Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts

That's amazing! I deleted the Plugins folder and it crashed here anyway. Are you in arch=x86_64?

Yeah i'm in x86_64 - Can't boot with i386 with this kernel for some reason.

EDIT: For which app did you delete the plugin's folder for? I think Photoshop & Illustrator use some of the same plugins. Once I moved the plugins from inside the Photoshop package I can't get Illustrator to open because of missing plugins.

EDIT 2: I have an idea, the Plug-In's for windows might not be compiled with -xT on C++, wonder if we can use the windows ones! :D

EDIT 3: Windows Plug-In's Folder = Working I think Can someone double check that with the Photoshop Plug-Ins I forgot to backup the previous plugin's folder in Photoshop & Illustrator.

EDIT 4: Some of the plugin's work that were copied from Windows (Photoshop). You can also copy some from CS5.1
Illustrator might work as they have the same file extensions, gonna have to reinstall CS6 modified too much and didn't backup.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,903 posts
Congrats!

Unfortunately, for me arch=x86_64 is a no-go. i just confirmed that, reaffirming what i already knew: the kernels compiled with the current patch set don't play well with nVidia cards (and some ATIs) when running in 64-bit kernel mode on AMD CPUs (and only AMD: the same kernels will do just fine in, say, a Pentium D).

So, now, i think you should try to isolate the plugin(s) that causes both Photoshop and Illustrator to crash, so those fortunate enough to get the motor running in 64-bit mode can use the full CS6 suite.

Best regards!

P.S.:

EDIT 2: I have an idea, the Plug-In's for windows might not be compiled with -xT on C++, wonder if we can use the windows ones! :D

Yeah, it's worthy to investigate that!

UPDATE: I was very wrong! I was, silly me, removing the Plugins folder inside the Required folder (which obviously would crash the app), because the correct one has a fancy icon instead of a traditional blue folder icon. Tricked by my eyes! But now i can confirm the disable plugins trick also work for Illustrator even in 32-bit kernel mode! This time, the credits go all for you, my friend!
Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.15.33 AM.png   151.17KB   12 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.16.57 AM.png   215.47KB   13 downloads

UPDATE 2: Photoshop, by its turn, crashes at the same place. Perhaps its the only one which requires 64-bit kernel mode. I was wrong again! Look how curious: this time, the Plugins folder to be deleted is precisely the one inside the Required folder! Odd. Anyway, now i can also confirm the disable plugins trick also work for Photoshop even in 32-bit kernel mode!
Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 2.25.58 AM.png   222.96KB   12 downloads

If you are running in 32-bit kernel mode and want to try both PS and AI from CS6, reading these two updates is a must.

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts
theconnactic, Sorry I wasn't clear about which ones to remove so my bad.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,903 posts
No problem! I was expecting to see the same kind of icon i saw when i did the disable plugin trick for Premiere. The Plugins folder in Illustrator is so good looking that i took it for something else. :D

So Windows plug-ins will work?

Best regards!

Another test: this time with Crow, maxed settings, 1080p in a 40`` monitor. Worked just fine, same as with other games tested up to now. Loaded quickly, no stuttering, smooth sound (HDMI) and good FPS rates, Bronzovka, congratulations: your 10.7.5 kernel is a winner running in 32-bit mode.

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts

No problem! I was expecting to see the same kind of icon i saw when i did the disable plugin trick for Premiere. The Plugins folder in Illustrator is so good looking that i took it for something else. :D

So Windows plug-ins will work?

Best regards!

Another test: this time with Crow, maxed settings, 1080p in a 40`` monitor. Worked just fine, same as with other games tested up to now. Loaded quickly, no stuttering, smooth sound (HDMI) and good FPS rates, Bronzovka, congratulations: your 10.7.5 kernel is a winner running in 32-bit mode.

No sure the ones I tested did but then I also copied some from CS5.5, just used CS6 Cleaner Tool to remove it, gonna reinstall and start from clean files. Can you check if the Premiere Pro CS5.5 plugin works (Attached Now) on the CS6 one disabled?

EDIT: Crashes on the same plugin, anyone got CS4 to use for testing?

Attached Files

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,903 posts
Yeah, no dice also here.

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts

Yeah, no dice also here.

I think I found the problem Plug-In on Photoshop, In the Required -> Plug-In's -> Extensions -> MMXCore.plugin.

Illustrator is in Illustrator Folder -> Plug-In's -> Photoshop Filters (with nothing in that folder Illustrator opens)
that is a far as I got then Illustrator got corrupt with the warning Missing required plugins. PDF Format.aip (although the plugin IS there!)

BIG WARNING! DELETING PLUGINS CORRUPTS ILLUSTRATOR WHEN YOU TRY OPEN IN AGAIN!

EDIT: And it seems like something in Extensions Folder (Illustrator)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,903 posts
MMXCore.plugin ---> Well, quite suggestive, since ssse3 derives from MMX :)

misterfrista

misterfrista

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hmm I dont know where the problem lays but i cant get the Kernel to Boot up with both i386 and x86_64. Just before nvidia drivers should load it simply stops booting! I can Type {censored} in the window but nothing happens anymore!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,903 posts
Boot with -x added to your flags, repair permissions, boot again with normal flags.

Best regards!

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts

MMXCore.plugin ---> Well, quite suggestive, since ssse3 derives from MMX :)

Hahahaha Weird thing is Photoshop CS5.1 has that plugin and it works without deleting it :)

Ah next to work out Illustrator but it keeps getting corrupt :(

EDIT: [Illustrator] On a side, the plug-in's don't work from Windows (although I have not tested the 32-bit versions of the files, maybe would give a better result). I can safely confirm the Problems ones can be found in Extensions and Photoshop Filters. Clearing both always end up opening Illustrator AND always corrupting Illustrator once you quit.

misterfrista

misterfrista

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry didnt work! Hangs right after swapon success! Maybe ill wait for the next rc!

Good Day to all :-P

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts
Update: Found Illustrator Plug-Ins

Illustrator Folder -> Plug-in's -> Extensions -> BNPlugin.aip
Illustrator Folder -> Plug-in's -> Photoshop Filters -> PSLFilterAdapter.aip

EDIT: BNPlugin from Illustrator CS5.1 can be used as an alternative. (See Attached)

EDIT 2: Bridge CS6 also has the MMXCore.plugin, that is why it crashes. Found in Bridge App Folder -> Plug-ins -> MMXCore.plugin

EDIT: VMWare Fusion 5.0.2 - Working (see attached)

Attached Files

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts
theconnactic, thanks for helping me out with CS6.

I started a new topic to maybe keep the kernel testing a little less bloated maybe? If you & others can please add games and other testing applications.

Link Here - AMD Working Applications

misterfrista

misterfrista

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Got it now to boot with clean 10.7.5 from appstore and deleted nvda kexts in the installer!
Is it normal that my installed nvda kexts all have no plists in them? They have only MacOS folder with binary in it! And dont load up!
If someone could look that up it would be very nice! :-)

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts
Is anyone getting certificate errors using the kernel "mach_kernel_10_7_5_FX_RC7_TEST_FSB"? I get it when trying to Sign In to Adobe to install the trial, and all the time on chrome? (booting in x86_64)

EDIT: The problem is also on Outlook 2011

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 906 posts

Is anyone getting certificate errors using the kernel "mach_kernel_10_7_5_FX_RC7_TEST_FSB"? I get it when trying to Sign In to Adobe to install the trial, and all the time on chrome? (booting in x86_64)

EDIT: The problem is also on Outlook 2011

I do not understand what you mean? ) Can you time properly set =)

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 343 posts

I do not understand what you mean? ) Can you time properly set =)

Attached, I have the time set correctly and it does not appear to happen on the 10.7.4 kernel.

Even if I set the certificates to Trusted I still get this problem, I even tried the kernel on a clean Lion install and same results.

Attached Files

burkett375

burkett375

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm on Lion 10.7.2 and about to upgrade to .4 since I hear there's graphics issues with .5 Anything I need to prepare for besides replacing the kernel? Any kexts I need to roll back before restarting? I've learned the hard way too many times by not asking. Thanks!

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 906 posts

Attached, I have the time set correctly and it does not appear to happen on the 10.7.4 kernel.

Even if I set the certificates to Trusted I still get this problem, I even tried the kernel on a clean Lion install and same results.

Interested ! I no see it is problem =))) 26 Fubruary i update it is kernel RC8 . No flags nossse3bit and nosse42bit . You try it is kernel RC8 -> http://www.mediafire...jcxb2dyvxw68lfa .

Edited by Bronya, 03 March 2013 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy