[GUIDE] MSI H81M Motherboards - Basics of a Computer Build - Budget Hackintosh Builds - UEFI Dualboot - OS X El Capitan WIP*

152 posts in this topic

Excellent guide, Ghostraider. Very thorough and readable. Deserves more than a beer!

However, still cannot boot.  I have the MSI H81M-E34 with Pentium G3258, 8gb ram and wish to use the integrated graphics (I also have access to GTX 950).

I have modified Clover with the following:

Gfx section: Inject Intel, ig-platform-id (0x0166000A)

Kernel+Kext patches: AppleRTC, KernelPM, FakeCPUID (0x0306A0)

SMBIOS: iMac 13,1

I have not copied FakePCIID amd FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400

I attach a screenshot of my failure!  Does it make sense to anyone?

Cheers.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>

<dict>

<key>AppleRTC</key>

<true/>

<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>

<false/>

<key>Debug</key>

<false/>

<key>FakeCPUID</key>

<string>0x0306A0</string>

<key>KernelCpu</key>

<false/>

<key>KernelHaswellE</key>

<false/>

<key>KernelLapic</key>

<false/>

<key>KernelPm</key>

<true/>

</dict>

If not already done - load plist with Cloverconf and tick AppleRTC and KernelPM add FAKECPUID ->0x0306A0 otherwise Haswell 3258 don't boot which was explained in a preview post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi thanks a lot for the guide, I have read it a few times now to understand it the right way and the comments. I checked the link of the motherboard pack and it doesn't works. can you send it or pm it to me please?

I found some other for Asus h81m k but it want yours cause everyone had success with them, thanks a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I built my hackintosh "Handles" back in June using the guide, and I've been for the most part pleased with it. I started with El Capitan as my install, and back in December I finally managed to install Sierra on it. 

But one thing I haven't managed to get working is Energy Saver, or Wake from Sleep. I can put the computer to sleep easily, but then it can't wake up. I've  done some troubleshooting and finally figured out that when it goes to sleep the USB ports shut down, thereby shutting off power to the keyboard and mouse (both are plugged into a hub). I have to power down and then turn the computer back on to get it back up.

I'd wondered if having a custom SDST would fix this, unfortunately, I used an i3 4170 chip, and it's a chip that the Piker-Alpha fix doesn't recognize.

I'm using the MSI H81M-P33 board (1.9), Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM, EVGA 430W power supply, Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 750 TI, Mushkin Triactor 480GB  SSD, WD Blue 1TB hard drive for data, WD 750GB 2.5" drive (Windows 10 boot), LG DVD writer internal drive, Belkin N150 wireless dongle, SYBA Firewire card.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Hi, I built my hackintosh "Handles" back in June using the guide, and I've been for the most part pleased with it. I started with El Capitan as my install, and back in December I finally managed to install Sierra on it. 

But one thing I haven't managed to get working is Energy Saver, or Wake from Sleep. I can put the computer to sleep easily, but then it can't wake up. I've  done some troubleshooting and finally figured out that when it goes to sleep the USB ports shut down, thereby shutting off power to the keyboard and mouse (both are plugged into a hub). I have to power down and then turn the computer back on to get it back up.

I'd wondered if having a custom SDST would fix this, unfortunately, I used an i3 4170 chip, and it's a chip that the Piker-Alpha fix doesn't recognize.

I'm using the MSI H81M-P33 board (1.9), Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM, EVGA 430W power supply, Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 750 TI, Mushkin Triactor 480GB  SSD, WD Blue 1TB hard drive for data, WD 750GB 2.5" drive (Windows 10 boot), LG DVD writer internal drive, Belkin N150 wireless dongle, SYBA Firewire card.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

My motherboard MSI H81M-E34 shouldnt be that different from yours. In my case, whenever I sleep, in order to wake the computer up, I have to press the power button once. After that it wakes up normally. In order to actually force the motherboard to keep USB power on during sleep you have to change a jumper on the motherboard. Read the motherboard manual for more information on this.

My motherboard MSI H81M-E34 shouldnt be that different from yours. In my case, whenever I sleep, in order to wake the computer up, I have to press the power button once. After that it wakes up normally. In order to actually force the motherboard to keep USB power on during sleep you have to change a jumper on the motherboard. Read the motherboard manual for more information on this.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this. Yes, I knew about the jumpers and changed those - no change. And it doesn't wake when pressing the power button, in fact it just shuts the computer down. Turning it back on shows that it had been sleeping though.

I think it may have to do with the i3 4170, though the only way to tell that would be to swap processors to one Piker-Alpha or macOS supports. Sleep definitely works under Windows.

