OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Your best bet might be to revert to the original nvram settings. Just set the same variables you used but with MacPro3,1 values. See if that gets it booting again. Then could try MacMini5,3. These came with Lion but some users were able to downgrade them to Snow as they still used Sandybridge CPUs. These had Thunderbolt ports.

• Like 1

So has anybody had any problems with their optical drive? I can't get Mavericks to recognize it unless I boot with a disc in the drive. Otherwise it only shows up under SATA devices in system profiler, but not under Disc Burning. If I boot with a disc in, it shows under disc burning and works fine. I've done some extensive googling and see that this has been a problem before with the exact same symptoms, but not necessarily under Mavericks, and none of the solutions for previous OS X versions has worked for me so far. I did find a thread somewhere that said to replace a kext in Mavericks with the version from Mountain Lion, but I can't find the thread again and don't remember which kext it was. Anybody experienced this issue or have a fix? Other than a few bluetooth/wifi quirks I've pretty much got my system humming along other than the optical drive issue. The optical drive is a TSSTcorp TS-T633C.

Hi, hope I can get some help for an issue I can't seem to solve.

I built my new system with the Quo motherboard and have had it running fine for some time now. Dual boot to Win 7 and Mavericks with no issues except never getting imessage to work but I didn't really care about that.

Today I turn on the system and instead of getting the Quo logo screen, hearing a beep and then it booting in to my Mac os (or hitting f12 to select win7) I hear a beep, the Quo logo comes up and then after some time I hear the beep again, then after a while the beep, and so on for a total of 4 times then the screen goes blank. That's it!

I unplugged all the USB devices, unplugged all the hard drives and the same thing. I would have thought with none of the hard drives connected I would have at least received an error saying there was no drive installed. I have reset the cmos and still nothing, just the beep, splash screen, and then 4 beeps separated by like 20 seconds each time then black screen.

Any one have any thoughts? I am at a loss.

I built my new system with the Quo motherboard and have had it running fine for some time now. Dual boot to Win 7 and Mavericks with no issues except never getting imessage to work but I didn't really care about that.

Today I turn on the system and instead of getting the Quo logo screen, hearing a beep and then it booting in to my Mac os (or hitting f12 to select win7) I hear a beep, the Quo logo comes up and then after some time I hear the beep again, then after a while the beep, and so on for a total of 4 times then the screen goes blank. That's it!

I unplugged all the USB devices, unplugged all the hard drives and the same thing. I would have thought with none of the hard drives connected I would have at least received an error saying there was no drive installed. I have reset the cmos and still nothing, just the beep, splash screen, and then 4 beeps separated by like 20 seconds each time then black screen.

Any one have any thoughts? I am at a loss.

Bad/loose RAM? Maybe try unplugging one by one or reseating them. Maybe try the same thing with the graphics card (although if you see the splash screen I can't imagine that would be the problem).

Pulled all of the ram out and then when I turned it on it constantly beeped. At least it was something different! Tried putting in one stick of memory (with difference ones) and the same thing. Might just try the graphic card tomorrow since that's the only thing I haven't really tried.

Pulled all of the ram out and then when I turned it on it constantly beeped. At least it was something different! Tried putting in one stick of memory (with difference ones) and the same thing. Might just try the graphic card tomorrow since that's the only thing I haven't really tried.

Haha well yeah of course it won't do anything with all the RAM pulled. I doubt it's the vid card but maybe. Hate to say it, but you might need to RMA your board. Sound like a similar issue I had with an MSI Platinum. One day it just wouldn't boot. It would just light up and then shut off. Got a new board and it booted no prob with all the same components.

@mixelplick, 99.9% your issue was caused by bad overclock and was discussed here before.

The solution is to force backup BIOS to kick in(read/search this topic) then flash the BIOS you like again(assuming you didn't killed your ram sticks and/or something else...).

... I am irritated, because it *did* run at some point to my satisfaction from a cc'd disk, just the Apple display stayed black (HDMI based display worked) but later it stopped to work completely...

You need to know few things:

10.6.3 Retail DVD is limited on hardware install and have checks on hardware and system model,  what is unknown wont work, ...what you did wrong when you edited your system model and stuff, I suggest you to reflash your BIOS.

