[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

My new DSDT already included the equivalent of Joshhh's changes. However, it is essential that you remove VoodooHDA and rebuild the system cache first (touch /S/L/E), or it will conflict with AppleHDA and cause a KP at boot.

Audio works great with your DSDT, but only internal speakers and headphone jack. Internal microphone and microphone via headphone jack don't work. I only have AppleHDA. Do I need to patch it as per Joshhh's instructions?

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x69\x50\xf1\x14|\x6e\x50\xf1\x14|g' AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Also I can confirm that eSata works flawlessly.

Thanks a lot for all the work you put into that - you made OSX a daily driver on my T420!

UPDATE: I just ran Joshhh's script and now all the audio-ports work as expected

Edited by crumpo

Mic via jack will work if you use headset like iPhone use or any other smartphones, my headset from Xperia doesn't work, mono mic with mini-jack works if I put it halfway

Audio works great with your DSDT, but only internal speakers and headphone jack. Internal microphone and microphone via headphone jack don't work. I only have AppleHDA. Do I need to patch it as per Joshhh's instructions?

Also I can confirm that eSata works flawlessly.

Thanks a lot for all the work you put into that - you made OSX a daily driver on my T420!

UPDATE: I just ran Joshhh's script and now all the audio-ports work as expected

• Like 1

Mic via jack will work if you use headset like iPhone use or any other smartphones, my headset from Xperia doesn't work, mono mic with mini-jack works if I put it halfway

Yep, I can confirm this. Just had a skype call using an (aftermarket) iphone headset.

Has anyone had any luck going to 10.7.4? I tried it a few days ago and can't for the life of me get my networking to work. I also couldn't boot without using the kernel from 10.7.3, would panic immediately. With the older kernel, it would load up, but no networking at all.

I use it for work, so in the end did a TM restore to get back up and running without too much tinkering, but I tried:

Replacing my kexts with those I backed up

Copying all the kexts from /Extra/Extensions back to /S/L/E

Everything appears fine, except the networking end...which is pretty important. :wink2:

Apart from networking (does neither ethernet nor wifi work or is it just ethernet?) does anything else give you trouble (with the restored kexts?)

Thanks

I couldn't get either wifi nor the ethernet to work. I will likely give it a whirl again in a week or two (laptop is plugged in at the office and I'm about to start vacation), but I will post my results again later when I try a second time. I'll give the new DSDT a whirl at the same time.

Hello Guys

i apologize for my poor skills on osx86 matter, i played a lot when there were Tiger.. but i almost forgot all..

I have installed my T420, ib00t method with 10.7 USB (-x to avoid kernel panics) on GUID HDD, cloned on MBR, installed 10.7.3 combo update, patch with muItibeast 4.5.2 following your list and removed (with a backup) AppleHDA.kext. Just installed Chimera without any DSDT.aml files.

Machine works without any flag on boot, with no audio, no usb support and without all stuff you fixed (exacly as described in the 1st post).

I tried twice to install your DSDT file and i got 2 different issue: 1st time i have my screen divided in 4smaller screens, that showed flickering finder and i was able to log in the machine, second time i got kernel panic also with -x boot.

I tried to do same changes you did to your DSDT starting from mine one.. got DSDTED and try to watch this video (

)

EDIT 22*06*2012

but before do any changes i fall in same issue described here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253892

So... please can anyone help me to understand how can i do same patches on my dsdt to get same results? i remember that when i copy a kext in S/L/Extension folder with terminal i had to re-assign the right attributes doing "sudo chown - R root:wheel S/L/E/mykext.ext and chmod -755 S/L/E/mykext.ext. Is it already right procedure?

Resolved with this post http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=574570&sid=ee555e611b04596f2cc4184f069ef14b#p574570

Thanks a lot

Do anyone knows how there is a good tutorial for DSDT Editing? i am not able to find all the info for find compile error. DSDTED shows some fix but not all.

Thanks a lot

Bye

Roby

dsdt.zip

Newbie here: I have a Thinkpad T420 with integrated graphics. Is upgrading between 10.7.x versions difficult, or does it just work?

Anything I should be careful about as I install 10.7 with this guide? Can I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux on my SSD, or does OS X need to be the only OS on the drive?

Finally, has anyone tried 10.8 yet on their T420? Will there be an upgrade path from 10.7.x or do you have to do a fresh install? If that latter, I may wait until 10.8 is released.

Thanks for your patience and help!

Newbie here: I have a Thinkpad T420 with integrated graphics. Is upgrading between 10.7.x versions difficult, or does it just work?

Anything I should be careful about as I install 10.7 with this guide? Can I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux on my SSD, or does OS X need to be the only OS on the drive?

Finally, has anyone tried 10.8 yet on their T420? Will there be an upgrade path from 10.7.x or do you have to do a fresh install? If that latter, I may wait until 10.8 is released.

Thanks for your patience and help!

Mate, take a look to this post: it is almost the same you would like to do

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098

Cheers

Thanks for posting this, there is also a post that should help us get the cardreader working: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098&start=111 If I find the time, I'll give it a spin next weekend.

Unfortunately, the sd card reader driver didn't work for me.

Hello Guys

i apologize for my poor skills on osx86 matter, i played a lot when there were Tiger.. but i almost forgot all..

I have installed my T420, ib00t method with 10.7 USB (-x to avoid kernel panics) on GUID HDD, cloned on MBR, installed 10.7.3 combo update, patch with muItibeast 4.5.2 following your list and removed (with a backup) AppleHDA.kext. Just installed Chimera without any DSDT.aml files.

Machine works without any flag on boot, with no audio, no usb support and without all stuff you fixed (exacly as described in the 1st post).

I tried twice to install your DSDT file and i got 2 different issue: 1st time i have my screen divided in 4smaller screens, that showed flickering finder and i was able to log in the machine, second time i got kernel panic also with -x boot.

I tried to do same changes you did to your DSDT starting from mine one.. got DSDTED and try to watch this video (

)

EDIT 22*06*2012

but before do any changes i fall in same issue described here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253892

So... please can anyone help me to understand how can i do same patches on my dsdt to get same results? i remember that when i copy a kext in S/L/Extension folder with terminal i had to re-assign the right attributes doing "sudo chown - R root:wheel S/L/E/mykext.ext and chmod -755 S/L/E/mykext.ext. Is it already right procedure?

Resolved with this post http://forum.thinkpa...69ef14b#p574570

Thanks a lot

Do anyone knows how there is a good tutorial for DSDT Editing? i am not able to find all the info for find compile error. DSDTED shows some fix but not all.

Thanks a lot

Bye

Roby

I can't use the file uploader right now for some unknown reason, so I'm just listing the changes that you have to make to get yours to compile with the DSDT Editor and Patcher (I have version 0.7):

Error Message | Fix

11014 Remark Use of compiler reserved name (_T_0) | Replace all instances of _T_0 with T_0

6497 Warning Reserved method must return a value (Integer/String/Buffer/Package/Reference required for _DSM) | Add Return (Package (0x02) {Zero, Zero}) to the end of the method that starts at the given line number

4635 Warning Not all control paths return a value (_Q16) | Add Return (Zero) to the end of the method that starts at the given line number

The remaining issues can be fixed automatically by the program, but just requires renaming the given names (most of them required change of Buffer => Package)

Intel HD3000 Buffer Hang Update

Thanks for posting the DSDT edits. Got my T420 going on 10.7.4.

But… Unlike manwe150 (and others), my T420 is plagued with “apparent hang in Main graphics engine” to point of making it unusable in “laptop mode”. Meaning, I can run the laptop with lid closed and external monitor without issue. The issue crops up immediately with lid open hitting say Mission Control.

The only fix/workaround to eliminate buffer hang that works for my system (Lenovo T420 with i5-2520m + HD3000 only) when using the LCD (aka LVDS), is to run Quartz Debug (4.2) and check “Disable 2D Acceleration”.

I tried a number of other HD3000 fix/recipes without any success. – all will result in hang the LCD. Sometimes it will clear on its own, but more often a hard reset is required. These approaches did not work for me:

• Modified AppleSNBGraphicFB.kext (bcc9 method) to have LVDS only – hang
  • Changed physical memory from 8 to 4GB.
  • Changed virtual memory for video (288, 512 etc) in both SNB (hex edit) and HD3000 (plist variables.)
  • Changed VRAMOveride in HD3000 kext plist to 2000000
  • SwitchResX (define custom display mode on LCD)

There seems to be a bug in the HD3000 drivers, that WILL NOT allow the sytem render to the LVDS without error/hang.

Note: mirrored display with external works but then my high-res external is lower res and don’t need a mirror. Also rotating the LCD prevents hangs. But both are pretty useless. Atleast i have a working laptop until 10.8 can be tested on it.

Hey,

But… Unlike manwe150 (and others), my T420 is plagued with “apparent hang in Main graphics engine” to point of making it unusable in “laptop mode”. Meaning, I can run the laptop with lid closed and external monitor without issue. The issue crops up immediately with lid open hitting say Mission Control.

The only fix/workaround to eliminate buffer hang that works for my system (Lenovo T420 with i5-2520m + HD3000 only) when using the LCD (aka LVDS), is to run Quartz Debug (4.2) and check “Disable 2D Acceleration”.

this might be a bit of a long shot, but did you try to downgrade your bios (as mentioned in the 1st post)? I'm on 1.33 (83ET63WW) now and my system runs very stable. With newer BIOSes I experienced lots of artifacts and stuttering.

Atleast i have a working laptop until 10.8 can be tested on it.

Interesting...could you give some details how you managed to update to 10.7.4? Others seem to have had trouble w/networking.

thanks

I tried a number of other HD3000 fix/recipes without any success. – all will result in hang the LCD. Sometimes it will clear on its own, but more often a hard reset is required. These approaches did not work for me:

• Modified AppleSNBGraphicFB.kext (bcc9 method) to have LVDS only – hang
  • Changed physical memory from 8 to 4GB.
  • Changed virtual memory for video (288, 512 etc) in both SNB (hex edit) and HD3000 (plist variables.)
  • Changed VRAMOveride in HD3000 kext plist to 2000000
  • SwitchResX (define custom display mode on LCD)

There seems to be a bug in the HD3000 drivers, that WILL NOT allow the sytem render to the LVDS without error/hang.

Note: mirrored display with external works but then my high-res external is lower res and don’t need a mirror. Also rotating the LCD prevents hangs. But both are pretty useless. Atleast i have a working laptop until 10.8 can be tested on it.

I've run into probably the same problem. Lots of "hangs" when going to graphical display with only a hard reset to get out of. I'm running 10.7.4 and no DSDT edit seemed to help (BIOS version 1.39). I'm trying now the DSDT found at

http://www.osx86.net/view/1880-thinkpad_t420.html

Maybe it'll work.

I've run into probably the same problem. Lots of "hangs" when going to graphical display with only a hard reset to get out of. I'm running 10.7.4 and no DSDT edit seemed to help (BIOS version 1.39). I'm trying now the DSDT found at

http://www.osx86.net...nkpad_t420.html

Maybe it'll work.

THIS THIS THIS! Finally I found someone with my problem! I have installed 10.7.2 successfully on a Thinkpad T420 4177 (i5 2450 Intel HD 3000 only, 4 GB RAM) Wifi works with patched BIOS provided in this thread with a Dell 1510 card I bought for less than $5 on eBay. Thanks so much to Manwe150 for this he is a legend. Without this guide I don't know where I would have been haha. Hes helped me a lot via private message too. I have resolution at full 1600x900 but I have also unfortunately been experiencing a lot of lag and hangs when doing light graphic stuff. Microsoft Word is un-usable...can't even scroll. Mission Control operates at 0.1 frames per second (exaggeration obviously but its unusable). I have heavy artifacting veyr time I select stuff on the desktop. Anyone know a sure fix for this? I have the same BIOS as manwe150, the one that patched the blacklist for the wifi card. I forget what version.

THIS THIS THIS! Finally I found someone with my problem! I have installed 10.7.2 successfully on a Thinkpad T420 4177 (i5 2450 Intel HD 3000 only, 4 GB RAM) Wifi works with patched BIOS provided in this thread with a Dell 1510 card I bought for less than $5 on eBay. Thanks so much to Manwe150 for this he is a legend. Without this guide I don't know where I would have been haha. Hes helped me a lot via private message too. I have resolution at full 1600x900 but I have also unfortunately been experiencing a lot of lag and hangs when doing light graphic stuff. Microsoft Word is un-usable...can't even scroll. Mission Control operates at 0.1 frames per second (exaggeration obviously but its unusable). I have heavy artifacting veyr time I select stuff on the desktop. Anyone know a sure fix for this? I have the same BIOS as manwe150, the one that patched the blacklist for the wifi card. I forget what version.

Sorry, to not be more specific: my graphics problem occurred only at boot time, when switching to graphics display it frequently hanged at either a blue screen or when I edited the DSDT at the (verbose) boot screen. With the above mentioned DSDT.aml, I seem to have no such hangs. The resolution I have is 1368x768. Sorry, to not be of more help, but my knowledge is very limited.

Check out my post about video hangs. You may have the same issue. Was a simple fix if it is.

presumably that worked because it disabled the video driver. do you still have QE/CI? hardware acceleration? display resolutions? displayport output?

