AMD Lion Kernel

deadreaper

98 posts in this topic

I know that Nawcom is probably the only person developing a kernel for AMD , and now he has medical issues and is taking some time off . So I was wondering If it is possible for someone else to create a kernel . Mountain Lion will be released soon enough and so far , no one has taken up the initiative .

And so I though maybe i could look into the issue , trust me I am not really experience at the time of writing , but I am an amateur either . I have sufficient experience in OS X and I have a working OS X Snow Leopard on AMD . SO I started learning Xcode and cocoa . I Went through dozens of resources on how the kernel works and how the mach kernel works . And recently I just got this idea .

Nawcom patches the open source XNU kernel right ? And it works for AMD . So what I did was I opened up a couple of Nawcom's patches . I came to the conclusion that he used patches which were discovered quite a while back . So from this I came to the conclusion that the main thing he is doing is patching the XNU kernel with patches perviously made by mercury squad and a few others . I know that they put in a lot of effort in finding how AMD can be included in the kernel . So What I was thinking was , what if someone used the same .diff file for nawcom's previous legacy kernels for the 10.6 and combine them with the new legacy atom kernel for lion .

I tried doing that , and now the combining is almost complete . I really do hope this works . I am looking for testers .

Also , anyone who has experience with the mach_kernel or at least on the patches , please correct me if I am wrong .

People don't give up hope , Hackintosh has been there for quite sometime and It will be there for quite sometime , no matter who stops working for the project .

• Like 1

http://www.enigma.id...ompile_xnu.html

was looking at this for compiling. I think the bulldozer cpu will not work with the rest of the amd kernels. as everyone else seems to be able to run the 10.8 kernel for amds to update their SL to 10.6.8. The bulldozer crowd doesn't seem to be able to get past 10.6.4 since modbin_kernel is the only one that works (as so far seen) and does not support higher than osx 10.6.4

Could something like that be done, or anyone familiar enough to give a guide if no one has time to try to make a working kernel for the bulldozer.

If anyone knows their kernels well and wouldn't mind seeing what the main differences are between the modbin_kernel and the amd legacy kernel from nawcom.

After more research, even the linux kernel had to have specific adjustments for the bulldozer. Perhaps those could be implemented into the amd lion kernel

Edited by mongo722

AnV has developed a legacy kernel for Lion, but it has failed most AMD users. Maybe a few got lucky and are using AnV's kernel?

He posted the kernel here on the forum.

well on first try with this kernel I just get a restart and I have the family 15 cpu. Will keep trying and keep you posted.

figured out why. My cpu is the family 0x15 but it's not model 6 it's model 0x1

If anyone can get their hands on the source, we can possibly look and see if we can expand this kernel to other CPUs. :)

• Like 1