For Snow Leopard, as was said here, you will need SandyBridge CPU, HD3000 will work, not sure if it can drive that cinema display...

- You can use Sandy CPU with discrete gfx card,, just make sure is supported by 10.6.8 at least!

- You can use your current CPU and discrete GFX but you will not have power management working since no support .

• Like 1

You need to know few things:

10.6.3 Retail DVD is limited on hardware install and have checks on hardware and system model,  what is unknown wont work, ...what you did wrong when you edited your system model and stuff, I suggest you to reflash your BIOS.

For Snow Leopard, as was said here, you will need SandyBridge CPU, HD3000 will work, not sure if it can drive that cinema display...

- You can use Sandy CPU with discrete gfx card,, just make sure is supported by 10.6.8 at least!

- You can use your current CPU and discrete GFX but you will not have power management working since no support .

Thanks, The King

your advice is really appreciated.

I have ordered a discrete card (Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 with mini DP). Have tried using the carbon copied HD with a full install instead of the install-DVD. Without the discrete GPU it gives me VGA resolution on the 30" Cinema ( ^_^ ). Nothing I would appreciate. So for the time being, until the card arrives, I will have to continue with 10.8.2 and once the new card arrives, I will try out the MDP.

cheers! 

Found out the issue.....

King saved the day....a while back. About 2 weeks ago I put in a gfx770 and remember there was some issue with it. King had wrote to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only and that fixed it. I don't know how but somehow that setting reset. Pulled my graphic card out, put my old one in, went in to the bios no problem and changed it back to legacy only and now it works fine....at least Win 7 did, Mac was having an issue but one step at a time.

Found out the issue.....

King saved the day....a while back. About 2 weeks ago I put in a gfx770 and remember there was some issue with it. King had wrote to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only and that fixed it. I don't know how but somehow that setting reset. Pulled my graphic card out, put my old one in, went in to the bios no problem and changed it back to legacy only and now it works fine....at least Win 7 did, Mac was having an issue but one step at a time.

And you say this, now...

I said earlier that I wont help people w/o specs in signature, now I am pretty much sure it wont happen again!

And btw settings does not vanish itself, when you reset the CMOS you also reset the values to stock of the that specific BIOS version number

• Like 1

Yes I said this now. It should not have been a bios setting resetting itself. As you said "settings does not vanish itself." This is why I went through and disconnected all the USB devices, tried pulling memory and resetting the cmos (I did this as a last step knowing it would reset the bios settings). 

Like I said this is for anyone else that runs in to an issue that is using a gfx 7xx series card. This board can reset it's bios settings, or at least mine can. Was using my Mac part I had installed and shut it down and then 5 min (literally 5 min) later I went to start it again and the same thing happened again.

This time since I knew what it was I didn't bother with any other steps. Turned off the machine, put in the old graphic card, went to the bios and what do you know....the setting had reset again. Changed it to legacy only, saved and shutdown, put in the 7xx card and now it boots up and am able to write this.

Sent an email to Quo support to see if I got a board with a bad battery.  I had never changed any other bios setting before so maybe I have a bad battery and the whole board is resetting. Nothing else I know of that can switch a bios setting without doing it myself.

Not everyone is made for computers, some things are harder for majority to understand, in your case, that the BIOS has his own A.I.

When you start moving hardware it detects your changes and resets to default...

If is someone at who you want to yell is AMI/Gigabyte, "the others" tried so far to correct their bugs...

• Like 1

Well I went through the bios and enabled a bunch of {censored} and tweaked a few things. Not sure which setting did it, but my optical drive is now detected under disc burning. My CPU is now also detected as running at 3.9 rather than 3.5 and everything is a bit snappier and loads faster at boot so that's a nice little bonus.

Well I went through the bios and enabled a bunch of {censored} and tweaked a few things. Not sure which setting did it, but my optical drive is now detected under disc burning. My CPU is now also detected as running at 3.9 rather than 3.5 and everything is a bit snappier and loads faster at boot so that's a nice little bonus.

Well, when you are sure which settings did it, let us know...

Well, when you are sure which settings did it, let us know...

I'm honestly not sure, but here, these should be all my settings:

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/claustin26/library/Bios

If I had to guess what got my optical drive recognized, it would be under System/SATA Configuration. I enabled Hot Plug on my optical drive. The speed bump is due to setting Performance Enhance under Advanced to Turbo. It also has an Extreme setting, which I'm trying out now, and it seems solid. It didn't bump up my CPU speed anymore, though. Temps might be a couple degrees higher. OS X boots lightning quick now. I think it's due to the optical drive being recognized. At least I think I remember reading somewhere that is what can cause slow boot. Also, whatever you do, DO NOT enable Integrated Graphics. Maybe if you don't have a discreet card installed, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I try it it corrupts my bios and I have to fiddle with getting the secondary bios to engage and reflash. Super annoying. All the other stuff I enabled doesn't seem to have any ill effects, although I can't really tell if they're of any benefit either. One thing I know for sure is if you want to use Parallels you have to enable Intel Virtualization Technology. So there's that. This is all assuming you're running the 828 bios.

Now if I could just figure out why wake for network access isn't working anymore, I'd be set. It just stopped working one day with zero modifications. It's really annoying having to manually wake the computer up if I want to use my Apple TV. Before it would wake itself periodically like it's supposed to, but now it just stays in sleep until I hit a key. Bizarre. 

I didn't know that. Thanks. My understanding is that fast boot gets you through post faster. I'm talking about when OS X is actually booting, Apple logo and then loading desktop, previously opened apps and windows, that kind of stuff. If that is instead due to fast boot, great. All I know is before I would have a lot of hanging on initial desktop load, but know everything is up and running in seconds. Also, I just woke my computer from sleep and none of my USB peripherals were working other than keyboard. I went back in and disabled legacy USB support to see if it rectifies the problem.

I will tell you what I said to BugsBunny user some time ago, you are alone on this.

If you think you are experienced enough to play with BIOS fine, but is not fair to came here and complain that BIOS is {censored} or it has bugs because is not like that.

Every bug you mentioned by now is the consequence of your settings, so if you want them fixed load setup defaults, set RAM Profile and SATA HotPlug stuff if you say it fixes your writer and stay away from BIOS.

Maybe is better to do what majority of vendors does on laptops, offer few options in BIOS, or what Apple does, offer none.

UEFI BIOS is not like the older legacy BIOS everyone is used with, or you start learning it, in quiet, and play with it when you know or gave up.

I don't offer free lessons, and I'm quite expensive in private...

'Scuse me? I don't recall ever once complaining "that BIOS is {censored}" or that it has bugs (which it obviously does, but the OZ BIOS is much better than what QUO or Gigabyte is bringing to the table). I came here to suggest a possible solution to a problem so others that may have said problem can try, after googling for hours and getting nowhere with it. You obviously never gave me any ideas. I freely admit I don't know everything there is to know about the BIOS, and that by flipping switches with abandon I could possibly cause myself some problems. Obviously now that I have a USB problem that I didn't have before, it's due to something I did, and now I'm going to systematically go back and switch things back until it's corrected. I also don't ever recall asking for your help or "lessons." I posted to a public help forum for help from ANYBODY who was willing to offer it,  but considering this IS a public internet help forum if you don't want to be helpful you're obviously in the wrong place. Then again, since it's the "interwebz," if you want to be a condescending douche, maybe you ARE in the right place in general. 

So for anybody else with any suggestions or tips, feel free to chime in and thank you for your time. 

• Like 3

In going back I noticed this part of your post. There's a fix posted here:

http://www.techspot.com/article/720-building-a-hackintosh/

About halfway down under "Working Out The Kinks" that worked for me. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.

So has anyone resolved the hwsensors ambient temperature bug yet? For me it is also stuck at 127°, note that im on 828M and did a native install.

Is not a bug to solve, you do not have Ambient sensor on board so there is nothing to monitor, it will always return max value from SuperIo.

Set in plist to ignore it

• Like 1

Not everyone is made for computers, some things are harder for majority to understand, in your case, that the BIOS has his own A.I.

When you start moving hardware it detects your changes and resets to default...

If is someone at who you want to yell is AMI/Gigabyte, "the others" tried so far to correct their bugs...

Why would not be a non auto reseting value bios made?