Not your ordinary G5 rear I/O board... extending the zammykoo legacy!

terrorgen

105 posts in this topic

that is interesting - I didn't know that the mac pros used a separate usb audio solution for the front audio. That is good to know because it means I could use any device that had the CM108 chip in it (which is a lot by the way) for average audio. Good for modding for sure. Wouldn't be a bad idea for a simpler version of the back I/O board either... just a plug into the USB and the NIC and you're set. opens up the possibility of adding a USB hub as well, rather than just pass thru.

humm.....

Also, any idea what kind of connectors you're going to use on the final iteration? I'm gonna be super cramped for space, so having low-profile connectors is pretty important to me. When you get closer to finishing them, I'd like to talk to you about cable lengths and maybe just going straight to headers for the USB's.

Hi everyone it is reaching year's end and I got a spike of workload at work... got to work extra hours to get things done so I guess I have to push back this a bit... Hopefully we can get things going by end of Feb.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just ordered some parts to have a go with this.

Ive gone for a breadboard option though so it will involve a bit more soldering, but I don't mind.

I bought a 6in DVI male-to-female cable on ebay as well as the extra PCI bracket. You could take apart the PCI bracket from the graphics card instead. There is only one seller selling a 6in DVI cable on eBay with a reasonable price ($5.50).

I am still figuring out how to fit the female end through the PCI bracket. The two sockets on either side of the DVI plug are not screw-ins like the DVI connector on the graphics card - Removing them wrecks the connector (still functionally works though).

Ive done this by buying a DVI Bracket (also had a VGA space), twisted off the two 4/40 screw holders on the side, push the DVI plug through the hole and then rescrewed in the holders.

Ive done this by buying a DVI Bracket (also had a VGA space), twisted off the two 4/40 screw holders on the side, push the DVI plug through the hole and then rescrewed in the holders.

lucky you... found a cable with traditional screw holders which actually screws into the plug. Many plugs now don't.

thank you, should have said i am interested in the 1 ethernet option too.

Added.

Mind me asking where you get the bracket from?

@terrorgen: Could you share your actual board design, like zammykoo did? I'm interrested to build it for my own here in europe.

Or maybe a pre-release version of the layout?

Thank you!

I am glad that you asked! I was staying up late during last night trying to make changes to the design - ditched the super-hard-to-solder iPod connector and used a 0.05" pitch 30 pin connector instead, with a daughterboard. I will release the files once the design is completed.

Also, any idea what kind of connectors you're going to use on the final iteration? I'm gonna be super cramped for space, so having low-profile connectors is pretty important to me. When you get closer to finishing them, I'd like to talk to you about cable lengths and maybe just going straight to headers for the USB's.

looking into your pictures... that is a super cramped position! a normal USB/Audio/Ethernet plug needs at least 1 inch clearance if my estimations are correct... We have to be creative in your situation. Let's discuss via PM.

Mind me asking where you get the bracket from?

I am glad that you asked! I was staying up late during last night trying to make changes to the design - ditched the super-hard-to-solder iPod connector and used a 0.05" pitch 30 pin connector instead, with a daughterboard. I will release the files once the design is completed.

looking into your pictures... that is a super cramped position! a normal USB/Audio/Ethernet plug needs at least 1 inch clearance if my estimations are correct... We have to be creative in your situation. Let's discuss via PM.

You've got a PM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, great thread going here.

I'll definitely be down for one of these at some point in the next few months...

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason for the lack of firewire 400/800 ports?

I assume its to do with the availability of the necessary components/sockets, or is the wiring just too complex/large to fit a board like this?

I was going to ask the same question for optical in/out too but thinking about it, wouldn't an optical 'socket' actually be quite simple?

No soldering or pcb wiring would be required. I think it would just be a case of glueing/attaching a little coupler to the PCB board in just the right position to line up nicely with the socket on the G5 backplate.

Something a bit like this maybe?

Hmmm, next I'll be wanting Thunderbolt connections in the place of the Firewire! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Edit - sorry, just realised this is my first post on InsanelyMac! I've been lurking here for a while now (mainly looking at all the pretty G5 mods!) but I plan to spend a lot more time here from now on... :)

Hi,

I was reading your article and I found it very interesting. I really like the idea of not having to modify the rear panel I/O ports. I found a couple of "Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin adapters" that may work since there does not appear to be a "through hole" Firewire connector in the correct orientation. See if this will work. It maybe too long I was not able to locate any dimensions. It is sourced by Ultra. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

6pin_6pin_FW_Adptr-TD.pdf

6pin_to_6pin_Adptr-Amzn.pdf

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason for the lack of firewire 400/800 ports?

I assume its to do with the availability of the necessary components/sockets, or is the wiring just too complex/large to fit a board like this?

I was going to ask the same question for optical in/out too but thinking about it, wouldn't an optical 'socket' actually be quite simple?

No soldering or pcb wiring would be required. I think it would just be a case of glueing/attaching a little coupler to the PCB board in just the right position to line up nicely with the socket on the G5 backplate.

Mounting ports on a PCB ensures minimal diviation from the original design, thus minimizing failure rates. Glueing is messy and has a higher failure rate (Talking about hand-gluing, machine gluing is another story). You will have to find a coupler that has the right size in order to fit too!

At this stage, I am merely copying zammykoo's design and be a little creative on how the connections to the mobo are made. Furthermore, I don't see a widespread use of firewire ports so I used the extra space for my mobo connections. I am open to suggestions on my next batch. I might be wrong on the firewire presumption as well.

Hi,

I was reading your article and I found it very interesting. I really like the idea of not having to modify the rear panel I/O ports. I found a couple of "Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin adapters" that may work since there does not appear to be a "through hole" Firewire connector in the correct orientation. See if this will work. It maybe too long I was not able to locate any dimensions. It is sourced by Ultra. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

My response to you will be identical to the response to minimod. Cheers.

Just throwing my two cents in: you're not too far off with Firewire, Terrorgen. The vast majority of people (note: I'm not saying every last person on the earth) using Firewire still, fall into the following categories:

1) Video professionals on outdated gear.

2) People who invested in Firewire external hard-drives

3) People still using a certain Apple webcam

4) Audio professionals using audio interfaces.

Of these four, only the last is a reasonable excuse for wanting firewire. I know several audio techs and musicians who use firewire audio interfaces, and this equipment isn't exactly outdated either. Anyone in the other categories just needs to bite the bullet and upgrade...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi terrorgen

I'm also inerested in buying one of these boards.

Could you tell how to proceed with the order?

Thanks and Regards

Dragan

I am not ready yet. I will figure out a payment method once I am done. I am putting to you to the waiting list for now (see OP)