• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...

Your idea of redoing the OS sounds like a good one to me. Tony's tools include TONS of extra modifications that most new users install for "just in case" scenarios, before they do any research and discover those extra things they installed are very likely causing more problems for them and have wasted more of their time than if they just did a clean install and manually used trial and error to discover what they need and don't need to use. The guide you were using looked pretty solid. You probably just need a few more details to get it working. Ask if you would like, I don't mind helping if I can and have time.

Again, I don't know of your experience with Linux but I think everyone should give it a try. I've switched many friends, family and general strangers over to Linux from being lifelong Windows users and most of them wish they had tried it sooner. If you ever do try, again I suggest Ubuntu 10.04 or earlier and as Latin suggests I would also highly recommend Mint. They are both wonderful OSs and worth the time to try.

Too bad sleep isn't consistent for you. Yet again why I will likely never fix it. Too much hassle for not enough pay off and not being able to accurately discover why it works sometimes and why it doesn't others is not helping solve the issue any. Don't worry about it. I was just curious about your setup. Thanks for the info anyway.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...
Been trying to update my 760 from 10.7.4 to 10.8 since ML has finally released in the App Store but i've run into a wall. Upon trying to run the ML installer from a USB HDD the system reboots after loading all the kexts. At first, I though my E5200 wasn't supported to run ML and figured the new mach_kernel was causing the reboot but then I tested it again on an i7-equipped laptop and it rebooted on that too after loading the kexts.

Anyone else experience this or have a solution to fix it?

I'm an idiot. Out of habit, I formatted my USB HDD as MBR for the ML install which it clearly refuses to use. After reformatting it to GUID and testing again everything worked as it should and within a few minutes, the installer screen popped up. Honest mistake, lesson learned ;-p

I am currently backing up important data before I go through with the upgrade. After everything is safe I will continue with the ML install and will update this page with progress and assuming all goes well, I will again provide a zip archive with my required files for ease of use to other users. See ya soon...

UPDATE: First post is updated again with all the required stuff for running Mountain Lion! Since it is such a "minor" update, most of the files are the same ones used for Lion. The exception is FakeSMC, which was updated. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dell, optiplex, 760, SFF, ML, Mountain Lion, Lion, SL, Snow Leopard, E5200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy