• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts

Hi,

I would like to say thank you for a guide and would like to give few tips to ASUS Z77 owners which can not bypass BIOS security checks. If EZ BIOS Flash fail security checks and it will if you are using bios with modified modules. Flash your bios using ASUS USB BIOS Flashback future.

I can confirm that it works on P8Z77-M PRO with unlocked/modified bios 1303

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Reading about and asking to dgsga, Bupdater via DOS on USB stick should work too. not tested by me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vr4y8rUNXA

yodaohoh

yodaohoh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks for the guide and Guntars and Buoo confirm working on flashing the bios
flashed asus z77 maximus v gene 1101 bios
using USB flash back method work.

Marquino

Marquino

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
The native Power Management works like a charm on Asus P8H61 PRO with 4001 BIOS, now my Hack can Sleep and Wake without issues :thumbsup_anim:

tinux

tinux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Internet and Electronics
Hi Guys
I am so happy to be a member and can not stress how great you people have been. that is the people who worked so hard to get us where we are now and the list is long and you know who you are. thank you and also the people like myself who chose to try and test things over and over. well done everyone.

Edited by fantomas1, 12 August 2012 - 11:35 PM.
Asking about SLIC ACPI table injection, these are used to pirate Windows OS, isn't available on InsanelyMac !

davidm71

davidm71

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Dude,

Becareful with talking about that bios mod..

Edited by fantomas1, 12 August 2012 - 11:36 PM.

tinux

tinux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Internet and Electronics
sorry i wasn't aware. anyway it is sorted now thanks

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanx Guys, I was able to mod my bios and flash it back via USB on the UEFI/BIOS menu. I found the sting around 2e30 on my hex-editor.

A side effect I'm experiacing now is tearing and glitching under Windows 7 64bit on the second DVI of my XFX HD5850, while the card is over clocked (765/1115). The over clock was achieved using the AMD auto tune feature. As soon as I disable the over clock I have no problems. I've had this card for a long time so i'm not sure if its almost done or related to the mod.

6 Sep 2012 Edit
Found out that my graphics glitch is related to a know issue with the HD5850 cards. System is running smooth.

MSI z77a-GD65 (BIOS 10.5)
3570k i5

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Looks like theres a few more unlocked mobos http://bios4asus.blogspot.se/

Thanks for this link! I flashed the latest 3402 bios from there for my P8Z68-V/Gen3. Speedstepping seems to be working fine on my Sandybridge i3 even with MacPro5,1 smbios.

lastonesky

lastonesky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
this doesn't work on latest version P8Z77-V LE BIOS(0608,released on Sep.11)

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
Thank you for this thread, this is the most clear&concise description of exactly what to do to get native power management for newer uefi systems.

I wanted to chime in to report that this method worked to unlock the powermanagement msr via bios on my asus p8h77-m pro. This motherboard, like many of the current asus boards, lack the USB flashback feature, and so flashing the bios is a bit more complicated than in post #1.
There is another thread on that other newbie forum recommending DPCIManager combined with an oracle that will patch your bioses for you.
Instead, one can simply dump your bios using flashrom, patch the bios using mmtool&phonenixtool per post #1, and flashing the result back using flashrom. I think this is superior to relying upon an oracle to do the patching for you.

I compiled the latest flashrom myself and did that portion under linux and it worked fine (just another datapoint that flashrom works fine to bypass asus's flash security under linux not just osx).

I agree with earlier posts that the phoenixtool description in post #1 is a bit lacking, especially since phoenixtool doesn't have full documentation of its own. I used the latest phoenixtool from: http://forums.mydigi...Dell-EFI-BIOSes , version 2.11 and, from my notes, the workflow was:
Generate .rom file with flashrom using:
flashrom -p internal -r file.rom
Run phoenixtool
Open .cap file (or as in my case, the .rom file you generated using flashrom)
Select Manufacturer ASUS
click advanced
in response to are you sure, click yes
select 'Allow user to modify other modules'
select 'No SLIC'
click done
click go
See dialog box that it is OK to modify files in the DUMP directory
Work on patch as shown below
Move your patched PowerManagement module into the DUMP dump directory
Click OK

Also, after one has decompiled the PowerManagement module and verified that it matches up with post #1, it is perhaps easiest to do the patch with the perl one-liner:
perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|\xeb\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|' <filename>

where <filename> is the name you get for the PowerManagement module from mmtool.
To in turn get the PowerManagement module from mmtool, you run mmtool, select 'Load Image', select your .rom/.cap file, select create report.
Then from a shell:
grep PowerManagement <file.rpt>
where <file.rpt> is the .rpt file generated by mmtool.
For example, on my system:
% grep PowerManagement P8H77-M-PRO-ASUS-1003.rpt 
|139|PowerManagement|8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D|0040A120|0032C9|DRVR|
% cd DUMP
#Note: _1 suffix selects 2nd module file that matches the GUID above; the first 
#file is just header information for the module
% ls -l 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1*
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 22984 Nov  8 22:01 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_407.ROM*
% cp 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_407.ROM ../powermanagement
% cd ..
% objdump -m i386 -b binary -D powermanagement > pm.asm
#Verify assembly; then patch with:
% perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|\xeb\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|' powermanagement
# When ready to apply patch (at final dialog from phoenixtool): 
# cp powermanagement DUMP/8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8_1_407.ROM
Then after phoenixtool builds the new .rom file, flashing with
% flashrom -p internal -w 1003.v2_SLIC.rom 
And the patch uefi bios is flashed. Then,the result (as seen under linux):
% rdmsr 0xe2
1e000400
%
Ie bit 15 is clear in the offending MSR (MSR_PKG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL)

Now my system runs without NullCPUPowermanagement.
My system still doesn't suspend correctly (it hangs before suspending completely, and won't wake back up) so I'm not sure what else I have to do here. Probably some special usb setting is necessary? Hints anyone? suspend&resume work fine under linux.

Greggen

Greggen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Anyone tried the new 4xxx BIOS for P8Z68-V LX (and maybe some other boards, dunno)? Any reason to upgrade from 3xxx from a hackintosh pow?

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Anyone tried the new 4xxx BIOS for P8Z68-V LX (and maybe some other boards, dunno)? Any reason to upgrade from 3xxx from a hackintosh pow?

I think you should wait before updating your BIOS or you need to be sure that you can revert to the old version if getting issues.

Greggen

Greggen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

I think you should wait before updating your BIOS or you need to be sure that you can revert to the old version if getting issues.

Yea, that's why I asked =D I run modded 3703 now and afaik everything, that I'm interested in, works so... I'll wait patiently ;D

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Thank you for this thread, this is the most clear&concise description of exactly what to do to get native power management for newer uefi systems.
..., and won't wake back up) so I'm not sure what else I have to do here. Probably some special usb setting is necessary? Hints anyone? suspend&resume work fine under linux.

You'll probably still have to edit your DSDT.

BTW, I have a Zenbook UX21A --i.e., no flash back and I'm stuck at the point where I can't flash my modded ROM using the bupdater, AFUDOS or the UEFI utility (basically I think the error message says it's locked). Would you recommend using flashrom? I have the HM76 LPC controller, and it's not an "official" supported chipset (Not sure what the EC is).

Should I try the flashrom anyway?

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

You'll probably still have to edit your DSDT.

Would that I know what edit is necessary... Seems to be hd graphics 4000 related; oh well off topic I suppose.

BTW, I have a Zenbook UX21A --i.e., no flash back and I'm stuck at the point where I can't flash my modded ROM using the bupdater, AFUDOS or the UEFI utility (basically I think the error message says it's locked). Would you recommend using flashrom? I have the HM76 LPC controller, and it's not an "official" supported chipset (Not sure what the EC is).

Should I try the flashrom anyway?

Since dumping & flashing your rom are two separate steps with flashrom, with plenty of steps in-between, you'll know if flashrom was able to dump your chip correctly before it's time to flash it.
Does that guarantee that it'll be able to flash write it too? No, but it's likely if the read operations worked right.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I actually extracted the bios using the afuefx64.efi tool from EFI shell, so I haven't even tried flashrom except I tried to originally extract the bios using DPCIManager from within OS X, which has flashrom built into it, and that's when it said my chipset was unsupported, and if I wanted to try and flash it, it would be at my own peril--i.e., the skies would rain fire, dogs and cats would live together, etc.

Using bupdater.exe on a bootable USB stick I created using one of the guides here, I get "Failed to find the update module." Using the same afuefix64.efi tool (or the afudos.exe tool on the same USB stick), I get a "Problem erasing flash.0080000" message. I don't have flash back on this, as it's a laptop.

My issue isn't verifying the ROM, it seems to be right. I'm pretty sure I captured the ROM and modified it correctly because I checked it with phoenix tools again (i.e., deleted everything but the modded ROM, and dumped it out) and verified the right hex portion had been modified.

Well, I'm hoping someone has an idea.

Would that I know what edit is necessary... Seems to be hd graphics 4000 related; oh well off topic I suppose.

Common things to add are HD4000, USB (sleep issues), and DTGP. Audio too. I'm still working on mine, but was hoping to at least eliminate another complication.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
1) flashrom says pretty much the same thing for my h77 chipset, but it does work.
2) it *is* at your own peril
3) DPCIManger is at r1612 of flashrom last I checked, current is r1623; z77 support was added in r1613 for example. Bottom line, you may want newer bits than what DPCIManager bundles.

As for dsdt, I'm aware of such modifications, I have just been unable to find a set of necessary&sufficient changes. Still have sleep issues on my asus h77 (and gigabyte z77 too).

Well, I'm hoping someone has an idea.

My idea is still that you try dumping your rom with the latest flashrom

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

1) flashrom says pretty much the same thing for my h77 chipset, but it does work.
2) it *is* at your own peril
3) DPCIManger is at r1612 of flashrom last I checked, current is r1623; z77 support was added in r1613 for example. Bottom line, you may want newer bits than what DPCIManager bundles.
My idea is still that you try dumping your rom with the latest flashrom

I will do so, but just so there's no misunderstanding, the other tools allowed me to download my bios, just not upload it. Time depending, I may just wait to reflash the bios when ASUS releases a new one for the latop, which seems to be very few months--it's coming up soon. I have other issues like DSDT to clean up. Speaking of which...

As for dsdt, I'm aware of such modifications, I have just been unable to find a set of necessary&sufficient changes. Still have sleep issues on my asus h77 (and gigabyte z77 too).

There's probably a slew of these changes. As you know, DSDT defines what events the computer system (e.g., motherboard, devices, etc.) needs to process from the OS, as well as generate events that the OS can handle, so that's probably why USB causes so many problems...

davidm71

davidm71

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hey guys,

I successfully patched the 3603 Bios for the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe (Gen 1) board to have PM working in Mnt Lion. If anyone wants
a copy PM me. Also has Trim support in Windows 7 with 11.6.0.1702 modded orom...

:weight_lift:

Doublepranks

Doublepranks

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hey guys ive just got an Asrock z77 pro3 ! Could someone please patch its new bios?
z77pro3

Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy