[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Thank you for tis great guide - I just installed 10.10.2 on my Surface Pro 3 (i5). Everything works except for Audio (no sound is coming out of the back speakers). I am using the kexts in the installation guide.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to get the speakers working?

Thanks in advance!

Use Mirone's ALC288, it works

Use Mirone's ALC288, it works

Thank you! I will try this.

Another question: I'd like to boot from the micro SD card (so I can leave the wifi dongle plugged in) - is this possible (that is, can I boot into Clover if it's installed on the micro SD card?) If so, is there anything I need to configure?

Thanks.

Another question: I'd like to boot from the micro SD card (so I can leave the wifi dongle plugged in) - is this possible (that is, can I boot into Clover if it's installed on the micro SD card?) If so, is there anything I need to configure?

Thanks.

Hi

Yes - this works. You have to press "volume down" while powering on your Surface Pro 3 to boot from SD-CARD

Gkarg

Does anyone have problems when unplugging the AC Adapter, the brightness keeps changing and battery icon flashes between no battery installed and using battery ?

i have this issue as well, did you manage to fix it?

so far my work around is that

disable this:

post-1469249-0-95373300-1429872360_thumb.png

gkark. I installed yosemite on an scared and running it just how you mentioned.

I need to find away to get the touch keyboard option in clover i lost it so now i need to have the keyboard plugged in order to boot either OS.

Hi

I had also some Clover versions with this bug - just update your Clover version on your SD-Card. Also sometimes it helps to shutdown the PC and power on again, so the Type Cover works in Clover.

Gkarg

So i need some help. I got a replacement surface three and have used a time machine backup to restore my hackintosh, but now no matter what driver i use i cant get the machine to show available networks when using my edimax wireless adapter. Im currently on 10.10.3 can anyone help me please

Thanks.

To answer my own question (and for anyone who wants to do this) - yes, you can boot Clover from the microSD card, but when formatting it in Disk Utility, you need to make sure you go to "options" and set it as a GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Wanted to share with everyone the working USB-periphels that I am using with 10.10 on my Surface Pro 3:

I have all my USB devices plugged into this small hub:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ5RYP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I've velcro'ed to the back of the Surface.

Wanted to share with everyone the working USB-periphels that I am using with 10.10 on my Surface Pro 3:

Have you test Continuity and Handoff with these gadgets? I can never get mine to work.

And how does the performance of OSX on SD card compare with SSD?

Have you test Continuity and Handoff with these gadgets? I can never get mine to work.

And how does the performance of OSX on SD card compare with SSD?

Have not tried Continuity/Handoff yet - I am still having issues getting iMessage to work correctly. I can send messages, but cannot receive them.

I am not running OSX off the SD card, it's just the Clover bootloader. OSX is still running off a partition on the SSD.

Hi guys i cannot boot my surface from the usb :( i follow the guide but i'm not able to boot the surface pro 3 with the usb formatted with clover and the yosemite installer :(

Somebody can help me ?

thank you 

I am going through the same problem.After restoring my surface pro 3 to windows 8.1 including applying the most recent firmware updates from Microsoft, i am unable to add back Mac Os

Have had no problems before running it before that!

What could have happened ? The usb drive with the latest version of clover is not bootable anymnore.

To answer my own question (and for anyone who wants to do this) - yes, you can boot Clover from the microSD card, but when formatting it in Disk Utility, you need to make sure you go to "options" and set it as a GPT (GUID Partition Table).Wanted to share with everyone the working USB-periphels that I am using with 10.10 on my Surface Pro 3:

I have all my USB devices plugged into this small hub:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ5RYP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I've velcro'ed to the back of the Surface.

The Bluetooth adapter is currently unavailable. Do you have any alternatives you can list?

The Bluetooth adapter is currently unavailable. Do you have any alternatives you can list?

Any USB bluetooth adapter should work, but search for one that has "Mac compatibility" if you're concerned.

Just download and run continuum for mac

I have an iPhone as well and handoff works great.  basically any alert i get on my phone, i get on my mac.  my bookmarks on my mac are now on my iPhone and same with recent websites i was looking at on both devices.  plus my surface edition Bluetooth mouse, wireless keyboard bar, and Bluetooth speakers all work and connect with no problem.

if you do get it, ill be more than happy too answer any questions you have.  i usually check this site daily.... still praying for those touchscreen drivers too become available

important

i've manage to re-install mac os. you must delete all boot keys from the surface Efi bios and generate a new one, although it won't work. this is a relative recent update microsoft did.

on a funny note and almost impossible , the newest clover i installed was having touch capabilities until the second restart.

• Like 1

For some time I was wondering if we could get to use the AppleUSBXHCI instead of the GenericUSBXHCI. Not only for a smoother install experience, but also for maybe higher performance and stability. E.g. the other week I noticed plugging in my iPad Air would reliably freeze the SF3.

Anyways, today I dedicated some time to give it a try and it turns out: yes we can!

