XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB GDDR5 low score at Cinebench

Tredvesone

53 posts in this topic

my cinebench score

COMMENT=Results provided are typical, although not derived from specific testing procedures.

COMMENT=

CORES=4

LOGICALCORES=2

MHZ=4206.000000

PROCESSOR=Intel Core i7 CPU 950

OPENGLVENDOR=ATI Technologies Inc.

OPENGLCARD=ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype OpenGL Engine

OPENGLVERSION=2.1 ATI-7.18.11

CBTYPE=64 BIT

OSVERSION=OS X 10.7.3

CBCPU1=0.000000

CBCPUX=0.000000

CBOPENGL=51.630432

CBOPENGLQUALITY=99.307182

C4DINFO=

C4DVERSION=11.529

C4DBUILDID=CB25720demo

hi matty, i know this, but i can't understand why i reach only 32 fps with my i7 990x, more powerful than an i7 2600k or something else

is the old i7 faster then a 2600k? but anyways 32 is way to low. I got this with my q9300. did you run the test after rebooting or after wake from sleep?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is from ###### forum:

http://tonymacx86.co...=47620&start=10

I was getting 6.4 fps on Unigine Heaven 3.0.

This is what I did: http://www.osx86.net/general-discussion/12789-how-i-improved-my-bench-score-lion-10-7-2-nvidia-285gtx-graphics-card.html

The following is in guide mode:

Open Terminal from Spotlight

Backup AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.Backup

Copy AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to Desktop

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext ./Destop/

Right Click the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext on Desktop, select "Show Package Contents"

Open "Contents"

Right click "Info.plist", select "Open With" > "TextEdit"

Scroll down to your mac version. Mine is "MacPro5,1", so I selected "Edit" > "Find" > "Find..." and I typed "MacPro5,1"

Under there there are two properties that begin with

<key>Vendor10deDevicexxxx</key>

I changed the last four digits to the Vendor ID on the string for the Vendor ID of my card; which is ATI(0x1002). You should look up yours under "Apple Logo" > "About This Mac" > "System Report" > "Graphics/Displays" and look for the value of "Vendor".

The property that I changed was the one with the higher "Threshold" values, I suppose that those are the Temp/Load/Fan values???

so this is what I ended up with:

<key>MacPro5,1</key>
<dict>
<key>Vendor10deDevice05e2</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IdleInterval</key>
<integer>250</integer>
<key>SensorOption</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>TargetCount</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>Threshold_High</key>
<array>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
<integer>87</integer>
</array>
</dict>
<key>LogControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>18</integer>
</dict>
<key>Vendor10deDevice1002</key>    <<< I changed this
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IdleInterval</key>
<integer>250</integer>
<key>SensorOption</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>TargetCount</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>Threshold_High</key>
<array>
<integer>93</integer>
<integer>93</integer>
<integer>93</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>97</integer>
<integer>97</integer>
<integer>97</integer>
</array>
</dict>
<key>LogControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>18</integer>
</dict>
<key>default-control-id</key>
<integer>18</integer>
</dict>

Save it with "Command"+"S" key combo.

Close TextEdit

Remove old kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext 

Copy new kext

sudo cp -R ./Desktop/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Repair Permissions of main drive using "Disk Utility"

Reboot

After this I was getting 57 FPS on the Unigine Heaven 3.0 Benchmark :headband:

I assume that for GPU power management to work, your board's "DSDT.aml", "FakeSMC", and the "FakeSMC AMD" plugin need to be installed.

• 3 months later...

hello

i send two kext

try one and another

and use the best fit to u

test also with openglviewer4

is free in apple store

good hack

6870.zip

Hi

I'm also struggling with the performance of my newly acquired HD 6870 (1GB PowerColor). No matter what I do the score stays at 32-33. I've tried the above mentioned LegacyAGPMs with SMBIOS identifier set to MacPro5,1 and Id set to 17 or 18 as well as SMBIOS set to iMac12,2 after editing the LegacyAGPM.kextst correspondingly. Further these variables have been combined with Chimera 1.10.0 and Chameleon r1493 as well as various frame buffers (Bulrushes, Duckweed, Gibba).

There are just to many combinations of parameters to test everything. I would appreciate some help if anyone has succeeded in overcoming this performance issue. Windows XP 32-bit gives me a score of ~55.

CPU: Q6600@3.2GHz GB RAM:GA-EP35-DS4 VGA: PowerColor HD6870 1GB

Edit:

BTW, the LegacyAGPM.kexts loads at writes G-state set from 0 to 0 (or similar) at boot up

hello

only imac use that series of ati graphics

so my advice is to play with the several imac config for ati graphics power management

in example above, someone edit the graphicspowermanagement kext with a config for a nvidia graphics card and he is using a ati ?

good hack

hello

only imac use that series of ati graphics

so my advice is to play with the several imac config for ati graphics power management

in example above, someone edit the graphicspowermanagement kext with a config for a nvidia graphics card and he is using a ati ?

good hack

It is hard to understand why NVIDIA parameters found within the graphicspowermanagement.kext´s Info.plist should activate proper power management for ATI cards as the parameters are substatially different. I´ll give it a shot though!

I have no clue what the various "integer" settings mean, but could it be possible to extract the correct settings from a Linux or Windows system?

If anyone has deciphered the various ATI parameters in any way, I would appreciate some hints.

The LegacyAGPM.kext posted above locates to CPU0@0 in IORegistryExplorer. Correct??

Greetings!

hi

macpro5,1

Captura de ecrã 2012-06-26, às 18.26.30.png Captura de ecrã 2012-06-26, às 18.26.58.png

that is an example what i say to u macpro5,1 use a ati card but is not the one u have

so if u use smbios macpro5,1 the graphicspowermanagement is for a ati graphics 5xxx

good hack

I just gave up the ATI story. The card is being returned and will be replaced by a NVIDIA product.

I cant understand why people state that HD6870 cards are 100% supported as there are major problems with performance (AGPM not working) and a lot of hazzle with Framebuffers and personalities in order to get dual DVI output.

One downside with a Nvidia 5xx card is (as far as I understand) that I have to give up my 10.6.8 installation.

They say that because people like me who own one manage to get it working "100%." There aren't major problems with it because it doesn't suffer the Fermi freeze as the card you're about to get will. Setting a framebuffer should be a relatively easy thing to do. Personalities you could practically use ones people have already made since the card outptus are the same and it should work.

You need to remember things weren't made to just be so plug and play it does require some work from the users end it's why we do what we do here.

• Like 1

I just gave up the ATI story. The card is being returned and will be replaced by a NVIDIA product.

I cant understand why people state that HD6870 cards are 100% supported as there are major problems with performance (AGPM not working) and a lot of hazzle with Framebuffers and personalities in order to get dual DVI output.

One downside with a Nvidia 5xx card is (as far as I understand) that I have to give up my 10.6.8 installation.

I think the Cinebench scores your getting are perfectly fine based on the rest of your hardware. It's a computer system and not a graphics card holder. Cinebench isn' t that fun of a game anyway, I can never seem to get past the first level, always the cop car pushes me off the road in the same hairpin turn. If anyone knows how I can get past this part so I can get more frames and beat this level that would be great!
  • Like 1

Well, I upgraded due to the flash player problems I have with my 8800gtx. Using dp4 GeForce drivers however solves this problem. I agree that the cinebench score is not that serious, but after downloading all the patched ATI6000controller kexts I could find and combining them with the various framebuffers without gaining dual DVI, I just got fed up. Further, both duckweed and gibba gave mouse movement artifcts ( single display). The 8800gtx solution is way more stable and easy, and I'm willing to give another Nvidia product a chance. I want stuff to work properly, not just partially.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I bench 55 in cinebench for osx and 78 under windows with a powercolor 6870 1gb. Have I to modify the applegraphicspowermanagement? Or there is no way for use the full power of this graphics card?

Thank you

CPU plays a big part in Cinebench OpenGL bench so always keep that in mind..Regardless zavy, your scores are great for a 6870, don't expect windows and osx benches to line up cause they won't, but your scores are good in both and def just fine in OSX. OSX version plays a factor too, where on my 5870 which has more raw horsepower than 6870 but no tesslation, I'll get around 64fps in 10.7.3 but I get 42fps in every version of ML except DP3 upd1 which was quite a bit faster. But they all run fine with absolutely no noticeable difference in the real world of OS usage or gaming.

hello

i send two kext

try one and another

and use the best fit to u

test also with openglviewer4

is free in apple store

good hack

6870.zip

Olá artur, as configuraçoes dessa kext tambem servem para uma ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5? ou é preciso alterar alguma coisa na info.plist?

Hello, everyone!

I had pretty much the same problems with my GTX HD 6890 - low performance with Cinebench, and OpenGL error in Luxmark. After reading this and other forums, I downloaded a developer's edition of OSX 10.7.5 (combo) and all my problems went away! My performance instantly doubled and the Luxmark error disappeared! The only thing I had to reinstall was my soundcard, but everything else worked to perfection. My motherboard: GA-Z68AP-D3, i5 processor (2400s), 16 GB 2133 DDR3 RAM, SSD with OSX in one partition and Windows 7 x64 in the other. Now my Radeon is fully functional, (at least performance wise - I only use one monitor, so I don't know if al the ports in my cards work).

I don't have much details about this update, but I read it included graphic card improvements, so I decided to give it a try.

I hope this information helps!