The 10.7.2 update installation, With iCloud fix

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

C.Frio

C.Frio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Pandora Team
  • 1,233 posts

To those who are still having issues. After days of troubleshooting just wanted to share this so it can help others.

To start I only had Wifi enabled "en0" and I have tried all the chameleon with iCloud fix, PCEFI and chimera and could not just login to iCloud keep getting "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account".

Itunes login working, I decided to test Appstore and I was not able to login as well.

In order to get Appstore working I needed to enable my built-in NIC. Read it in forum somewhere - credit to the shared this info.

I got my built in NIC loaded and the deleted

com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

Rebooted and when Lion came up everything worked I was able to login to iTunes, Appstore and iCloud.

So "en0" needs to be your built-in. Otherwise Appstore and iCloud won't work.

I had the following initially but I removed it and I cloud still works.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

hi

did you have your network devices recognized,or you set them manually, after reboot?

c.frio

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
@ cili0 I honestly always preferred using the S/L/E as opposed to E/E since Leopard days and with the release of 10.7 I was happy to notice that I didn't need to use the E/E anymore.

I don't even use a bootloader on my OS drives but rather keep the bootloaders on flash drives for the sake of plucking the drives into my MBP if I feel the urge to. Not saying that I dislike the separation that OS X had for some while, but I always wanted all my kexts to be localized in one area alone let alone two.

Just my 2 cents..

Jedric

Jedric

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

hi

did you have your network devices recognized,or you set them manually, after reboot?

c.frio

Not sure what you mean.

Depends on your NIC, if your NIC works OOB with LION then thats great other wise you need proper kext.

The NIC ethernet connection does not need to be up and connected, as long as Lion recognizes and sees it in network thats all it matters.

or did you mean after deleting the following

com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

Yes they are automatically detected and recreated, as long as you have proper kext.

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,009 posts

@ cili0 I honestly always preferred using the S/L/E as opposed to E/E since Leopard days and with the release of 10.7 I was happy to notice that I didn't need to use the E/E anymore.

I don't even use a bootloader on my OS drives but rather keep the bootloaders on flash drives for the sake of plucking the drives into my MBP if I feel the urge to. Not saying that I dislike the separation that OS X had for some while, but I always wanted all my kexts to be localized in one area alone let alone two.

Just my 2 cents..

It's strange that you want to keep an extra component such as the EFI bootloader away from the the hard disk, but at the same time you place non-vanilla kext inside /S/L/E.

I appreciate the conceptual separation between what is shipped by apple (placed in /S/L/E) and what we add in order to let the system work on a generic pc (EFI bootloader + /E/E). Again, my 2 cents :)

Really there's no way to restore the /E/E folder? unfortunately creating the kernel cache by means of Extensions.mkext makes the system unbootable.

If you really want to keep /E/E and prefer not to touch /S/L/E then
you can use the rc.local trick, works great here, been doing it since Lion came out.

/private/etc/rc.local
contents:
kextload /Extra/KextStore/*

NOTE the name KextStore, you can use any name EXCEPT Extensions.
Use the UseKernelCache flag Yes in/Extra/ com.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Best way to implement this is to boot -s.
At prompt type:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /
echo "kextload /Extra/KextStore/*" > /private/etc/rc.local

Make sure permissions are correct
ls -la /etc/rc.local

Should look like this
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 23 Jul 04:08 /etc/rc.local

Need to refresh the caches so then type
rm -rf System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

type
reboot and use -f for added measure

There may be some kexts that need to be placed into /S/L/E

This is what I have in mine
ACPIMonitor.kext IntelCPUMonitor.kext LegacyBluetooth.kext
FakeSMC.kext LegacyAGPM.kext SuperIOFamily .kext

Its all down to personal choice.

Hi STLVNUB, thanks your your suggestion. The problem with your solution is that you can't place the essence of the extra kexts, fakesmc.kext, in /E/KextStore, can you? Also i would prefer the bootloader to load the extra kexts, it would be more polished.

Hey cili0, you might want to try this method proposed by hotKoffy here:

generate MKext in Lion 10.7.2

Seems to work pretty well in that the root device error no longer occurs ...

However, in my case, it refuses to load IONetworking family hence I am not able to load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx during boot which I need for my Ethernet ...

EDIT: I have to add that the IONetworking kext loads FINE after booting ... Only problem is it does NOT seem to be included in the generated Extensions.mkext file (which turns out to be quite small in size compared to creating it using one of those terminal commands) ...

I can load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext after login BUT IF you are someone who does NOT even use that kext, I think hotKoffy's method will be great for separating the System and Extra kext files ...

I'll try this method, but unfortunetly i do use lnx2mac kext.

ciao,
cili0.

psxdadz

psxdadz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

I got my built in NIC loaded and (...)

hi could you explain how you loaded your NIC
THANKS

fastfwd

fastfwd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,

I defer the expertise of others, I'm a newbie but from what I'm reading from the various posts here my e/e should not be loading but it is loading. Is it just that it would takes longer since there is no cache??? My load times are fairly quick usually 1-2 spins of the spinner before it gets to the login screen. So I don't understand what is happening. The kexts in e/e are: fakesmc, ioachiblockstorageinjector, jmicronata, legacy889ahda, and intelcpumonitor.

This is my chameleon plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x860x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,4) hd(2,1)</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>

Running fine, my hardware is in my signature.

Thanks for your help :D

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,139 posts

The problem with your solution is that you can't place the essence of the extra kexts, fakesmc.kext, in /E/KextStore, can you?

Eh?? They are in /Extra/KextStore unless I don't understand the question...

Also i would prefer the bootloader to load the extra kexts, it would be more polished.
ciao,
cili0.

Its all down to Personal Choice
Just offered a solution, wether anybody takes it is up to them.

Jedric

Jedric

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

hi could you explain how you loaded your NIC
THANKS

It all depends on what kind of NIC you have. You need proper Kext.

You can start of by identifying your NIC and posting it so we can recommend Kext you need to use.

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Hey cili0, you might want to try this method proposed by hotKoffy here:

generate MKext in Lion 10.7.2

Seems to work pretty well in that the root device error no longer occurs ...

However, in my case, it refuses to load IONetworking family hence I am not able to load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx during boot which I need for my Ethernet ...

EDIT: I have to add that the IONetworking kext loads FINE after booting ... Only problem is it does NOT seem to be included in the generated Extensions.mkext file (which turns out to be quite small in size compared to creating it using one of those terminal commands) ...

I can load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext after login BUT IF you are someone who does NOT even use that kext, I think hotKoffy's method will be great for separating the System and Extra kext files ...

The IONetworkingFamily.kext does not get included in the mkext cache file, because it has a OSBundleRequired string of "Network-Root". That means it will only load at boot time when one needs to boot off the network. If you wish the kext to be included in the cache and load at boot time, the OSBundleRequired string contained within the kext's info.plist needs to be changed to "Root." Keep in mind this should include all PlugIns, as well, including Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx.kext.

regards,
MAJ

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,009 posts

Eh?? They are in /Extra/KextStore unless I don't understand the question...

Sorry, my fault (English is not my native language). My question was:

With your method can you place fakesmc.kext in /E/KextStore? Will the system boot even if you load that kext in a late state of the boot sequence?

Its all down to Personal Choice
Just offered a solution, wether anybody takes it is up to them.

Thanks for your solution, IMHO every single contribution should be more than appreciated. Maybe i was a bit rude, but this is because I don't master very well English :)

ciao!
cili0.

Motyla

Motyla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, i'm having troubles with this update. I'm on the latest Lion version, did a valid smbios.plist, upgraded to the 1618 chameleon version, and i can only boot in -x mode otherwise i get a kernel panic on the loading screen. It happens everytime i change the smbios.plist.
I don't really know what to do or try right now so if anyone has an idea i'd be glad to read it. Thanks.

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi there,

I defer the expertise of others, I'm a newbie but from what I'm reading from the various posts here my e/e should not be loading but it is loading. Is it just that it would takes longer since there is no cache??? My load times are fairly quick usually 1-2 spins of the spinner before it gets to the login screen. So I don't understand what is happening. The kexts in e/e are: fakesmc, ioachiblockstorageinjector, jmicronata, legacy889ahda, and intelcpumonitor.

Running fine, my hardware is in my signature.

Thanks for your help :unsure:

Why shouldn't it be loading? The /Extra/Extensions directory is skipped and the pre linked kernelcache is used at boot time via the UseKernelCache=Yes argument in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Since you aren't utilizing said argument and don't have the Extensions.mkext in your Startup caches folder, all of your system kexts are reloaded at each boot, so you're effectively booting with a -f kernel flag.

Hi, i'm having troubles with this update. I'm on the latest Lion version, did a valid smbios.plist, upgraded to the 1618 chameleon version, and i can only boot in -x mode otherwise i get a kernel panic on the loading screen. It happens everytime i change the smbios.plist.
I don't really know what to do or try right now so if anyone has an idea i'd be glad to read it. Thanks.

Would you like us to guess what your problem might be?

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Try to boot with -v , you then can spot what give you the problem by read those texts. If you still can not figure out how to get it fix then come back to the forum get help.

daxure

daxure

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
digital_dreamer after update to 10.7.2 I`ve problems with audio (alc889) could you help me with audio workout? I`ve got same MoBo as U. thanx

Gabecm

Gabecm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Thanks to everyone who responded with fixes for other situations, I was running of my situation where I had already set my boot to usekernelcache=yes in 10.7.1 so I did not see this as a problem, although I should have checked it out.

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,139 posts

Sorry, my fault (Enlish is not my native language). My question was:

With your method can you place fakesmc.kext in /E/KextStore? Will the system boot even if you load that kext in a late state of the boot sequence?

Most definitely, its one of the last kexts to get loaded, on my system it is 104 out of 109.
Some kexts may not work because of this reason and may need to go to /S/L/E.

psxdadz

psxdadz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

It all depends on what kind of NIC you have. You need proper Kext.

You can start of by identifying your NIC and posting it so we can recommend Kext you need to use.

by NIC i think you mean my LAN its a Realtek 8111e gigabit LAN controller, kext name RealtekRTL81xx.kext Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8168
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043
Subsystem ID: 0x8432
Revision ID: 0x0006
Link Width: x1
BSD name: en0
Kext name: RealtekRTL81xx.kext
Version: 0.0.67
Does this help

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

by NIC i think you mean my LAN its a Realtek 8111e gigabit LAN controller, kext name RealtekRTL81xx.kext Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8168
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043
Subsystem ID: 0x8432
Revision ID: 0x0006
Link Width: x1
BSD name: en0
Kext name: RealtekRTL81xx.kext
Does this help

try .90@ Lnx2Mac blog

mediacape

mediacape

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hopefully someone can help as I've been working on getting iCloud and the Appstore (don't care about FaceTime) going for about a week now (22hours), and I've lost most of my hair from pulling it out.
None of the forum solutions have worked and I've tried them all:(

-My Specs:

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4384

Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile
• Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T5200
o 1.60GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB
• Chipset
o Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset (NOT WORKING)
• Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
o Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g) (NOT WORKING)
Memory
• 2.5 gig RAM
Hard Disk Drive
• 160GB (5400 RPM) Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive; 12.5mm height
Optical Disk Drive
• DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats

Graphics
• Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory (intel GM950)
Sound (voodooHDA)
o SRS TruSurround XT® virtual surround sound o SRS WOWTM stereo enhancement

Obviously my wifi doesn't work, and my LAN (built-In Intel pro VE100) only worked with leopard - updating to 10.7 broke this.
Currently I use the (Ralink)ASUS USB wifi to get online.

The big problem is in System Pref>Network pref - the only network adapter available is 802.11 bg WLAN and firewire.

I have tried to get LION to think I have an built in LAN adapter but NO JOY.
Every time I change the network settings (NetworkInterfaces.plist) its says BuiltIn=false, I change it to =true - reboot then it changes back to false? Although in my .boot.plist it does say (builtIn ethernet=yes)

I've updated boot loader to suggested versions= NO JOY

I've deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist and com.apple.network.identification.plist then removed adapters from Network Pref=NO JOY

Changed my serial several times=NO JOY

Tried to load the Intel PRO VE 100 ktext (can find my device id or vendor - not sure how or if it matters) =NO JOY

Isn't there a way to have LION see the 802.11 bg WLAN as a Ethernet adapter? Or have LION think I have an Ethernet adapter (en0) without a functioning one?

Please someone help - driving me crazy! $50 bucks to anyone who can even point me in the right direction here.

-Thanks ALL!!!!

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=263035

You need to have a driver loaded for your built-in wired ethernet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy