macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

It's totally safe.

If you run into some issues you can always roll back using the bios crisis recovery.

It works with Windows 8 fine. The only issue I've found so far is that fingerprint reader sometimes is not reconnected after sleep in Windows .. but then again I have never checked if it worked after sleep with just the regular bios.

• Like 2

Just flashed modded bios no problems so far. Will try sleep etc now. Question what are optimal settings for best performance on this bios ? there are lots of settings i have never heard about felt noobish.. :)

A tutorial or list would be very much appreciated :)

Edit : I just checked sleep works after flashing modded bios. Also another thing is before i had 8300+ geekbench score now i do 10351. specs below. So this bios is best thing ever happened to me :)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1265900

CPU : 2670QM

RAM : 8GB

• Like 3

Cool, thanks for your report. So this efi diver Dell has screwed up is common for Vostro 3450/3750 and XPS L502x/L702x ... good to know, so I didn't waste a few days of debugging for nothing.

Just make sure to never enabled ports (USB/PCI-E and SATA) which are disabled from the factory.

You can:

- enable UEFI boot (to support UEFI Clover and UEFI installation of Windows -> GPT partition scheme),

- crank up the FAN kick-in temps for a little bit quieter operation ..

- enable CPU fast strings as it will boost performance a little bit further.

That's pretty much it. I wouldn't suggest touching anything IGD (HD3000) related .. but you can tamper with VRAM just a little if you are experiencing artifacts.

• Like 3

TimeWalker75a really appreciate ur hard work on Bios mods and especially on L702x bios is really commendable.

But i was bit skeptical in updating to the custom mod bios, as i have never done something like this and this is my main workstation laptop used for work. If in case something goes wrong where can i found bios recovery (bios-mods.com) ? how to use bios recovery ?

• Like 1

Custom A19 BIOS:

- unlocked menus + UEFI Boot

- native speedsteep

- updated cpu microcodes from v23 to v28

- untouched Nvidia GPUs

--------------- above my @kasar

--------------- below by myself

- updated Intel vbios from 2104 to 2137 (thanks @jkbuha) ...should allow for higher VESA resolutions

- PlatformSmm backported from A12 to fix sleep/wake issues for OS X

To flash run 'FLASH_the_modded_bios.bat' and follow onscreen instructions. Make sure laptop is running on AC.

tested. sleep/wake works for me! thanks a lot!

• Like 3

Custom A19 BIOS:

- unlocked menus + UEFI Boot

- native speedsteep

- updated cpu microcodes from v23 to v28

- untouched Nvidia GPUs

--------------- above my @kasar

--------------- below by myself

- updated Intel vbios from 2104 to 2137 (thanks @jkbuha) ...should allow for higher VESA resolutions

- PlatformSmm backported from A12 to fix sleep/wake issues for OS X

To flash run 'FLASH_the_modded_bios.bat' and follow onscreen instructions. Make sure laptop is running on AC.

Sincere thanks to TimeWalker75a, successfully updated to A.19 Bios without any hassles. Guys i would recommend to update this A.19 custom bios straight away, no probs what so ever.

1. Haven't played much with unlocked menus, as i don't know what to play with and what not, I just don't want to brick my system with ignorance.

2. Native speed step is working perfectly with turbo ratios 6699.

3. improved graphics performance, rendering of photos is smooth, don't know if this is due to Apple graphic drivers or kexts improvement or due to jkbuha's intel vbios update.

4. Vesa mode now starts in Full HD screen resolution, before it use to start in 1280 x 1024.

5. Sleep & most importantly Wake both are working fine. Now this should make all folks with i7 2670 QM processor happy.

6. Brightness bar is now available under display settings.

cheers

• Like 1

Haven't seen this topic in a while - great to see some fantastic developments on the L702x as well.