Incidentally, I got ahold of the H81M files from the guide and noticed there's a DSDT file in one of the folders thats designed to work with the E34 board. Do you think substituting this in my Clover folder might make a difference?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this. Yes, I knew about the jumpers and changed those - no change. And it doesn't wake when pressing the power button, in fact it just shuts the computer down. Turning it back on shows that it had been sleeping though.

I think it may have to do with the i3 4170, though the only way to tell that would be to swap processors to one Piker-Alpha or macOS supports. Sleep definitely works under Windows.

Incidentally, I got ahold of the H81M files from the guide and noticed there's a DSDT file in one of the folders thats designed to work with the E34 board. Do you think substituting this in my Clover folder might make a difference?

Don't use the H81M files. They're too old. First of all, you need to extract your DSDT and patch it so that there are no errors. I did generate an SSDT based on my processsor. That's pretty much all i did to get sleep working. Unless you need something specific in Clover.

@dreibel Where exactly are those jumpers you guys are talking about?  I'd like to give it a try on my Asus h81m-d plus board.  No dsdt nor ssdt.  I'm really tired of not bein able to put the machine to sleep.

You should get your DSDT and SSDT. Not sure why you aren't doing that. You have to look at your asus manual to see if any jumpers exist.

Don't use the H81M files. They're too old. First of all, you need to extract your DSDT and patch it so that there are no errors. I did generate an SSDT based on my processsor. That's pretty much all i did to get sleep working. Unless you need something specific in Clover.

You should get your DSDT and SSDT. Not sure why you aren't doing that. You have to look at your asus manual to see if any jumpers exist.

It's not a problem for me to get the DSDT and SSDT, it's a matter of finding the  patches for for my board. I haven't found anyone with DSDT with my board, I've found other models but not for my version.

It's not a problem for me to get the DSDT and SSDT, it's a matter of finding the  patches for for my board. I haven't found anyone with DSDT with my board, I've found other models but not for my version.

I'm not understanding. You only need to get your DSDT first and fix the errors. Or do you not know how to do that? There is an SSDT generator for Core I processors which you can use.

I'm not understanding. You only need to get your DSDT first and fix the errors. Or do you not know how to do that? There is an SSDT generator for Core I processors which you can use.

If you're talking about the Piker's script ssdtPrgen something like that, it wouldn't work for me with the g3258 I used.  I could get the dsdt by using the MaciAsl app. I just don't know how to apply the proper patches I need.  If you know the proper steps I should take, I'd gladly take them and appreciate them as they come. 

okay, I did a search and discovered there's a newer Piker-Alpha script which supports the i3-4170, so I downloaded it and ran it under Terminal, successfully got a custom SSDT, then used your guide to install the new SSDT via Clover. .

It's certainly working - in fact it's doing better power management when I look at it under Intel Power Gadget. However, still the same problems with sleep, and the screen saver. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be something with the switch as far as the latter.

here's the link to the latest Piker-Alpha script: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

• 1 month later...

I'm at a loss. Struggling to get the USB stick to load the OSX installer for Yosemite 10.10.10.

I havent built a Hackintosh in awhile but I had enough spare PC parts from work to mash this thing together. This is my 3rd Hackintosh and the first time I've been unable to get to the installer.

Specs:

Yosemite 10.10.10

MSI H81M-E34 board

Haswell i5-4440

Single Stick 4GB DDR3 RAM

160GB HDD

Followed the guide yet during the Verbose setup I hit a "hmm.. mismatch sizes 3100 vs 20"

The system hangs for a bit then goes to the black screen with white Apple logo with loading bar. I can see and move my cursor and then a beach ball of death happens and the system hangs there not doing anything.

The only deviation I have is that the Clover 2.3K Special Edition Installer is no longer on the site. I ended up using Clover 2.3k r3270 I had from setting up a different Hackintosh. When that failed I used the latest Clover 2.4k r4049. Both give the same issue of hanging at an Apple logo with a loading bar unfilled and beach ball of death. I've also tried getting the installer to launch with both HDD and DVD drives unplugged to no avail.

Followed the guide right up to the install point, right after where the guide notes the deprecated information. I attempt to carry out the install and that's where I'm stuck now.

-16gb USB 2.0 stick formatted HFS+ with GUID partition

-Make bootable Yosemite 10.10.10 media on USB

-Install Clover; UEFI and ESP selected only

-Run Clover Configurator, mount EFI, set ACPI, set Boot, set GUI, set Graphics, set Kernel and Kexts, set RT Variables, set SMBIOS, set System Params, set Drivers according to guide

-Save config.plist to EFI

-Eject USB safely

-Put USB stick into USB 2.0 port

-Set mobo to IGD

-Hit F11 and boot UEFI: USB STICK

-kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 nv_disable=1 -v (I also tried with -f, dart=0, ncpi=0x2000)

-System hangs at "hmm.. mismatch sizes 3100 vs 20"

Any clues as to where I might have gone wrong?

:(

post-458768-0-69642900-1491981852_thumb.jpg

I'm at a loss. Struggling to get the USB stick to load the OSX installer for Yosemite 10.10.10.

I havent built a Hackintosh in awhile but I had enough spare PC parts from work to mash this thing together. This is my 3rd Hackintosh and the first time I've been unable to get to the installer.

Specs:

Yosemite 10.10.10

MSI H81M-E34 board

Haswell i5-4440

Single Stick 4GB DDR3 RAM

160GB HDD

Followed the guide yet during the Verbose setup I hit a "hmm.. mismatch sizes 3100 vs 20"

The system hangs for a bit then goes to the black screen with white Apple logo with loading bar. I can see and move my cursor and then a beach ball of death happens and the system hangs there not doing anything.

The only deviation I have is that the Clover 2.3K Special Edition Installer is no longer on the site. I ended up using Clover 2.3k r3270 I had from setting up a different Hackintosh. When that failed I used the latest Clover 2.4k r4049. Both give the same issue of hanging at an Apple logo with a loading bar unfilled and beach ball of death. I've also tried getting the installer to launch with both HDD and DVD drives unplugged to no avail.

Followed the guide right up to the install point, right after where the guide notes the deprecated information. I attempt to carry out the install and that's where I'm stuck now.

-16gb USB 2.0 stick formatted HFS+ with GUID partition

-Make bootable Yosemite 10.10.10 media on USB

-Install Clover; UEFI and ESP selected only

-Run Clover Configurator, mount EFI, set ACPI, set Boot, set GUI, set Graphics, set Kernel and Kexts, set RT Variables, set SMBIOS, set System Params, set Drivers according to guide

-Save config.plist to EFI

-Eject USB safely

-Put USB stick into USB 2.0 port

-Set mobo to IGD

-Hit F11 and boot UEFI: USB STICK

-kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 nv_disable=1 -v (I also tried with -f, dart=0, ncpi=0x2000)

-System hangs at "hmm.. mismatch sizes 3100 vs 20"

Any clues as to where I might have gone wrong?

:(

That's a pretty funny verbose message lol. Well if you are in fact using the same motherboard as mine then it should be very easy. Though I'm not sure why you want Yosemite if you can use Sierra just fine. For this motherboard you need iMac 14,2 SMBIOS, OsxAptioFix2Drv, KernelPM enabled, AppleRTC enabled, igPlatformID 0x0D220003 if using Intel HD 4600. Now I use a custom SSDT so you will need to enable GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates. For USB, Ethernet, kexts are placed in Clover kext folder.

9byydpx.png

Other than that, this motherboard runs almost vanilla macOS. Not sure why you're having problems.

Well after some tom foolery I managed to get into the installer on some trial and error unstable configuration. I did however learn that dart=x would get me into the installer with my custom config. Originally I had tried to use dart=1 while trying to trouble shoot on day 1 but it failed. This time I did dart=0 and followed the guide and it loaded the installer normally without issues. Frustratingly my Yosemite USB refused to install because of corruption issues, apparently. So I said eff it and went with Sierra like you suggested.

Still had to do dart=0 for Sierra otherwise it would just boot loop.

I bought this MSI H81M-E34 about a week ago from NCIX so it might be that a newer BIOS/EFI revision caused a need to use dart=0.

I'll edit in any other oddities if I run into them once it's up and running

By the way what were the contents of the MSI H81M MotherBoard Pack? The files are gone from the insanelymac site.

post-458768-0-43546600-1492068945_thumb.png

post-458768-0-66657700-1492071637_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GhostRaider! What an incredible amount of effort put into this guide. It's very clear and easy to follow. This wil be my first hackintosh attempt and i'm very happy i've found your guide.

However, i see the Clover and the msi-h81m-motherboards-pack download links don't work anymore. Can i use the Clover version available in the forum's download section? Does that pack is absolutely neccesary? Can i get those files anywhere else?

Sorry about my english, it's not my native language.

Thanks a lot!

Hi GhostRaider! What an incredible amount of effort put into this guide. It's very clear and easy to follow. This wil be my first hackintosh attempt and i'm very happy i've found your guide.