All needed is some yet more DSDT and SSDT patching to replace all XHC* to XHC1, and adding a Apple device-specic method to return some over current data:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{   
Store (Package (0x09)
{   
"AAPL,current-available",
0x0834,
"AAPL,current-extra",
0x0898,
"AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep",
0x0640,
"AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep",
0x0834,
Buffer (0x01)
{   
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3)
RefOf (Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

And the Apple system kext load and works just fine:

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x9c31 

PCI Revision ID: 0x0004 

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086 

Bus Number: 0x0a 

$ kextstat | grep -i xhci

49    0 0xffffff7f81165000 0x22000    0x22000    com.apple.driver.AppleUSBXHCI (710.4.11) <48 12 7 5 4 3 1>

As I started from my vanilla DSDT I now need to revise this battery tweaks to get my battery percentage back on screen ;-)
  • Like 2

Just download and run continuum for mac

I have an iPhone as well and handoff works great.  basically any alert i get on my phone, i get on my mac.  my bookmarks on my mac are now on my iPhone and same with recent websites i was looking at on both devices.  plus my surface edition Bluetooth mouse, wireless keyboard bar, and Bluetooth speakers all work and connect with no problem.

if you do get it, ill be more than happy too answer any questions you have.  i usually check this site daily.... still praying for those touchscreen drivers too become available

Hi, can you explain how to enable handoff with usb bluetooth adapter. Clover patch or any app specifically? (just google continuum for mac, it is a game, lol)

I have an IOgear. it is plug n play, but not handoff feature. thanks!

For some time I was wondering if we could get to use the AppleUSBXHCI instead of the GenericUSBXHCI. Not only for a smoother install experience, but also for maybe higher performance and stability. E.g. the other week I noticed plugging in my iPad Air would reliably freeze the SF3.

Anyways, today I dedicated some time to give it a try and it turns out: yes we can!

All needed is some yet more DSDT and SSDT patching to replace all XHC* to XHC1, and adding a Apple device-specic method to return some over current data:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{   
Store (Package (0x09)
{   
0x0834,
"AAPL,current-extra",
0x0898,
0x0640,
0x0834,
Buffer (0x01)
{   
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3)
RefOf (Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

And the Apple system kext load and works just fine:

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x9c31 

PCI Revision ID: 0x0004 

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086 

Bus Number: 0x0a 

$ kextstat | grep -i xhci

49    0 0xffffff7f81165000 0x22000    0x22000    com.apple.driver.AppleUSBXHCI (710.4.11) <48 12 7 5 4 3 1>

As I started from my vanilla DSDT I now need to revise this battery tweaks to get my battery percentage back on screen ;-)

Hi ppage

First many thanks - still have questions for the DSDT / SSDT patching - when i replace "XHC* to XHC1" - so i also need to replace XHCI and XHCP to XHC1 oder only the XHC and XHC. strings ? * means all - I just want go be sure, before nothing works anymore ;-)

The Apple device specific method only needs to be added to the DSDT, right ?

Edited after some analysis on my current config:

It seams i don't need to patch anything. With kextstat | grep -i xhci i found out, that both - AppleUSBXHCI & GenericUSBXHCI are already loaded on my system - the reason is, I applied all USB patches from the Rehab repository with MaciASL to use AppleUSBXHCI months ago  - but forgot to remove  the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Therefore I just removed GenericUSBXHCI.kext now and after a reboot the AppleUSBXHCI loaded without any problems and is shown now under system profiler for the USB3 device tree. I found also in my DSDT the following Apple device specific method applied by the Rehab patches:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method            {
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x03                                           
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x12)
                {
                    "AAPL,clock-id", 
                    Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x01                                           
                    }, 

"built-in", 
                    Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x00                                           
                    }, 

"subsystem-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x70, 0x72, 0x00, 0x00                         
                    }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x86, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00                         
                    }, 

0x0834, 
                    "AAPL,current-extra", 
                    0x0898, 
                    0x0640, 
                    "AAPL,device-internal", 
                    0x02, 
                    0x0834
                })
            }
        }

So - the fix seams to be already in the Rehab repository - for me everything works with the AppleUSBXHCI - thanks to painting on this.

Then i tried the first time to connect my ipad Air, since you wrote, that the GenericUSBXHCI freezed - just to check, how it works with the  AppleUSBXHCI - but I got every 20-30 seconds a request window on my Surface Pro 3 / ipad air - if i want to trust this computer - i always entered "trust" - but this didn't help - just the requester pops up again every 20-30 minutes.

Thanks

gkarg

Hi, guys.

I'm new here. I have a SP3 i7 and I just install the latest update of Yosemite (10.10.3)

Everything went smoothly, except the last part that make Yosemite boot from the Harddisk instead of the installation MicroSD card that I used.
When I try to install Clover bootloader on my OSX partition, it gave an error in the "writing" phase of the installation process.
The main problem is that I can't even boot into Clover on my MicroSD, it stuck with "scanning..." on the Surface startup splash screen.

I suspect that Clover did install a bit of sth on the EFI System partition, because I can see an "APPLE" folder in there. 

Please somebody help me fix this. Should I delete sth from the EFI System partition? Or should I just delete my OSX partition and start over? Tbh, I really don't want to reinstall Yosemite. I borrowed my friend's USB keyboard n mouse and I already give them back.

P.S. How do I view and edit the EFI system partition on Windows? I used a software with limited capabilities that only let me view what's on the root folder of the partition. (a free one is preferred.)

Is there a way to mount the Windows drive in OS X, and vice-versa? I've done a little bit of research on it, I'm pretty sure they're probably on different partition tables and that's an issue. 

Thanks

Hi Everybody, 

i not found a solution to install osx on a Micro SD card so i made a partition of the surface SDD and everything is going fine ... the audio still not work but i will fix (i found some other had the same problem and there is a solution already).

i don't have a wifi dongle but i have an Apple ethernet usb adapter and working fine ... but when i open The AppStore and login i have an error :

Your Device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

i look already on google and someone say it's a problem about the nullethernet.kext , i'm a newbe here and i don't know how to solve it.

I need to install xcode but i don't know how.

Someone had the same problem and can help me ?

Thanks