[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

Hi, can anybody help me with my problem. I was able to use this guide to install lion onto my t520 instead of t420. Everything is working fine except for one thing. Whenever I enter sleep mode and wake up from it, all my usb ports would stop working. It will not detect anything anymore unless I restart. Since I am using the airline 5088, this cause me to lose internet connection whenever I enter sleep mode. If anybody know how I can fix this, please let me know. Thank you

Which T520 model number and what graphics option does it have (NVIDIA NVS 4200M Graphics with Optimus or just the Intel 3100)?

I've got wireless working with a Dell 1397. This required patching the bios to remove the wireless card whitelist that lenovo has on all of their machines.

Although it was risky, it was certainly worth not having to carry an external USB wireless device with me wherever I go.

Could you post your bios and would/could you modify one for a Dell 1510?

I've got wireless working with a Dell 1397. This required patching the bios to remove the wireless card whitelist that lenovo has on all of their machines.

Although it was risky, it was certainly worth not having to carry an external USB wireless device with me wherever I go.

ok so i can boot without rBoot DVD but i have to boot with arch=i386 (thats not good because i have 6GB RAM), and i don't have webcam working

could anybody try if his webcam is working in 10.7.2 and if it is working upload kexts that can do something with camera? my FaceTime shows message "There is no connected camera", in 10.7.1 it was working

• 1 month later...

Any updates/progress?

I just purchased a Thinkpad with a 2520 i5 and integrated graphics; I'm mainly just looking to get QE/CI, sleep, and speedstep working. I'm a little hesitant to update/modify the BIOS, but it seems pretty straightforward?

Edit: Sorry, I'm mainly looking to see if the brightness of the screen can be controlled in System Preferences, or if any progress was made on getting the Brightness/Function buttons to work.

Finally got 10.7 to install, but when I reboot I get a KP regarding the AHCI or something talking about the USB. Was the original method using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or was it done with a retail install followed by using Lion Extra packages?

Any information would be appreciated.

Any updates/progress?

I just purchased a Thinkpad with a 2520 i5 and integrated graphics; I'm mainly just looking to get QE/CI, sleep, and speedstep working. I'm a little hesitant to update/modify the BIOS, but it seems pretty straightforward?

Edit: Sorry, I'm mainly looking to see if the brightness of the screen can be controlled in System Preferences, or if any progress was made on getting the Brightness/Function buttons to work.

All of those items work w/o needing to modify the BIOS. Brightness cannot be controlled via the standard Fn Home/End, but can be remapped to any other key combination from System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts->Display

Sounds good. I finally got the main OS installed to MBR with an appropriate (and loading!) boot loader.

Using the DSDT from the first post results in a kernel panic; likely as a result of the Optimus video switching.

Does anybody have one available for T420 that only have the integrated graphics option?

My last hurdle would be to get sleep working, and as it runs without a DSDT and with the IntelPM patch, it seems to almost enter complete sleep, but not quite. I imagine the USB power level change would be all that I'd need, I just don't know how to only use that part of the DSDT.

Wow, so I didn't realize that DSDT patching was quite easy with standard chipset patches. In any case, if anybody else has a T420 with only integrated graphics, I attached the DSDT I made that lets the computer sleep and enables brightness. Keep in mind that ApplePowermanagement will need to be patched as per the first post as well.

T420DSDT.aml.zip

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to get my T420 working for the last few days, and not a whole lot of luck. I had to add in the DSDT from the first post to my install USB or I had the issues that others were seeing where it was much too wide, and most of the screen was impossible to see. That got me installing, but am seeing a lot of issues when up and running. Mainly these are graphics glitches (lots of them), I have tried both DSDT's on this post, and no luck there. I also am having frequent lockups, generally when launching apps. Mouse works fine, but unable to click anything, type, etc. Generally I get a graphic glitch on screen at the same time. Any ideas?

EDIT: After 30s - 1min (or more sometimes) whatever was supposed to launch eventually does, and the graphic glitches resolve themselves. I can then type/click, etc.

I also tried my docking station for the first time today, and am getting a power management (ACPIPlatform kext) crash on boot when I use it. Don't have this issue when not docked. I have not messed with the sleep kexts or anything at this point, so will do that once I give those a go.

Power management working great, using kext from this post: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1797969

Also remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and adding -allowAppleCPUPM to kernel boot flags as noted in original post.

Dock works fine, and outputs to both external screen (over DVI) and laptop screen. I cannot get it to display two different displays over DVI and VGA. It will provide signal to both but they mirror display, not separate. The OS only recognizes one display, not two when in this state. I don't think I'll have any luck here, based on previous posts about docking stations.

EDIT2 - SOLVED - After a hint from Manwe150 about possible BIOS related issues to my graphics bugs, I installed the whitelist free BIOS hack listed in this thread. That resolved my problems! screen tearing and artifact issues.

EDIT3 - Still graphic issues, but no screen tearing or anything like before. I think I am hitting this problem: http://www.insanelym...pic=259705&st=0 Need to tinker with this a lot, but way over my head as to settings to try. I'll post back if I make any progress. If anyone is interested, I took a video of the graphics issue I'm facing:

EDIT4 - Video hangs are fixed! After hunting all over, I found some hints about new kexts in 10.7.3 that might be causing some pain. I removed all AppleIntelHD* out of /S/L/E and rebuilt the caches.

For those that might be encountering issues, check your console logs for messages similar to this:

****  Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine  ****
<snip>
VRSYNC: (0x12044) = 0x2cc
BRSYNC: (0x22040) = 0x0
RVSYNC: (0x 2040) = 0x0
BVSYNC: (0x22044) = 0x0
RBSYNC: (0x 2044) = 0x0
VBSYNC: (0x12040) = 0x0
<snip>

Leaving a video of my issues out there for people to view also, in case you experience the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBOHXaVg3eI

Reinstalling for try to get a simply how-to to prevent a few of these issues. Here are couple things to modify after a fresh install is complete (even before it reboots):

# vi /Volumes/<osx install="" disk="">/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist
Delete:
<string>DeviceSection</string>
<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

# rm -rf /Volumes/<osx install="" disk="">/Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

</osx></osx></snip></snip>

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to test when I go into the office next week, I left the laptop there. If I remember, VGA out was working, but it wasn't displaying a separate output, just mirrored the laptop display. I don't have a way to test HDMI out at work, but I might bring it home to test.

Boot back into the installer, and follow what I put in my post:

# vi /Volumes/<osx install>/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist
Delete:
<string>DeviceSection</string>
<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

Reboot.

HOWEVER you will need to have the PS2 kexts installed on the OSX install as well. I would suggest you put them on your USB you are booting with under /Extra/Extensions. If you have already done that, and you can type/move your mouse, you should be set.

Also, it looks like you didn't try the DSDT's posted to the thread either, since you have the screen resolution that’s going off screen. Try the one on the main post, and there is also another one later in another thread (although it didn't work for me). If you get it to display properly, but get slow video when doing large amounts of display changes, then remove the kexts I suggested.

• Like 1

May be a permissions issue. Maybe install kext utility and have it repair things. Or just chown -R root:wheel all of your kexts and try rebooting.

For YouTube if you are getting a black screen right click and pick options. Make sure you have enable hardware acceleration turned off.

• Like 1

All of those items work w/o needing to modify the BIOS. Brightness cannot be controlled via the standard Fn Home/End, but can be remapped to any other key combination from System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts->Display

After the PNLF DSDT edit, I have the brightness slider in my Display Prefpane, but do not have a Display option under Keyboard Shortcuts. I have a Contrast option under Universal Access, but that's not what I need. Did you have to do anything else to make Display show up in keyboard shortcuts? Thanks

EDIT: I have VoodooPS2Controller.kext installed. If I remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, the Display option appears in keyboard shortcuts, but my mouse and keyboard stop working. I have tried installing the ThinkpadUltraNav.kext both standalone and bundled in VoodooPS2Controller.kext with the same result. VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext does not seem to be working for me. This is still on my T420 with 10.7.1.

EDIT2: I have now tried several versions of VoodooPS2Controller. For those that make my keyboard work, the Display option is not present under Keyboard Shortcuts. Those that do not work with my keyboard do show the Display item. This is true even when AppleACPIPS2Nub is loaded. I have tried booting both in 32 bit and 64 bit with the same result.

A modified 32/64 bit VoodooPS2 is here http://forum.voodoop...php?topic=718.0 They are noted to be for 10.6 only, but still gave them a shot.

I have also tried a tool called SpecialKeys that sounded quite promising, and was specifically noted working on a ThinkPad. Its default mapping is stated to restore the Thinkpad's original Fn-Home and Fn-End for brightness control. However, it never could connect to the modified VoodooPS2Keyboard it comes with for me. http://forum.thinkpa...hp?f=32&t=93098 I would be interested to know is this works for others.

I am currently using the Brightness menulet that places an icon with a slider in the menu bar. http://www.macupdate...1385/brightness

It works quite well, but I would still REALLY like to be able to map keyboard keys to brightness, and just to understand why currently I cannot enable the Display option with VoodooPS2.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have Lenovo T420 "4180-AH4" with the following specifications:

- Intel ® Core™ i5-2520 M

- Only Integrated HD 3000 "0x0126"

- Ram DDR3 4GB

- Intel 82579LM Gigabyte Network Connection

I managed in installing Lion (10.7 - Then updated with Combo update 10.7.2) on my external HDD WS "250 GB" formatted in MBR.

When I have used the attaced DSDT file in the initial post and it cause the screen to be black after the booting "Dual Link-Backlight" as described in the link below , but I think network was working fine, so I used a patched DSDT file found on the internet and now display is working fine but with these issues

- Enthernet is now connecting but fail to obtain intenet connectivity "DHCP-Manaually" - EthernetbuildIn used in start up - Kext AppleIntelE1000

- The battery/AC is not recognizable by the system

http://www.tonymacx8...a0f00229b33ce1c

Also I am having another trouble installed XCode, it says you have to upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.6, Altough "About Mac" says that I have version 10.7.2

I have tried to edit the DSDT file but I am not that experienced enough to do so :((, so if someone can help me about it, that would be GREAT.

The used files are attached, I need to compine the two 2 DSDT files, so I can use the one in the initial post but contains the fix for dual link as described in the above link.

Thanks a lot.

DSDT.zip

Any ideas what is wrong here?

t420 Intel graphics, no discrete adapter.

Using BIOS 1.37 whitelisted modded BIOS with modded DSDT.

Verbose boot ends with:

Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate Failed [181000]

DSMOS has arrived

macx_swapon SUCCESS

It _does_ complete the boot as I can hear volume changing from the speakers, I can blindly log in and I can even reboot by pressing Power 'r' Enter.

So I know its not frozen. The graphics ID is 8086 0126.

I have tried with and without all AppleIntel* kexts on the system.

I have tried with and without graphicsenabler=yes / no

I have tried PCIRootUID=0 /1 /2

I have tried DSDT with only RTC fix applied.

If anyone cares, I have also attached my DSDT for reference.

I changed the name of the graphics device to GFX0, removed references to cores that I dont have.

Matched the other Madl0n mods that he posted in another dsdt for the t420.

GFX0-i5DSDT.AML.zip