OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

@All

I have a problem since installation that I can not solve yet though it does not impairs my use of my computer since I have a graphic card installed. When I first installed my system, I did not put my graphic card in and used the internal video of the chip. System worked fine. Video was set automatically to full definition. I then tried to change the definition of the screen. It resulted in a unreadable screen with multiple windows and I was unable to get back to original state, being unable to read what the screen showed. I then installed my video card and since then I can use my computer. But if I try to use the internal graphic, I still got the same problem. Is there a way to correct the situation ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

B.L.

@ Bernard Leclerc

The resolution change on HD4000 is a known bug on desktop CPU's, the only "fix" is to sleep/wake the computer before you change the resolution.

There is another fix but if that is applied will lead to NO HDMI/DP AUDIO, let me guess, you do not want it...

P.S. Even if the screen is unreadable, if you press the power button the conputer will sleep(assuming you didn't changed the power options...) then on wake you will be able to do the modifications you want.

@ Bernard Leclerc

The resolution change on HD4000 is a known bug on desktop CPU's, the only "fix" is to sleep/wake the computer before you change the resolution.

There is another fix but if that is applied will lead to NO HDMI/DP AUDIO, let me guess, you do not want it...

P.S. Even if the screen is unreadable, if you press the power button the conputer will sleep(assuming you didn't changed the power options...) then on wake you will be able to do the modifications you want.

Thanks  for the info and the suggestion,  I'll try that.

I did a quick search and could not find anything on this topic. 

As I have posted before, I have been using my Quo with a mini-display port Apple Display without issue. Today I had the chance to try a real thunderbolt display, and although the display is working correctly, some of the on-board devices including the built-in USB hub are not. I also have no sound coming out through the display speakers, but this is not an audio drive issue as the sound plays well though airplay. See this screenshot from the system report.  

Any ideas on how I can get them to work?

I decided to try a CCCd copy of snow leo 10.6.8 on this one and it works. Funny sidenote is when I first plugged in my harddrive and booted up Win started to install! Aparently the harddrive I bought cheap on sale actually could have programs left on them and in my case it was some oem version of Fujitsu Win 7 Professional. And this mobo just picked it up and it works too lol.

Anyone able to get imessage to work in the most current update? 

I haven't unfortunately.  It was working with 820, but both my systems are now 828 and I haven't been able to fix it by deleting the plist or changing the serial number

I haven't unfortunately.  It was working with 820, but both my systems are now 828 and I haven't been able to fix it by deleting the plist or changing the serial number

I'm on 828M, and extending the BaseBoardSerial to 17 chars didn't work on its own, but deleting the plist as well worked for me.

I do not know if this is posted here before but if not this is what I found out. If you get strange distorted video after installing a videocard and or altering the video settings in bios (820m) just let the computer go to sleep. When you wake it up video will be back to "normal" at least it did for me.

Well, i could not resist the black friday pricing and pulled the trigger on this board for a secondary system. I'll need to get a new CPU as well, but i look forward to joining this conversation soon. I do not actually plan to use the OZ firmware though. I have a lot of experience working with gigabyte boards and hackintoshing so I am hoping stock firmware and regular hack techniques will serve me well.

Cheers,

g\

Well, i could not resist the black friday pricing and pulled the trigger on this board for a secondary system. I'll need to get a new CPU as well, but i look forward to joining this conversation soon. I do not actually plan to use the OZ firmware though. I have a lot of experience working with gigabyte boards and hackintoshing so I am hoping stock firmware and regular hack techniques will serve me well.

Cheers,

g\

u are missing the very best of this board if u dont use OZ firmware...

I did a quick search and could not find anything on this topic. 

As I have posted before, I have been using my Quo with a mini-display port Apple Display without issue. Today I had the chance to try a real thunderbolt display, and although the display is working correctly, some of the on-board devices including the built-in USB hub are not. I also have no sound coming out through the display speakers, but this is not an audio drive issue as the sound plays well though airplay. See this screenshot from the system report.  

Any ideas on how I can get them to work?

Is anyone else using their Quo board with a Thunderbolt display?

u are missing the very best of this board if u dont use OZ firmware...

How so? Not to sidetrack this thread into a philosophical conversation, but I don't see how OZ would benefit me. It seems the main purpose of OZ is to provide a layer mostly removed from the user that has things pre-configured in a very compatible fashion and which puts the boot loader and most of its settings in this pre-configured space as well. That is all fine and dandy, but that doesn't seem like much of an advantage to someone like me. Correct me if i am wrong but by forgoing the OZ firmware i believe all i am giving up are these predefined settings and some handy EFI hooks like being able to use the startup disk preference, etc. I could get back some of that functionality if i decided to run clover anyway. Meanwhile, as long as the stock firmwares are mature gigabyte UEFI, i know how to set everything up to run optimal in my configurations and i have access to the boot loader and other settings that i sometimes like to adjust and that i enjoy knowing a bit about what each setting is doing, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i am not down on the OZ firmware. I think for some users it's great, they don't have to mess with things if they don't want and it should just work and work more like a mac as far as access to EFI hooks (though again clover would do that part fine).  For me the attraction to this board is its unique feature set (thunderbolt, fw800 freeing up PCIe ports, and overall good component choices). It will allow me to upgrade a semi-portable system i have based on the trusty Z68MX board. So now i will have thunderbolt, an extra free PCIe port i can install a CUDA capable card in, native USB 3.0, etc. 

So I don't mean to be argumentative, rather if i am overlooking some amazing feature(s) that OZ would give me i would like to know.

Thanks,

g\

So I don't mean to be argumentative, rather if i am overlooking some amazing feature(s) that OZ would give me i would like to know.

Thanks,

g\

Oz its a best bootloader in my opinion and will give u all that u ever need!

It just work.

U can try it and see for yourself.

Clover can be used with Oz if u like Clover GUI, i use it like that.

Is anyone else using their Quo board with a Thunderbolt display?

I have done so, but ever since upgrading to 10.9, the USB controllers on the monitor haven't worked.  This also means no webcam, no microphone, no speakers (they all connect through USB).  Firewire and ethernet still work.

With 10.8 and older BIOS versions, I got all of the features to work after changing some of the thunderbolt BIOS settings, but none of those seem to help now.  I do find that the thunderbolt devices may not show up after a cold boot, but a warm boot fixes that.

If anybody finds a configuration where the USB devices on an Apple Thunderbolt display work in 10.9, please let us know.