[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I followed the guide here and got my surface pro 3 running OS X fine, but I can't get the SYSTEM partition to actually update when I copy the CLOVERX64.efi to the SYSTEM partion after mounting it with EFI-mounter-v2 and renaming it to BOOTX64.efi, then also renaming the bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Everytime I do this it seems to revert back once I try and reboot the system. I had no issues with installing Clover, it just does not want to boot from the internal EFI/SYSTEM partition with CLOVER. It just boots to windows everytime, and clover is not seen without the USB installer plugged in.

Oh and I did install to ESP, so that is not it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

Edited by jimbridgman

Hey guys,

I followed the guide here and got my surface pro 3 running OS X fine, but I can't get the SYSTEM partition to actually update when I copy the CLOVERX64.efi to the SYSTEM partion after mounting it with EFI-mounter-v2 and renaming it to BOOTX64.efi, then also renaming the bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Everytime I do this it seems to revert back once I try and reboot the system. I had no issues with installing Clover, it just does not want to boot from the internal EFI/SYSTEM partition with CLOVER. It just boots to windows everytime, and clover is not seen without the USB installer plugged in.

Oh and I did install to ESP, so that is not it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

Hi

you have to copy CLOVERX64.efi to bootmgfw.efi - see

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299021-109-on-the-surface-pro-3/?p=2116256

Gkarg

Hi Everybody,

i not found a solution to install osx on a Micro SD card so i made a partition of the surface SDD and everything is going fine ... the audio still not work but i will fix (i found some other had the same problem and there is a solution already).

i don't have a wifi dongle but i have an Apple ethernet usb adapter and working fine ... but when i open The AppStore and login i have an error :

Your Device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

i look already on google and someone say it's a problem about the nullethernet.kext , i'm a newbe here and i don't know how to solve it.

I need to install xcode but i don't know how.

Someone had the same problem and can help me ?

Thanks

Hi

did you try http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298806-guide-how-to-fix-appstore-ibooks-icloud/ or http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/how-to-fix-mac-app-store-error-your.html

Gkarg

Is there a way to mount the Windows drive in OS X, and vice-versa? I've done a little bit of research on it, I'm pretty sure they're probably on different partition tables and that's an issue. 

Thanks

Hi

you should see the Windows drives from OS X, since Yosemite can read NTFS filesystems.

To see the HFS filesystem in Windows you need to install a HFS driver (Paragon for example)

Gkarg

Hi, guys.

P.S. How do I view and edit the EFI system partition on Windows? I used a software with limited capabilities that only let me view what's on the root folder of the partition. (a free one is preferred.)

Hi

For me worked diskpart - for example the steps decribed in http://superuser.com/a/699353

gkarg

Hey guys,

I am having a problem while installing Yosemite 10.10.2. While on the black screen with the Apple logo, the loader starts filling, but at about 30% the screen shows some weird graphics and the installation stops.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I am having a problem while installing Yosemite 10.10.2. While on the black screen with the Apple logo, the loader starts filling, but at about 30% the screen shows some weird graphics and the installation stops.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi, do you inject all the kext provided with the guide ?

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi

Once, please try the installation again in my successful configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Putting OS X back on my SP3 - used to have it a few months ago, but removed it since it took up too much space. (I have a new laptop now  :P).

However, I'm stuck at the screen with a distorted Apple logo and spinning wheel after loading.

This happened a while back on my first attempt, and I can't remember what you do to fix it? It's definitely graphics related.

Also, is anyone else trying El Capitan on their SP3? Apart from this bug, which I'm sure is fixable, seems to be smooth so far.. ;)

It appears Yosemite is having problems now too :/

Update 2:

I've had a lot of different error messages, etc, but at the moment it's currently going the whole way through the install, hanging after the installation loading bar then all the windows close, the menubar disappears and that's it. I've left to see if it will restart, and after 30 mins it doesn't, and nothing shows up in Clover apart from the install USB and Windows.

Has anyone successfully installed OS X on their SP3 in the past month? Because I can't get it to work at all, despite using all the files and instructions from the tutorial.

Edited by jxt

It appears Yosemite is having problems now too :/

Update 2:

I've had a lot of different error messages, etc, but at the moment it's currently going the whole way through the install, hanging after the installation loading bar then all the windows close, the menubar disappears and that's it. I've left to see if it will restart, and after 30 mins it doesn't, and nothing shows up in Clover apart from the install USB and Windows.

Has anyone successfully installed OS X on their SP3 in the past month? Because I can't get it to work at all, despite using all the files and instructions from the tutorial.

I have just finished installing it again. Worked fine.

Edit: Not  sure about El Capitan. Yosemite works.

