43 posts in this topic

Do you know exactly which parts to get for your machine? Working on a budget? How do you know if your parts will work with OS X with minimal fuss? This thread is dedicated to helping you with your purchasing requirements! Here's how it works. RampageDev has kindly put together a pricing guide from NewEgg for three rigs at three approximate price points: Baseline, Deluxe, Ultra, and Killer.

Baseline gets you a powerful rig, suitable for nearly everything you'll ever need to do on your hackintosh for day-to-day useage. Deluxe gets you more performance, and Ultra gets you into the maxed out, the top-of-the-line, and nearly all the bells-and-whistles territory. And last, but certainly not least, Killer gets you everything you could want - minus the kitchen sink!

These rigs are nearly hassle free, or at least as close as you can get with OSX on PC components. Feedback is, of course, always welcome!

BASELINE:

Baseline2.PNG

Baseline2.pdf

DELUXE:

Deluxe.PNG

Deluxe.pdf

ULTRA:

Ultra.PNG

Ultra.pdf

KILLER:

Coming Soon!

as one final note: pricing will vary by many factors, with the most volatile of those being storage devices and RAM. These are guides and not price quotes. You may find your prices to be slightly higher or slightly lower, but each price point will remain CLOSE to their targets.

• Like 13

Pricing will also vary by country :)

I pay more in Belgium than what is listed (a side note)

Performance gets you more um.

Should be Deluxe i think.

Thanks for putting this together, waiting for the Ultra version, still need a desktop

:)

Great idea, especially if it gets updated regularly. We always needed something like this. Kudos!

When major releases come along is when I was planning on updates, like new GPUs and new chipsets. Also, planning periodic updates for price as well. Once the other two levels are compleete, then I'll post in the new users forum a link to this thread - hopefully it'll reduce some on the repeat questions of "what's a good build for a hackintosh?"

And full credit to RampageDev for knowing more than just about anybody else I know about what qualifies as a 'compatible-as-can-be' parts list.

Should be Deluxe i think.

ooops! fixed!

• Like 1

Definitely cool to see this pop up. I think once it is complete, we should get it up on the news feed - definitely something that will bring in a lot of people via Google.

I say add an x79 - simply because it's still quite a popular platform!

• Like 1

Definitely cool to see this pop up. I think once it is complete, we should get it up on the news feed - definitely something that will bring in a lot of people via Google.

I say add an x79 - simply because it's still quite a popular platform!

We are working on it....

• Like 1

CASE: Silverstone TJ07.Radiators: one thumochill 240mm one one EK 240mm.Lights: Phobya Red LED Flexlight (60cm) PUMP: D5 655.RES: OnePhobya Balancer.MOTHERBOARD :Asus x79 Sabertooth. (MB-ASSTX79 Koolance Waterblock) CPU BLOCK: EK.CPU: Intel 3930K(watercooled ) .PSU: Corsair AX850.MEMORY: 32gig Corsair (1600).GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GEFORCE GTX670.(Watercooled).Hard Drives: WDC 1500AHFD.WDC WD1500AHFD.SSD: Two Corsair 120 Sata 3. 566:Sound M-Audio 2496 pci Card.. A1181 Bluetooth card soldered to usb cable.Ssd1:Mountain Lion.10.8.3 Ssd2: windows7 64.

THIS IS THE x79 OOOO MY WALLETS HURTS BUILD :angel_not:

• Like 1

CASE: Silverstone TJ07.Radiators: one thumochill 240mm one one EK 240mm.Lights: Phobya Red LED Flexlight (60cm) PUMP: D5 655.RES: OnePhobya Balancer.MOTHERBOARD :Asus x79 Sabertooth. (MB-ASSTX79 Koolance Waterblock) CPU BLOCK: EK.CPU: Intel 3930K(watercooled ) .PSU: Corsair AX850.MEMORY: 32gig Corsair (1600).GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GEFORCE GTX670.(Watercooled).Hard Drives: WDC 1500AHFD.WDC WD1500AHFD.SSD: Two Corsair 120 Sata 3. 566:Sound M-Audio 2496 pci Card.. A1181 Bluetooth card soldered to usb cable.Ssd1:Mountain Lion.10.8.3 Ssd2: windows7 64.

THIS IS THE x79 OOOO MY WALLETS HURTS BUILD :angel_not:

Your wallet hurts... lol

• Like 1

Deluxe option updated!

I see a big problem in the deluxe version havent checked the base yet. The Corsair builder series CX500 I would completely stay away from that psu. Google for Corsair and builder series and see what people say.

I bought the Corsair CX600 and it has caused me so much problems its not even funny. Im still picking up the pieces trying to get back where I was before it started mess with me.

On top of everything if Im unlucky Im also gonna to have replace my Sapphire pro 10 i/o soundcard cause of this psu, looks like it broke.

I see a big problem in the deluxe version havent checked the base yet. The Corsair builder series CX500 I would completely stay away from that psu. Google for Corsair and builder series and see what people say.

I bought the Corsair CX600 and it has caused me so much problems its not even funny. Im still picking up the pieces trying to get back where I was before it started mess with me.

On top of everything if Im unlucky Im also gonna to have replace my Sapphire pro 10 i/o soundcard cause of this psu, looks like it broke.

I have used 430, 500 and 600 builder series for many years and have personally handed about 300 of them. Only had 2 DOA and none with issues at all. Currently I own a 430 (Running for 3 years) and a 600 (Running for 1 year) and have 0 issues. Also if you are going to claim that a product has a issue then please state what the issue was instead of making unfounded statements. It would help to know what the issue was.

• Like 1

Please google for info about it like I said above its no news they are not the same quality any longer. Specially the builders series seem to suck. In my case it has caused me so much problems its not even funny so I dont care how many you sold through out the years I will say this anyway. Kick me from here I dont care but please dont tell people they are a good choice cause they are not.

Edit:

And yes I did check the reviews out after it broke. Who knows maby they sell other versions of it in some countrys but in Sweden where I live in that case they must have shipped a whole bunch of them that computer builders had problems with. These that said this are no computer newbies I tell you and from what I read it looks like Corsair change over to some other company for building these cheaper psus and then it was downhill.

So heres what happen to me:

I bought new hardware in the fall last year including this psu. The mobo is a GA Z77-DS3H and I have a i7 3770k cpu in it. The videocard is a Sapphire 5750.

The computer worked like a freaking Ferarri but all of a sudden over night it wouldnt start and I couldnt even get to the Bios/UEFI screen without replacing my videocard. It would still not boot up without going for safe mode but still it booted up. The videocard did work in another computer. It was very confusing for sure for a while before I realized it was the psu that was broke not the videocard.

I donht think this info would make any difference but Ok I gave it to you so do what you want with it but please dont recommend this type of psu.

Please google for info about it like I said above its no news they are not the same quality any longer. Specially the builders series seem to suck. In my case it has caused me so much problems its not even funny so I dont care how many you sold through out the years I will say this anyway. Kick me from here I dont care but please dont tell people they are a good choice cause they are not.

Edit:

And yes I did check the reviews out after it broke. Who knows maby they sell other versions of it in some countrys but in Sweden where I live in that case they must have shipped a whole bunch of them that computer builders had problems with. These that said this are no computer newbies I tell you and from what I read it looks like Corsair change over to some other company for building these cheaper psus and then it was downhill.

I bought new hardware in the fall last year including this psu. The mobo is a GA Z77-DS3H and I have a i7 3770k cpu in it. The videocard is a Sapphire 5750.

The computer worked like a freaking Ferarri but all of a sudden over night it wouldnt start and I couldnt even get to the Bios/UEFI screen without replacing my videocard. It would still not boot up without going for safe mode but still it booted up. The videocard did work in another computer. It was very confusing for sure for a while before I realized it was the psu that was broke not the videocard.

I donht think this info would make any difference but Ok I gave it to you so do what you want with it but please dont recommend this type of psu.

So the 6/8 pin was not providing enough power. Corsair PSU are Sea Sonic power supplies that are rebranded and are sold at the same price as the Sea Sonic Model. I am not trying to offend you I just want you to post the issue you say they have and you still have not provided a valid link.

Mr.D., I think the Corsair XMS RAM on the baseline build is not appropriate for an Ivy Bridge system. Its voltage is 1.65v, and for Ivy or Sandy motherboards it is preferred 1.5v or 1.35v.

Also from the motherboard's specification:

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory

I believe this kit is better for that build.

Mr.D., I think the Corsair XMS RAM on the baseline build is not appropriate for an Ivy Bridge system. Its voltage is 1.65v, and for Ivy or Sandy motherboards it is preferred 1.5v or 1.35v.

