[GUIDE] Mountain Lion 10.8.3 on HP Sleekbook 15t (HM77, Ivy Bridge)

alixzibit

18 posts in this topic

I have noticed that there not many guides out there for installing Mountain Lion on Intel HM 77 chipset laptops. So I thought of sharing my experience on Installing ML on my HP Sleekbook 15t (b001-ee).

Hardware Specs:

BIOS Manufacturer: Insyde. BIOS Type: UEFI - LOCKED (with support for legacy boot)

Core i3 3217U @ 1.8 Ghz (2 Cores, 4 threads)

4GB Samsung DDR3 1600

RAID 500 GB HDD

IDT High Definition Audio

Atheros Bluetooth (Device ID: 0311f)

Atheros AR9565

NVIDIA OPTIMUS (Geforce GT 630m - PCIe + Intel HD 4000 - Built In)

Realtek RTL 8101E/8102E Ethernet

What Works?

Proper Detection Of CPU, RAM

USB 2.0 and 3.0

Ethernet (recognized as RTL 8169)

Intel HD 4000 Graphics (Quartz Extreme and Core Image Enabled)

Bluetooth

Trackpad

IDT High Definition Audio (recognized as Intel HDA)

Battery

What does not work?

NVIDIA Optimus

Brightness keys (works only at boot)

WIFI - Im using a micro Wifi USB from a manufacturer called 'Tenda' it uses Realtek RT2870 USB chip, this same chip is found on the more popular WIFI stick from D-Link (DWA-125). Latest drivers are readily available from the realtek website, I got usb from a shop near my place for $10, it might be even more cheaper online

Booting OSx without USB - I need myself some guidance, because I have tried using clover to boot but it does not work at all unfortunately

Installation:

What do you need:

> A Mac or a computer with Mac OSx 10.6.8 or Higher (a Virtual Machine is fine too, I installed using a VMware image of 10.8.3, google souldevteam for more details)

> 8 GB USB

> Retail DVD or copy of Mountain Lion

What does Mac OSx need to prepare USB ML Installer?

> Latest version of myHack app - myHack | Taking the iFail out of iHack - SojuGarden

> Latest version of Chameleon Wizard -Hackintosh Chameleon Wizard 4.2.1 - Downloads - OSx86.net

>Kext Wizard - Hackintosh Kext Wizard 3.7.10 - Downloads - OSx86.net

What does the target laptop needs to be running?

>The computer should already be running a windows OS at least with windows running on separate partition (It should se a GUID partition) OR a separate Hard Disk (recommended)

> Windows OS should have MacDrive installed (trial version will do fine)

Preparing ML USB:

>Mount USB

>Run myHack app, run "Create Mac Osx Installer" choose 10.8, select target your mounted USB now browse through the computer and select the Mountain Lion dmg/iso (InstallESD) or if its an app browse to your applications folder to find the installer. The copying process may take around 40 mins. The app may also ask to create Extra folder, just select generic

>After the process is done, install extensions which I have attached using kext wizard on the USB choosing S/L/E folder to install. Delete Browse to S/L/E on the usb and delete AppleHDA kext, Repair permissions and rebuild caches using the same app.

P.S. I didn't have a problem with getting my internal drives detected by the installer, but if you do come across a similar issue download the AHCI kexts I have attached and install along with the extensions files mentioned earlier.

UPDATE: Added alternate AHCI and USB kext (which works for HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1151er) - credit transmist

>Launch Chameleon Wizard, install latest bootloader to your ML USB, select boothfs option not update.

>In Chameleon Wizard app, goto Smbios tab, edit the smbios file and from the model presets choose Macbook Pro 9.2 and save the file to desktop

>Copy smbios file from desktop and paste it to your Extra folder on your ML USB.

Installing on target laptop

>Go to BIOS, disable secure boot it might ask you for password. Enable Legacy Boot. Configure Boot Order to prioritize USB. Or using F9 key at boot which will allow you to choose USB

>Boot from usb

>Once at the bootloader screen, boot the installer using the following flags

-v cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No

>You should now be at the install screen

>Goto disk utility and create GPT/GUID partition

>Continue and install Mac OSx. Should take 15-20 mins

>Near the end of installation myHack will ask for adding Extra folder again, install generic if you had not done this before or this time just choose the one you modified earlier in your USB, then later it will ask for removal of some kexts (ApplePolicyControl, NVD*** kexts) just select to remove them.

>Once its done, restart and now boot into windows and access the ML drive where you just installed the OSx (as mentioned earlier, you should have MacDrive to view OSx drives)

>Browse to System/Library/Extensions folder and delete the following kexts:

AppleHDA, all AppleIntelHDGraphics4000 kexts, geforce kext, all GF*** kexts, all NVD*** kexts

>Restart and boot from USB

>Launch the installer again using the same boot flags as mentioned earlier

>From Utilities run myHack and then run Myfix. This will fix permissions from the files you deleted using windows

>Restart again and boot from USB

>Now boot the Mac Osx drive, using same boot flags

>If all went accordingly you should now have successfully booted to your Mountain Lion

Post-Installation

For this part you need to download the following:

>10.8.3 Combo update OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo) - Support - Apple

>Multi beest - Mountain Lion (http://www.tonymacx8...m/downloads.php - You need to be registered user to download)

>Kernel Patch to fix all cores (cpus=1 issue) (check attachments)

>Ethernet driver (check attachments)

Your current Mountain Lion version is 10.8 download 10.8.3 Combo update from Apple website and install. DO NOT click restart just yet though.

>Browse to System/Library/Extensions folder and delete the following kexts:

AppleHDA, geforce kext, all GF*** kexts, all NVD*** kexts

>Install the extensions that I provided again using Kext Wizard

>Run Multi-beest, Expand Drivers & Bootloader>Misc> and select USB 3.0 Universal and PS/2 and install

>Install Ethernet driver RTGNIC

>Install Kernel Patch

>Fix permissions using kext wizard and restart

>Boot from USB

>Now you can boot into your ML without any boot flags, you may use -v for debug or -f or -x if for some reason it fails to boot

Latest version of chameleon bootloader will auto inject your HD 4000 graphics info and you should have QE/CI working

Pls do share your experiences and help improve this guide for others

THANKS! Hope I had helped you!

Attachment Links

New Extensions zip: (UPDATED)

https://mega.co.nz/#...mTxRvbGRstPHOZI

RTGNIC:

https://mega.co.nz/#...QOYiJwSLBdRki7w

Kernel Patch Installer:

https://mega.co.nz/#...HpmpYYlB6oWhXAI

Alternate AHCI and USB kexts

https://mega.co.nz/#...aWPVRSpM3Sw_D4g

AHCI.zip

• Like 2

Can you please to instruct how to apply the kernel patch to fix all cores (cpus=1 issue) you mentioned?

You have to use a bit of terminal commands to get the mach_kernel working. No worries luckily I found an easier way. Just download the kernel patch installer from the links section and install

• Like 1

Followed your guide closely and this is where I stuck:

28cf824acc7a.jpg

The laptop is HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1151er. A USB drive is in the USB 2.0 port. Don't I need to use AppleAHCIPort.kext to avoid this issue?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with AHCI port. Usually even if your RAID drive is not compatible the installer will still load and then you won't be able to see any drives from the disk utility. This is assuming that you are still stuck at that stage

you can try these AHCI kexts that I have further attached in the guide, there are from my system. But I believe this issue has got to do with PXHCD.kext (USB driver)

Did you try booting with '-f' with/or '-x' ?

EDIT: Pls check your inbox

Resume: AHCI kexts you provided didn't worked for my model, I didn't got to the installer's welcome screen without GenericUSBXHCI.kext and installer didn't detected my HDD without modified AppleAHCIPort.kext. So, I think it may be handy to attach them to this post. Again, my laptop model is HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1151er, so these may not work for yours. You can download both files here.

Resume: AHCI kexts you provided didn't worked for my model, I didn't got to the installer's welcome screen without GenericUSBXHCI.kext and installer didn't detected my HDD without modified AppleAHCIPort.kext. So, I think it may be handy to attach them to this post. Again, my laptop model is HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1151er, so these may not work for yours. You can download both files here.

So you are saying that the kext which I provided didnt work for your laptop but you found other working kexts? And now you are able to boot to your installer?

If thats case Ill gladly edit my guide and add your links

So you are saying that the kext which I provided didnt work for your laptop but you found other working kexts? And now you are able to boot to your installer?

If thats case Ill gladly edit my guide and add your links

Yep, kexts I provided works at least for HP 6-1151er. I am installing the OS X right now, will report later.

• Like 1

Yep, kexts I provided works at least for HP 6-1151er. I am installing the OS X right now, will report later.

For some reason, these 2 kexts don't works with a bunch of kexts, provided by you, installation breaks in almost the end. I managed to finish the installation with just these 2 kexts earlier, but not sure if it's proper.

I will investigate this issue later.

Struggling with installed Mac OS X right now. Have updated to 10.8.2 (cannot to 10.8.3 because of non-existing modified AppleAHCIPort.kext for it). Audio seems working, thanks to AppleHDADisabler.kext and VoodooHDA.kext. Initially I was forced to disable Virtualization Technology in BIOS, otherwise 10.8.2 hanged during boot. This setting was on when I ran 10.8. But with the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext you provided this issue resolved. Now virtualization is on again.

Will try another kexts you suggest.

For what purpose two battery kexts are included? I mean VoodooBattery.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. Aren't they doing the same job? Also, I read that before applying of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext you need to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from inside of /Extra/Extensions. Also installation of IOUSBFamily.kext requires deletion of existing IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.These was created by myHack installer. I think, you may add this to guide.

Hum maybe someone can help me, i have the same computer as you but with a few changes, HDD 300GB and wireless card mine is ralink which as no support in osx.

well i used iatkos ml2 (10.8.2) to install and i have everything running fine (i do also boot without usb, no wireless).

My big problem is HD4000, i deleted the kexts ( iatkos does that in the instalation if you choose to), after some search in this forum i found this post " http://www.insanelym...ge__hl__ hd4000 " i installed the Enoch bootloader and tried the HD4K-ig = *

but it doesnt seem to work. even though in the System information it detects the built in display with 64mb's.

what can i do more and any more information i can post here to help find a solution? do i really need to do the combo update to 10.8.3?7

EDIT:

Ok got the HD4000 working using HD4K-ig = 3 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, i dont know if i have QE/CI.

And to boot without USB i copied from the extension folder you provided the Voodoo* , IO* ,FakeSMC and AppleACPI* kexts and its working all ok ( no wireless since its not compatible at all). Thanks for your guide

• 2 years later...

thanks so much for this. It helped me with my Sleekbook 14, same chipset and processor. However, I can't get the battery status to show up. I tried installing VoodooBattery and it's two accompanying kexts, but when I go to power management and click 'show battery status' the icon flashes on the taskbar, and then dissapaears, and the box unticks itself. Any ideas?

I also can't get USB 3.0 to work, only the left hand side USB 2.0 port. :)