AMD Lion Kernel

deadreaper

98 posts in this topic

For me it boots but the stops doing stuff at the line: BSD root: disk2s2, major 14, minor 6

Still running though as I can type stuff on USB keyboard.

I booted with: mach_kernel_amd USBBusFix=Yes -x -v -s and mach_kernel_amd -x -f -s

you need only -legacy -v

if you got panic like me

they saying we need to install it from snow

as new kernel doesnt support installer now !!

you need only -legacy -v

if you got panic like me

they saying we need to install it from snow

as new kernel doesnt support installer now !!

So in my case where the modbin_kernel won't get me above 10.6.4 I can't update through SL. Am I screwed?

Also, remember that this is NOT an x86_64 kernel - it is only i386, meaning that the kernel needs to be updated to allow for the -force64 flag. That's why Finder doesn't work.

kind of off topic (and not sure how much I'm allowed to say on these forums) but today there was a 10.7.3 distro. released by a reputable user on a few torrent sites that contains the AMD kernel. Has anybody tested it on an AMD system yet?

I would personally wait until the kernel is perfected to install Lion. Otherwise you will run into many problems.

See my PM, BTW. ;)

It does indeed work but it has several flaws.

1) It is 32-bit, which means you cannot run Finder on it (yet)

2) xpchelper crashes and ReportCrash eats all the CPU.

3) After a while apps stop opening. No idea why.

4) It doesn't support Installations, you need a real mac or a distro in order to install it.

Hey Unrealized, nice to see ya. :)

1) This is only for SSE3-only CPUs. Those with SSSE3 don't have to worry about it.

2) Gosh that's hard...

3) My, my...

4) Hopefully when I can get Xcode up and running again I can compile the kernel for the other releases. :)

Hey Unrealized, nice to see ya. :)

Nice to see you too :)

I hope someone writes an SSSE3 emulator, I think it isn't that hard after all to do. I made a lot of crash dumps about the xpchelper on osx86.co, hope someone takes a look at them.

32-bit Finder from DP2 works pretty well (just tried). :)

Actually, meklort told me that the SSSE3 instructions are all in the commpage - meaning that one has to simply convert the SSSE3 instructions to SSE3. :) An on-the-fly emulator is not needed. :D

Actually, meklort told me that the SSSE3 instructions are all in the commpage - meaning that one has to simply convert the SSSE3 instructions to SSE3. :) An on-the-fly emulator is not needed. :D

Heh, That's nifty. Now I'm wondering why no one does it? Myself I would be pretty happy with a 32-bit lion install as well (because I could use the Finder from DP2).

Well, There is always hope.. :)

Dunno if he developed it yet, but...

This kernel is more of a beta test. ;) I would only recommend it if you are the type to help find bugs/fix bugs, not necessarily if you are an end user. :)