Also from the motherboard's specification:

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory

I believe this kit is better for that build.

1.65v is Intel's max voltage spec but we will change this.

So the 6/8 pin was not providing enough power. Corsair PSU are Sea Sonic power supplies that are rebranded and are sold at the same price as the Sea Sonic Model. I am not trying to offend you I just want you to post the issue you say they have and you still have not provided a valid link.

What do you mean a valid link? A link to somplace wher they specify technical info for this psu? You dont know neither do I that it was that problem could be anything in the bootup process. If they print 600 wats and Corsair on the box I at least before this happen would have said thats a good one safe to buy.

Just change your recommendations for psu please got be lots and lots of psus out there.

What do you mean a valid link? A link to somplace wher they specify technical info for this psu? You dont know neither do I that it was that problem could be anything in the bootup process. If they print 600 wats and Corsair on the box I at least before this happen would have said thats a good one safe to buy.

Just change your recommendations for psu please got be lots and lots of psus out there.

A valid link to were other people are reporting issues. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

A valid link to were other people are reporting issues. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

No, google is your friend in situations like this. Besides that the company I bought it from replaced it just like that, got the text today saying its on its way in the mail. One do wonder why they do that without further investigations.

Well that psu stays in the box I aint taking no chanses, Im gonna give it away for free but with a big warming sign on saying use this on your own risk.

I will not speak more in this thread though.

Edit:

OK - so as I understand it, you had an issue with this PSU. And you found others with issues with this PSU. I think describing this as a 'big problem' is a bit overkill. It's a potential issue. A big problem would be, for example, recommending an A6 CPU with a z77 motherboard - that would be big.

So you state that you dont know, nor can somebody else know 'that it was that problem'. So now we aren't even sure if its an 'issue'. And you want recommendations changed based off a possibility that it might be an issue that you may or may not have had? I want to stress the word RECOMMENDATION here, because that is what this is. A guide, a recommendation, a suggestion, synonym, synonym, synonym.

Just as a side note, the CX500m was just reviewed in Computer Power User Magazine as a '... good option to get good value for a budget system. It has all the features necessary to provide reliability for years to come..."

This is where it should have ended. RPD made a good faith effort to discuss this with you w/o arguing in the thread. No need to go for the 'last word'. If you have something further to discuss about this, with either RPD or myself, please PM us.

Now with regards to Google being my friend, this is the result I came up with when searching for 'Google is my Friend'. I can find anything on the internet. I can find lots of links to lots of people that love or hate various things. I personally hate Epson printers. I'll never buy one again. I have told a few people to stay away from them. However, I have owned ONE Epson printer. Did I get a janky one? maybe. Are all of them {censored}? Maybe, maybe not - my testing has been limited to ONE printer. When RPD asked for links, he didn't mean just any Google search links, he meant actual links with actual content from people who had actual problems with their PSUs and did actual troubleshooting. Telling people to Google something that generic is like telling someone to Google 'soup is hot'.

-------------------------------moving on----------------------------------

1.65v is Intel's max voltage spec but we will change this.

Changed!

• Like 3

Nice posts, can't wait to see the rest of the configurations. I like shopping through Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect. I try to shop around for the best price. I'm glad I have Amazon Prime.. that pays for itself; free 2-day shipping.

The great part about living in South Florida other than the Miami Heat is the fact that TigerDirect is based here, and the prices for their stuff beats out many of the other places. I rather pay a small 6% sales tax and have it now, than pay about 5% in shipping and wait a week (or two).

Mr. D, wouldn't be better to recommend the Z77-DS3H (full ATX) instead of the Z77MX-D3H (mATX) for the Deluxe build? The D3H has Via sound, which doesn't compare favorably to the RLT 887 that comes with the DS3H under OSX (there's a lack of easy AppleHDA solutions for the Via VT2021, which in most cases ends up working with VoodooHDA, while patching AppleHDA for ALC887 has been trivial for years now).

All the best, and keep these builds coming!

Interesting... I'll bring this up with RPD and go from there. Thanks!

----------EDIT:----------

From Rampage Dev himself on the board choice:

I have used that MB before and I have a patched AppleHDA and DSDT for it and it works wonderfully. Bad idea to use such a old ALC and all the other boards at that price point only have 3 pin audio and not 6 pin. Board works flawlessly.

Also, see his reply below.