USB 3.0 card - ASM1042 OS X drivers from Highpoint(Mac)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
Remove works too.

I had a chance to try this out with my first usb3 device: a usb hard drive dock. It works flawlessly. Which is more than I can say about Windows 7. ML definitely benefits from the native usb3 support. Eventually I got it stable on Windows 7 by installing the Asus USB 3 Boost driver. Without this I couldn't copy more than 1 or 2gb of a file before the drive disappeared.

All it needs now is to stop ejecting the drives on wake. Not a big issue for me as I don't use sleep, but it's nice to have things working perfectly.

djohnsto77

djohnsto77

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I ended up buying a different PCIe card altogether, the Orinico card, see my post here.

This solution works with USB 3.0 drives, memory sticks, and even hubs.

utems

utems

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sure, I built an installer package http://www.mediafire...1d5b9nr066r2oxe

thanks man, I confirm it work too on my Asus P8H67-M/PRO onboard USB3, it solved my sleep, shutdown problem (previous kext (PXHCD.kext) had sleep, shutdown issue)

but I can't get your installer do the installation, I had to extract the files and install two kexts directly. (CalDigitFastIO.kext, CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext)

and other thought, not sure with other people experience that can't use this kext work on their system, but once before I updated my asus onboard USB3 firmware using "ASUS USB 3.0 Boost Full Package Version V1.00.05 Driver" (this was to make my first PXHCD.kext work with USB3).

koliberK

koliberK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Will this work on other Asus boards? I have P5Q-E.

Working fine on my new Asus board. There's a DSDT edit needed in order to prevent the ports immediately waking the computer from sleep. Thanks to mlydinesh@ for posting the kexts and info on osx86.net.

First, use IORegistryExplorer to find your USB3 ports. You'll know by the vendor/device id. Then place the following code into each instance.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					{
						Store (Package (0x0A)
							{
								"AAPL,clock-id",
								Buffer (One)
								{
									0x02
								},
								"AAPL,slot-name",
								Buffer (0x07)
								{
									"Slot-4"
								},
								"name",
								Buffer (0x18)
								{
									"ASMedia XHCI Controller"
								},
								"model",
								Buffer (0x28)
								{
									"ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller"
								},
								"device_type",
								Buffer (0x0F)
								{
									"USB Controller"
								}
							}, Local0)
						DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						Return (Local0)
					}

Here's a pic of my DSDT showing where I put them. I removed the slot-name attribute as these are onboard ports, so I didn't want them showing up in the PCI Cards section of System Profiler. The name, model and device_type attributes are all optional and cosmetic. Only clock-id is required to fix sleep.

The only remaining issue is any storage devices attached to the USB3 ports will be improperly removed on wake.

kernel[0]: [0xffffff8018d7d400](0)/(5) Device not responding
kernel[0]: disk3s1: media is not present.

P.S. CalDigitHDProDrv.kext comes with 10.8 (and maybe earlier).

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Will this work on other Asus boards? I have P5Q-E.

It's not really what you need if you're having sleep issues with that board. It's an old board so you should be able to find a DSDT patch for it here. That should include all the patches required including one for USB.

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 930 posts

Highpoint annonces 2 USB 3.0 cards for Mac.
http://www.highpoint...r/RU1022AM.html
Uses the ASM1042 chipset (i checked the device/vebdor id in their os x driver)

Datasheet highpoint Mac:
http://www.hptmac.co...etU_for_Mac.pdf

http://www.highpoint...r/RU1022AM.html

This chipset is used on some PC cards also and they are very cheap (< 12 €, < 20 US$)

OS X driver (up to 10.7) + info:
http://www.hptmac.co...ewtype=download

Someone know which value to hex edit in the binary to bypass the manufacturer protection ? To make it work with other brands (like modbin made for the Lacie kext aka PXHCD) ?

Thanks.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
I used the package from post #35 and tried it with 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 with the same result.

Both kexts can be loaded manually when the system is running and the USB ports start working.
But as soon as I put them into Extensions and reboot, I can't reach the login screen.
It hangs right after the usual verbose output.

To avoid conflicts, I removed CalDigitHDProDrv.kext manually as the official CalDigit driver installer would do.

EDIT:
The solution was to edit the compatible device inside the property list.
Deleting the list did not work for me.

VultUx

VultUx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Mountain Lion friendly version of the kexts available here http://www.mediafire...dxcetph021ft8uy if anybody needs them.

Thanks Andy!

Works perfect with ASUS P8P67-M PRO without any change in DSDT.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
Inspired by some DSDT code I found on RampageDev's site while trying to get these kexts running on my new build, I've changed the sleep-fix DSDT code I posted previously. Instead of the cosmetic entries it now injects the device IDs that the CalDigit kexts expect. So they now load without any plist edits. You can also use the Oyen Digital driver with this edit. Performance is the same and it's a single kext rather than two.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				 {
					 Store (Package (0x0A)
						 {
							 "vendor-id",
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
									 0x33, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							 },
							 "device-id",
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
									 0x94, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
							 },
							 "subsystem-id",
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
									 0x94, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
							 },
							 "subsystem-vendor-id",
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
									 0x88, 0x21, 0x00, 0x00
							 },
							 "AAPL,clock-id",
							 Buffer (One)
							 {
									 0x02
							 }
						 }, Local0)
					 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					 Return (Local0)
				 }

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

Thanks Riley.

This works on P8Z77-V Pro. The ASMedia 1042 is located at RP08:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 7.44.29 PM.png   212.96KB   11 downloads

However, System Information reports "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for my SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive (love this thing, it's so fast!), which is wrong.

This happens with both the Oyen and CalDigit drivers - when I plug it into one of the Intel ports i get "Up to 5 Gb/sec".

Maybe I should be using these?

http://www.insanelym...-x-with-source/

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Yeah I get that too. From a quick look at some transfer speeds (to a slow hard disk) I think it's cosmetic. The attached drives seem to be running at the right speed, the port just isn't reporting the correct speed to the system.

Zenith's kext should fix that but I haven't been using it. The Oyen is good enough for my needs.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

If you say so ^_^ I didn't even check transfer speeds....Zenith's driver fixed it. I see two specific fixes for the ASM1042 in the topic, that can't be bad.

I also put back the cosmetic ASM1042 DSDT code, I can see it in ioreg, but not in System Information, Zenith's driver overrides it!

Strangely it also overrides Apple's Intel USB 3.0 driver, time will tell if that's good or bad. 

My P8Z77-V Pro Hack is shaping up nicely. Now to test S3 sleep again..it goes to sleep but I can't get it to wake up. Same old same old...

/EDIT

Ok.. S3 sleep/wake is now working now...it's a bit wonky though...there's more, but these are the on-topic messages from Console:

SaveControllerStateForSleep: xHC Save Error (when entering sleep mode)

RestoreControllerStateFromSleep: xHC Restore Error (after waking up)

My USB 3.0 flash drive doesn't auto-unmount when entering sleep.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

I don't use sleep here but drives aren't unmounted with the CalDigit or Oyen kexts either. As a result they're improperly ejected and remounted on wake.

You'll need a third party tool to take care of that. I've seen a few around.

Zenith's driver has some bootflags. Maybe one of those can help matters.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

I don't really use it either, I'm just chasing compatibility for compatibility's sake, it's my favorite part of the game.

Once everything works well..if that's possible..then the challenge is over and I win :P

Thanks for the nudges as always.

Checking out the other boot flags, alredy using the one that leaves EHCI alone on Z77.

indiandragon

indiandragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Researcher

Someone know which value to hex edit in the binary to bypass the manufacturer protection ? To make it work with other brands (like modbin made for the Lacie kext aka PXHCD) ?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell the hex code which needs to be changed to bypass the manufacturer protection ?  Has anyone got the 10.9 CalDigit’s kext to work for ASM 1042, the plist edit/DSDT change doesn’t work for their 10.9 kexts .

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

I didn't even know there were newer CalDigit kexts as I've been using the Oyen one all this time.

It seems the new one does have some kind of device lock. The kext loads fine with my DSDT edit (and presumably the plist one as well) but won't mount anything attached to it. So it probably needs a LaCie-style patch now.

The Oyen driver still works fine, even though they say on their site that Mavericks isn't supported.

indiandragon

indiandragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Researcher

@Riley  Yes the kexts get loaded properly and work fine (10.8 CalDigit kexts) and seem to give same performance.  If I can bypass the manufacturer lock, I’ll post  here the findings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy