in a mod bios!

Which is not great for hackintosh because at least in windows you can overclock GPU with software. No such luck with Apple platforms.

So the only thing good about the waterblock is that the rig is even quieter, and nicer looking of course.

So, when you get to ordering your vegas, try to find an rx one that doesn't have this block.

The miners should eventually find a way around it, but possibly not...

My mobo monoblock got shipped from EK today :)

Hi, First off big thanks to Surfchina... I finally got a boot using your EFI. Thanks!

I dont seem to be getting anywhere near the Geekbench scores you are getting... see attached.

I haven't done any overlocking... is that it? or is there something else that might not be working?

any help whelp or point in the right direction would be very much appreciate! ;)

x299 Gigabyte UD4

i9-7900x

gtx780ti

P.S. I know nothing about xcpm

post-2230685-0-89515500-1503655309_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-35649100-1503655326_thumb.png

Hi punk,

After getting a waterblock for my Vega and finding it runs at 42deg full noise, thinking this is good for overclock :) , I find out that there's a hardware security chip that prevents you putting in a mod bios!

Which is not great for hackintosh because at least in windows you can overclock GPU with software. No such luck with Apple platforms.

So the only thing good about the waterblock is that the rig is even quieter, and nicer looking of course.

So, when you get to ordering your vegas, try to find an rx one that doesn't have this block.

The miners should eventually find a way around it, but possibly not...

My mobo monoblock got shipped from EK today :)

Well, I'm not looking to overclock my GPUs. I never do that I buy them preset as they are and I leave them alone the only thing that I overclock or under clock is the CPU and sometimes the ram but even with the ram I usually leave it alone and let it run at it's programmed speed (in the one that I purchased it's 3600 MHz) and it's fine enough for me. It looks like everything got shipped as well from EKWB yesterday so I should be receiving it Monday or Tuesday of next week. By the way I always make sure to water block my GPUs and the reason why is because it extends the life of the card and keeps everything quieter and much cooler. I've been doing that for years.

Update: I changed frequecyVectors to MacBook Pro as suggested in the first post of the other thread. and it has improved a bit.

not sure what I should look at next. :(

Well to address your issue, you have to remember (and this is something that is hard for me to remember as well because I just now bought a 1080 Ti GPU and was going to buy another one to run two of them,) but until I saw what surfinchina was doing and the kind of scores he's reaching. The reason why he's reaching those scores is because, simply put, it's Apple-based driven. What do I mean by that? Apple's Mac OS X software was programmed to to work natively with Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs and it's showing itself to be true. You're using Nvidia GPU (and an old GPU at that). They used to work really great back in the day five years ago, But that's no longer the case because that's not where Apple wanted to go. They have a different strategy and as stupid as I thought that strategy was five years ago, it looks like it's now turning out to be a big benefit with these new AMD Vega RX cards that they just came out with. As you can see the end result with surfinchina's GB scores. Now it seems like I'm probably going to have to sell those New Nvidia cards on eBay. Hope this information helps you out because it seems like with your experience you're proving the point. I was actually going to run to Titan X (Maxwell)12 GB GPUs to compare scores to see how both of them work. I still might do that, but I can tell already I'm probably not going get the same scores and the same kind of performance that I'm needing using my Adobe and other like kind graphics programs. Again I hope this information helps.