Not your ordinary G5 rear I/O board... extending the zammykoo legacy!

G5 I/O mod powermac customize

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I bought a 6in DVI male-to-female cable on ebay as well as the extra PCI bracket. You could take apart the PCI bracket from the graphics card instead. There is only one seller selling a 6in DVI cable on eBay with a reasonable price ($5.50).

I am still figuring out how to fit the female end through the PCI bracket. The two sockets on either side of the DVI plug are not screw-ins like the DVI connector on the graphics card - Removing them wrecks the connector (still functionally works though).

Vpr99

Vpr99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, UX Design, macs!
Gotcha. I think that's how I'll send up doing it. Just out of curiosity, what is your time frame for the cables to be completed and shipped? I'm in no rush (not building for a few months), but I'd like to know so I can plan ahead.

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I am thinking maybe end of December/early January.

Vpr99

Vpr99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That works great. Thanks a bunch for doing these! Since I'm soldering-retarded, I wasn't looking forward to having to fab my own back panel.

Kolki

Kolki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm interested in one (One Ethernet Jack). Sign me up please.
Thanks

matice

matice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
so the board lets you mod the g5 case without cutting the rear,doesn't it? is it good for a micro atx mb?
sorry I'm very noob to this. I have a spare g5 case and I'm trying to build an hackintosh with it without cutting anything

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Does your mb have 2 USB ports, 1 line out, 1 mic in and 1 Ethernet jack?

If it does then this will work.

matice

matice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Does your mb have 2 USB ports, 1 line out, 1 mic in and 1 Ethernet jack?

If it does then this will work.

I still have to buy my mb. it will be one of these:

GA-Z77-DS3H

GA-H77-DS3H

moreover this is a pic of the back of my g5. can I use this i/o board with it?

http://img20.imagesh.../dsc0011hsr.jpg

Vpr99

Vpr99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I still have to buy my mb. it will be one of these:

GA-Z77-DS3H

GA-H77-DS3H

moreover this is a pic of the back of my g5. can I use this i/o board with it?

http://img20.imagesh.../dsc0011hsr.jpg

Both of those will work fine. Your back panel is identical to mine, so you should be good.

enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Good idea! I wonder how good the audio quality is for a USB base sound card though... For myself, I would rather plug my speakers into my motherboard built in soundcard. Also we could consider thunderbolt in the future as well.

The CM108 runs the front audio on the Mac Pros. I'm sure it sounds good enough. :)

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
that is interesting - I didn't know that the mac pros used a separate usb audio solution for the front audio. That is good to know because it means I could use any device that had the CM108 chip in it (which is a lot by the way) for average audio. Good for modding for sure. Wouldn't be a bad idea for a simpler version of the back I/O board either... just a plug into the USB and the NIC and you're set. opens up the possibility of adding a USB hub as well, rather than just pass thru.

humm.....

Vpr99

Vpr99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also, any idea what kind of connectors you're going to use on the final iteration? I'm gonna be super cramped for space, so having low-profile connectors is pretty important to me. When you get closer to finishing them, I'd like to talk to you about cable lengths and maybe just going straight to headers for the USB's.

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi everyone it is reaching year's end and I got a spike of workload at work... got to work extra hours to get things done so I guess I have to push back this a bit... Hopefully we can get things going by end of Feb.

chocula

chocula

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can you add me the the list please, i am interested.

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Can you add me the the list please, i am interested.

added :)

chocula

chocula

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you, should have said i am interested in the 1 ethernet option too.

kevinodonnell

kevinodonnell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Ive just ordered some parts to have a go with this.

Ive gone for a breadboard option though so it will involve a bit more soldering, but I don't mind.

I bought a 6in DVI male-to-female cable on ebay as well as the extra PCI bracket. You could take apart the PCI bracket from the graphics card instead. There is only one seller selling a 6in DVI cable on eBay with a reasonable price ($5.50).

I am still figuring out how to fit the female end through the PCI bracket. The two sockets on either side of the DVI plug are not screw-ins like the DVI connector on the graphics card - Removing them wrecks the connector (still functionally works though).

Ive done this by buying a DVI Bracket (also had a VGA space), twisted off the two 4/40 screw holders on the side, push the DVI plug through the hole and then rescrewed in the holders.

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Ive done this by buying a DVI Bracket (also had a VGA space), twisted off the two 4/40 screw holders on the side, push the DVI plug through the hole and then rescrewed in the holders.

lucky you... found a cable with traditional screw holders which actually screws into the plug. Many plugs now don't.

thank you, should have said i am interested in the 1 ethernet option too.

Added.

skinmunster

skinmunster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
@terrorgen: Could you share your actual board design, like zammykoo did? I'm interrested to build it for my own here in europe.
Or maybe a pre-release version of the layout?

Thank you!

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Mind me asking where you get the bracket from?

@terrorgen: Could you share your actual board design, like zammykoo did? I'm interrested to build it for my own here in europe.
Or maybe a pre-release version of the layout?

Thank you!

I am glad that you asked! I was staying up late during last night trying to make changes to the design - ditched the super-hard-to-solder iPod connector and used a 0.05" pitch 30 pin connector instead, with a daughterboard. I will release the files once the design is completed.

Also, any idea what kind of connectors you're going to use on the final iteration? I'm gonna be super cramped for space, so having low-profile connectors is pretty important to me. When you get closer to finishing them, I'd like to talk to you about cable lengths and maybe just going straight to headers for the USB's.

looking into your pictures... that is a super cramped position! a normal USB/Audio/Ethernet plug needs at least 1 inch clearance if my estimations are correct... We have to be creative in your situation. Let's discuss via PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: G5, I/O, mod, powermac, customize

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy