10.8.2 Final! (C54)

mitch_de

128 posts in this topic

Hi,

Maybe this will help someone: I updated to 10.8.2 via combo updater, but couldn't boot past the gray startup screen, because of OemSMBIOS.kext. After replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the old one from a previous post in this (or an other) thread, my system booted without any problems.

Now, as I really don't like having legacy kexts on my system, I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a nice benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors:

https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors

Not only can I now boot with the original 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, without having OemSMBIOS.kext throwing an error, but I also get much more information from my hardware sensors opposed to the original FlakeSMC-Plugins I had been using. Furthermore a serial number is generated for my machine (so no problems with iCloud and Appstore) and VT-d can stay enabled in BIOS!

Using the kexts from Kozlek was a win-win for me - thanks Kozlek!!!

icon_e_smile.gif

This is great but sadly it did not work out for me :(

Ok, so, I tried running the update package, then installing the rollback ACPI kext *before* rebooting. That did make a difference, in that now, instead of a kernel panic, it just hangs on the PCI Configuration thing, regardless of safe boot, normal boot, npci=[insert value here], doesn't matter... just hangs at that point. The only thing I didn't add was NullCPUPowerManagement, because I didn't get an answer to my last inquiry about it. Since I have written my DSDT and configured my boot plist to use P-states and C-states, and since the DSDT tutorial advised me not to use it, I didn't want to put it in. Let me know if you want new screen shots.

Thanks,

LULightTec

Shameless bump. Anyone got any ideas?

Hey, Lulight!

Sorry not to answer before. In fact, i pointed to the solutions i know. I'm really amazed it didn't work.

I'll keep watching and waiting.... I don't need the update *right* now, and I'm sure someone will figure it out for my laptop pretty soon...

:-)

Hi,

Maybe this will help someone: I updated to 10.8.2 via combo updater, but couldn't boot past the gray startup screen, because of OemSMBIOS.kext. After replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the old one from a previous post in this (or an other) thread, my system booted without any problems.

Now, as I really don't like having legacy kexts on my system, I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a nice benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors:

Not only can I now boot with the original 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, without having OemSMBIOS.kext throwing an error, but I also get much more information from my hardware sensors opposed to the original FlakeSMC-Plugins I had been using. Furthermore a serial number is generated for my machine (so no problems with iCloud and Appstore) and VT-d can stay enabled in BIOS!

icon_e_smile.gif

Yep, I'm using kozlek's version of fakesmc too

And I upgraded successfully without replacing kexts other than some kexts that I always replace after upgrading or installing.

You're running your hack without fakesmc ?

Not anymore, and it wasn't on purpose, but it ran surprisingly well without it, which is why I didn't even realize it for almost a week. Was running 10.8.1 at the time, most likely one of the developer preview but don't remember exactly.

Not anymore, and it wasn't on purpose, but it ran surprisingly well without it, which is why I didn't even realize it for almost a week. Was running 10.8.1 at the time, most likely one of the developer preview but don't remember exactly.

you're using kernelcache which contains fakesmc ?

I rebuild it, running RAID-0 so I keep an eye on it and make sure it rebuilds error free or else I can't boot at all. Keep in mind, I'm in no way recommending running without it, or even suggesting it's a slightly good idea and there are zero positive effects to doing so, no hardware monitoring for one and is just a bad idea. Many have booted without it at least once, like on first launch after a new install racing to install b4 a kernel panic. Maybe stars were just aligned properly, since unintentional I can't say much about other details as I wasn't looking and happened to be at a time I was very busy with other projects.

I'll keep watching and waiting.... I don't need the update *right* now, and I'm sure someone will figure it out for my laptop pretty soon...

:-)

What happen if everyone is doing the same thing ...... keep watching and waiting.... :hysterical:

This thread is getting hysterically interesting ...

Confusingly, the version is still 1.6. But the binary inside has changed. I md5-summed the old and new ones to see for myself.

Anyone who needed to rollback ACPIPlatform, are you using the ACPISensors or OemSMBIOS kexts? I'm just wondering what triggers the problem with the updated kext. I use Kozlek's HWSensors branch of FakeSMC but only with the CPU, GPU and MB sensor kexts.

Confusingly, the version is still 1.6. But the binary inside has changed. I md5-summed the old and new ones to see for myself.

Anyone who needed to rollback ACPIPlatform, are you using the ACPISensors or OemSMBIOS kexts? I'm just wondering what triggers the problem with the updated kext. I use Kozlek's HWSensors branch of FakeSMC but only with the CPU, GPU and MB sensor kexts.

I had to remove OemSMBIOS kext in order to boot after 10.8.2 update. This kext is usually found in various compilations of HWSensor extensions.

-Stell

Update from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 went with problems!

Replaced: AppleACPI.kext given from fellow on 5th page

No Audio AppleHDA.kext must be patched + Audio ALC889A with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 5.0.2 but had to use again DSDT.aml 0x0C in HDEF ID instead of 0x75 again credit goes to fellow from 5th page Thanx mitch_de

P.S.USB3.0 can`t transfer data from PC to HDD Seagate 3TB drive even though it`s mounting well on system (maybe it has to do with AVCHD video file transfer incompatibility?) other small size data transfers without problems.

P.P.S. using UPd720200 Nec/Renesas chip No name china $10 PCIe card with PXHCD.kext from kext.com

Hi,

icon_e_smile.gif

Switching to this worked for me as well. I only needed to fix audio.

Thanks.

I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a nice benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors:

icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks. I tried this and the update went smoothly. I didn't have to replace anything....and I no longer have problems with the Appstore. :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys, if you're seeing a vt-d error on your boot screen and the login window won't come up, then rather than rolling back AppleACPIPlatform.kext, you can update chameleon to my build with DropDMAR support and configure

<key>DropDMAR</key>
<string>Yes</string>

in your org.chameleon.boot.Plist. My new build of /boot for chameleon is over here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282989-vtd0-fault-after-1082-google-hasnt-heard-of-it-any-help/#entry1866271