Not your ordinary G5 rear I/O board... extending the zammykoo legacy!

terrorgen

105 posts in this topic

The connectors, cables and the board all arrived today. What a good timing! I spent the whole night trying to put them together... Man that frankencable is just too hard to solder! I am just thinking to revert to the second draft with smaller holes...

Picture time!

The bare boards... for some reason purple and gold just look so good in my eyes...

post-3552-0-56167600-1351739128_thumb.jpg

This is how it look assembled with the ports. I removed the iPod connector hours later after tired of soldering the frankencable.

post-3552-0-08851000-1351738967_thumb.jpg

So I decided to solder the cables directly to the board... Final result:

post-3552-0-57760500-1351739034_thumb.jpg

Mounting the board to the case! It doesn't take too much space as you can see...

post-3552-0-76745100-1351738982_thumb.jpg

Plugging in the cables to their respective ports on the motherboard.

post-3552-0-49161500-1351738989_thumb.jpg

How the ports look from the rear. Well the audio jacks should be placed a little more forward.

post-3552-0-69162200-1351739047_thumb.jpg

So, looks like a second build is inevitable...

I am interested in one... Will this work with a full size ATX mobo? Just received a donor G5, and starting to research the best way to do the conversion. Sounds like a great option terrorgen!

As long as your mobo has two audio jacks, two USB ports and one Ethernet jack this will work! Added you to the list :)

• Like 1

are YOU soldering the components onto the board or are those just engineering samples that are bare in the first picture?

I would say specimen is a better word to describe them...

OK, are YOU soldering the components onto the board or are those just specimens that are bare in the first picture?

That is what I was wondering. Thank you!

I decide to eliminate the second Ethernet jack. That make things easier and the cost will be down to $40 plus shipping.

If you need the second Ethernet jack though, I can still make it for you with the previously stated $50 plus shipping.

I'd also love one of these when you make them... sign me up!

Also, I've got a quick beginner's question for you: I'm going to be building up a G5 with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and an EVGA GTX 670. From what I've that others have done, I like the idea of putting the motherboard near the back of the case, so that the GPU can be in its normal place (like gouedi did here). However, this leaves the rear I/O panel very, very close to the I/O panel on the motherboard. What would you suggest as an alternative connection for the GPU, or a way to better position things? zammykoo's method here is ok, but looks a little bit funky. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! Is it possible that you can specify how one should mount the board to the case? Will the board be attached to the back of the case with screws? Tnx!

You will need some sort of spacer like foam or a standoff. The Powermac standoff works well I think. Haven't tried.

I'd also love one of these when you make them... sign me up!

Also, I've got a quick beginner's question for you: I'm going to be building up a G5 with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and an EVGA GTX 670. From what I've that others have done, I like the idea of putting the motherboard near the back of the case, so that the GPU can be in its normal place (like gouedi did here). However, this leaves the rear I/O panel very, very close to the I/O panel on the motherboard. What would you suggest as an alternative connection for the GPU, or a way to better position things? zammykoo's method here is ok, but looks a little bit funky. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Which one do you need? The One Ethernet version or the Two Ethernet version?

I did the way Zammykoo did, but without the PSU cover. I placed my PSU on the narrower side of the rectangle... (I don't know how to describe the position... LOL)

Single ethernet would be awesome.

Gotcha on the positioning thing. I'll just try to find some pretty and low-profile DVI cables. For the actual connection to the back of the case (this part), did you buy the connector? If so, where would you get one for the 670, or did you fabricate it yourself? If it isn't too much trouble, could you take a picture of yours?

I bought a 6in DVI male-to-female cable on ebay as well as the extra PCI bracket. You could take apart the PCI bracket from the graphics card instead. There is only one seller selling a 6in DVI cable on eBay with a reasonable price ($5.50).

I am still figuring out how to fit the female end through the PCI bracket. The two sockets on either side of the DVI plug are not screw-ins like the DVI connector on the graphics card - Removing them wrecks the connector (still functionally works though).

Gotcha. I think that's how I'll send up doing it. Just out of curiosity, what is your time frame for the cables to be completed and shipped? I'm in no rush (not building for a few months), but I'd like to know so I can plan ahead.

That works great. Thanks a bunch for doing these! Since I'm soldering-retarded, I wasn't looking forward to having to fab my own back panel.

• 2 weeks later...

so the board lets you mod the g5 case without cutting the rear,doesn't it? is it good for a micro atx mb?

sorry I'm very noob to this. I have a spare g5 case and I'm trying to build an hackintosh with it without cutting anything

I still have to buy my mb. it will be one of these:

GA-Z77-DS3H

GA-H77-DS3H

moreover this is a pic of the back of my g5. can I use this i/o board with it?

http://img20.imagesh.../dsc0011hsr.jpg

Both of those will work fine. Your back panel is identical to mine, so you should be good.

Good idea! I wonder how good the audio quality is for a USB base sound card though... For myself, I would rather plug my speakers into my motherboard built in soundcard. Also we could consider thunderbolt in the future as well.

The CM108 runs the front audio on the Mac Pros. I'm sure it sounds good enough. :)