Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

I've not had any problems with 2.0.9RC2 on ESXi 6.5 running a freshly installed 10.12 Sierra VM.  I used a 10.10 VM on another KVM-based virtualization platform to create the ISO (not sure the previous platform matters much, just FYI).  This is in a 3 host cluster and I can vMotion the machine around, etc with no problems.

I did add the smc.version=0 to the VMX, though I had no problems before (but I didn't want to run the risk of a host crashing later).  You can use PowerCLI to add this setting so you don't have to edit the VMX by hand, reload the VM in a vCenter inventory, etc.  Here's how I did it:

Connect-VIServer (enter requested info)

New-AdvancedSetting -Entity (Get-VM -Name Name_Of_VM_Here) -Name smc.version -Value 0

Confirm the setting with:

Get-AdvancedSetting -Entity (Get-VM -Name Name_Of_VM_Here) -Name smc.version

Hope this helps someone.  Thanks for the great tool.

Can i ask you how you did it? I can not boot it freezes during boot of osx 10.12

maybe my cpu is the problem (Xeon E5-2630v4)... but i can't get it booted with Chameleon either that just stops my VM

EDIT: Got it working is was indeed smc.version=0 that did the trick... installing right now on ESXi 6.5 (to test)

All looks fine now, it is just to run a iTunes with a shared library.

Can i ask you how you did it? I can not boot it freezes during boot of osx 10.12

maybe my cpu is the problem (Xeon E5-2630v4)... but i can't get it booted with Chameleon either that just stops my VM

EDIT: Got it working is was indeed smc.version=0 that did the trick... installing right now on ESXi 6.5 (to test)

All looks fine now, it is just to run a iTunes with a shared library.

So did a test today... macOS Sierra works well on ESXi 6.5 and 6.0 but.... i feel Sierra is more responsive on ESXi 6.0 feels faster so i stay for now on ESXi 6.0 instead of 6.5

Only boot is faste rin ESXi 6.5 but the rest is faster in ESXi 6.0

Hello guys, this is my first post here, I hope it's not misplaced.

I'm having a very strange issue that I experience right now with Unlocker.

I'm running 

* Windows 10 Pro Insider build 15019

* VMWare Pro 12.5.2 build-4638234 (the latest as of today), or VMWare Pro 11

* Unlocker 2.07,2.08

If I use any of the mentionned unlockers, with any of the mentionned VMWare, the modification is done correctly, and MacOS VM boots correctly. 

However after applying unlocker, I loose the use of both the keyboard and the mouse in all VM (Windows, Linux, MacOS). 

Plugging an additionnal USB mouse or keyboard while VM is running doesn't help either

Uninstalling the unlocker restore keyboard and mouse use in VM, but then MacOS no longer boot.

Also, enabling/disabling virtual keyboard driver in VMWare installation doesn't help.

So this is a pretty strange issue and maybe related to Windows Insider build which is pretty unstable these days.

Anyone is having something similar ?

Regards

I'm having a very strange issue that I experience right now with Unlocker.
[...]

However after applying unlocker, I loose the use of both the keyboard and the mouse in all VM (Windows, Linux, MacOS). 
[...]

I have finally identified the culprit, which is probably a new security scheme recently enforced by Windows.

Patching the binary files destroy the validity of their digital signature. And it seems that if an executable with a damaged signature is launched, the windows build I have isolate the process from any keyboard or mouse input. It can be well understood as a security feature preventing any forged executable from receiving input of a typed password or so.

So, I took all the individual files that were modified by the unlocker, and stripped the digital signature (so they appear as not signed), and it worked. keyboard and mouse input are back in VM's.

So, IMHO, the next flavor of unlocker should also deal with the digital signature of the patched files, and strip them so the patched binary files don't appear as forged from the OS point of view.

If it's in a Windows insider build, I assume it'll make it through the regular builds, sooner or later so it's going to be necessary.

For the record, I've used delcert tool (from XDA Developper forum) to strip digital signature from DLL and EXE. I'm not sure I can post here a direct link, yet googling for it should provide a direct link effortless.

Hi Everyone. 

I have ESXi 6.0 Update 2 installed on our datacenter server from Fujitsu. It is Primergy RX300S7 with the following CPU "Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2640 0 @ 2.50GHz".

I have installed unblocker208. When I try to set up a guest with osx I have no luck. 

