[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

Anyone here who got the DVI Port running with 10.8.3 on the nvs4200m version? Its the only thing I still need for a perfect Mac.

EDIT:

I got the nvs4200 running :D I booted with -nosmp and it is working. Now my Hackbook is Perfekt :D

ok maybe everyone else already figured this out... but was getting and error 70012 when running DVDplayer. fixed it by adding this kext:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext -- see this thread - #8

@A2A - great news - thanks for sharing how you did it!

@verleihnix - very cool. well not sure how exactly much it is really making a difference - but its running the AGPM functions now!

i just change the string IGPU to Vendor8086Device0126 in the MacBookPro8,1 section.

$ diff Info-orig.plist Info.plist

2439c2439

< <key>IGPU</key>

---

> <key>Vendor8086Device0126</key>

@verleihnix - very cool. well not sure how exactly much it is really making a difference - but its running the AGPM functions now!

i just change the string IGPU to Vendor8086Device0126 in the MacBookPro8,1 section.

$ diff Info-orig.plist Info.plist

2439c2439

< <key>IGPU</key>

---

> <key>Vendor8086Device0126</key>

That's the way I did it too.

I think I messed up some extensions. After the initial configuration, my subsequent boot from a 10.8.3 ML hard drive goes very slow and stops for a long time at this line

SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported ship ID=0xffff

It then moves forward by itself but I cannot not use mouse or keyboard, not even the external ones.

So, now I cannot go past the login screen.

My initial config screen also showed the same error and was very very slow.

I have removed ApplePS2Controller.kext and restored VoodooPS2Controller.kext but still no luck.

Please help.

UPDATE:

I was able to get the keyboard and trackpad to work by restoring my original S/L/E and the reapplying the pack given by @tluck in post #238. Also, it boots up in under 30secs if I do not use -f -v options. Internal audio/video, launch pad work great. Airlink USB wifi works fine. Any suggestions to replace the internal wifi card?

External Monitor VGA does not work either directly or through a dock but DVI works great .. Yay! Can I have VGA work as well?

Following are not working:

1. Internal ethernet.

2. When I close the lid, it switches to external monitor which would have been fine except for the fact that there is no way to put it to sleep. When I choose sleep through menu bar, fan keeps running and I have to hold down the power button to restart. This is not ideal.

3. Trackpoint worked fine in the installer but it doesn't work after the install. I really like thinkpad's trackpoint.

My previous attempt did not fly at all and this is still better than I expected. Thanks for your help!

As soon as I put AppleIntelE1000e.kext inside/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ my keyboard, mouse, trackpad stop working and I cannot login. When booting with -f -v, I still see an annoying SuperIODevice; [Fatal] found unsupported ship ID=0xffff but now it just stays at that line without moving foward. I have to get the ethernet to work. Is there any other way?

Last line on the screen reads Resetting IOCatalogue. So I have removed AppleIntelE1000e.kext for now.

@LostVampire try using the files provided in post #164. That files are working very well for me. My machine is running OSX 10.8.3 . Do you have the nvs4200m or the Intel HD only version?

As a wifi card I am using the Dell 1510, its cheap and fast and it has native support.

@LostVampire

-the SuperIODevice error is "normal" for laptops and i understand it to be related to the FakeSMC plug-in stuff and not have some extra mobo chip. i get this error every boot.

-hmm. odd. when you are putting the E1000e kext in place, (make sure the root:wheel owns it) ... so

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelE1000e.kext
sudo cp -rp AppleIntelE1000e.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Note: the version i am currently on 2.2.14 from hnak site:

• Like 1

@LostVampire - a couple more notes:

1) the SNBGraphicsFB kext from post 238 does have VGA as the 4th buffer. i have to close the lid and open it for VGA - it seems to rescan the connections it get to display anything on VGA - DVI/DP/HDMI is a bit more automatic. without a dock, the 2 side ports (DP/VGA) work.

2) VoodooPSController (1.8) now combines the 3 older kext functions of ApplePS2Controller, AppleACPIPS2Nub and ThinkpadUltraNav... with this new kext, i get all 3 working: trackpad, red nub (both sets of left/right buttons) and external mouse with wheel scroll/click.

3) sleep. the apple os will not automatically sleep a laptop when you close the lid AND/WHEN an external display is connected. e.g. at home, i run my laptop docked with lid closed (to avoid dreaded buffer hangs) and it is connected to a 24 inch monitor on DisplayPort. when undocked, with just the LCD display, the lid open and close action will do the sleep/resume.

Note: the version i am currently on 2.2.14 from hnak site:

hnak's version of

AppleIntelE1000e

kext

from sourceforge worked great. I didn't even have to restart the machine.

1) the SNBGraphicsFB kext from post 238 does have VGA as the 4th buffer. i have to close the lid and open it for VGA - it seems to rescan the connections it get to display anything on VGA - DVI/DP/HDMI is a bit more automatic. without a dock, the 2 side ports (DP/VGA) work.

2) VoodooPS2Controller (1.8) now combines the 3 older kext functions of ApplePS2Controller, AppleACPIPS2Nub and ThinkpadUltraNav... with this new kext, i get all 3 working: trackpad, red nub (both sets of left/right buttons) and external mouse with wheel scroll/click.

