OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Upgraded to the new BIOS.  The only issue I'm having is that no matter what I do, it boots into my Windows 8 drive.  I change the boot priority and when I reboot it puts windows 8 back at the top.  I had to disable the SATA port it's connected to to boot into OS X.   It's not really that big of a deal since I don't have to physically unplug it, but I get the impression here that I am the only one experiencing this.  Any ideas?

Upgraded to the new BIOS.  The only issue I'm having is that no matter what I do, it boots into my Windows 8 drive.  I change the boot priority and when I reboot it puts windows 8 back at the top.  I had to disable the SATA port it's connected to to boot into OS X.   It's not really that big of a deal since I don't have to physically unplug it, but I get the impression here that I am the only one experiencing this.  Any ideas?

Did the same to me with Win7 EFI install which is first drive in the system. System Preferences -> Startup Disk is the solution if you select the disk you want to boot in there using the reboot option then it should go to your OSX install and continue to do so every boot, then the old stand by for a Gigabyte board the F12 key at startup gives you the boot device selection menu hopefully it is enabled on these boards.

• Like 2

I'd like to add that you can also use bcfg boot add/rm command from Shell to change your boot order to any way you like.

Also handy to get rid of them EDK entries that seem to pile up, keep the last one in the list it seems to be the real one that actually takes you to a shell for any that try it..

Hi @ll

I am considering updating to the new bios. My system is working fine, just updated to 10.9.5. Considering my configuration (see below), is updating a plus ? I read the notes coming with the bios and as I am rather noob to these matters, it was a bit like Chinese to me.  I had no problem with precedent bios upgrades. Are any precautions to be taken else than backup, before updating. Is the procedure the same than precedent bios upgrade : take out graphic card, upgrade bios, put back graphic card, reinstall sound patch, etc.

Thanks for any advice. 

Did you re-patched the Audio after upgrading to 10.9.5 if so I would suggest you re-apply 10.9.5 Combo Update so your AppleHDA.kext reverts to its original state.

The new BIOS will inject a kext to take care of your audio.

Backup and then upgrade BIOS ( I did not remove the Graphics Card prior to upgrade)

Did you re-patched the Audio after upgrading to 10.9.5 if so I would suggest you re-apply 10.9.5 Combo Update so your AppleHDA.kext reverts to its original state.

The new BIOS will inject a kext to take care of your audio.

Backup and then upgrade BIOS ( I did not remove the Graphics Card prior to upgrade)

Hi IronManJFF

Thanks for your fast answer. I did re-patched the audio indeed.  I'll follow your recommendation when I am ready to upgrade.

It's very simple. OS X -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> OS X. Reboot your system. See what happens.

Thanks but in the ozmosis thread its said the ozmosis version has fixes for SPDIF. And since I have especially problems with DTS over SPDIF on current VoodooHDA I wanted the modded version.

LOL Their new version bios integrated Voodoo driver 2.8.6. We don't need trick AppleHDA anymore. Just remove AppleHDA.kext. It works.

LOL Their new version bios integrated Voodoo driver 2.8.6. We don't need trick AppleHDA anymore. Just remove AppleHDA.kext. It works.

Alternatively you could install the regular 2.8.6 version you get on here removing the VoodooHDA it placed in /S/L/E leaving the HDADisabler.kext and configuration preference pane in place you get the best of both worlds no worries about the AppleHDA upon update plus configuration of the driver you use.

WRONG! Removing AppleHDA.kext will lead to no HDMI/DP audio on discrete graphics card.

Alternatively you could install the regular 2.8.6 version you get on here removing the VoodooHDA it placed in /S/L/E leaving the HDADisabler.kext and configuration preference pane in place you get the best of both worlds no worries about the AppleHDA upon update plus configuration of the driver you use.

Regular 2.8.6 panics on Encoded Digital, HDADisabler.kext is not required for ages, preference pane works no matter if VoodooHda is in BIOS  or not(even I do not see in this case for what to use it), all in one everything from that quote is wrong so just skip/ignore...

WRONG! Removing AppleHDA.kext will lead to no HDMI/DP audio on discrete graphics card.

Regular 2.8.6 panics on Encoded Digital, HDADisabler.kext is not required for ages, preference pane works no matter if VoodooHda is in BIOS  or not(even I do not see in this case for what to use it), all in one everything from that quote is wrong so just skip/ignore...

That is why they put the disabler in the installer because it is useless good to know...

That is why they put the disabler in the installer because it is useless good to know...

If u mean the QUO firmware, did u ever check what Disabler.kext actually disables and why it is injected only in particular environments? ...

• Like 1

If u mean the QUO firmware, did u ever check what Disabler.kext actually disables and why it is injected only in particular environments? ...

HDADisabler if you had bother to read before commenting, it (the Quo one since you refer to it) certainly does nothing with the voodoohda it  panics my board every boot with it loading and just how the hell are you supposed to look at it, it is in a .ffs (I have never seen instructions to convert back anywhere) unless these boys are somewhere publicly hosting the source code so people can look at it which I highly doubt they are. So no I have never seen it unless you have copy to share....

HDADisabler if you had bother to read before commenting, it (the Quo one since you refer to it) certainly does nothing with the voodoohda it  panics my board every boot with it loading and just how the hell are you supposed to look at it, it is in a .ffs (I have never seen instructions to convert back anywhere) unless these boys are somewhere publicly hosting the source code so people can look at it which I highly doubt they are. So no I have never seen it unless you have copy to share....

You can use UEFITool and Extract the Body of the "FFS", then if you open the saved .raw with a hex editor you will know(I hope) what to do next.

About source, guess you need glasses since I said in Ozmosis thread, I will repeat here, there is no source to supply since the AC3 fix was made by Finger and uploaded http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355&view=findpost&p=18212 but was wrong committed to the VoodooHda main trunk and is the reason 2.8.6 and bellow panics on EncodedDigital, if you want to compile your own kext you know what you have to do.

For the HDADisabler read bellow.

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the AppleHDADisabler.kext simply does what its name implies which is disabling the AppleHDA.kext, mostly for the purposes of using an alternate sound kext such as the VoodooHDA.kext?

Since Zenith432 stepped in:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285266-voodoohda-with-fix-for-random-kp/ there is no more need to use AppleHDADisabler.kext since VoodooHDA and AppleHDA can coexist unless user is really stupid and does something very bad, it is how it works in the new BIOS, VoodooHDA take care of onboard codec, and AppleHDA cover the discrete graphics card audio codec.

• Like 1

Disabler kext is for unsupported cpus booting 6.3 install dvd :P

Disabler.kext is programmable kext. You can disable all kexts tha match what you wrote inside it's Info.plist.

Any one have the source?

VoodooHDA.kext has no "IOProbeScore" entry ? Otherwise setting it to a different value can be used to prevent another VoodooHDA to load ..if not I'm wrong..

I am interested in buying a motherboard QUO, but audio is the only thing that really interests me through updates... I want a stable system to use as MediaCenter using a TV via HDMI using only IGPU..

Disabler.kext is programmable kext. You can disable all kexts tha match what you wrote inside it's Info.plist.

Any one have the source?

VoodooHDA.kext has no "IOProbeScore" entry ? Otherwise setting it to a different value can be used to prevent another VoodooHDA to load ..if not I'm wrong..

I am interested in buying a motherboard QUO, but audio is the only thing that really interests me through updates... I want a stable system to use as MediaCenter using a TV via HDMI using only IGPU..

I don't have Disabler source.

About double Voodoo, I do not see how two VoodooHda can be loaded(same class), if you set IOProbeScore it will fail to load from BIOS(dependencies).

VoodooHda does not cover HDMI/DP audio(yet) on IGPU so you will still need to hack AppleHDA for such audio output.

For the VoodooHDA

I was reading the last posts only, so if I understand, a copy of VoodooHDA is embed in the firmware? Only for curiosity what Appen if a user put inside SLE another VodooHDA.kext , especially a new bad version that sooner or later, someone build? maybe the new version will load out of your control?

Not really important, as I said was just curiosity (and if I'm not wrong). 

But you've caught the problem for the iGPU. I saw a package in the wiki with layout and Platform files to patch AppleHDA. How could these files need to be updated so often???
These file can also be placed externally to AppleHDA.kext (injector?), ...why I ask.
I saw that binary patches are always the same (ok Lion is now a old OS that have a 32-64 bit executable, so that's another story). Why not inject a binary occurence replacement as Clover do ?  (probably you can...sure).
 As I said the sound is what will make the difference to buy QUO card for me... and benefit for the rest :)

For the VoodooHDA

I was reading the last posts only, so if I understand, a copy of VoodooHDA is embed in the firmware? Only for curiosity what Appen if a user put inside SLE another VodooHDA.kext , especially a new bad version that sooner or later, someone build? maybe the new version will load out of your control?

Not really important, as I said was just curiosity (and if I'm not wrong). 

But you've caught the problem for the iGPU. I saw a package in the wiki with layout and Platform files to patch AppleHDA. How could these files need to be updated so often???
These file can also be placed externally to AppleHDA.kext (injector?), ...why I ask.
I saw that binary patches are always the same (ok Lion is now a old OS that have a 32-64 bit executable, so that's another story). Why not inject a binary occurence replacement as Clover do ?  (probably you can...sure).
 As I said the sound is what will make the difference to buy QUO card for me... and benefit for the rest :)

There is no benefit for the rest if you buy or not the board.

Oz does not replace users brain, if they install a new version of VoodooHDA with higher build number o/c that will be loaded instead...

From my point of view hacking AppleHDA has to end, and focus should go for alternative driver, VoodooHDA is mature enough but lack devoted developers...

Still there is an package for AppleHDA that can be run after each update, if that is not easy enough for average user, dunno what can I say more then that Oz is not Clover and it will never be.

BTW GM candidate is fine.

• Like 1