Here's some planned work the bios mods team have over the coming weeks:

1) Updated Intel vbios to 2143

2) Corrected DSDT in BIOS (let me know if you guys are interested in this)

3) (Maybe if theoretically possible) Updated Management Engine to allow undervolting/overclocking

4) Any other suggestions :)

Keep 'em requests & feedback coming - we have some good momentum going!

• Like 1

Haven't seen this topic in a while - great to see some fantastic developments on the L702x as well.

Here's some planned work the bios mods team have over the coming weeks:

1) Updated Intel vbios to 2143

2) Corrected DSDT in BIOS (let me know if you guys are interested in this)

3) (Maybe if theoretically possible) Updated Management Engine to allow undervolting/overclocking

4) Any other suggestions :)

Keep 'em requests & feedback coming - we have some good momentum going!

Great work Jkbuha really appreciate ur time. If possible correct these things in the bios.

1.On L702x USB 2.0 doesnt work natively on OS X, every time i add the EHCI Patch for sandy bridge processors using DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win. This is the reason why i have released an A.19 DSDT, without DSDT in place we cant even boot the USB to install OS X. Is there any probability to add USB 3.0 support naively to the bios without the need of PXHCD.kext ?

2. Fn brightness keys are not working on OS X, i think its a common problem for all XPS laptops

3. On Windows 7 or 8 the brightness levels at the lowest point and second lowest point is same. There is no difference in brightness levels at these 2 points, as soon we hit 3rd brightness point Brightness start increasing and the same vice versa. I think both Lowest brightness level and second lowest brightness level have same brightness values. I haven't tested stock A.19, directly jumped the gun from A.12 to this custom A.19. So i dont know whether this a bug in. A.19. Anyway i am planning to check the DSDT.

regards

• Like 1

@ Zpecter

Yes we no longer need NullCPUPowerManagemet.kext and also no need to patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, well from now we can use the stock AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Soon i will add a new 10.8 Kexts pack and also an updated guide.

regards

• Like 2

@TimeWalker75a , @mackyreddy was wondering with this new bios couldnt we disable intel or nvidia graphics alltogether from bios to make it hackintosh friendly (noob here just thinking outloud) :) maybe we could get more from l702x . if anybody can spare a min to enlight me .. regards

I remember reading on some chinese forums about os x on acer that their bios is able to force the cloning of the frame buffer. However, it may have been a bad translation from google but the images posted there didn't lie. If the translation was indeed accurate, then maybe the bios does something similar to NV3D we talked on bios-mods.

I love you guys! The custom bios is really a quantum jump in hackingtoshing the XPS17! I now want to do a clean install with windows 8 and mac os x 10.8.3. But I read somewhere that doing a clean windows 8 install with A19 (stock) can brick the XPS 17... Does the same happens with the 19 custom bios? Should I be carefull, or is all well currently?

Furthermore, waiting for your new guide, mackyreddy! The previous one was my first encouter with the hackintosh scène and it was really helpfull!

And thank you TimeWalker75a, I already had the modded custom rom from the other site (notebookcheck I believe?), but this one is hackintosh proof and so a better fit for me!:)

I love you guys! The custom bios is really a quantum jump in hackingtoshing the XPS17! I now want to do a clean install with windows 8 and mac os x 10.8.3. But I read somewhere that doing a clean windows 8 install with A19 (stock) can brick the XPS 17... Does the same happens with the 19 custom bios? Should I be carefull, or is all well currently?

hey gabn i installed windows 8 on custom bios a19 without problem and after an hour got bored and changed back to windows 7. Unless it was my luck i dont think you would face with any problems if you are on custom bios. let us know how it goes for you

+1 for mackyreddy's new tutorial waiting list :)

miniDP port is attached to Intel card.

You have to patch HD3000 (SNBFramebuffer) connector table to get it to work... see bcc9's thread.

Where is that thread?? And I have another question, I changed the stock RAM modules, and my new modules can work up to 1600 MHz, is it safe to change the frequency in the bios with this custom bios version?

I'm wating for the new tutorial too. :wink2: