• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

big_mac

big_mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
How do you connect to your new PSU from the original apple input? Any soldering? Pics would be appreciated!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

How do you connect to your new PSU from the original apple input? Any soldering? Pics would be appreciated!

I have a power cable coming in tuesday or wednesday - I'll be modding it with pictures then! :)

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Another mini update. The sleeving came in, so I spent a few hours today getting started! I have the motherboard +12V power done, and the PCIE power...I'm waiting for a totally free day to start the 24pin!

Posted Image

Anyone who has sleeved a PSU before will be quite familiar with staples:

Posted Image

Honestly? 1/16" sleeving is a pain in the butt (but a necessary one for a clean mod):

Posted Image

This literally took me two minutes to get over the sleeving (I couldn't find any larger 3:1 sleeving in a gray that I liked):

Posted Image

And finally one result:

Posted Image

It's not the best I have done, but definitely better than unsleeved. I'm just thankful that our eyes don't have macro capabilities - it looks great from afar!

I can't wait to have this project done. Right-angle power cable came in today that I need to solder in to the G5 PSU case, I'll have pics of that soon. I may have found a temporary solution for the hard-drives (borrow from my Lian-Li case)...that motherboard is taking its time getting here!!!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Well, after getting some great advice from furball zen over at the Xoxide forums, I decided that heat shrink was ugly, and I never wanted to see it again.

So, I undid everything, and ended up with this:

Posted Image

It's really not that much harder than sleeving with HS...a little trickier but absolutely worth it - I'm much happier with the result, despite the resulting backache from several extra hours hunched over my workbench!

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Love love sleeved cabling. So I wonder how do you get it clean without using heatshrink? I wonder as well if it would look better to heatshrink the entire cable set as one instead of each? Either way, sexy sexy stuff. Excellent photos by the way.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Love love sleeved cabling. So I wonder how do you get it clean without using heatshrink? I wonder as well if it would look better to heatshrink the entire cable set as one instead of each? Either way, sexy sexy stuff. Excellent photos by the way.

Hey Ira,

Well, it's a bit of a process, but using 1/16" sleeving means you can sort of twist it in to the connector as you go. If you do it right, it will be squeezed by the connector and not come out. Ideally, I would be crimping the wires manually, then you can crimp over the sleeving, but this works too.

I personally don't like single-sleeved cables for the motherboard stuff. I do single sleeve on Molex and SATA cables, but I love the individual sleeve on motherboard, ATX12V and PCIE. I'm almost done with the motherboard, and will have more pics. Thanks for your compliments!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Well I have most of it finished - I realized that my second length of sleeving had some snagging every few inches, right out of the package, but FrozenCPU is really good about things and sent me a replacement out already:

Posted Image

Here's how it looks, I'm really pleased with the no-shrink look!

Posted Image

Definitely going to look really nice in the G5!!

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Sorry didn't mean sleeve the 12v wires as one. I meant the end with heatshrink tubing might look better if you heatshrink all the individually sleeved cables as one. Hope that makes sense.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
I see what you're saying, and I think you might be right!

UPDATE:
Well, my CPU came in, and the motherboard and RAM have shipped and should be here soon! This means I have to step up my modding, but I've been on pain killers for some tooth issues, so I'm trying to wait for the pain to go away before I start drilling!

For anyone who is interested, I put together a very quick tutorial for somebody who asked for it on Bit-Tech, about sleeving wires without heatshrink. It's iPhone quality, but it gets the point across. Hope it helps someone!

I'm done with all the sleeving, finally!!! Now I just need to mount the hard-drive cage, run some wire management, and test everything to make sure I didn't screw up the PSU!

NightRyder

NightRyder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That's a real nice way of doing it. I believe it A. Looks better than with heat shrink, and B. Is cheaper for obvious reasons. I may purchase some sleeving and get on to doing my PSU in the coming weeks.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

That's a real nice way of doing it. I believe it A. Looks better than with heat shrink, and B. Is cheaper for obvious reasons. I may purchase some sleeving and get on to doing my PSU in the coming weeks.

It's a fun project for sure. There are times that I've hated it, got sick of rope-burn type blisters on my thumb, and cursed when I messed something up (like the snag in the video), but once you start seeing the rainbow wires disappear it really becomes worth it!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Big_mac, this one is for you:

Here's my method for using the stock G5 power socket. It's actually pretty simple, to be honest.

Tools:
- Right-angle power cable (link)
- Soldering Iron, Solder and Heat Shrink/Electrical Tape
- Wire Strippers (kinda optional)

Here's my patient:
Posted Image

I cut off the plug end of it, so I just had this part left with enough wire to reach the stock socket (with a little extra). Here's where I'll be splicing in to:
Posted Image

Using wire strippers/scissors/teeth (usually, but read comment above about toothache), I stripped about 3/4" on each side:

Posted Image

Once I did that to each wire (except the stock G5 green ground one), I put heat shrink over the longer side. Side note: double check that your shrink is rated for heavier-duty electronics work. Mine is rated up to 600V so I'm good to go. Double-checked to make sure I had shrink on each wire (since I can't tell you how many times I forget this):

Posted Image

With the heat shrink on, I slid the co-ordinating colored wires together, and soldered. My soldering workstation is broken (possibly from overuse), so I'm using a battery-powered iron which is rubbish, and my flux I think may have gotten too cold - it no longer sucks up solder, but just fizzles.

Posted Image

Once soldered up, I applied heat to the heat shrink so it...errr..shrank. (I bet an engineer named that product...)

Now, I don't want to get shocked every time I touch my case, so I took the green ground wire from the cable, and curved it a little to match the loop of the G5's ground. You can solder it in if you want, but it's optional, and I didn't.

Posted Image

Using a screw, I layered the two grounds, and screwed them down into the dedicated ground hole:

Posted Image

And done! Now I can use the stock G5 socket on the back. It's a minor thing, but I have purchased black sockets before and they just don't have the same aesthetic as the Apple-gray ones!

I also (side note) followed the wise advise of The_Gnu here, and added some insulating plastic to the top and sides of the enclosure cover, just in case something touches that shouldn't. The plastic was taken from a ring binder, but seems nice and thick. When I test run with my older hardware, we'll find out if something's wrong down there right quick! Thanks for the tip, The_Gnu!!!

Posted Image

OT: this little guy visited me in my back yard this morning. I'm not a hunter (no problem with those who hunt for food), so the only thing I ran to grab was my camera. Sorry for the quality - the only lens I had on hand was a cheap vintage lens from the 70's....

Posted Image

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Tiny update:

You know, sometimes shipping companies mess up. It happens. You know what's worse? Sleeping in the living room next to the front door and not waking up when your motherboard, RAM and other supplies are waiting right outside needing to be signed for....

I'm still getting over toothache - apparently pain medication makes you sleepy - who knew?

Still, the mailman left my new fan in the mail box, and I was really excited to take a look. The Enermax TB Silence is a sweet looking fan which is super quiet, but I bought it because it is so easily taken apart! I ripped it open (snapped it apart more like), and took the first half to be spray-painted. Not that it doesn't look great already, but since I'm not using the stock Apple fans, I decided I still wanted to carry on the Apple color scheme! I've already put enough spray painting pictures on this work log, so here's a midway-through pic:

Posted Image

Has anyone used these fans before? They are suppose to just click out (the blades part) but mine is taking a lot of force and still not popping out...I don't want to break it! If anyone knows if there's a trick, or has done it before and knows it takes as much pressure as I think, I would love some pointers!

So I guess Monday will be my big update since I was sleeping this morning :D

Thanks for watching!

Edit: I got it. I had no idea that it would need that much force to pull out!!

v3nom

v3nom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
I am using Enermax Cluster fans, which are kind of the same. But I didn't take them apart :P

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
I wish this picture did the fan more justice - it looks so much better in real life, but there you go:

Posted Image

bonestonne

bonestonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I'm really liking the attention to detail going into this build. I just have a few questions..

The Enermax fan you have pictured most recently, do you think that the rear fan grill is open enough? It seems very tight compared to the stock grills, and I think it may affect airflow significantly.

Secondly, why not add an eyelet to the ground cable in the PSU? Seems like it would be a more reliable, and easier to work with.

If the G5 I have at work craps our or gets no use, it'll definitely get hacked to some degree of insanity, though I'm not sure yet.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

I'm really liking the attention to detail going into this build. I just have a few questions..

The Enermax fan you have pictured most recently, do you think that the rear fan grill is open enough? It seems very tight compared to the stock grills, and I think it may affect airflow significantly.

Secondly, why not add an eyelet to the ground cable in the PSU? Seems like it would be a more reliable, and easier to work with.

If the G5 I have at work craps our or gets no use, it'll definitely get hacked to some degree of insanity, though I'm not sure yet.

Hi bonestonne, thanks for your comments! In response to your points:

- Regarding the airflow, I'm hoping it should be fine (although I'll be monitoring it). It came with The Laser Hive conversion kit, and David (the owner) pays a lot of attention to details! I'm thinking that things should remain pretty cool, however - the PSU is a closed system with its own fans (since I kept the stock G5 enclosure) and I'm only using SSDs and low-RPM 2.5" storage drives, so I'm not too worried about heat on that front. I'll keep you updated!

- You are absolutely right re: the eyelet on the PSU ground. I have a box full of them too, I can't believe I didn't think about it! Thanks!

- I definitely think you should give the G5 a go if you get the chance! I just got a Mac Pro case for my next mod (as well as two more G5 cases and a Mac Mini enclosure...lol) but the G5 is really very rewarding. Thanks fro joining the discussion!!

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
Good call on the plastic. I reused the original plastic that was in the TeslaConverter AND the plastic that came with the new PSU, but I also completely removed my PSU guts and then put some standoffs in the shell for the original TeslaConverter. Can never hurt to insulate.

And I agree with bonestonne about an eyelet for the ground wire. If you aren't going to just solder the two wires together (like I did), and want to ground to the case, then throw an eyelet on - or at a minimum, tin the wire so that when you tighten it down, it doesn't fray out. With so much attention to detail, I think this one just slipped past you.

Its looking VERY sharp so far.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
@Mr. D - You are definitely right - it never hurts to insulate! Not only is it safer, but undesired connections (I have found) can easily mess with audio and even bluetooth reception.

I just found my box o' eyelets, and will be soldering one on tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have any of the crimping kind left, but the one I do have will still be fine.

Thanks for your kind comment - I'm trying my best to take care of the little details as much as possible. I've done the whole "slap in an unmodded power supply and whatever color cables you have laying around", but I wanted this one to be nice!

Big update coming tomorrow!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Well, the motherboard came in (finally) as well as some cable management parts from FrozenCPU, my RAM and my new lens (the other one had no AF).

I did a quick dry run of mounting the motherboard:

Posted Image

Again, I feel like a broken record but I can't stress enough how easy everything is with The Laser Hive's conversion kit. The motherboard I/O shield fit perfectly, and all of the holes for the standoffs were dead center!

I also test-fitted the PSU (now completely sleeved) to see how much slack I had to leave coming from inside the PSU itself. Ignore the stock intel fan - I only have an Intel G550 (celeron) in the machine right now as I save up for an i5, so I thought it unnecessary to put the monster Freezer i30 on just yet.

Posted Image

The two cables on the far left are SATA power cables for the DVD drive and Hard-Drives.

Here's a close-up of the +12V cable:

Posted Image

I'm really pleased with everything so far! In a perfect world, the motherboard would be a gunmetal gray instead of brown, but this board really fit all of my needs (4 x RAM slots, USB 3.0, 4 x PCIE and OSX support).

I thoroughly tested the PSU cables with my multimeter. Even though I was doing them one by one, I got mixed up twice: once because I couldn't count properly and thought that a cable was missing (turns out the -5V white cable is optional) and another time when I put a pin back in the adjacent hole by accident. The 24pin cable was easy, as the colored wires are simple to check against a standard ATX pinout, but the +12V and PCIe power cables had all black wires, so the multimeter was necessary. Everything looks good to me, so now all I have to do is mount the hard-drive cage and plug everything in!

I'll have more pictures soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WhatTheTech, Hackintosh, G5, mod, modification, sponsored, worklog, project, ATX, mATX

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy