Imessage and facetime Public Beta 2

Agostino9446

126 posts in this topic

@arsradu,

You can go to this online calculator and if you input UEZdNpmp in the Base64 field, it converts to 50465D3699A9 in the hex field :).

@heryts has used the usual "hackintosh" practice of making the last 12 digits of his SmUUID the same as the mac address or ROM value.

ie SmUUID = 9DFF0000-3C12-0539-FFFF-50465D3699A9

and MLB as the System Serial + 5 characters

ie System Serial = C02K7438DRVC

MLB = C02K7438DRVCN1S5A

On a real mac,

• the last 12 digits of the Hardware ID/IOPlatformUUID or "SMUUID" have no relation to ethernet mac address
  • The "ROM value" is the firewire mac address with two middle bytes removed if present, otherwise it is the ethernet mac address
  • The "MLB" is the Main Logic Board Serial Number/dmi type 2
  • The IOPlatformSerialNumber corresponds to the "System Serial" number

The confusion comes from the defaults used by Clover when the ROM and MLB are not specified in the RT Variables section of config.plist...See dmazar's post @ProjectOSX for Clover r978.

"By default, if not specified in config.plist:
- MLB will be set to SMBIOS/SerialNumber 
<---later versions of Clover use Main Board Serial Number
- ROM will be set to last 6 bytes of SMBIOS UUID (or config.plist SMBIOS/SmUUID if specified); on some boards those last 6 bytes of UUID are ethernet MAC address - this is what we would like to insert"

PS If you enter his serial C02K7438DRVC into the Apple Self Serve website, it is a genuine system serial for a MBA :).

• Like 1

@arsradu,

You can go to this online calculator and if you input UEZdNpmp in the Base64 field, it converts to 50465D3699A9 in the hex field :).

@heryts has used the usual "hackintosh" practice of making the last 12 digits of his SmUUID the same as the mac address or ROM value.

MLB = C02K7438DRVCN1S5A

On a real mac,

• the last 12 digits of the Hardware ID/IOPlatformUUID or "SMUUID" have no relation to ethernet mac address
  • The "ROM value" is the firewire mac address with two middle bytes removed if present, otherwise it is the ethernet mac address

The confusion comes from the defaults used by Clover when the ROM and MLB are not specified in the RT Variables section of config.plist...See dmazar's post @ProjectOSX for Clover r978.

- MLB will be set to SMBIOS/SerialNumber  <---later versions of Clover use Main Board Serial Number

- ROM will be set to last 6 bytes of SMBIOS UUID (or config.plist SMBIOS/SmUUID if specified); on some boards those last 6 bytes of UUID are ethernet MAC address - this is what we would like to insert"

PS If you enter his serial C02K7438DRVC into the Apple Self Serve website, it is a genuine system serial for a MBA :).

On a real mac, does the MLB also correspond with the system serial (+5 chars) as mentioned above?

@arsradu,

MLB = C02K7438DRVCN1S5A

On a real mac,

- MLB will be set to SMBIOS/SerialNumber  <---later versions of Clover use Main Board Serial Number

Hey, man

Yep, now I understood where did that value come from. :)

This is still very confusing to me, though. Especially since there are values that look the same, but are not actually the same.

For example System Serial Number (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the one displayed in About This Mac section under Serial Number) and ROM. They are both 12 characters serials. But they're not the same. Anyway, thanks to you, it's slowly starting to make sense.

Now, question is: is there an online generator that generates valid mac serials?

@arsradu,

On my mac mini, the ROM value (as outputted from imessage_debug) is the same as the firewire mac address with the two middle bytes removed, MLB is the Main Logic Board serial.  "System Serial" is the serial for the machine as a whole and is completely different to MLB ie it does not comprise a part of the MLB on real Macs.

Have a look here.  Chameleon wizard, Clover configurator have serial "generators" but the problem is that these serials are not likely to be registered to anyone on Apple's servers (unless by pot luck it happens to actually correspond to someone's real Mac serial).

You can confirm your serial by entering it into the Apple Self Serve site and even see if there is any warranty left on your machine :hysterical:.

I think at present, the critical values they are checking are MLB & ROM and these must come from the same Mac and registered on Apple's servers...

• Like 2

Hi arsradu! Good to see you posting and helping others :).

I have seen @heryts post before and I commented in my guide that there was a risk that Apple would block his serials if too many people used them. The information in his post, however, is still valuable because the only way you can activate iMessage reliably (& login/logout, not attaching a credit card to your AppleID) is to use genuine serials from a real Mac (or Apple Support validated hackintosh).

It looks more and more like Apple are checking serials (esp MLB and ROM) and blocking users with invalid/suspicious values.

PS

@heryts post does contain an error for Clover users. The values to put into the RT variables section with Clover Configurator should be

MLB=C02K7438DRVCN1S5A

ROM=50465D3699A9 =ethernet/firewire mac address (not UEZdNpmp which is a BASE64 value to put in nvram.xxxxxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist if using Chameleon FileNVRAM module).

He has posted a second set of MLB & ROM where

MLB=11111111111111111

ROM=111111111111

I haven't tested them personally but other users did report them working at one stage....

I solved thanks to fusion7au...i used this posted a second set of MLB & ROM

Hey guys,

Same problem here. The weird thing is, it also affected my Mavericks installation (on the same computer but on a different drive). Does anyone else have the same issue? 

I found some information here (take a look at "Step 8: AppleID / Device UUID Lock-Out").

Man here no

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279451-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/

if your looking for a resolution, there is a very FAST one. under general in system Preferences uncheck 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices' then sign in (if you have not Fragged your account to the point of needing a level 2 unlock, AKA the 12 digit code) this will allow you to log back in.

after logging back into iMessages and FaceTime you can go back and re-enable the Handoff ability.  if it kicks again, just repeat the steps. having duel booted from mavericks and Yosemite and talking with Level 2 rep about what was causing the lockout, he suspected that the new framework authentication tokens were jamming the (ANTISPAM) part of the server as it was happening with legit macs as well as hacks if interested, here is the logs for the new service as it is trying to authenticate you.

8/24/14 8:11:00.053 PM lsuseractivityd[376]: PICKING: <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7fd3bbc130a0> F66AABD3-CC1F-428C-9E94-85BADF1AE16C com.apple.Messages/a32a9f48308fdcas the current item-to-advertise (current=<__NSConcreteUUID 0x7fd3bbe05310> 3E5792A4-27A2-4490-AC1C-3A9664B886C4 NSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWeb/4c183710a9fb20). (CornerActionManager.m #731)
8/24/14 8:11:00.053 PM lsuseractivityd[376]: -- Advertising new item or updating user-idle time in previous advertisement, <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7fd3bbc130a0> F66AABD3-CC1F-428C-9E94-85BADF1AE16C com.apple.Messages (CornerActionManager.m #1334)
8/24/14 8:11:00.053 PM lsuseractivityd[376]: ADVERTISING:a32a9f48308fdc00dd "F66AABD3-CC1F-428C-9E94-85BADF1AE16C" type=com.apple.Messages at 2014-08-25 03:11:00 +0000 opts=(null) (CornerActionManager.m #1397)

then after Stopping service it allowed me to log back in.

8/24/14 8:11:00.053 PM lsuseractivityd[376]: ADVERTISING:a32a9f48308fdc00dd "F66AABD3-CC1F-428C-9E94-85BADF1AE16C" type=com.apple.Messages at 2014-08-25 03:11:00 +0000 opts=(null) (CornerActionManager.m #1397)
8/24/14 8:11:00.053 PM sharingd[354]: 20:11:00.053 : Stopping Handoff advertising
8/24/14 8:11:00.282 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
8/24/14 8:11:00.296 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[54]: Session 100034 created
8/24/14 8:11:00.422 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[54]: Killing auth hosts
8/24/14 8:11:00.422 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[54]: Session 100032 destroyed
8/24/14 8:11:00.422 PM logind[69]: -[SessionManager getClient:withRole:inAuditSession:]:241: ERROR: No session dictionary for audit session 100034
8/24/14 8:11:00.423 PM logind[69]: _SMGetSessionAgent:73: ERROR: __SMGetClientForAuditSessionAgent failed 2
8/24/14 8:11:00.423 PM IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent[540]: SACShieldWindowShowing:925: ERROR: NULL response
8/24/14 8:11:09.481 PM lsuseractivityd[376]: -- Advertising new item or updating user-idle time in previous advertisement, <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7fd3bbc130a0> F66AABD3-CC1F-428C-9E94-85BADF1AE16C com.apple.Messages (CornerActionManager.m #1334)

if you don't have devices that are using iOS 8 (also in Beta), leave handoff disabled to relieve the issues.

HBP

• Like 2

For the ones not using English versions or not being native English speakers: could someone specify the "handoff" feature switch a bit more precisely?

Handoff is part of the Continuity feature (or rather set of features) that Apple introduced with Yosemite and iOS8. The term itself (hand-off) means allowing other parties to take over a certain activity or object. It literally means to hand off/give what you were doing to another device in order to continue the flow. In this case, it means allowing your other Apple devices (be it your iPhone, your iPad or iPod) to take over your activity and give you the possibility to continue what you were doing when switching devices. It allows for a better, more unified experience between Apple devices.

For example:

You are at work and you are in the middle of an important email that you started to write. But you need to go. So in order not to be late to whatever else you might need to be doing after work, you can continue that email, right from where you left off, from you iPhone, or any other iOS 8 compatible devices.

Another example, and I personally like this one a lot (though I won't be able to test it since I only got an iPod Touch 4G, which is not eligible for iOS 8, and also it doesn't have a GSM module anyway), is the ability to answer/make calls from your Mac. And I'm not talking internet calls. I'm talking voice calls, while your iPhone is in the other room.

So this is, in a few words, what Handoff and Continuity in general is all about. Unifying all compatible devices (for now only the ones running iOS 8 and Yosemite) for a more seamless and better experience. In my opinion, if this works as intended, and I think it will, this would be one of the best and most useful features that Apple implemented so far.

If you've got time and if you want more info on this, you can watch the whole keynote on YouTube.

It's pretty long so get yourself a bag of chips. :)

From the first DP I had the generated config Clover, everything worked perfectly. Then I generated a valid serial number and registered SMBIOS manually, RT Variables did not touch (MLB and ROM is not added). In the last DP from last week started having problems, an error "Your Appe ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time". Called in support of Apple, asked the Mac serial number and e-mail from Apple ID, all activated, it works. Call and do not be afraid, most importantly have a valid serial number Mac.

From the first DP I had the generated config Clover, everything worked perfectly. Then I generated a valid serial number and registered SMBIOS manually, RT Variables did not touch (MLB and ROM is not added). In the last DP from last week started having problems, an error "Your Appe ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time". Called in support of Apple, asked the Mac serial number and e-mail from Apple ID, all activated, it works. Call and do not be afraid, most importantly have a valid serial number Mac.

Maybe so, but the problem is that the system serial numbers that Clover Configurator generates, are fake. Not sure if all of them are fake or just some of them. But I know for sure that the ones I tried, are fake. For sure.

So first of all, as you said, you need a valid serial number that can pass this test. If it passes the test, then you have a valid serial number you can then use to pass on to the customer support team.

Second of all, in the SMBIOS or in the Rt Variables section, you still need a valid ROM (or SmUUID) and MLB value. I don't see how could iMessage work without those.

When you say "valid" serial I assume you mean one that works in the OS and not valid with Apple?

Has anyone got this working with Yosemite in a VM (Parallels)?

No. As I said, by valid I mean a system serial number that is recognized on Apple's side, as well.

And when you say "got this working"...you mean what? iMessage working in Parallels?

And may I ask, why would you virtualize Mac on a Mac? I suppose you're running Mavericks as host and Yosemite as guest, right? Why don't you install Yosemite on another partition and get all the problems solved?

It might work with Parallels 10...but, again, why would you do that? It's more complicated this way, in my opinion.

Hey Dan, sorry for not returning your last mail :'(

A valid number is one that can be seen by selfsolve page as a number that either hadn't been registered with Apple or has had a valid purchase date tied to it. If the number is invalid according to the selfsolve page, then integrity of the structure is wrong.

Maybe so, but the problem is that the system serial numbers that Clover Configurator generates, are fake. Not sure if all of them are fake or just some of them. But I know for sure that the ones I tried, are fake. For sure.

Yes, it is. But the serial number is easy to generate in Clover Configurator or Chameleon Wizard, of course have to spend more time. I spent 10 minutes to generate a  2 valid serial numbers, 1 in Configurator, 1 in Wizard. Try more.

Second of all, in the SMBIOS or in the Rt Variables section, you still need a valid ROM (or SmUUID) and MLB value. I don't see how could iMessage work without those.

Don't know how, but it works for me. After a call to support and activation, iMessage and FaceTime works perfectly.

P.S. Often the problem happens on the part of Apple remotely.

• Like 1

For the ones not using English versions or not being native English speakers: could someone specify the "handoff" feature switch a bit more precisely?

the 'Handoff' feature is the second to the last check box on the General tab of the System Preferences.

See included Picture.

HBP

Handoff.tiff

I generated valid serial number (checked with self solve) with Clover configurator. Then call Apple Support and they unlocked my iMessage and FaceTime.

Any details on that, for other users? Did you need to specify the serial number and the Apple ID and that's it? Did you mention you're running a hackintosh? Did they ask? What exactly did you tell them?

Also, did you fill in any hardware information, such as ROM/ MLB/ SmUUID in Clover? Could you upload your Clover's config.plist?

I told them that I have MacPro (generated serial was form clover ccongifurator which is checked with selfsolve.)

They asked me for serial number of machine. After checking they asked me my apple ID and OS X version. First I tell them for 10.10 beta 2. They refuse to help me because the dont support beta products. Then I told them that I have Maverics on other SSD. They accept that an ask me what is the problem. I explained the problem with connection with imessage and facetime. Then they asked me for generated Apple support code (displayed after refused activation). After 10 seconds they asked me to try sign on again. And imessages activates without problem. They told me that my ID is unlocked for my computer. Facetime works too!

They didn't ask me anything about hackintosh.

About Clover configuration:

I have change rom and mlb to 11111.... (Few posts up) in rt variables. SmuUUID is still empty in clover configurator SMBios tab. Still cannot connect. After that I called Apple support.

I tried every solution before but nothing works. probably my ID was locked because many different tries.(different smbios, ROM versions etc.

Apple support is very kind and cooperative with lots of patient :)