[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted new bundle for 10.8.5 - its for UEFI boot but it can be used for Chameleon.  post #397

the big thing(s) are:

Update 29-Sep-2013

• Revised DSDT
    • for native AppleACPIPlatform kext - no need to rollback or patch this kext - use unmodified v1.8 from 10.8.5
  • Updated ACPIBatteryManager (1.40 from RehabMan)
    • works with new DSDT for stock/standard AppleACPIPlatform kext
  • Updated FakeSMC v877 - kozlek's ver
    • includes modified ACPI/Plugin Info.plist to remove DISABLED features so FAN speed shows up in HWMonitor (with stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext )
  • Updated VoodooPS2Controller (v1.8.8 from RehabMan)
  • AppleHDA.kext  for 10.8.5 and CX20590
  • Patched AppleIntelCPUPM kext
  • Patched Bluetooth kext Info.plist

• 4 weeks later...

i can't get any osx to work with my t420 (type 4180-b95 has nvs 4200m) and I'm not sure where to start.

ive tired lion, mountain lion and mavericks. i preferably want mavericks but will start where i need to, i even tried pulling the HD out of a macbook and booting that

currently when i try to boot the usb installer for any version of the os i made (which worked on a real mac at least 10.7 and 10.9 did) it does what it did in this video

My t420 Video also if i back out of that black screen wight eh small dash if it lets me it goes back to clover but it is frozen most of the time

when i try to boot the lion from a real mac i get this version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform

reason: 4180b95

but when i boot the recovery partition it goes to  a white screen with a beach ball after verbose mode but if i try with the -x flag it doesn't even try to boot it goes to saying i can't find the mach_kernel
id obviously prefer a fresh install by this or another guide but i seem to not have any luck with it

idea's?

thanks

@anarchy99  - i posted a zip file with a clover configuration for both the installer and the laptop. see my signature. you may want to disable the nvs gfx for now to see if you can get it to run.

@dainiookas - yes. i can boot my system 10.9 with Clover UEFI, CloverEFI (MBR) or chameleon (MBR).

@dainiookas - yes. i haven't been updating a chameleon/chimera deck since 10.8.4 as i have focused on use of clover. there is a zip (see my sig) that will work will either although the guide is about UEFI boot loader. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey tluck!

Home for Fall break and I'm about to update to 10.9 from 10.8.4. How should I do this? I'm still on Chameleon. What kexts will I need to update? I'm not sure if the Clover pack will work because Clover has its own patching on boot but Chameleon doesn't. Thanks.

@honeywell - well i hope you enjoy some time off .... and turkey?! see my sig for the latest clover pack and install instructions. I have found that pure UEFI is still a bit hokey on the T420 so i just boot clover from a small MBR USB. the pack i posted can be used to create a clover based 10.9 installer and it has the custom kexts (and new DSDT) you will need in a kext 10.9 folder. to test a move to clover you can use this same installer USB to boot your system as well. clover can do some nice kext patching. currently i have it patch the CPUPM and FrameBuffer kexts. so 2 less kexts to worry about. Clover can inject kexts from EFI folder but i prefer to replace the kexts in SLE vs inject them. you have replace AppleHDA and the Broadcom Bluetooth plugin anyway so as far as I'm concerned a few more is not a huge bother.  also, since my OS HD is GPT/GUID it don't have to fiddle with custom installers anymore. installation works just like a real mac! good luck!

PS. if you stay on chameleon, i did put a patched CPUPM kext in there too.  i suggest you try clover on a USB to get moved over!

Well, here we go again. Successfully booted into 10.9 with -x. Installed Chameleon, dsdt and kexts from your pack, rebooted, instant restart after Chameleon screen. Looked at -v and it seems to reboot after loading all kexts. The furthest I was able to get after fiddling around with kexts was past the boot screen with a blank white screen probably due to a graphics glitch again. Ideas? Thanks once again!

@honeywell -

ok. 1st question. are you trying with Clover or Chameleon?! i have lost touch with Chameleon so not sure what is wrong. 

i would turn off Bluetooth for now. white or white with splotches?  you can close and open (sleep/wake) and that often fixes things. 

if you have high-res LCD, i patched in a non broken EDID which fixes the white screen glitch. its in the new DSDT and/or clover will inject it.

i tell you. clover is super easy. you can even keep you MBR disk if you prefer.

install clover on USB with installer. see picture below

replace EFI CLOVER folder with zip contents.

replace kext in SLE

rename files to match LCD type.

done.

with clover, you leave these 2 kexts CPU and Framebuffer untouched (stock) and Clover patches them for you. if you replace them with a patched versions of CPUPM - thats ok clover will try to patch it but its already been done. no problem.

MBR on USB:

post-954945-0-35474900-1385388217_thumb.png

this should be an easy question to answer but it gets complicated on the T420. Clover was really geared towards UEFI on GPT but UEFI on the T420 is a bit unstable IMO.

So since you are on MBR you can stay MBR -- for the time being. ( the installers need to be tweaked to install directly to an MBR  partition). but it sounds like you got that figure out already. 

So you can on MBR and get comfortable with Clover and if you have a 2nd disk to experiment with format that GPT and install clover per my guide.

for MBR its pretty much the same except the 1st 3 check boxes are different to install in the hidden ESP etc.

anyway, you can just install Clover like in the picture above on your HD (or USB) then copy in the zip version of the CLOVER folder to replace the default CLOVER folder in /EFI. thats pretty much it.

@honeywell - did you put it in the hidden partition? what size USB is it. if it less than 4GB, apple diskutil won't create the ESP. .... so instead of wrestling with this it might be easier to make a MBR USB.

reformat the USB MBR  with single fat32 partition. (use options above)

then copy EFI folder to USB (same main partition)

Okay, update:

Installed Clover to USB again, this time I checked the first checkbox (Install for UEFI mobos). The Clover USB is formatted as msdos  GPT. Boot works, but i get a KP when I boot into  my install, which is on an MBR partition. I copied and pasted your EFI folder into the EFI partition that showed up after installing Clvoer to the USB. Also, I copied the kexts from your pack to my Mavericks install. I am able to boot into the Mavericks install with extremely glitchy graphics (screen stretched to half) with a Unib34st USB.

The KP I get seems related to AppleACPIPlatformExpert.

so i presume /EFI/CLOVER was entirely replaced by zip EFI/CLOVER?

which config.plist are you using? are you booting using the top level config.plist ? you did not rename ProductID folder yet?

btw, what is your configuration? - what LCD? and what CPU?

what old kexts do you have ? is this a clean mavericks or upgrade?

Update:

Wow, so close, yet so far. I followed your instructions tluck, from your signature, everything was going so well. I am able to get almost everything working just booting from the USB using the top level config.plist (graphics very glitchy though). I got into Mavericks, installed Clover, replaced /EFI with your pack, renamed OEM/ProductID.1600x900 to my PID (4236NUU), installed kexts to SLE, booted from hdd Clover, and I get a blank white screen after the apple logo. I can increase/decrease sound, speakers work fine. If I spam the wrong passwrod I can hear the sound, and I am able to log in and shut down the computer, but all with a white screen. So close!!! Any ideas?

@honeywell. that is weird for sure!!! but according to lenovo, your LCD is not 1600x900? maybe thats the problem? if so, you are injecting a bogus EDID and setting dual link to 1 when it should do neither?

instead, rename the OEM ProductID.1366x768 folder to 4236NUU and see if that works for you! - the difference between the 2 is the setting of DualLink and the EDID for 1600x900 LCDs.

ThinkPad T420 (4236-NUU) MODIFY CLEAR

15-2520M(2.50GHz) 4GB RAM 500GB 7200rpm HD 14in 1366x768 LCD Intel HD Graphics CDRW/DVDRW Bluetooth Modem 1Gb Ethernet UltraNav Secure Chip Fingerprint reader Camera 6c Li-Ion Win7 Pro 64

@honeywell - ok. thats cool. so then maybe you still probably need to test out the OEM 1366x768 file set - but edit the config.plist in there to set DualLink to 1. the idea is avoid the 1600x900 DSDT and config with the EDID mods in them.