OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

As described in my signature GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G , it is not a reference design and it should not matter. 

Nvidia Web drivers are keyed to specific kernel version of OS X.. they must match or the driver will not get loaded.

A complete signature from your system would help a lot.... are you on Yosemite ? which version ?

Bootlog from DarwinDumper could also contain some hints...

Ok!

I'm using the 346.01.02f01 version of nvidia web driver on my 10.10.3 OS X install (had same problem on earlier 10.10.x too).

The 960 does not get detected in system information like my 5870 does...

Dump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/notng21uzunq51w/DarwinDumper_2.9.8_Apple_X64_Yos_niclas.zip?dl=0

Thanks for helping me out!

Edit:

I tried to put it in the second 8x pcie port and it works there!

There's not much loss performance wise but it covers connections and stuff I would like to access...

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Unless you had mess with BIOS settings I don't see why it works only in the 8x slot. Are you sure it was seated properly ?

I downloaded you report but it seems to be corrupted cause I cannot unzip it.

No change in bios, nvram or anywhere else.

I have tried to reseat it in the 16x port several times, it doesn't touch anything but still doesn't work.

In the 8x port it works every time... 

I've reuploaded the dump when it is in the x16 port:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/notng21uzunq51w/DarwinDumper_2.9.8_Apple_X64_Yos_niclas.zip?dl=0

Also, is it correct that the hd4600 disappears from system reports when the 960 is connected?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84vsdxrzp5at3ss/Sk%C3%A4rmklipp%202015-04-18%2003.22.05.png?dl=0

Also, is it correct that the hd4600 disappears from system reports when the 960 is connected?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84vsdxrzp5at3ss/Sk%C3%A4rmklipp%202015-04-18%2003.22.05.png?dl=0

I think you don't know how to setup your BIOS in order to have both IGPU and discrete GPU card enabled even it has been discussed here several times and is also mentioned in custom BIOS(es) release notes...

If you don't know how to use forum search function, here is a short HOW TO SETUP YOUR BIOS:

set Peripherals/Init Display First to IGPU

set Peripherals/Integrated Graphics to Enabled

save and reboot

I think you don't know how to setup your BIOS in order to have both IGPU and discrete GPU card enabled even it has been discussed here several times and is also mentioned in custom BIOS(es) release notes...

If you don't know how to use forum search function, here is a short HOW TO SETUP YOUR BIOS:

set Peripherals/Init Display First to IGPU

set Peripherals/Integrated Graphics to Enabled

save and reboot

Sorry should have double checked IGPU, it was set to auto when trying the 960 in 16x pcie with all possible BIOS combinations known to man.

When I put it in the 8x and changed init first to IGPU + display ROM UEFI only -> save and exit. Later on I realized that it did not "take". Tried a few more times, it was back on auto on every reboot.

Next I clr cmos and started from scratch. IGPU setting is now working and HD4600 shows up together with the 960 (in 8x).

But to go back to my initial problem, the 960 still refuses to work in the 16x pcie port. In the 8x it works fine. Not sure what kind of results I should be getting but NovaBanch gave me 549 fps in the 3D test.

If anyone has any more ideas I'm all ears.

I've read and followed the wiki steps, ozmosis github release notes, this thread and the ozmosis thread.

I've read and followed the wiki steps, ozmosis github release notes, this thread and the ozmosis thread.

You have no monitor connected on IGPU ports, why you are enabling it?

Usual we do that when discrete gfx card does not have enough ports to satisfy our needs/monitors...

IMHO you have there a "soup" b/w wrong hardware connections and BIOS setup, try to do less starting from defaults.

You have no monitor connected on IGPU ports, why you are enabling it?

Usual we do that when discrete gfx card does not have enough ports to satisfy our needs/monitors...

IMHO you have there a "soup" b/w wrong hardware connections and BIOS setup, try to do less starting from defaults.

I have been told that I need IGPU to be able to see the booting process. I've had it connected to my single screen using HDMI and the 960 with DP.

Does disabling IGPU change anything in terms of functionality? QuickSync works anyway? Unfortunately it din't fix the x16 problem.

I did start from scratch, cleared cmos, fresh install of OS X. Everything works except the gtx 960 in the x16 pcie port.

I have been told that I need IGPU to be able to see the booting process. I've had it connected to my single screen using HDMI and the 960 with DP.

Does disabling IGPU change anything in terms of functionality? QuickSync works anyway? Unfortunately it din't fix the x16 problem.

I did start from scratch, cleared cmos, fresh install of OS X. Everything works except the gtx 960 in the x16 pcie port.

Dunno who/what told you, but connecting same monitor to IGPU and GTX 960 wont give you anything in plus then trouble.

I still stand that you have wrong setup b/w hardware and BIOS setings, GTX 960 for sure has UEFI VBIOS while defaults on custom BIOS is to Legacy VBIOS, Palit is not such a brand and I bet that card has a crappy VBIOS, so w/o that card to test I have no idea what to advice other then load setup defaults and then enable UEFI VBIOS instead Legacy for discrete card.

Dunno who/what told you, but connecting same monitor to IGPU and GTX 960 wont give you anything in plus then trouble.

I still stand that you have wrong setup b/w hardware and BIOS setings, GTX 960 for sure has UEFI VBIOS while defaults on custom BIOS is to Legacy VBIOS, Palit is not such a brand and I bet that card has a crappy VBIOS, so w/o that card to test I have no idea what to advice other then load setup defaults and then enable UEFI VBIOS instead Legacy for discrete card.

Ok, so lets agree that I don't need the IGPU. I've disconnected the HDMI cable to the IGPU and have the recommended settings in BIOS. The wiki states that display ROM should be UEFI only, and thats how I set it.

The Palit gtx 970 VBIOS seems to work well in other hackintoshes x16 port. And my card works without error in my 8x pcie. That makes me think that the VBIOS is ok?

Palit also makes Gainward, Galaxy (KFA2/GALAX) and more. It was the largest purchaser of nvidia graphics chips 2 years ago, most likely still is today.

I went to: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?did=10de-1401--

And had a look at my VBIOS and compared it to MSI, EVGA, ASUS and Gigabyte. They are all extremely similar except for the ASUS, it is very diffrent. I won't refer to it hereafter.

The diff among the VBIOSes seems to be at the same offsets more or less on all VBIOSes. Compared to my BIOS, MSI had 35 diffs, EVGA 30, Galax 41, 5x Gigabye 39-41.

I could try to change my card to an ASUS or EVGA but it will probably cost me about 50$.

Just to be clear, no functions such as AirPlay Mirroring are depended on the IGPU? Or any other feature?

Thank you!

That's exactly what I needed (although I had to google to find out what an "ATX Power switch" was... ;).

Now.

Back to my regularly scheduled problem.

I reset the BIOS as per above, then ran Q-Flash again, installing the 1479 ROM and setting the BIOS to defaults. The same problem appeared - it boots to a black screen and that's it. No appearance of the QUO splash screen or anything. No getting to the settings by holding down DEL or END.

So I reset the BIOS again. This time I rolled it back to the 894 ROM and it boots fine to Mac OS Yosemite as before.

I then did a checksum test on the ROM to make sure it wasn't corrupted or anything, and it passed md5 and sha1 no problem.

Just in case I'd done something wrong the first time (not beyond the realm...) I did it again and 1479 still only boots to a black screen.

I'd like to get the latest ROM to work for reasons of sound. Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks!

Do you have any daughter board on any pci port other than the discrete board ? if so the remove it. And give it a new try. I encountered this exact trouble because of my RAID card. I had to boot without it and therefore configure all my bios settings to have a whole uefi only (not first )boot and finally put back the board inside. with this solution no more black screen. By the way if anyone knows how to, I am looking for a way to set by default my bios configuration even after a new flash, I am tired  to set them after a bios crash or cmos reset.

Thanks IronMan, I already did that but it does not survive to a cmos crash since I cannot access to the bios ( I have to pull out my card, re flash my board and set up again the whole parameters )I am much looking for a way to have my flash bios file, on my usb stick with the correct parameters by default.

• 2 weeks later...

I was messing around trying to get airplay to work and I was seeing that basically the only way to get that to work was to change the mac identifier to imac13,2 currently it is at mac3,1. How do I go about that?

I was messing around trying to get airplay to work and I was seeing that basically the only way to get that to work was to change the mac identifier to imac13,2 currently it is at mac3,1. How do I go about that?

Not sure that it only involves changing the mac identifier .. other conditions needs to be met  but if you want to tell your QUO that it is a iMac and not a Mac Pro then ...

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductName=iMac13,2

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:SystemSerial=xxxxxxxxx

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BaseBoardSerial=xxxxxxxxx.....

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductFamily=iMac

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductId=Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

• Like 1