3) sleep. the apple os will not automatically sleep a laptop when you close the lid AND/WHEN an external display is connected. e.g. at home, i run my laptop docked with lid closed (to avoid dreaded buffer hangs) and it is connected to a 24 inch monitor on DisplayPort. when undocked, with just the LCD display, the lid open and close action will do the sleep/resume.

VoodooPS2Controller worked like a charm this time. I am still having a hard time with sleep. I tried both in the dock and outside the dock, without power cable, the laptop goes to sleep fine but it just doesn't wake up. I have to power cycle.

@LostVampire try using the files provided in post #164. That files are working very well for me. My machine is running OSX 10.8.3 . Do you have the nvs4200m or the Intel HD only version?

As a wifi card I am using the Dell 1510, its cheap and fast and it has native support.

I have Intel HD only. I do not have nvs4200m. I will try replacing some of my extensions with those in post #164.

Dell 1510 wireless card is only about $7 with free ship on ebay and it gives wireless N!

You guys are so awesome!

@LostVampire

since you are running 10.8.3 and have HD only - i refer you to the extra/dsdt/kexts zip in post 238. post 164 has 10.8.2.

Note: For sleep to work (ie resume/wakeup), you will have to replace the 10.8.3 AppleACPIPlatform.kext with an older version, as well as have the dsdt with EHCI fixes.(again the stuff in #238 will cover it.)

@A2A - did you have to install a modded bios for the dell 1510 wifi card? i may get around to replacing the wifi card yet!

@LostVampire

since you are running 10.8.3 and have HD only - i refer you to the extra/dsdt/kexts zip in post 238. post 164 has 10.8.2.

Note: For sleep to work (ie resume/wakeup), you will have to replace the 10.8.3 AppleACPIPlatform.kext with an older version, as well as have the dsdt with EHCI fixes.(again the stuff in #238 will cover it.)

I am only using the 10.8.3 pack from post 238 for now. I even reverted

AppleACPIPlatform.kext back to the one from that pack, same for dsdt and everything else. Trying to wake up from sleep is impossible.

While experimenting with sleep and power cycle, DVI port through the dock stopped working and the external monitor automatically switched to VGA. This would not be a big deal provided image on the external monitor didn't shift about four inches to the left, horizontally leaving a black border on the right. I have reverted all my changes, restored the working SLE but cannot get the DVI port to work. I am using everything from the 10.8.3 pack in #238.

UPDATE:

VGA works fine now. Perhaps it had something do with with the fact that I restored the following kexts

spcidrv.kext

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

I tried to restore NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but it gave me a kernel panic. I would like to know whether you have these three kexts or any other kexts from the unibeest or myhack usb stick in your SLE that I might be missing.

Waking up from sleep is the only remaining issue that I still care about.

@tluck yes, you need a modded bios, but there are good tutorials out there. It is not much more than one mouseclick. The only thing is that my machine beeps sometimes when I start it, but I can just ignore that.

@lostvampire -

not sure why your box won't sleep if you have the exact same /Extra files and kexts from 238.

you will not need NullCPUPM when you have the AppleCPUPM kext patched working to for SpeedStep.

note: the 238 kext pack has a patched10.8 RTC (not sure if its anything different - same rev 1.5)

what is spcidrv.kext ?

@tluck thanks for being so patient with me. I have the same DSDT as #238

lspcidrv.kext and atched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext came with myHack. I have removed them now.

I have also removed NullCPUPM as I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from #238

In addition, myHack automatically removed the following kexts

ApplePolicyControl.kext

AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

I am using Lenovo T420 8GB 2.49 GHz Intel Core i5 HD 3000 graphics OSX 10.8.3

If someone has a system identical to mine and it is working correctly, could you please upload the SLE? I will replace mine entirely.

I am using the following org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EnableHDMIAudio</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

@lostvampire

- you seem to have the same box as me.

well. i did not use the myhack approach to create my installer. but that shouldnt matter.

essentially i installed 10.8.2 (or 10.8.3) and then replaced all the kexts in SLE with ones in the post. there are no extra ones.

then i copy the /Extra folder to root. there is nothing in /Extra/Extensions.

installed chimera/chameleon bootloader and thats it.

@tluck one big difference is that I installed 10.8.3 straight instead of installing 10.8.2 first and then upgrading to 10.8.3. So I have two choices now.

1. Get 10.8.2 SLE from somewhere to replace my SLE

OR

2. Reinstall 10.8.2 OSX and then upgrade to 10.8.3.

and in the end, apply the pack from your post #238

I have run into problems in booting up from a windows partition when I have reinstalled OSX on the HFS partition in the past, so I am a little hesitant to take the second approach.

@verleihnix

nice. thanks for the ssdt ! i am seeing x8, 12, 16, x30 now whereas before i mostly just saw x8 and x30!

@LostVampire

it should not matter whether you install 10.8.2 and upgrade with the combo patch to 10.8.3 or install 10.8.3. directly.

I cannot explain or understand your lack of sleep/wake if you have same dsdt and are using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.3.5) aka snow-leopard.

• Like 1

Over at Tony's forum I found an AGPM injector.

Here it is fitted for our needs.

So we can leave AGPM kext vanilla.

can you tell us what this is aimed to on our T420? what will we have by using this?

can you had your answer in the previous post, so that i'll delete this one