[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (upgraded from 10.8.4 via the combo update) on my Asus X52F on a spare desktop hard drive with a USB to SATA adaptor. This machine has an Intel Core i3-380M, which is an Arrandale, and a 1366x768 panel. It uses the LVDS connection according to Ubuntu. I spent all day trying to get the graphics working with this guide. I tried every frame buffer (VGA+LCD LW 1-4 in Normal, Alternative and Alternative 2) and none of them work for me. All of them result in a scrambled screen when I get to the desktop. See the picture below. This is very frustrating and I really want this to work. Is there any other frame buffer files I can try? 

DSCF8002.jpg

Sega Dude, have you tried natit.kext or DSDT injection? Because "AAPL,os-info" is required to works with the patched FrameBuffer.

I tried Natit but I still get the scrambled screen. I don't think DSDT Injection will work since Natit essentially does the same thing. When booting up in verbose mode, it says something about how it cannot alloc the IntelHDGraphicsFB class. It scrolls up too fast to read the full message. I am using Kext Wizard to install the frame buffer kext, maybe it has something to do with Kext Wizard?

I tried Natit but I still get the scrambled screen. I don't think DSDT Injection will work since Natit essentially does the same thing. When booting up in verbose mode, it says something about how it cannot alloc the IntelHDGraphicsFB class. It scrolls up too fast to read the full message. I am using Kext Wizard to install the frame buffer kext, maybe it has something to do with Kext Wizard?

are you using clover? if yes, disable Inject Intel

No, I am using chameleon. I tried the DSDT injection but it's still not working. It now says Intel HD Graphics in safe mode so it must be reading the DSDT. I don't get the scrambled screen, it just sits on the Apple screen spinning forever. I tried patching my own frame buffer using Giofrida's Intel HD Graphics Patcher using the linux dump analyzer and then going to manual patch. It just sits on the Apple screen spinning forever. Interestingly, I can connect to it via screen sharing and it looks fine, the display is not distorted or scrambled. It doesn't seem to be detecting the display. If I go to About this Mac > More Info > Displays it says "No displays detected" IDK what else to do. Nothing I try works. DSDT Injection didn't work and Natit doesn't work either.

• Like 1

I have installed vanilla mac osx 10.9.3 using insanelymac guide.I successfully booted in in initial boot and then i tried almost every kexts but i am getting this screen.I too have natit installed along with smbios of mac pro 6,2 but i am getting this scrambled screen.

Core i3 370 M I

intelHD graphics

dell inspiron n5010 6GB raam

what do i do now? 

post-1196560-0-72569600-1405130154.jpg

I have installed vanilla mac osx 10.9.3 using insanelymac guide.I successfully booted in in initial boot and then i tried almost every kexts but i am getting this screen.I too have natit installed along with smbios of mac pro 6,2 but i am getting this scrambled screen.

Core i3 370 M I

intelHD graphics

dell inspiron n5010 6GB raam

what do i do now? 

@Monsterrrrr I'm sorry but you are doing something wrong somewhere. Your laptop is compatible for QE/CI. You and 51r have the same exact laptop so there is no reason why your Dell  n5010 can't work. The only difference is that he's running Yosemite. @51r, could you maybe tell him what kexts and configuration you used when you had Mavericks? It's probably not hard to fix.

I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (upgraded from 10.8.4 via the combo update) on my Asus X52F on a spare desktop hard drive with a USB to SATA adaptor. This machine has an Intel Core i3-380M, which is an Arrandale, and a 1366x768 panel. It uses the LVDS connection according to Ubuntu. I spent all day trying to get the graphics working with this guide. I tried every frame buffer (VGA+LCD LW 1-4 in Normal, Alternative and Alternative 2) and none of them work for me. All of them result in a scrambled screen when I get to the desktop. See the picture below. This is very frustrating and I really want this to work. Is there any other frame buffer files I can try? 

DSCF8002.jpg

Usually you get this screen when the framebuffer isn't loaded. I'm not too familiar with Mountain Lion since mostly everyone upgraded to Mavericks. If your telling me that your native resolution is 1366x768, then it should be single link framebuffer. You will need to use Alternate LCD+VGA LW1. You can't use the normal framebuffer because I need to see if it boots without igpu power management. 

Now, when the apple boot screen spins forever, it means that os-info failed to inject. I'm not sure if you patched your DSDT correctly. As I said before, Natit is very problematic on some computers so I don't recommend using it.

WOOT! Finally got it working! Turns out there was a typo in my DSDT. I typed "APPL,os-info" instead of "AAPL,os-info". This was preventing it from working. Corrected that typo and used the framebuffer that GhostRaider said to use and it worked right away. So happy to finally have it working!

WOOT! Finally got it working! Turns out there was a typo in my DSDT. I typed "APPL,os-info" instead of "AAPL,os-info". This was preventing it from working. Corrected that typo and used the framebuffer that GhostRaider said to use and it worked right away. So happy to finally have it working!

Glad you got it working! I suggest you upgrade to OS X Mavericks and then in the fall upgrade to OS X Yosemite. It may be hard to get things working at first but once you have the correct hardware kexts and patched dsdt, then upgrades should go smoothly since you would know what to fix.

@Monsterrrrr I'm sorry but you are doing something wrong somewhere. Your laptop is compatible for QE/CI. You and 51r have the same exact laptop so there is no reason why your Dell  n5010 can't work. The only difference is that he's running Yosemite. @51r, could you maybe tell him what kexts and configuration you used when you had Mavericks? It's probably not hard to fix.

Usually you get this screen when the framebuffer isn't loaded. I'm not too familiar with Mountain Lion since mostly everyone upgraded to Mavericks. If your telling me that your native resolution is 1366x768, then it should be single link framebuffer. You will need to use Alternate LCD+VGA LW1. You can't use the normal framebuffer because I need to see if it boots without igpu power management. 

Now, when the apple boot screen spins forever, it means that os-info failed to inject. I'm not sure if you patched your DSDT correctly. As I said before, Natit is very problematic on some computers so I don't recommend using it.

He have my kexts and dsdt ... but his laptop is not working.. i dont know.. :D he tried with my kexts.. he is on 10.9 and i have it for 10.9 but it's not working on his laptop.. we are chatting in fb to fix the issue but we cant.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I will try to be short not to waste precious time.

1st  - BIG thank's to the author for puting all this info in one place - must be a hero! :)

2nd - I am new to macs, so please don't be to mean (I am however familiar with windows (10years) and linux (2years)

So, i own a mac for about 6months (rMBP 15" intel iris pro) and i am now trying (due to needs,not just fun) to make my first hackintosh.

It is a HP 2540p notebook  - intel arrandale cpu/integrated graphics that already runs Windows8.1 and uBuntu desktop at 100%.

(i have PCH_LVDS: 0x80308302)

Tried using myHack with mavericks 10.9.4 - it hags fast(~8sec), "waiting for system mapper" and than backtrace 0xfff....

Tried booting with -x, goes a little further than hangs.

Tried using myHak with mavericks 10.9.0 - it hangs fast(~8sec), "waiting for system mapper" and than backtrace 0xfff....

Tried booting with -x, it boots and i am able to partition AND install - all ok, i see the desktop (ironic bluetooth is working..)

- than tried everything described here, tried all 3 different video kexts, it only boots if I use -x

So i now don't think it is only a video problem but maybe something else ?

ANY help that could point me into the right dirrection would be greatly appreciated, or maybe after 5days it is better for me to give up? .. :(

Thank you very much.

PS: if I should post any other info please let me know...

Hi, I will try to be short not to waste precious time.

1st  - BIG thank's to the author for puting all this info in one place - must be a hero! :)

2nd - I am new to macs, so please don't be to mean (I am however familiar with windows (10years) and linux (2years)

So, i own a mac for about 6months (rMBP 15" intel iris pro) and i am now trying (due to needs,not just fun) to make my first hackintosh.

It is a HP 2540p notebook  - intel arrandale cpu/integrated graphics that already runs Windows8.1 and uBuntu desktop at 100%.

(i have PCH_LVDS: 0x80308302)

Tried using myHack with mavericks 10.9.4 - it hags fast(~8sec), "waiting for system mapper" and than backtrace 0xfff....

Tried booting with -x, goes a little further than hangs.

Tried using myHak with mavericks 10.9.0 - it hangs fast(~8sec), "waiting for system mapper" and than backtrace 0xfff....

Tried booting with -x, it boots and i am able to partition AND install - all ok, i see the desktop (ironic bluetooth is working..)

- than tried everything described here, tried all 3 different video kexts, it only boots if I use -x

So i now don't think it is only a video problem but maybe something else ?

ANY help that could point me into the right dirrection would be greatly appreciated, or maybe after 5days it is better for me to give up? .. :(

Thank you very much.

PS: if I should post any other info please let me know...

Well the problem must be the way you installed OS X. You see you need to remove the Intel HD Graphics kexts from myHack USB. More info in guide. Then, you have to delete the Intel HD Graphics kexts inside the OS X partition (System/Library/Extensions). This way, your laptop will boot in a 1024x768 state without the need to use Safe Mode. As I said before, you have to fix the graphics for last. First make sure everything else is working properly, i.e. wifi, trackpad, webcam, etc. and make sure that your laptop can boot without "-x" in the boot loader. Then come back and fix the graphics.

Well the problem must be the way you installed OS X. You see you need to remove the Intel HD Graphics kexts from myHack USB. More info in guide. Then, you have to delete the Intel HD Graphics kexts inside the OS X partition (System/Library/Extensions). This way, your laptop will boot in a 1024x768 state without the need to use Safe Mode. As I said before, you have to fix the graphics for last. First make sure everything else is working properly, i.e. wifi, trackpad, webcam, etc. and make sure that your laptop can boot without "-x" in the boot loader. Then come back and fix the graphics.

I did removed the kexts from the usb (I followed the entire article)

With 10.9.4 i am unable to install at all, with 10.9.0 i was able to install in safemode.

Gues it is not only a video issue but something else - can't find any other info on the web about so i'm kinda stuck.

Will try a few more things but without a clear error it is hard (impossible?) to know where to look ...

Thank's.

Update: i managed to install and boot without -x BUT using only using -f so I am now in desktop again :)

Problem was the way the disk was partitioned (mbr) and now GUID win mavericks 10.9.0 only.

So... any ideeas why it only boots with -f and before fixing the screen resolution what i should do ?

Regards,

Edited by iustinn

I did removed the kexts from the usb (I followed the entire article)

With 10.9.4 i am unable to install at all, with 10.9.0 i was able to install in safemode.

Gues it is not only a video issue but something else - can't find any other info on the web about so i'm kinda stuck.

Will try a few more things but without a clear error it is hard (impossible?) to know where to look ...

Thank's.

Update: i managed to install and boot without -x BUT using only using -f so I am now in desktop again :)

Problem was the way the disk was partitioned (mbr) and now GUID win mavericks 10.9.0 only.

So... any ideeas why it only boots with -f and before fixing the screen resolution what i should do ?

Regards,

Usually when booting with -f you're computer is ignoring kext caches. Did you rebuild your kext cache properly? After you can boot without -f then yeah the last thing to do is fix your graphics.

Usually when booting with -f you're computer is ignoring kext caches. Did you rebuild your kext cache properly? After you can boot without -f then yeah the last thing to do is fix your graphics.

Yes, using sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/. With -f i have no lan,wifi,trackpad,sound(don't need) or graphics. Bluetooth,firewire and external mouse are working.

The display of my laptop is 1280x800 so I used QECI 10.9 singlelink and tried a few framebuffers but without any luck ...

(take time because i have to boot in safe mode, delete the FB, use kextutility and start over for each FB)

UPDATE:

I give up, thank you for your support, it has been a good learning experience! Sticking to Win8.1 and uBuntu 14.04, both stable and super fast, ubuntu with a + on speed and a - in graphics

(to much to fix and time consuming, booting in safemode after any mistake, took me 2days just for trying the video FB's)

For anyone interested:

Notebook HP 2540p, mavericks 10.9.0 (if you update to 10.9.4 it won't boot, game over.)

Working - lan,audio(only on max. vol),bluetooth,firewire.

NOT working - wireless,card reader ,trackpad (tried a lot) and ... video (tried all FB's)

You can get native resolution by modifying the chameleon bootloader just to have more room.

Sistem is slow on boot and normal reboot (on a hdd)

It works an both MBR and GUID formated partitions, if done properly.

Regards and I will stick around :)

Can someone check for me if CI only is working on OS X Yosemite Beta? Maybe CI users can test it out? All you have to do is have the original Yosemite AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext, AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLD.driver and AppleIntelHDGraphicsVA.bundle inside the System/Library/Extensions folder. Delete AppleIntelHDGraphicFB and AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.bundle if they are inside the extensions folder. Rebuild cache, reboot and then check in ScreenSavers and click on one of the slideshow screensavers to see if it loads. If it does CI only still works. If its corrupt or nothing is seen, then it may no longer be supported.

I Have a Dell Vostro 3300 and using a Intel i3-330M, previously enabled QE/CI following this guide on Mavericks.

But now installed the Yosemite DP2 and could not enable the QE/CI again.

I can boot to desktop with no AppleIntelHDGraphics* in S/L/E, sure with 1024x768 only, when i applied the patched AppleIntelHDGraphics* kext, I either get a scrambled screen or get a black screen with backlit on only.

Previously I enabled QE/CI using SingleLink, LW1, LVDS+VGA, Alternate AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext, but with the same patch using Intel Graphics Patcher, no luck to boot into desktop .

P.S. I installed the Natit.kext as well

Anyone have any idea what I have missed?

Thanks in advance

I Have a Dell Vostro 3300 and using a Intel i3-330M, previously enabled QE/CI following this guide on Mavericks.

But now installed the Yosemite DP2 and could not enable the QE/CI again.

I can boot to desktop with no AppleIntelHDGraphics* in S/L/E, sure with 1024x768 only, when i applied the patched AppleIntelHDGraphics* kext, I either get a scrambled screen or get a black screen with backlit on only.

Previously I enabled QE/CI using SingleLink, LW1, LVDS+VGA, Alternate AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext, but with the same patch using Intel Graphics Patcher, no luck to boot into desktop .

P.S. I installed the Natit.kext as well

Anyone have any idea what I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Updated

I make it native resolution and booted into Desktop by using the Mavericks patched kext, but with a different FB setting as in Mavericks.

QE/CI worked with SingleLinke, LW1, Alternate, LVDS+VGA, but in Yosemite, i need to patch it with "Alternate 2" instead.

Though now getting native resolution, but its still laggy and DVD player couldnt even launch.

I guess I have to test out if CI only works on Yosemite Beta for DP users. The only way to test this is if you have Chameleon boot loader since if you try using Clover it will corrupt the screen. Not sure why. I'm planning on making a USB Chameleon stick to see whether it works or not and report back. 

As for QE/CI on OS X Yosemite Beta, there seems to be a problem with Giofrida's patch. While it does say Yosemite support, I'm guessing the frame buffer hex codes were changed for the beta. 

I've tried patching the framebuffer countless of times and I always boot into a black screen on Yosemite, which basically tells me the patch is not working. Can anyone report back if Giofrida's patcher works for the Yosemite Beta framebuffer? I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

I have the feeling that the hex code patches for SingleLink are the culprit. The hex code patches for LVDS+VGA as well as Link Width 1-4 are fine since I found them easily using Hex Fiend. 

The workaround for this is to install Mavericks Intel HD Graphics framebuffer on Yosemite Beta which isn't bad but would be great to have the Yosemite version working.