From what I can tell they are both disabled. I have a forced resolution of 1600x900 as well. All in all though, things are working fine except for a lack of screensavers, and I also noticed one problem with Mail in that I can't hit the link for "See more from XYZ person", it won't show the information there. I may mess with it more using your new DSDT, and going to 10.7.4. I'm still on 10.7.3 as I had issues with networking when I tried to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to update to 10.8 (possibly as described at http://www.tonymacx8...l-based-pc.html) yet?

Update 1:

I installed Mountain Lion as described by the guide (fresh install), I just had to add the mbr patch to the usb stick after the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ran thru.

After the installation I ran ###### as per first post here using Manwe's DSDT and installed the patched AppleHDA.kext by Joshhh. I did not attempt to patch powermanagement kext so far (running on NullCPUPowerManagement, so no sleep) and voodoobattery doesn't work, but apart from that it's running great. I use the T420 as a workstation with dock and two external monitors, so this definitly does the trick for me. Will test later, if the internal display works (without patching).

Update 2:

Internal display shows the login inscreen in correct resolution, but turns white (with mouse pointer visible) after login. Will try later with the patched kext for lion

Cheers,

crumpo

Edited by crumpo

Hi crumpo.

Yes, I have tried 10.8, following http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1627

The system boots okay from the USB.

Then, I added the extra folder from my current 10.7.2, replaced AppleIntelCPU... with current patched one, added AppleHDA patched...

Almost all works fine but the HD3000 is not detected, using same SMBIOS as 10.7.2.

Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks.

MOUNTAIN LION UPDATE:

Okay. So I tried installing per this guy's guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280756

Using USB Method after Buying off App Store from Lion and doing various mods and such described in the guide

I get to the installer fine and all but can someone tell me why the hell the color of my monitor is so weird, and I can only see half of the installer screen. Finding the agree button on the terms and conditions part is freaking near impossible, but at least I was able to drag the Disk Utility window to the left a little. The screen stayed the same until after the installation. Booted into ML. (omg so happy). But the screen was still the friggin the same I'm only looking at the left part of the screen. I can move my cursor to the right but I cant see it. Also something is really wrong with the color and the pixels. Suspecting soemthing to do with retina display? idk. I have the HD3000. I'll post a picture in the morning its pretty late. I'ma sleep. Can't wait to get Mountain Lion up and running! Hopefully you guys can help me. I honestly don't know what to do next. I'm thinking of patching the DSDT with Manwes but idk if thats a good idea or not lol. Well if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. haha

My system Specs:

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 4177

Intel Core i5 2450m

Factory 4 GB Ram

Intel HD3000 Graphics

Hi crumpo.

Yes, I have tried 10.8, following http://olarila.com/f...php?f=27&t=1627

The system boots okay from the USB.

Then, I added the extra folder from my current 10.7.2, replaced AppleIntelCPU... with current patched one, added AppleHDA patched...

Almost all works fine but the HD3000 is not detected, using same SMBIOS as 10.7.2.

Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks.

WOAH! You're way ahead of me haha. Have you tried patching the DSDT with ######? Use Manwe150's that was posted somewhere in this thread. I hear its compatible with Lion as well as ML. It should be the same ML isn't that much different than Lion itself. Other than we hackintosh community members have to scramble all over the place to get it running stable again haha

A slight update: Manwe's patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext for Lion seems to work flawlessly in Mountain Lion. Only things that are missing now are

- sleep

- battery indicator

as always, any hints are more than welcome :)

Sleep may be fixed same way as T510 does

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274164&hl=&fromsearch=1

battery indicator may be fixed the same way I did replace 16 bit registers by two 8 bit

A slight update: Manwe's patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext for Lion seems to work flawlessly in Mountain Lion. Only things that are missing now are

- sleep

- battery indicator

as always, any hints are more than welcome :)

Sleep may be fixed same way as T510 does

http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1

Thanks, I'll try to take a closer look at it on the weekend

battery indicator may be fixed the same way I did replace 16 bit registers by two 8 bit

can't follow you here, but the kext from http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=1384 did the trick for me - battery indicator now works as expected; battery information is also shown correctly in system profiler.

So only sleep left until we're golden :)

If someone could share the pack (kexts, smbios.plist (8.1?), org.chameleon.Boot.plist....) :-)

i will if i succeed as i've already done for T410 and Compaq mini311

T420 i5 2450m HD3000.

I think i would be a good practice to put config in signature, what do u think about this guys