Edit 2: I had another question. I primarily use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Specifically the Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard and Surface Arc Mouse. Once in a while, I'll get a pop up saying there is no bluetooth mouse or keyboard set up. While they're both working perfectly. Is there a way to get this notification to not appear? And I'm also not seeing any brightness settings. I've had them on my first OS X install. Is there a way to reactivate them?

is possible to someone create na updated tutorial of yosemite install for new users?

a basic one, with file links.

thanks

It certainly is. I'll get on that this upcoming weekend. I'll need to read through this topic and see what is updated. If someone who has been active recently can PM me some notable changes that I need to make I will do it sooner. There is a dearth of time recently.

Thank you so much, looking forward to your revised guide. I'm a bit of a newbie (well I did have a Hackintosh years ago but a friend set it up for me) but as far as I've understood reading through this guide, the sleep issue and the sound issue have been solved. Once alex.daoud finishes the touch support, this will be completely amazing.

Will this guide be also applicable to 10.11 and has anyone tried it? On my mbp even the DP runs so much smoother and faster and in DP2 I couldn't find any bugs so far.

Is it safe to update to 10.10.4?

Another question. I can't figure out why I don't have brightness options and controls. Is there something I've missed?

Edit: The update seemed to work just fine. Nothing seems broken.

montaefkmaguydos!! whats taking so long!!! so it installs on surface pro 2 but not 3? what's going on? the kexts? do we all have winDIRstat installed?!!??!

how can i help, i know some true basic

Hey folks, 

Just want to thank @LonelyTV primarily but everyone else who's contributed to this thread.  I've been a long time hackintosher but just recently decided to take the plunge on my SP3.  I've followed this thread and it's worked pretty well, though i've got the i7 model so a few things don't work as well as they appear to for other people.  For those above asking for an update so they can get it working on their SP3. just follow page one of this thread.  it works already.  Haven't tried upgrading to 10.0.4 though.

bits that aren't so good on SP3 i7:

• SP3 requires second boot to get sound drivers working
  • winblows was killing my clover boot from HD until i went into winblows and changed my prefs to not go into sleep/snapshot mode when shutting down. 
  • headphones input jack doesn't sense input.  attempts to follow suggested in here seems to kill the video kext and the whole thing goes into software render mode (can't retrieve it without a reinstall)
  • video works great, if i apply the 2nd half boot video fix it corrupts some icons and a strip along the bottom of the screen all the time, so I opt for crappy boot video with clean display on the desktop.
  • occasionally (usually when i'm about to show someone my awesome tablet mac hack) the keycover touchpad goes into absolute mode and the cursor relocates to wherever i touch on the touchpad (can't tap/click anything on the top/left/bottom/right 20% of the screen).

other than those issues, which i'm sure a few are fixable, but i'm fed up of reinstalling for now (will get back on the wagon when those touchscreen drivers come through)!

Again, thanks heaps for assembling these instructions!

I don't think the update has been written yet. I'm patiently waiting for it too. This is the second OS X install I have, for whatever reason I don't have brightness control and the sound seems a lot quieter this second time around.

But, yeah, you can find sleep and type cover fixes throughout the thread. Headphone sound/detection.. I think it's there? I can't figure out how to get that working.

It would also be nice to figure out how to get 1280x854 hidpi or 1600x1066 hidpi (if this is even possible) working. I can only manage 1280x800 hidpi for whatever reason.

Also, has anyone tried installing the El Capitan public preview on a SP3 yet? Was wondering how that's holding up.

Do you mean to just follow the instructions on page 1? Because a few things have been added, no? Like sleep, Type Cover and even headphone sound (I think)...

yeah, page 1 stuff.  type cover adaptation is right there in the first post. I tried the sleep and headphone stuff but it didn't work, though I probably didn't do it correctly.  

I did get the headphone output working but it didn't stop the sound coming out of the speakers as well.  I didn't attempt the headphone jack insertion detection stuff though

we need more organisation here.. who's leading the show...

kexts

drivers

toouch screen (lower priority)

wifi

bluetooth (essential)

one click installer with no bloody faffing about ESSENTIAL

stick it on an oosb

boot it up BINGO

HOW CAN I HELP.. I can read some books or find the drivers on torrent sites then put them in the right folders... or can we use VMWare..

i've instaled ubuntu multiple times and may versions of windows from BSOD station using the BIOS programming terminal (selecting boot from usb etc) and im pretty good on photoshop

one thing we can do is post pictures of ourselves with our surface preows before and after installing OSX

mine is in my pp

let me know how i can look for drivers in google.. is there some japanese/russian chap thats clued up on this stuff? i saw it working on the sp2 very well, seemed fully featured..