OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Success at last 

Oz only install of macOS 10.13 Beta with APFS

Congrats! Very good news...

I have 10.13 beta 1 installed on my real macbook. Just testing it out before I make the big upgrade over on the hack. Also waiting till maybe 10.13.2 is out before making the jump.

I'm sure directions on how to do this will be released. Maybe even a modified bios with everything in it (integrated APFS support)

Great job!

I've just recently ran into a problem.  I think my computer updated to MacOs 10.12.5 and now after the apple loading screen it just goes black and the monitors go into sleep mode.  I am currently using Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.ROM.  I looked back through this forum to see if there was an update or patch to this Bios but it is kind of confusing and the latest suggestion for this Bios appears to be the one that I already have.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to updated BIOS flash or patch?  I appreciate your help.  

Thanks IronMan, I have heard a lot of reference to the Defaults.plist on this forum but I got to admit I don't know how to change it.  Thus far i have just been flashing an updated Bios.  Could you point me to a good source for how I would go about safely doing this? I appreciate the remedial lesson here.  Trying to research this for myself but there is a lot of information and It's hard to sort out what applies to me and what doesn't.  How do I add a defaults.plist file if I can not get to the desktop to open the terminal? do I need to boot to UEFI and then just type it in? or is there an option on the BIOS menu for how to do this?

I found this command to disable Nvidia injection.  I think you said to put this into terminal.  But If I simply boot to UEFI and add this code should that do it?  

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableNvidiaInjection=%01

You have only 1 monitor connected to GTX680 ?

I found this command to disable Nvidia injection.  I think you said to put this into terminal.  But If I simply boot to UEFI and add this code should that do it?  

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableNvidiaInjection=%01

From UEFI it becomes:

setvar -guid 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101 DisableNvidiaInjection =01

I had 2 relatively old Dell monitors connected, one using a DVI connection and the other using a DVI to Hdmi adapter into the HDMI port on the graphics card.   (I'll add this to my signature) I entered the command that you gave me and I got the response below.
IMG_0175.jpg
Doesn't seem to have solved the problem.  Do you think I did something wrong? 

I tried a second time but this time I didn't capitalize any letters I got a different response which seems to indicate that I disabled the Nvidia injection, but doesn't seem to be solving the problem.  IMG_0176.jpg

Both monitors connected to the GTX680 ?

In BIOS, check settings for iGPU and Init Display First. If both monitors connected into GTX680 they should be set to 'Auto'.

Had you installed Nvidia Web Drivers ?

Which SysDef (About this Mac) ? Version on OS X ?

Yes both are connected to the GTX680 although at the moment i am only using one which is running into the DVI Express on the Graphics card, the other had been going into the HDMI port on the card but it is currently disconnected. 

IGPU and Init Display First are both set to Auto

I had not installed any Nvidia web drivers

sysdef is 10.12.5, was working on 10.12.3 previously.  

I found these link for updated Nvidia web drivers.  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-05152017/ Should I try to install the 10.12.5 package?  How would I install this via the UEFI?  

Ok I managed to get the monitor working off of the motherboard.  But it only seems to work when i have the Init Display First set to IGPU and internal graphics enabled.  I tried installing the Nvidia web drivers from the link i posted above but I haven't been able to successfully run the monitors off of the graphics card yet.  I switched the display settings back to auto and tried to connect back to the Graphics card but no dice.  Do you think that the latest Nvidia Web Drivers might not support the older GTX 680?  is there something else I could try  to tweak to make the web drivers function?

I tried it with these settings on this link and with both monitors into the GTX680 and it has not worked. https://image.ibb.co/kCuc8Q/unnamed.jpg.

It seems like only when i change the init display first setting to IGPU then I can get a picture out of the motherboard.  But not if I have the settings the way they are usually set as in the link.  

Would someone be able to take a look at these settings as well and make sure they are ok?   https://ibb.co/m9GFTQ I told the computer to Load Optimized Defaults at one point and i realized I had disabled intel virtualization technology which needs to be enabled, wondering if maybe i screwed something else up.  

Intel Virtualization Technology is only needed when using Parallels Desktop or VMWare.

With iGPU = Auto normally the board should use only the graphics card if it finds one.

The other thing that comes to mid is that since you don't seem to know about Defaults.plist and are obviously running 10.12 then you are probably using someone's custom BIOS with it embedded Defaults.plist in ROM.

When you do 'About this Mac' what does your computer 'think' he is ?.

Have you tried to clear nvram ? Command-Option-P-R

My computer is under the impression that it is a "Mac Mini Server (late 2012)" .  I certainly do not know how to build out a custom Bios, I have just been grabbing them off this board everytime a new version comes out and I am immensely grateful to the more knowledgeable people here for making them.    I would certainly like to learn how to build them myself if you have a good resource for that I would definitely be interested, i don't have a programming background but if it doesn't require a great deal of coding skill i might be able to learn it.    

Would i do command-option-p-r to clear nvram while in UEFI mode?  it doesn't seem to do anything when I do it while on the desktop. 

Would the fact that my computer can not use the processor for graphics unless it is designated to do so indicate that it is recognizing the graphics card but the graphics card is not working?  MY GTX 680 is 4 years old now and has been used intensively for video editing all this time.  Is anyone else successfully using a GTX 680 with 10.12.5? Could it be that my graphics hardware is just too old for 10.12.5 or that the upgrade finally caused it to fail?  I am due for a graphics card upgrade so if buying a new graphics card would solve the problem maybe I should go ahead and do that but I can't afford to spend several hundred bucks on a new GPU and then not fix the problem.    

Again I really appreciate your help with this.  

I think you are using ElvieJo's BIOS.

Jo does not have a GTX.

You can boot and press F12 at the beep... on the boot selection screen hit Command-Option-P-R , the screen will flash remand the computer will reboot

The Pascal (GTX 1000 series) drivers are only available for Sierra.

ROM : Grab this one from my own Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t73yeaqu9wooqg4/Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS-SIERRA.ROM.zip?dl=0

Defaults.plist :

This should work for your build  ... all you need to do is insert serial number for iMac 13,2.

Hey Iron Man, thanks a lot for your help so far, so I installed your bios and I updated my Defaults.plist accordingly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>

<key>ProductId</key>

<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>

<key>ProductFamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>iMac13,2</string>

<key>SystemSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM</string>

<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM12345</string>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

But when I restart the computer and do the NVRAM reset it just doesn't seem to take into account the Defaults.plist

Hey Iron Man, thanks a lot for your help so far, so I installed your bios and I updated my Defaults.plist accordingly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>

<key>ProductId</key>

<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>

<key>ProductFamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>iMac13,2</string>

<key>SystemSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM</string>

<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM12345</string>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

But when I restart the computer and do the NVRAM reset it just doesn't seem to take into account the Defaults.plist

Where did you put it ? You only have 1 hd/ssd ?

Bootlog from DarwinDumper would tell for sure (assuming you can boot)

I cleared the NVRam but that didn't do it. I guess I should go back through the forum and try some different versions of the Bios.

Maybe you should ask ElvieJo ...or post the BIOS you used cause i cannot guess what is in it