43 replies to this topic

MARKBOARD NETSET

MARKBOARD NETSET

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Luck for Hack

NO I don't  agree your petition is aberration ! 

We here are to hack OS X to run on PCs for the sake of our personal use only. That's it and That's all !

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

I have created a petition on change.org for Mac OS X on PC. You might think that Apple would not do that but think again.

I don't have to think again, it's quite obvious why they will never do that.

OS X is free now. They are giving it away. But Apple wouldn't want to support the near-infinite number of possible PC hardware configurations...for free.

Anyone running OS X on a PC is not entitled to support of any kind. We can't ask Apple for anything and we're lucky that it works at all.

Many of us enter into their ecosystem, ie, pay for apps from the app store, pay for stuff on iTunes. Apple benefits from this. We're their consumers, but we have no rights, we can't complain and we can't ask for support.

Your internet browser shows what OS you're running. So, on the internet, all of us appear as if we were using a Mac. This looks great in the statistics and it doesn't cost Apple a single dime.

If I was running a business, that would be my favorite kind of consumer.

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,143 posts

If Apple would Open Source some of their older OS X, e.g Tiger etc, that would be the cream on the "Apple" Pie, one that I would like a "Slice" of...

iWin32

iWin32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

If Apple would Open Source some of their older OS X, e.g Tiger etc, that would be the cream on the "Apple" Pie, one that I would like a "Slice" of...

Unlikely; the closest old thing to free Mac OS released by Apple is System 7, which is NOT open source.  It is still closed source (as seen in the italicized part):

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

What makes open source software "FREE software" is more so equal to free speech than free beer.  Here, it's just the opposite: Mac OS 7 downloads are free as in free beer, but not free as in free speech.

(Quote source: https://web.archive....ml?artnum=26275)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy