[HOW TO] Upgrade your 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 with new kernel

aberracus

118 posts in this topic

On DS3 (965 chipset) and Conroe, the method of applying Apple Official Combo Update, replacing mach_kernel with mifki kernel from JaS 10.4.8 DVD, replacing AppleSMBIOS.kext seems to work well.

Neither old or new seed DVDs booted to installer, so tried this out of desperation. The good thing is, I don't have any problems others mention in relation to the 8.8.1 kernels, such as ATM problems. Everything seems to work flawlessly. When I set fsb=400 to my OC'd E6300, I get 220 on Xbench minus disk, 145 with disk test. That's a significant improvement over what I had before. Rosetta a lot zippier.

BTW anyone succeed in booting 10.4.8 JaS DVD on DS3 boards or any other 965 chipset board? I wonder what the problem is.

if you want it in the pkg form , i have it . I can send it to you via IRC or somwhere. just meet me on IRC - prasys-...

Thanks _Prasys_ but I found the kext file I need. Also almost got Combo Update from Apple. I'm gonna try if it works in a second.

On DS3 (965 chipset) and Conroe, the method of applying Apple Official Combo Update, replacing mach_kernel with mifki kernel from JaS 10.4.8 DVD, replacing AppleSMBIOS.kext seems to work well.

Neither old or new seed DVDs booted to installer, so tried this out of desperation. The good thing is, I don't have any problems others mention in relation to the 8.8.1 kernels, such as ATM problems. Everything seems to work flawlessly. When I set fsb=400 to my OC'd E6300, I get 220 on Xbench minus disk, 145 with disk test. That's a significant improvement over what I had before. Rosetta a lot zippier.

BTW anyone succeed in booting 10.4.8 JaS DVD on DS3 boards or any other 965 chipset board? I wonder what the problem is.

Good news, have you tried the Jmicro driver wich boost enorumously the proformance of OSX HDisk ?

Good news, have you tried the Jmicro driver wich boost enorumously the proformance of OSX HDisk ?

I'm not sure if you mean this, but I did change ID (the method mentioned in the DS3 thread) when I was on the 8.4.1 kernel. Worked very well indeed. But I haven't done it on 8.8.1 yet. Will post after I try, but with everything working so well, I'm almost afraid to even touch anything :P

I´m german an i don´t understand correctly what i have to do to install the 8.8.1 kernel on my machine.

I have installed the goatsect 10.4.6 and then upgrade with 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 v2.

What i have to do to install this kernel because i will test the titan.kext for support opengl on my geforce 6600gt.

And what files i need?

A simple tutorial please, please.

Hardware: AMD 3700+ SSE3 A8n-SLI Premium Winfast Geforce 6600GT 1GB RAM

No success with my AMD :)

I did download kernel for AMD, AppleSMBios.kext and combo update fro Apple site.

I got kernel panic message. I guess it was something wrong with ATA or USB, but even when I copied old kext files for USB and ATA i got three yellow lines and it stopped after:

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@8/AppleOnboardPCATARoot/PRI0@0

/AppleNVIDIAnForceATA/ATADeviceNub@1/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/

IOBlockStorageDriver/SAMSUNG SV0411N Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2

BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 5

Any ideas and suggestions? especially from AMD users.

Thanks

I did some things wrong and i just replaced the mach_kernel with the new one, so i cannot boot.

Is there anyway to specify at boot, to boot from mach_kernel.back instead of mach_kernel ?

i cannot boot in safe mode either

skn: what is your cpu? intel or amd?

Intel (Pentium 4)

I did some things wrong and i just replaced the mach_kernel with the new one, so i cannot boot.

Is there anyway to specify at boot, to boot from mach_kernel.back instead of mach_kernel ?

i cannot boot in safe mode either

Yes, there is. Press F8 to enter manually the options and just type the kernel name you want to boot from (I suppose it is "mach_kernel.back" in your case).

I have AMD SSE3

I have used the JaS V2 10.4.8 update.

I changed the AppleSMBios.kext than i delete extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext.

Than i trash the old kernel and copy the vitaliy kernel into root of hdd.

Repair permissions and restart.

But now its a problem.

After boot this message comes:

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver

undefinied symbols............

and so on.......

If i boot the mach_kernel.old the system runs but with performance lags.

What i have doing wrong?????

Please help me!

[edit]I have tested it with the semthex kernel too.Same problem.

I have used the JaS V2 10.4.8 update.

you have to install apple update, even if you have 10.4.8 unofficial update already.

yesterday i tried on my PC, but didn't know about '-legacy' option etc. - check JackHair's post in this this topic (page 2, #39)

the old kernel performance should be the same. try to undelete the AppleSMBios.kext

I habe the 10.4.6 goatsect dvd.

Need i only to install the one update or 10.4.7 and 10.4.8????

And what is with the SMBios.kext????Don´t copy this????

Here i read that i have to use the combo update.

I´m confused.

I don´t know what i have to do right.

I have the Goatsect 10.4.6 Install DVD, what files i have to use?

Can anybody post it here correctly wich files i need?

For AMD users, you 'd better follow semthex's FAQ.

I updated my 10.4.6(amd patched) system to 10.4.8 following this guide,

the kernel works, but can't get to GUI.

Because the GUI works only after patching, but it seems that the patcher should work on a clean system.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the hard work. Unfortunately I've run into a problem on booting now...

Followed all instructions exactly on 915-M5 mb with intel sse3 (non-nx) but got the following where it hangs (as seen in -v -x startup mode):

kextd[27]: kext-watch-volumes:couldn't set up diskarb sessions

kextd[27]: diskarb isn't ready yet; we';; try again soon

the above repeats over and over followed by:

giving up on diskarb; auto-rebuild disabled

Nothing happens after that!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi again!

Ok, a bit of patience wouldn't go amiss! Just looked at machine while typing my post on another and hey, it's booted up into the GUI! Now to sort out the screen res....