However, i see the Clover and the msi-h81m-motherboards-pack download links don't work anymore. Can i use the Clover version available in the forum's download section? Does that pack is absolutely neccesary? Can i get those files anywhere else?

Sorry about my english, it's not my native language.

Thanks a lot!

The motherboard's pack is not necessary for this guide.

• Like 1

Hi,

I got it also running with a quite vanilla setup using this guide:

http://ddi.hopto.org:3000/henry.brock/CloverInstall

I didn't get the Realtek ALC887 working yet. I am not yet sure which procedure is used to install these drivers in Sierra:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/371-realtek-alc887-vd-cloverhda-patched-applehda-for-mac-os-sierra/

Cheers, xmag

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the sleep and screen saver functions working - as it turns out, the problem was RAM related.

This week I decided to max my RAM to 16GB, so I got ahold of two Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 sticks that I found on sale. After a few days running it, I decided to try sleep again. This time everything worked, and I can wake from sleep by pushing the power button. The screen saver stuff is also working. Plus another fault that I had - iTunes causing the computer to shut off if I ran another audio program in the background - also seems to have disappeared.

Funny that the previous Corsair Vengeance RAM would do that, as it passed all the RAM tests I threw at it, and it all worked OK on the Windows side.

I guess macOS is actually picky about RAM......

https://support.kingston.com/us/hyperx/memory/fury

• 5 weeks later...
MSi H81M-E33 with Sierra 10.12.5 running.

MSI H81M-E33
Intel I5 -4460
HD Graphics 4600
SSD 250GB
8GB DDR3 1600
Mini PCI-E Adapter, AW-CE123H AzureWave

Using Clover EFI with the following kexts.

FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USB_Injector.kext

SMBIOS iMac14.2

KernelAndKextPatches:
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Enable TRIM for SSD</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Boot graphics glitch, 10.10.x/10.11.x (credit lisai9093, cecekpawon)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AQAAdRc=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AQAA6xc=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.12+-BCM94352-fvco-darkvoid</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
gflSqgAAdSk=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
gflSqgAAZpA=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.12+-BCM94352-5GHz-ES</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
QYP8/3QsSA==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ZscGRVPrKw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.11+-BCM94352-Airport-Extreme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
axAAAHUN
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
axAAAJCQ
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.11+-BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SIX/dEdIiwc=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOBluetoothFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Qb4PAAAA60Q=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.12+-BT4LE-Handoff.Hotspot</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
i4eMAQAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOBluetoothFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
uA8AAACQ
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily Pike R. Alpha Patch#1 (Sierra)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
ibPoAgAAweAMBQAQAACJgw==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ibPoAgAAweAJBQAQAACJgw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Zeroing 11d4198a codec (patched by AppleHDA Patcher.app)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
ihnUEQ==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleHDA</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Zeroing 11d41984 codec (patched by AppleHDA Patcher.app)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
hBnUEQ==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Patching 11d4198b with 10ec0887 codec (patched by AppleHDA Patcher.app)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
ixnUEQ==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
hwjsEA==
</data>
</dict>
</array>

ForceKextsToLoad:

\System\Library\Extensions\IO80211Family.kext\Contents\Plugins\AirPortBrcm4360.kext

Note: WiFi and Bluetoth OK , Handoff Ok , AirDrop OK.

Patching DSDT & SSDTs

Extracting native ACPI files

1. Boot into Clover bootloader menu.
  2. Press F4 on your keyboard. This will dump your native DSDT/SSDT files to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/originYou will get no feedback. Proceed.
  3. Boot into OS X.
  4. Mount EFI.

Patching ACPI files

1. Download MaciASLhttp://sourceforge.n...ojects/maciasl/
  2. Launch MaciASL.
  3. Go to MaciASL > Preferences > iASL.
  4. Set ACPI 5.1 under Compiler Options > ACPI Specifications > ACPI 6.1

Patch Repositories, go to pjalm.com/forums/

SSDT/Power Management

Use ssdtPRGen to create a SSDT for your system. https://github.com/P...ha/ssdtPRGen.sh

1. Open Terminal and type:
    curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/master/ssdtPRGen.sh
    chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
  2. Type this command to generate an SSDT for your system:

~/ssdtPRGen.sh

KEXTS for SLE.

AppleHDA.kext

BrcmFirmawareRepo.kext

BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

CodecCommander.kext

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

FakePCIID.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

For Realteck ALC 887 use AppleHDA Partch v1.8

Note: Intel HD Graphics 4600 tested with HDMI, I have not yet tested it in VGA.

Here you have my Config.plist and my DSDT already patched,

config.plist.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

• 1 year later...