[Guide] Installing Lion on Sandy Bridge Dell XPS L502x

AKennedy_4

73 posts in this topic

Guide changelog:

1. Now recommending DoiX's simple installer as the first effort way to install kexts to make it simpler for noobs
  2. Updated troubleshooting with bootloader, audio, speedstepping help
  3. Clarified the SSDT types
  4. Added information about different file systems
  5. clarified the data partition
  6. Added information about how to customize the bootloader to hide partitions and make windows default
  7. Clarified what to install in the package
  8. Clarified Trackpad restrictions
  9. Provided a theoretical way to dual boot with the Windows 7 bootloader

Hi everyone,

I have an issue. When I install the iAtkos system like it is said in the (updated) tutorial with the kexts (first Dioxs then from the package) the OSX stucks at the booting point where you can see the Apple Booting Logo. Once again: I choose iAtkos1 in the Bootloader (it's the only one because I haven't installed Windows) and the system begins to boot correctly. After a while the booting circle icon stops moving and the whole picture stucks. The funny thing is that when I press some buttons I hear that the system has booted because I get sounds even when I press the volume buttons. But all I see is the stucked booting screen. I can even shut the system down by pressing the power button and return after that.

What can it be? Something with the graphic driver?

I have the a07 Bios and my specs are:

XPS 502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz 1 SR

N11X5M06 1 SR

Display : 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera 1 SR

LCD Back Cover : Metalloid Aluminum (WLAN) L501X 1 SR

Resource DVD : XPS L502x Diagnostics and Drivers 1 SR

Ship Accessory : German Docs 1 SR

RAM : 8.192MB (2x4.096) 1.333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel 1 SR

HDD : 750GB Serial ATA (7.200 1/min) 1 SR

Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive 1 SR

Battery : 9 cell 90Wh LI-ION 1 SR

Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card 1 SR

Wireless : European Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 1 SR

Keyboard : Internal US/International Qwerty Keyboard 1 SR

Does someone know what it is?

Owen, try booting with the RbootLE and reinstall the kext from the pack.. and make sure your selecting the right DSDT (You would choose the HD DSDT not the Full HD DSDT

I had this issue too but memory is failing me to what the actual problem is.

If reinstalling the kext doesn't work (Remember kext utility and disk utility), then try posting on the other topic, Im sure DoiX or someone else can help you out

Hi guys,

I've installed Lion on my Dell and worked with it for a while. I don't think that I will keep it because the bugs are to big... The graphic card is not recognized, sometimes the system stucks for a while, here and there is a small bug.

I was thinking to use it really instead of a mac and work with programs like photoshop, logic (audio recording), final cut (video montage) but it all works slow.

Final cut 7 doesn't install at all, without reasons. Photoshop 6 is too slow.

Is it on me or is the system just full of bugs and not fixed yet?

Is it not better to install Lion through VMware on Linux???

Thnx!

I got iAtkos L1 installed on my L502x now (same specs as AKennedy, except 4GB) I have a few questions.

1. How can I fix the startup of windows? Because I have missing BOOTMGR now. Can I just use these commands: BootRec /FixMBR, BootRec /FixBoot and BootRec /RebuildBCD?

Or does this break the boot loader? If so, what can I use to fix this?

5.png

2. My audio hardware isn't recognized when I open Audio/MIDI-configuration. It was recognized one time before (don't know if it was this install) but I don't know with which kextx that was or if I used both kexts. Can you use both kexts at the same time or do I need to delete one if I want to try the other one? And were do I need to delete the kexts? Here? /System/Library/Extensions

3. I have the idea my Kext Wizzard isn't working properly anymore. In the beginning it selected automaticly my OS X target disk. But now it say Choose and I can only choose between Choose / Item 2 / Item 3. How does this come? I downloaded it again from the forum topic of (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253395 newer?) and it works again!

Thnx for the great TUT!

EDIT: All is working great except the dual boot with windows. I can't get Windows 7 to boot up. I tried the three commands listed above but that doesn't solve the problem. I also tried the automatic startup repair with windows 7 but also that doesn't fix the boot. And I tried the following commands what also doesn't work for me:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

What can I do to make it work? I need my windows too.. :(

here is your solution for missing BOOTMGR....

Put in Win7 disk, boot into recovery console

Type DISKPART (enter).

Type LIST DISK (enter).

Choose the disk that contains your WinRE partition. If it is disk zero, you type SELECT DISK 0.

Type LIST PARTITION.

Now select your Windows disk – the one you want to boot from. If it is partition 2, you’ll type SELECT PARTITION 2.

Again examine details with DETAIL PARTITION.

Once you’re sure, mark it active with the command ACTIVE.

Type EXIT to get out of Diskpart. You’re back at the commandline.

You need to be sure there are system files on the new bootloader drive. if that drive is C:, you will put them there with this command: BCDBOOT c:\windows /s C: (you can use BCDBOOT /? to learn the other options available.)

Now reboot the machine.

So the stock wifi card doesn't work. Will a BCM94321mc work? I have one sitting at home. Just wondering because I just ordered my my xps15 today and wanted to save time incase it didn't work so I would have to order the wifi card mentioned.

Sorry if my grammar was bad in that last sentence. It's late, and I got really excited after i ordered the laptop, since the one im using now is {censored}.

My System:

CPU: i7-2670QM

GPU: Nvidia GT 540M de 2GB

RAM: 8GB

Monitor: 1366x768

The first thing is to apologize for my bad English and my lack of knowledge of MAC, is the first time I use it.

I am following step by step guide and I have a small doubts that makes lion do not work properly at the end of the process.

1. Before the first reboot (step 8a), if I copy the DSDT drivers (my case) or Full HD video DSDT it does not work. As reboot works properly without copying them I've chosen not to place them. Is there a problem with that?

2. What Doix drivers of the package have I to install, just the three indicated?

3. If you install your package, what version have I to use 5 or 6? In any case, have I to install all the drivers that are in the package?

4. In there (Doix package), are two drivers 8,2. Do you install both?

5. In step 14) it sais "It Should Reboot OS X. Now with the boot normally any CD or arguments." That does it mean mac should reboot itselfs or you still have to boot with the rbootle.

6. In step 16), when you say Run Disk Utility, do you run it to repair permissions egain?

7. When is it assumed that the computer should restart by itself? at the end of the process or after step 14?

8. When I repair the permissions on the screen there are a lot of messages of files repaired, is this ok?

9. When I finish the process and reboot without the rbootle I get the screenshot attached.

Thanks in advance and thank you for the work that you have done.

post-958036-0-57960600-1328176671_thumb.jpg

The DSDT is needed for proper recognition of your hardware. Use Doix's package installer (V6 not V5) for the latest DSDT. and make sure you install the right Boot.plist option at the very bottom of the Package installer.

The system should work without RBootLE in step 14

I'm not sure what the difference between the two system definition's are. They seem to be the same. Either one will be fine

When you repair permissions; it is normal for a ton of permissions to be repaired

You misinstalled something. Try booting with RBootLE and reinstalling the kext from the Package installer, run kext utility and then disk utility. Reboot without RBootLe. If the system gives you a kernel panic again (That's what your screenshot is), try installing the kext from my zip file (Not DoiX package). Install them with Kext wizard to System/Library/Extensions after they install run kext utility and then disk utility.

After the install, i put the DSDT in the extras folder (HD screen not full HD) through macdrive in windows.

The screen is really weird looking with a whole bunch of random lines, but there's sound so I know I'm in the setup part.

However, i can boot into safe mode fine and the screen is okay, but i have all the kexts and the packages in a usb, and whenever i plug in the usb, I get a kernel panic immediately.

What could i have done wrong in the process?

Specs:

720p screen

8gb ram

2gb gt540 graphics

i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz (yes for the busratio flag i did busratio=22 not 20)

A06 bios

Yea so basically my only problems so far is the kernel panic with the usb plugged in, and the native screen not working. It's the whole screen that looks messed up

Thanks for any input!

@jnxjn: I have the same problems as you.

The one about de usb can be solve pluging the usb just after you boot with Bootle (while you see the screen full of letters). After MACos is loaded you can use the USB.

About the problem with the DSDT some one called Alex DeWolf had the same problem and it was solved by DoiX this way:

11 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

snapback.pngDoiX, on 11 January 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Well, the only thing i can think of is that you are using the FULL HD DSDT instead of the normal one... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/DSDT-HD.aml.zip copy it to extra and add to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

I have not still try it in my laptop, but if make it work let me know.

Bye.

calreyru1978 is right to an extent. Make sure your using the right DSDT and its put in the extra folder. This will solve the USB drive problem and screen all in one. Now to make sure you have the DSDT loaded, boot with RBootLE and enter these boot flags (Change the bus ratio value to your own as specified in the guide):

-v GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20 DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml

You should boot with native resolution now

What calreyru1978 mentioned above is easier to be done through the installation of DoiX's package, but has the same results if you choose that route

I managed to boot with the DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml flag. Now my problem is booting up without the cd. I used DoiX's package and installed what the guide said to install, edited and replaced the boot.plist as the guide says, deleted the nullcpu kext and I'm still not able to boot without the cd. Anyway, I then boot with the cd, and manage to install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and all of the options it tells me to select. The bootloader is v1.7 from the new [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Now, i reboot and get a kernel panic. The "please hold power button to restart" screen is blocking some words, but i managed to catch a few letters consisting of achi (not in that order) and an audio family thing too.

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Btw I'm still on 10.7.1 so I didn't do the part where it says to change to the 10.7.2 AICPUPM, and didn't install the combo update.

While in osx though, I faced a minor problem. The sound works but there is some weird white noise coming from the speakers.

Also while booting up, there is a popping noise too then after that the speakers start to make the white noise.

Any way to fix that or do I have to live with it?

Thanks again!

Hello egain.

I think we (jnxjn) and me have the same problems. I have reinstall osx and folow 100% the guide (using the HD DSDT (the one I need) suggested in the topic). The result has been the same blank screen (see the screen shot).

post-958036-0-35597300-1328689932_thumb.jpg

I have also installed the FULL HD DSDT, just in case, and i was not able to rebootLE my osx.

I have reinstalled once more osx and try the DSDT from here http://dl.dropbox.co...DSDT-HD.aml.zip, and I have been able to restart osx, but not to reboot without bootLE.

I'm almost sure that the problem is the DSDT.

I don't know else can I do....

Hello egain.

I think we (jnxjn) and me have the same problems. I have reinstall osx and folow 100% the guide (using the HD DSDT (the one I need) suggested in the topic). The result has been the same blank screen (see the screen shot).

I have also installed the FULL HD DSDT, just in case, and i was not able to rebootLE my osx.

I have reinstalled once more osx and try the DSDT from here http://dl.dropbox.co...DSDT-HD.aml.zip, and I have been able to restart osx, but not to reboot without bootLE.

I'm almost sure that the problem is the DSDT.

I don't know else can I do....

You need to edit your SMBIOS.plist and set your identifiers as MacBookPro8,2

This solved the issue for me.

Use Macdrive in windows to edit this plist, or even boot into single user mode (-s)

@Owen, with you it may be "GraphicsEnabler=no" flag is not being set, If you do not do this the system tries outputting through the Nvidia chip, which is not supported.

You get the initial gray apple boot logo and sod all after if you don't specify that.

I managed to boot with the DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml flag. Now my problem is booting up without the cd. I used DoiX's package and installed what the guide said to install, edited and replaced the boot.plist as the guide says, deleted the nullcpu kext and I'm still not able to boot without the cd. Anyway, I then boot with the cd, and manage to install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and all of the options it tells me to select. The bootloader is v1.7 from the new [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Now, i reboot and get a kernel panic. The "please hold power button to restart" screen is blocking some words, but i managed to catch a few letters consisting of achi (not in that order) and an audio family thing too.

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Btw I'm still on 10.7.1 so I didn't do the part where it says to change to the 10.7.2 AICPUPM, and didn't install the combo update.

While in osx though, I faced a minor problem. The sound works but there is some weird white noise coming from the speakers.

Also while booting up, there is a popping noise too then after that the speakers start to make the white noise.

Any way to fix that or do I have to live with it?

Thanks again!

You've installed VoodooHDA, get rid of it.

There is a collection of Dell ALC665 Kexts knocking around, I'll post them if i can find them.

The issue you will be getting is due to a conflict with AppleHDA and VoodooHDA, remove one or the other.

If sticking with Voodoo, you need to go to the VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and find the "igain" value, set this to 0, save the changes, fix permissions and reboot.

So I have to edit SMBIOS.plist with the windows text editor?? and run OSx with the HD DSDT or with the one here http://dl.dropbox.co...DSDT-HD.aml.zip ?

What and where do I have to write in the SMBIOS.plist?

Thanks

The SMBios.plist should be in /Extra/

In there you will see some family/identifiers, like "Macbook" etc etc.

I'll post mine in a few minutes when I get back to my desk.

Guys, why are yall so concerned about editing the SMBios.. His problem has nothing to do with the SMBios. The boot issue is purely related to missinstallation of the kext. You need to install everything in DoiX's installer and deferintiate between the options I specified in the guide

Guys, why are yall so concerned about editing the SMBios.. His problem has nothing to do with the SMBios. The boot issue is purely related to missinstallation of the kext. You need to install everything in DoiX's installer and deferintiate between the options I specified in the guide

I was referring to this:

I followed a guide precisely, and only after I set the SMbios correctly did it disappear.

If i set it to mbp8,1 i get this again.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,2</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02F93FQDH2G</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The Dell ALC665 files can be found here:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2079

A bit bass heavy but this is fixed by removing the SoundProcessing node from the plist in the dell_xps next.

When do you edit the SMbios?? After or before installing the Kext?

I can not be missintalling the kext because just after finishing the instalation and before installing the kext if I copy the HD DSDT to extra an I reboot I can not rebootle (blank screen).

I'll try SMbios edition and I'll tell you.

Thanks in advance.

That because your entire issue has to do with installing the Kext. You need to install the Kext from my pack (Zip file), using Kext Wizard. After install run kext utility and disk utility. This should correct that problem.

As for the screen issue, you are right, that should be a Smbios issue. I think it can also be solved by deleting SNBIntelGraphics.kext or something like that. But I think NotMeAgain documented this

Ok so I deleted voodooHDA and I don't get that sound anymore. Then i installed DoiX's v6 package.

I can finally boot up fine, finally get native resolution and all, but only problem is that there is no sound but I'll try fixing that tomorrow when i have time. What i plan to do is delete the audio kexts installed by the packager (AppleHDA and the ALC one? correct me if I'm wrong) and then installing the kexts provided from your pack. If that doesn't work I'll stick with voodoo hda.

Btw I think it's a kext install issue as there is like a circle and a line in the middle of it when i try to adjust the sound. And i still get the error (system extension cannot be used) for applehda, dellxpsalc)

One problem I couldn't figure out though, is the battery meter. It shows a battery with an x in the middle.

Other than that, everything is working flawlessly, except for wifi but I'm going to order the dw1510 soon.

I had the apple branded bcm94321mc from my other hackintosh laptop, only problem is that the xps came with only 1 antenna cable, so only 1 card would hook up.

Quick couple of questions tho,

1) compared to the dw1510 how is the performance of the apple branded 94321mc?

2) will it work in windows 7?

Sorry for the long post but thanks!

EDIT:

i tried putting it to sleep and all it does is the screen goes black and i can hear the fans actually run a bit faster. It also won't wake up.

I thought sleep works, or do i need a sleepenabler.kext?

Also, I am on A06 bios

And when i turn off or reboot osx, it doesn't shut down. It stays as a black screen and the only way to turn it off is by holding the power button

@'jnxjn'

Was your blank screen the same a mine?? (in order to solve the same way as you)

post-958036-0-46356900-1328778847.jpg

@NotMeAgain

Is there something else left that I have to do to make osx run. I have done what you said, and always get the same kernel panic.

@AKennedy_4

I have installed DoiX's v6 package + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

your packege + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

DoiX's v5 package + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

@You all

The only differences in my instalation are.

1) Just before the DVD finished installing Lion, the system ask me to plug a keyboard to go on. I do it, I pass that screen and I can go on without the keyboard.

2) After the configuration (name, hour, etc....) I rebootLE typing

-v GrahpicsEnabler=no busratio=22 cpus=1

and I can run OSX without any DSDT (I mean graphics works) . The problems came after that if I copy (in win7) the DSDT, install Kext.

May it be something about the Lion version I've installed (I think mine is 10.7.1, I do not have my laptop in here)?

Thanks in advance