When I trie it with 10.8 I can't boot the setup. During this the boot hangs in a loop. VMWare.log

2017-02-15T11:36:26.360Z| mks| I120: SOCKET 4 (122) Creating VNC remote connection.
2017-02-15T11:36:26.425Z| mks| W110: VNCENCODE 4 failed to allocate VNCBlitDetect
2017-02-15T11:36:26.425Z| mks| W110: VNCENCODE 4 failed to allocate VNCBackBuffer
2017-02-15T11:36:27.774Z| vmx| W110: USB: Device 0x4000000105ac020b, config 1, interface 0 with altsetting 1 not found
2017-02-15T11:36:40.874Z| vcpu-0| I120: Tools: Tools heartbeat timeout.
2017-02-15T11:37:07.534Z| vcpu-0| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.
2017-02-15T11:37:07.534Z| vcpu-0| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.
2017-02-15T11:37:16.324Z| vmx| I120: GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox-dnd timed out.

When I try Sierra. I end up in the result you see in the attached screenshot esx_error.png. 

And with Yosemite it is like 10.8 you see this vmware.log and the boot to setup not finishing... 
2017-02-15T11:47:30.016Z| vcpu-0| I120: CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)
2017-02-15T11:47:35.353Z| vcpu-0| I120: UHCI: Global Reset
2017-02-15T11:47:35.454Z| vcpu-0| I120: UHCI: HCReset
2017-02-15T11:47:37.068Z| vmx| W110: USB: Device 0x4000000105ac020b, config 1, interface 0 with altsetting 1 not found
2017-02-15T11:47:40.002Z| mks| I120: SOCKET 4 (122) Creating VNC remote connection.
2017-02-15T11:47:40.067Z| mks| W110: VNCENCODE 4 failed to allocate VNCBlitDetect
2017-02-15T11:47:40.067Z| mks| W110: VNCENCODE 4 failed to allocate VNCBackBuffer
2017-02-15T11:47:48.884Z| vcpu-0| I120: Tools: Tools heartbeat timeout.
2017-02-15T11:47:52.663Z| vcpu-0| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.
2017-02-15T11:47:52.663Z| vcpu-0| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.

In my .vmx file I have this config lines:

smc.present = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.version = "0"

But no luck. What I am doing wrong? Please help.

Regards
briloner

EDIT: I think I have an error. After executing esxi-install.sh I executed   /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh   and after that setup boots. I will now go on with my tests. 

EDIT2: After rebooting the ESXi the guest with OSX do not start anymore. 

Then I do again the following:

./esxi-install.sh

/etc/rc.local.d/local.sh

After that the guest with OSX starts again.

Why is this operation not persistent? And why must I execute "/etc/rc.local.d/local.sh" manually? 

Regards 

briloner

post-1984332-0-64300600-1487158853_thumb.png

Unlocker 2.0.7 has a firmware directory, and the readme has instructions to install to provide support for the non Server version of Snow Leopard media, only Snow Leopard Server is supported by VMware due to the Apple EULA. Please note the firmware option is now degraded and not offered as part of unlocker 2.0.8. Donk is looking at a new method to support non server media of Snow Leopard, watch this space.

Hello guys, and thank you for your awesome work.

Are there any news on this? I googled a bit here and there, but I seem stuck on it: Fusion Pro 8.5.3, Unlocker 2.0.8, Snow Leopard guest from vanilla .iso made out from original DVD, it keeps saying only server version can be installed.

Didn't try installing Lion and upper versions yet.

Hello guys, and thank you for your awesome work.

Are there any news on this? I googled a bit here and there, but I seem stuck on it: Fusion Pro 8.5.3, Unlocker 2.0.8, Snow Leopard guest from vanilla .iso made out from original DVD, it keeps saying only server version can be installed.

Didn't try installing Lion and upper versions yet.

Here you go http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/318108-how-can-i-bypass-the-guest-os-is-not-os-x-server-on-vmware-fusion/

There is a script in there that will fix a non-server disk to allow installation. You shouldn't need the unlocker for this on macOS and Fusion.

Here you go http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/318108-how-can-i-bypass-the-guest-os-is-not-os-x-server-on-vmware-fusion/

There is a script in there that will fix a non-server disk to allow installation. You shouldn't need the unlocker for this on macOS and Fusion.

Donk, thank you very much.

Unfortunately, like the user in the other thread, a few seconds after starting the VM, the apple logo turns into the deny symbol.

I run your script against mounted ISO I was previously using as source, first time "as is", then after uncommenting row 3 (set -x).

Then I made a fresh new one (.dmg) from original SL DVD, once again first time "as is", then after uncommenting row 3.

I even tried to lower compatibility level to v11 and v10, but still no luck.

I didn't uninstall unlocker before starting all the process, I guessed it was unnecessary/unrelated.

If you'd like to get some logs or anything else, please let me know.

Anyone has tried Clover for macOS installation on ESXi? I'm using 6.5, and VM crashes when I use Clover for installation. If I directly install macOS, it works fine. I do want to use clover so that pass-through video card can be spoofed. Thanks.

Hi i tried but had no luck. I will have to do more tests to find out why but until now I can't get it to work, but also testing on C612 chipset with Xeon E5-2630v4 which is more difficult i have it running without ESXi on a X99 board since 2 weeks if i have some time i will test it out again because when testing this out i had not tried it in a couple of months so i will do again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

As many, thank you for the time and effort in working on this.

I have ESXi 6.5 with the Feb update build 4887370

I ran the esxi-install.sh script but now none of my VM's will power on (only got 3 test ones right now)

Power On VM 

Key 

haTask-26-vim.VirtualMachine.powerOn-201521506

Description 

Power On this virtual machine

Virtual machine  

AD01-test

State 

Failed  - Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process. 

Errors 

•Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process.

Any thoughts?  (currently digging through logs myself.

So the issue appears to the be the link unlocker puts in

WARNING: User: 4530: vmx: Error in initial cartel setup: Failed to open /bin/vmx: Operation not permitted
Now if i view

/bin/vmx shortcut

it points to

/unlocker/vmx

The directory from the root does exist:

/unlocker

And the vmx file is in there and is 25,936 KB in size..

Found this little note:

vSphere 6.5 has implemented a security sandbox for VMs. One of the aspects of the sandbox is disallowing any executables that are not part of the base system VIB.

Reviewing GitHub now as you note 6.5 is supported, sure I am doing something wrong, or the February update is blocking something.

Edited by MrGuvernment

I can confirm 2.09RC2 works well with 6.5 and latest OSX. Took the risk even though it was advised against since I couldn't get it working with 2.08 at all. Worked first try with 2.09RC2. Also, I have IPMI and a physical KVM hooked up to the box and it was a fresh install, so no biggie here.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting findings

I have an old no brand server with

MB Intel S5500BC
2 CPUs Xeon E5620 2.4Ghz
RAM 32 GB

First installation was esxi-5.0 and then some updates/upgrades till version esxi-6.0u2

I installed the unlocker-2.0.8 and tried to install El Capitan. No matter what I did with the VM version 10-11, adding several lines to the vmx file, the boot from the iso always stopped at around 60% of the progress bar, and the last lines in vmware.log where:

vcpu-0| I120: Tools: Tools heartbeat timeout.
vcpu-1| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.
vcpu-1| I120: SMC_Open: Unable to open the driver.
vmx| I120: GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox-dnd timed out.

Then I did a fresh install of esxi-6.0u1, added unlocker-2.0.8

I created a VM version 10 (just to be safe) for OSX-10.9, with 4GB ram and 2 cores and then added to the vmx file:

smc.version = 0 (always playing safe)

And El Capitan was installed smoothly. Configured the Mac and installed vmware-tools.

I am also running a VM with SnowLeopard Server 64bits that I created years ago in Vmware-Fusion. What I did was to create a VM version 10 for SnowLeopard Server, added to the vmx file

smc.version = 0

And then replaced the vmdk files with those from Fusion (adjusting the names of the files).

The VM booted quite fast and then I upgraded vmware-tools.

I hope this information is useful.

JT

Edited by jtoribio

My system is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS + VMware workstation 12.5.4 build-5192485

After ./lnx-install.sh , I got these message below , anyone have good idea , thanks

VMware Unlocker 2.0.8
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-15
Creating backup folder...
'/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx' -> './backup/vmware-vmx'
'/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug' -> './backup/vmware-vmx-debug'
'/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats' -> './backup/vmware-vmx-stats'
'/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so' -> './backup/libvmwarebase.so'
Patching...

(vmplayer:4402): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./unlocker.py", line 413, in <module>
    main()
  File "./unlocker.py", line 361, in main
    vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmplayer", "-v"])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 574, in check_output
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['vmplayer', '-v']' returned non-zero exit status 1

I found solution -> do not use ssh to Ubuntu , It will worked----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbiew asking for help, my win-install.cmd and win-update-tools.cmd is stuck on downloading the tools. How can I fix this or manually do it?

fcl,

You can download the tools at the following location, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Also the How To guide has full details regarding manually installing the VMware tools, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-to-el-capitan-in-vmware-workstation-1011-workstation-proplayer-12-player-67-esxi-56/

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot get very far with installing MacOS Sierra 10.12 under ESXi 6.5.  I've reapplied Unlocker 2.0.9 RC numerous times rebooted ESXi, but his has not helped.  I have also recreated the VM several times. 

I get as far as the black screen with the Apple logo, but no progress bar or anything beyond that.  CPU is idle, and memory is at about 300MB.  I've attached a screenshot.

ESXi version:
ESXi build number:

VM settings:

Guest OS
Apple Mac OS X 10.12 (64-bit)
Compatibility
ESXi 6.5 and later (VM version 13)
VMware Tools
No
CPUs
Memory
4 GB
Hard disk 1: 40 GB
SCSI Controller 0: LSI Logic Parallel
USB controller 1: USB 2.0
Network Adapter 1: VM Network
CD/DVD Drive 1: Datastore ISO file (Sierra.iso)

I've also tried adding the smc.version = "0" to the .vmx file, which I understand should not be required, but this hasn't helped regardless.

Can someone please offer any ideas?  Thank you!

post-701511-0-32006700-1491014452_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot get very far with installing MacOS Sierra 10.12 under ESXi 6.5.  I've reapplied Unlocker 2.0.9 RC numerous times rebooted ESXi, but his has not helped.  I have also recreated the VM several times. 

I get as far as the black screen with the Apple logo, but no progress bar or anything beyond that.  CPU is idle, and memory is at about 300MB.  I've attached a screenshot.

ESXi version:
ESXi build number:

VM settings:

Guest OS
Apple Mac OS X 10.12 (64-bit)
Compatibility
ESXi 6.5 and later (VM version 13)
VMware Tools
No
CPUs
Memory
4 GB
Hard disk 1: 40 GB
SCSI Controller 0: LSI Logic Parallel
USB controller 1: USB 2.0
Network Adapter 1: VM Network
CD/DVD Drive 1: Datastore ISO file (Sierra.iso)

I've also tried adding the smc.version = "0" to the .vmx file, which I understand should not be required, but this hasn't helped regardless.

Can someone please offer any ideas?  Thank you!

My guess would be that there is something wrong with your .iso file. There are no official .iso images distributed by Apple, so how did you create it?

If you have a working Mac, download the macOS Sierra Installer from Appstore and use 

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia 

to create a bootable USB stick. Add the stick to your VM, Boot into EFI setup and then select the USB stick.

Also, you should try to do a verbose boot (CMD V immediately after boot) to see any errors.

HTH

Using :

vmware 10.0.2 build-1744117

Unlocker 2.0.8

Win 7 Sp 1 - 32 Bit

I run this tool was faced with the following problem:

//==========================================================

© Dave Parsons 2011-15
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
VMware is installed at:
Stopping VMware services...
Backing up files...
File not found - vmware-vmx.exe
0 File(s) copied
File not found - vmware-vmx-debug.exe
0 File(s) copied
File not found - vmware-vmx-stats.exe
0 File(s) copied
File not found - vmwarebase.dll
0 File(s) copied
Patching...
This version of C:\Users\Saeed\Downloads\unlocker208(1)\unlocker208\unlocker.exe
 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your comput
er's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) v
ersion of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
Getting VMware Tools...
This version of C:\Users\Saeed\Downloads\unlocker208(1)\unlocker208\gettools.exe
 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your comput
er's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) v
ersion of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
File not found - darwin.*
0 File(s) copied
Starting VMware services...
Finished!

//======================================================

Please Help.

My guess would be that there is something wrong with your .iso file. There are no official .iso images distributed by Apple, so how did you create it?

If you have a working Mac, download the macOS Sierra Installer from Appstore and use 

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia 

to create a bootable USB stick. Add the stick to your VM, Boot into EFI setup and then select the USB stick.

Also, you should try to do a verbose boot (CMD V immediately after boot) to see any errors.

HTH

Hello and thanks for your assistance!

I used my MacBook Pro to download Sierra from the App Store, and then converted the .app to .iso using these instructions:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315967-how-to-create-a-bootable-sierra-iso-for-vmware/

The verbose boot does not appear to work with ESXi?  It's also not possible to boot from USB without a third party tool (i.e. Plop, which also does not seem to work well in my case).

I'm wondering if the root problem is that my ESXi is AMD-based?  It uses an AMD FX-6350 processor.  I've tried masking the CPUID in ESXi to present itself as Intel, but it doesn't appear to work?  There is also some mention of needing an AMD-specific kernel, but then it's no longer vanilla at that point?

Hello and thanks for your assistance!

I used my MacBook Pro to download Sierra from the App Store, and then converted the .app to .iso using these instructions:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315967-how-to-create-a-bootable-sierra-iso-for-vmware/

The verbose boot does not appear to work with ESXi?  It's also not possible to boot from USB without a third party tool (i.e. Plop, which also does not seem to work well in my case).

I'm wondering if the root problem is that my ESXi is AMD-based?  It uses an AMD FX-6350 processor.  I've tried masking the CPUID in ESXi to present itself as Intel, but it doesn't appear to work?  There is also some mention of needing an AMD-specific kernel, but then it's no longer vanilla at that point?

Yep - Apple do not support AMD CPUs in their kernel. You will need to find an AMD kernel here on the forums and modify your ISO.

I did work with someone on CPUID masks but also need to mask MSRs and the power management is different. We got it to boot but it wasn't stable. If you want to try it I can try and find the masks I used.