[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

I don't think MBR would cause ram issues, but I if you're not having issues with my instructions then it's always possible.  I know you should be having plenty of installation issues unless you apply the Mavericks MBR patch.  I would be curious to see if you have the same ram issue if you switch to GUID.

@phiber - 10.9.1 Should work fine since I was able to update to it without issue.

@fusion - good point, I forgot he used my DSDT and still had the RAM issue.

@druvix - fusion is correct, the installer only uses fakesmc and voodooPS2 kexts, your installed system needs to have all the kexts I listed except the voodooPS2.

it works...it works..IT WORKS :))))))

reinstalled everything...started from scratch..installed on mbr disk...and...IT WORKS...dont get me wrong but i love you guys <3 hahaha

now even bluetooth works without darwinx bluetooth kexts..i only used xangels guide kexts...dont know why..dont want to know why but...It works with 4gb hahahaha.im so happy now

• Like 1

Mine is now working apart from the wifi,   I've got the Broadcom BCM94312MCG.   I did try to use an airport card I pulled from a faulty Mac mini I brought but it doesn't detect this either.   going to try and find some kext files to get this card working :) 

Great guide Xangel,  If it can guide me Im sure everyone can use it! lol

ok so I have gotten as far as starting to format the harddrive when the installation locks up and I am forced to reboot. I installed the everything as stated to do buy I am unable to start the computer with flags there is no boot loader screen it just goes straight to the installer. I don't know if I did something wrong or not. 

@Phiber - Keep hitting F8 right after the Dell screen until you are able to type and use -v -f boot flags and see if that helps.

@druvix - Awesomeness.  Your Apple branded wifi card should work OOB, not sure why it wouldn't.  Do you know the model number of the card?? 

For the BCM94312MCG, if you haven't found it already, try the attached kext I pilfered from another thread.  Might not work, but always worth a shot.  Make sure you back up your current IO80211Family.kext first.  Make sure after you add the kext to the extensions folder, you rebuild the extensions.mkext using the kext wizard and put it in the startup folder.

BCM4312 Fix.zip

i installed my new mavericks os with the boot.chameleon flag -ethernet built in...and now my broadcom ethernet is not recognized..i installed xangel broadcom kext that worked before...permissions and cache...did everything...is there some way to force kext to load or to see if it loaded..or maybe delete network prefs somewhere?

@mirko888, you need to add max_valid_dma_addr=1024 to kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist as described here.

Edit: Like this

<key>Kernel Flags</key>      
<string>darkwake=0 max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>

You can use the kextstat command in terminal to determine which kexts are loaded as I suggested in post#45.

Don't forget to boot with -v -f to make sure all kexts are loaded.

To load a kext manually, use kextload command in terminal:

kextload AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext
  • Like 1

should my boot.plist look like

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>      
<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>
or
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>
thanks

EDIT :

i did what you said but still nothing...kext isn't loaded at all...i checked with kextstat command you said...is there a way to load it manually?
Edited by mirko888

@Druvix can you please post what you did to fix everything and get up in running in order so that I can follow your lead I am stuck on the load up and crashing the same way you were with the HPET I will be trying again today after I finish classes. Thanks for everyone that has been helping on this I greatly appreciate everything you all have done.

Hi,

First excuse my english, i'm french... i try to install mavericks on my 1720 laptop but i'have a problem to install. i think the problem is from my dsdt file. I try to patch it but visibly i'm not good ;)

I link the screenshoot of my install and my original dsdt file, can you patch it for me ? thanks a lot for your help

DSDT.aml.zip

post-1291049-0-77910700-1390918998_thumb.jpg

there was a problem..info.plist missing in my kext???...anyways redownloading(tried reinstalling many times before) kext helped and it works...i will try to not have any more problems at least for a day or two  :) thank you guys (pm me your address ill send you guys a beer lol)

@chris

what are your specs?you can use mine dsdt if you have t7500(2,2ghz) cpu and 8600m gt graphics

EDIT:

also make sure your bios is set to ahci,and that you have disabled speedstep,dynamic acceleration and virtualization

@fusion

Does new chameleon boot flag option -CST Using SystemIO(New C-State _CST generation method using SystemIO registers instead of FixedHW) helps to make our dell cpus get c states? 

Edited by mirko888

there was a problem..info.plist missing in my kext???...anyways redownloading(tried reinstalling many times before) kext helped and it works...i will try to not have any more problems at least for a day or two  :) thank you guys (pm me your address ill send you guys a beer lol)

@chris

what are your specs?you can use mine dsdt if you have t7500(2,2ghz) cpu and 8600m gt graphics

@fusion

Does new chameleon boot flag option -CST Using SystemIO(New C-State _CST generation method using SystemIO registers instead of FixedHW) helps to make our dell cpus get c states? 

Thanks for your help ;) my 1720 have a 1.83ghz cpu, i try now but i think your dsdt dont work for me ;)en

I think that dont work, when i've grey screen with the apple, the cursor freeze...

Edited by chris7659

@Xangel - The card I have is an AR5BX86,  I don't know if it works as tried booting into Win7 with it installed it doesn't detect it either.   Used that kext you posted, with my BCM card,   Detects and can connect to an unlocked network only.   I think I've read about this problem somewhere on google already.   might be quicker for me to go steal the WIFI card from my girlfriends iMac :P  

@phiber -  Well with me I thought the problem I was having was with my Ram module as after I played with this it worked.   I followed the guide as is written but I had to boot with flags -v -f -x,   Disabled Virt in bios.  Left Speedstep and Dynamic accelertion enabled.    Sorry I can't be of anymore help but I didn't really know what I was doing half the time.    one thing I did have to do was reinstall Chameleon boot loader as I couldn't get to the screen to put in boot flags (-v -f etc) 

Is anybody else's a little laggy at times? as it it seems to take a while to open things for the first time?    Please tell me if Im just been fussy :P

I've got a small pile of wireless cards here,  none of them work lol.   got 2 bcm94's an intel WM39 and a official Apple one.  

no its fine I'm In the Uk so postage would be a little steep I would think,  Thanks for the offer tho :)

@fusion

Unfortunately no.  You will still see the c-states error on bootup even with that chameleon option.

To confirm whether you have c-states in OSX 10.6.8 and LION/ML/Mavericks, type in terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep AICPMVers

and see if there is any output - no output = no c-states :(

@chris7659,

Try this DSDT I've patched from the native DSDT you uploaded----> place in /Extra of your installer.

Chris7659DSDTedit.zip

Well,  I stole my girlfriends iMac airport card and guess what still doesn't work!   I put back my backup IO80211Family.kext using the wizard and still nothing.   I'm starting to think the WIFI is against me lol.   

@druvix - keep messing with your girlfriend's Mac and she might break up with you....lol.  Which slot in the computer are you putting the Wi-Fi cards in?  I know one of them will not work for Wi-Fi.  It's really strange that even an Apple branded card won't work.  I am using an HP card that I rebranded to Apple using Linux and I get full speed and airdrop working OOB.  Did you try loading Windows with your girlfriend's card?  I'm curious to see if it works there.  Also, every time you switch out the kexts, are you rebuilding the mkext and using -f at startup? 

You should also be able to leave virtualization on.  Turning off the Dynamic acceleration should somewhat fix your loading issues since dynamic acceleration makes your processor not run at full speed when under load (you lose like 10% of your speed).